5.0 out of 5 stars Love this watch!
Published on December 2, 2008 by M. Duong

1.0 out of 5 stars Another loyal Timex Customer sorely disappointed
****I am also sending this to Timex Customer Service****

Published on September 8, 2011 by DK

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this watch!, December 2, 2008
M. Duong (Millbrae, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Timex Women's T5K007 Ironman Sleek 50-Lap Plum/Gray Resin Strap Watch (Watch)
I was looking for a sporty, young-looking, low-profile, waterproof, unique digital watch. I only need it for day-to-day timekeeping and recreational swimming, so lap functions are not important to me. This watch was perfect for my needs--it's beautiful, fits my college style, keeps great time, and is waterproof (the instruction sheet is very specific about not pushing any buttons while the watch is in water). I've never had problems with condensation, water seepage, or anything malfunctioning, despite having worn it for recreational swimming in a chlorinated pool.

The watch, true to its name, is sleek. It's not bulky like other sports watches, and doesn't scream "Hardcore Runner!" which is great because I'm not one. On the other hand, it's also not tiny-dainty, which is good news for my bigger stature. The Indiglo-lit numbers are very bright and perfectly readable in low light. The default watch display shows time (with seconds), date (month and day), and day of the week. These are all easy to read at a glance.

The watch is truly dark purple and white, like in the picture, and feminine without being girly. I actually wear my watch with the face on the inside of my wrist because that's how my best friend in high school wore it--the band and clasp look good, and so far I haven't scratched the face.

Overall, I am very pleased with this watch!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and functional watch, GREAT SERVICE from Timex!, December 17, 2009
**Edit: I went through about 4 of these, each time getting it replaced for $10 and just recently gave up and bought a new, more sturdy model. Great watch, but the strap just keeps breaking free of the watch face - highly annoying!**

I have had this watch for 2 years, and love it. I wear it every day for sports and just as my daily watch. It is easy to set, easy to use, and VERY waterproof (I have done triathlons in it.)

My only complaint was that the rubberized watch band cracked at the place where it bends daily as I put it on. BUT, I sent it into Timex, and they replaced the ENTIRE UNIT for only $10! I had it back in about 2 weeks. Now that is some awesome service!!! (A rare thing, these days)

Highly recommended!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Another loyal Timex Customer sorely disappointed, September 8, 2011
DK (SLO, California) - See all my reviews
****I am also sending this to Timex Customer Service****

Like many of these other reviews, I have loved Timex Ironman Triathlete watches for years - ever since I ran my first marathon nearly a decade ago, and the watch dutifully recorded my mile split times. I wore that first watch nonstop for four years - while working out, in the shower, doing dishes, etc. It was wonderfully convenient. Eventually, the strap broke, and I replaced my blue one with a black one (more professional-seeming, since by then I was a college professor and no longer a student!). I had that watch for two years and it was wonderful until the strap broke. I've worn these watches through half-marathons, triathlons, and everyday stuff, all the time. (I am, however, careful to never wear them in hot tubs, because I have heard the heat ruins watches). I've worn the black one to "fancy" events, and I wear these watches so much it drives my much-more-stylish boyfriend crazy that I will not get a "proper" watch.

So on for two more Timex Ironman watches, each one breaking a little faster than the other, until the one I currently own, which I've had for less than a year. After just a few wears in the pool to swim laps, the watch face grew cloudy, and finally the numbers just faded completely.

The watch claims to be water-resistant to 100 meters, which suggests I should be able to wear it swimming freestyle laps. The fact that it is called "Ironman" suggests that it should be able to be worn for triathlons - which always begin with a swimming segment. The fact that these watches seem to be of lesser and lesser quality is highly disappointing. I will no longer be a loyal Timex customer.

Although I do have the original receipt indicating the watch is only six months old, Timex's warranty does not cover "moisture damage":

From their website:

"2) Timex will not provide any warranty service if your watch shows evidence that it has been tampered with, misused, abused, or altered; for example:

- moisture damage sufficient to affect the proper function of the watch;
- damage to the case; or
- visible cracking of the crystal" ([...])

While the last two seem like "evidence that it has been tampered with," a watch that purports to be water resistant to 100 m should be covered in the event that it fails to be adequately water resistant as promised.

Shame on you, Timex. And so disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, looks terrible, July 8, 2009
I bought the pink version of this watch. Within a month, the pretty pink band was an ugly, dingy gray, and you cannot replace the band. After a couple of years of daily wear, the band started coming loose around 3 out of the 4 buttons, to the point where the band can come off completely in those areas, so now it sits loosely around the buttons. Also attracts dirt in the space where there isn't a band. Watch itself works great however.

1.0 out of 5 stars Timex of yesterday is no more, May 30, 2011
The quality of Timex today separates it from the company it was in the past. I purchased the Ironman watch for my wife last July (under a year), and 3 things have gone wrong. First, the rubber movable rubber band holder broke for no apparent reason. Sort of like when a rubber band dries up and breaks. Second, the pink on the watch body has been wearing off. I thought it was strange, and I noticed that with a fingernail it will fairly easily scratch right off. Third, the rubber watch band broke - right in the middle on one side. This is seemingly impossible, as it's RUBBER. She has forgotten to take it off a couple times when rinsing off dishes with Dawn dish soap. But that's the closest she's come to interacting with chemicals.

Timex' response: We only warranty the watch movement. A broken band is 'normal wear and tear'. They offered to 'take a look at it' if I mailed it in with the original receipt (which I didn't keep more than a week or so), and include an additional $7. for return postage.

I emailed a photo of the band, showing it was clearly broken in the middle (as mentioned, rather odd for 'rubber'). They responded, 'Sorry, that's not covered by warranty'.

Cute watch, but as the color on the body wears off and the rubber band can easily break (as can be seen by all the negative reviews on the internet), I'd say avoid Timex and go with a quality Casio instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT USE IN THE WATER, September 17, 2010
I have bought 3 ironman watches in the last 3 years, all different versions of this watch. The first one went out while I was diving, the second one I did not dive with but stopped working while I was swimming. The third one worked for a while because I was careful not to dive or swim with it, until I accidently left it on while diving and guess what... it doesn't work anymore. I was careful not to touch any buttons while I was in the water since I knew that would flood the watch.
So if you are just wearing this watch in the shower to to wash your hands, it will last a long time and it has some nice features for workouts. I am going to switch to the Casio baby-G which is supposed to be more waterproof.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it!, February 2, 2010
I have to return this watch twice. I bought it for my daughter who is a swimmer. First it had leaks after one month (supposed to be waterproof!!) and pieces had fallen apart. Only the look is nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Watch Ever, May 1, 2009
Drummgurl (Brighton, MA) - See all my reviews
I have had this watch for 4 years now and its honestly the best purchase I ever made. Its extremely water proof and has endured almost all of college for me. Its very slim around the wrist so its airy and it doesn't make me sweat alot. I also love the three alarms and I used the timers all the time! Best decision ever!!

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING : may not stay together., January 6, 2011
Donald Gillies "secretbearer" (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
The entire watch movement fell out of the band. If you look closely, you can see that the band sort of holds the watch movement snug - for a while, at least. We are out $35 with a watch that lasted less than 3 months. What can I say? In a lifetime of owning TIMEX watches, this has been the largest disappointment of all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good watch but..........., August 9, 2010
I got this watch to replace a different one that I broke the band on.
About 6 month after I got it the band came undone from the right bottom corner.
next the top left corner. There is NO warranty on the band so I'm kind of stuck with it glued!!!!
Otherwise I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!