Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Timex Unisex T5G841 1440 Sports Digital Silver-Tone/Black Resin Strap Watch
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on June 7, 2011
Okay, folks, you're getting a shallow review of a mass-produced, cheap watch.

First, size. They appear to have marketed this as "unisex" to make sure that while the size appeals to women, the colors still appeal to men (as it did to me), and for $14, who cares? A smaller watch helps it fit underneath buttoned sleeves, dig into your wrist less, and catch on fewer things if you are not wearing sleeves. I pooh-pooh comments that this is "too small" for men, because if size is the only thing that matters, we would do something about the national debt.

Second: Display. The 1440 is REALLY easy to read, and sports a readout that is identical OR LARGER than bigger "man-sized" watches. The time digits are clear and crisp, and because they are larger than the seconds/date fields, they stand out for an easy time check. I'm not crazy that the date is only a single digit above the time, but the relatively small face compromises space. Given that I don't usually need my watch to tell myself the date, I can live with it. Same with seconds above the time. This 1440 (there are others, look around) also lists "PM" before the time when you pass noon, a subtle reminder that you can switch from saying "good morning" to "good afternoon"!

Third: Water resistance. Other reviewers have already said it's questionable. I don't intentionally get any electronic product wet, so why play with fire?

Fourth: Features. The Timex manual is a fold-out, multiple-product, multiple language sheet. It's pretty easy to understand. Unlike the $17 Casio I just reviewed, I found the stopwatch and timer a breeze to learn and use in about 60 seconds. For a basic, cheap watch, it did its job.

Fifth: Beeping. I don't beeping like the fact that the buttons beep every time you beeping touch them, beep it all. Except for the beeping indiglo, which--fortunately--doesn't beep at all. Timex could have at least included an option to turn the beep off. Then again, I don't fiddle with watches much, so I doubt it will seriously be a problem. On a $14 watch.

Sixth: Comfort: The size of this watch actually contributes to the comfort factor, because a lot of those "mission to mars, man-sized" watches are about as comfortable as a rusty tuna can on your wrist. The little 1440 unisex is hardly there. It's light, doesn't shift around, and doesn't migrate much. I threw in on my wrist today--93 degrees, no air conditioning--and can barely tell it's there. Just snug it up to the last loop on your wrist, THEN BACK UP ONE HOLE. Finished.

Durability? I don't know. I used a fair amount of disposable income on a bunch of watches recently, so the 1440 is literally disposable, in my opinion. I plan to wear it on my "man-sized" wrist in rotation with several other watches until it gets a real test--durability; then I'll let you know.

And yes, I like the red; go look at a black, silver and red sportscar and see if that's too feminine for you!

Lastly, like the Casio I reviewed, the back is attached with screws, not friction. This means if the Timex lasts long enough to use up a battery, I'll be able to use a jeweler's screwdriver to replace it, rather than mashing the back on with a) a hammer; b) a pliers; c) "choose a clamp" or d) a bench vise. Think I'm joking? Think again. I've tried all four on other watches, with varying levels of success.

Alas, I am guilty of exceeding 100 words! If Amazon posts it, and you like honest detail, so much the better. If not, my humble apologies.
1111 comments| 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2009
This watch is attractive and well made at an excellent price point. I found it identical in function to other Timex models that cost twice the price. This watch has the following modes: time 1, time 2, alarm, stopwatch, and timer, all with indiglo option. The watch also notes the day and date. I found the watch very easy to set and operate, and recommend it to anyone.
22 comments| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2008
I was in the market for a new digital watch. The band on my old watch broke and replacement bands ran about $15 to $20 so I figured why not try and replace the watch. I then found this watch for under $20 and it looked sporty and had nice big numbers for my fading eyesite:o) My wrists are very tiny so it is very hard for me to find a nice watch without looking in the kids department so I figured I would give this watch a try. I definitely made the right choice. This is a really great watch. It fits my wrist on the second to last hole so people with bigger wrists still have 8 holes to go. The band is dark charcoal and the watch face is silver with pink on the sides. Looks much better in person. It has a timer, alarm, shows the date and the seconds as well as a button to press for a backlight to see the time if it is dark.
on July 28, 2010
My son, 11, has this watch. He wears it everywhere, including in the pool for swim practice and for all his scouting campouts and activities. The watch has held up well and still looks pretty good after over a year's constant wear.

For the price, I highly recommend this watch.
on October 4, 2011
This watch was purchased for our 9 year old son to replace a no-name sports watch that broke apart at the strap connection during a soccer practice. 9 year old kids are rough on things, but I was impressed that he kept up with it long enough for it to break. I suppose that swimming in the pool with the old watch on probably didn't do the plastic case any good and it eventually became brittle enough to break.

My biggest concern with buying a watch online was the size. His wrists are slender and I was afraid this watch might be too big. I figured that the price was low enough to take a risk and he would eventually grow into it if it were too big.

We put the watchband in the smallest hole, but the case of the watch is the perfect size. Not too big at all. It seems well built and should survive the rigors of rough play. I like that it is waterproof, fairly simple, and the buttons are easy to operate. The built in light works well enough. One of the best improvements with this watch over his old one is that the band in plastic. This will prevent it from absorbing water and sweat. That is a good thing, since the old cloth strap on his former watch was beginning to get funky. Finally, I like the fairly simple style. My son is too old for Toy Story or similar character watches. He wanted something more grown up looking.

For the price, I don't think you can go wrong with this for a kid. I recommend it. The size is pretty close to a ladies small sports watch, so I think a woman with smaller wrists might also find this watch to be well fitting

Update: After owning this watch for six months, one of the buttons fell off. It still works, but you need a paperclip or something to set it. I'm taking a star off for that and knocking it down to 4 starts.
on November 11, 2013
I received this watch in the mail a few days ago, complete with instructions manual for Timex watch model W-292 036-095000 NA. On the surface it looks OK- similar to other real Timex watches I have owned, but a few red flags made me take a hard look at this watch and determine that it is actually not a real Timex. Among these: Nowhere on the watch- not on the front, back, sides or band does the the watch have a TIMEX brand mark on it. Instead, it is marked 1440 Sport in 3 different places. Curious, I went to the timex website and entered in every possible combination of the product serial numbers I could find. Including the ones on the watch, in the written materials and on the Amazon website. These included the model number listed, the 1440 Sport, the W-292 number the the 036-095000 etc. Nothing came up on any of them. I then looked to see if i could find a picture of it on the official site- again nothing even close. So dear reader, this is a fake, which would explain both the cheap price and some of the negative reviews around the waterproof issues etc. I haven't dunked mine in water yet so i can't comment on it, though I'm pretty sure it won't hold up. However, I do like the look of this watch and the functions seem to work and it was super cheap (hence the 2 stars). Plus, even my "real" timex watches don't last that long, so I will see how this fake one does in comparison. But buyer beware, this is a fake- and not even a good one.
VINE VOICEon August 25, 2011
This is a great little watch, if you treat it right. Perfect size and colors for a young boy (9 years old), but it is NOT waterproof. My son wore it in the bath tub and it is ruined. The alarm is going off randomly, the lens is all fogged up and now the digital readout is completely funky and incorrect. If you don't plan on taking it in the water, however, it is a great little watch. I am giving it a one star because Timex advertises it as water resistant to a depth of 165 feet. It clearly is NOT.
on March 9, 2009
There are some reviews for this watch that complain about the instructions not being easily understood, which I too found myself believing when I first read them, but if you read them again, and follow each step as described, the instructions become quite clear.
on June 25, 2013
I bought this watch for my 7-year old son so I didn't want to spend too much money, but I also didn't want a cheap watch that wouldn't hold up to the rigors of childhood. I looked at children's watches and most looked to be of cheap quality or would be embarrassing to wear as he got older or had no features other than telling time. Honestly, though, my main criteria was that it had to fit without looking too large and had to be water resistant so there wouldn't be too much concern if he got it wet. This watch seemed to fit the bill.

To me, the watch looks nicer in person than online. The red on the sides of the face is more of a metallic maroon than red. The band is a grayish brown that's translucent. You can kind of see it in the picture on the bottom strap near the back. Of course, when worn it does look black.

As far as being unisex, I guess it can be considered so, but just barely. It looks nice on my son's wrist. On me, and I have small wrists, it looks like a woman's watch in size. The colors and design pass as unisex so that's good.

In case you wanted to know, on the very last hole it is still loose on my son's wrist. He could probably use one more hole in the band to make it fit right, but it works fine as is. There are ten holes on the band and it fits me at the 8th one. So there's plenty of room for larger wrists.

The watch has some nice features such as dual time, stopwatch, timer, and alarm. That's plenty for any kid. The time display is a nice size that takes up most of the face of the watch. At the top is a small, white letter in a black circle for the day of the week. Under that is the day of the month. Next to that is the word date followed by the seconds. Personally, I think they should have put the full date on that line and either taken off the seconds or make the seconds tiny and put it next to the hours and minutes. Perhaps that's because I'm used to Ironman and G-Shock watches. My son probably doesn't care.

Here are the cons I found with this watch:

- When the buttons are pressed, they cause a quite audible beep. There isn't a way to turn that off.
- The order of the modes doesn't make sense to me. Pushing the mode button cycles time, stopwatch, alarm, timer, time2. Again, perhaps I'm just used to Ironman and G-Shock watches, but I would think it makes more sense to go time, time2, alarm, stopwatch, timer.
- The glass(?) face is curved and at it's highest point is above the case so it's easy to scratch. The first time my son was wearing it, we were in line at a restaurant and he bumped the wall next to him causing a minor scratch. He was bummed that his new watch was already scratched. If that's a big concern, you might consider a Casio Baby G watch or something similar, but expect to pay at least twice as much.

Overall, this is a good watch for a decent price. It worked for my purposes and my son really likes it.
on July 5, 2009
I needed a watch that I could use while traveling and doing outdoor activities. This watch more than fit the bill. It's very comfortable, easy to read and the instructions were easy to follow. My DH liked it so much that he's asked for the men's version for his birthday. For the price you can't beat this watch. Excellent value for an excellent watch.