Published 6 months ago by Claire O'Neal

3.0 out of 5 stars Helps Kids with Attention Issues - But Broke in the Pool
Published 15 months ago by S. Gockeler

3.0 out of 5 stars Helps Kids with Attention Issues - But Broke in the Pool, December 3, 2013
S. Gockeler (Rochester, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Timex Kids' T7B9819J "IronKids" Nylon Band Buckle Clasp Watch (Watch)
Bought this for my eight-year-old son and am so glad I did. We both love the alarm features. He uses it to make sure he comes home in time when out playing at a neighborhood friend's house, as well as for any other occasion when he needs to a little reminder about the passage of time. While it seems loaded with features (which I haven't figured out), it took him less time to master the functions than to get used to wearing a watch. This is his third watch. The others, without an alarm feature, were useless to him. I suppose he has been wearing this watch daily since the end of the summer. It is sturdy and can withstand bath time.

Update in April: This watch has been great. As I said above, it withstood bath time. However, one dip in the pool and it was shot. That doesn't constitute water resistant to me. Sure they have a one year warranty, but you have to pay a substantial fraction of the cost of the watch for processing. Plus the language of their return policy is a major deterrent: Timex will not provide any warranty service if your watch shows evidence that it has been tampered with, misused, abused, or altered; for example: moisture damage sufficient to affect the proper function of the watch; damage to the case; or visible cracking of the crystal. Well, yes, the watch was damaged by water moisture sufficient to affect the proper functioning. That's exactly the problem.

First time a Timex has let me down. It's fine for the winter, but we'll be looking for another brand with spring/summer here and every day spent in the water.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch for active little boys with competitive timekeeping needs, August 16, 2014
My 8-year-old son bought this watch with his own money to wear to school. The most important feature to him is how you can use it as a stopwatch so he and his friends can take turns timing each other in races on the playground. He loved the watch and wore it every day, including to a super-dirty, Lord-of-the-Flies-style day camp. It survived that! He left it behind at the pool. It survived that! But it did NOT survive being at the bottom of my pool bag. No idea why, but suddenly only half of the watch face is just blank. This renders the watch completely useless. We will be using Timex's kids' watch replacement guarantee -- if you save the UPC from the original box, Timex will replace any kids' watch within a year of purchase, no questions asked, for $10.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wristband Too Scrachy, February 21, 2014
My son really wanted a watch. He saw this one and really liked it. But when he put it on, the wristband was too big for his little wrist. He is almost 8 years old. I trimmed it and melted it to prevent fraying, but the scratchiness of the nylon was too much. We went looking for a band to replace it with but didn't find one. We will be purchasing a new one altogether. A soft fabric velcro one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine Watch, July 12, 2014
So far, so good. I was concerned that it wouldn't hold up on the wrist of a very active child, but we have not had a single issue. Keep the directions! My dear child managed to set an alarm for a very inconvenient time but didn't know how to correct it. :) Love that it lights up. Wrist band is comfortable enough that I haven't heard any complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy for him to put on and take off, December 4, 2014
Bought this watch for my 11 year old son. He has had it now for 2 months and loves it. He wears is everyday and it's even been in the shower, by accident, a few times and it's still tickin'. He enjoys the light up feature and he is always timing how long things take. Easy for him to put on and take off. Very pleased with the purchase. It's perfect for him!

1.0 out of 5 stars Last time for a Timex IronKids, March 10, 2014
Not only is this kids watch now larger than the old ladies Ironman watches, it comes with an irreplaceable watch band which doesn't use pins. It's also not a fast wrap so it doesn't fit slim wrists. It's pretty clear that the strategy with these watches is to force the user to buy a new one when the strap fails because the watch itself will keep working as long as the battery is replaced until the buttons fail.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not water resistant, July 7, 2013
My son loved the watch but after only 1 month and occasional pool use it got waterlogged. Not worth the effort to get repaired. Get something more durable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable, well-designed watch for kids, December 19, 2014
My kids love these IronKids watches, because they have all the features they like to use, including not only the stop watch, but the countdown timer also, alarm, etc. My daughter loves that the crystal (i.e. glass) is protected from marks and scratches because it is set below the top of the plastic case. Other watches seem to get scratches and marks on the glass easily, but these are more durable, especially important for kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!, January 13, 2015
Absolutely Brilliant! LOVE this watch. Had searched everywhere for a girl's digital watch for a petite wrist but had not been satisfied with overall product in all cases. Not only is it a Timex and have all the bells and whistles, you can actually see and read the manual, It was easy to set and has been a great source of enjoyment for my daughter and the rest of us (when we need to know the time)! HIGHLY Recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars and my initial impression was that the buttons were of poor quality and difficult to push, July 26, 2014
Gave this watch to my son in April, and my initial impression was that the buttons were of poor quality and difficult to push. In fact, the buttons were harder to push than my adult Ironman watch. My son would occasionally jump in the pool or shower with it on, but no extended exposure, and it is now failing with condensation inside to the point the face is barely visible.