Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Timex Women's T5K007 Ironman Sleek 50-Lap Plum Resin Watch with Purple Strap
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on December 2, 2008
I was looking for a sporty, young-looking, low-profile, waterproof, unique digital watch. I only need it for day-to-day timekeeping and recreational swimming, so lap functions are not important to me. This watch was perfect for my needs--it's beautiful, fits my college style, keeps great time, and is waterproof (the instruction sheet is very specific about not pushing any buttons while the watch is in water). I've never had problems with condensation, water seepage, or anything malfunctioning, despite having worn it for recreational swimming in a chlorinated pool.

The watch, true to its name, is sleek. It's not bulky like other sports watches, and doesn't scream "Hardcore Runner!" which is great because I'm not one. On the other hand, it's also not tiny-dainty, which is good news for my bigger stature. The Indiglo-lit numbers are very bright and perfectly readable in low light. The default watch display shows time (with seconds), date (month and day), and day of the week. These are all easy to read at a glance.

The watch is truly dark purple and white, like in the picture, and feminine without being girly. I actually wear my watch with the face on the inside of my wrist because that's how my best friend in high school wore it--the band and clasp look good, and so far I haven't scratched the face.

Overall, I am very pleased with this watch!
review image review image review image review image review image
11 comment|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2011
****I am also sending this to Timex Customer Service****

Like many of these other reviews, I have loved Timex Ironman Triathlete watches for years - ever since I ran my first marathon nearly a decade ago, and the watch dutifully recorded my mile split times. I wore that first watch nonstop for four years - while working out, in the shower, doing dishes, etc. It was wonderfully convenient. Eventually, the strap broke, and I replaced my blue one with a black one (more professional-seeming, since by then I was a college professor and no longer a student!). I had that watch for two years and it was wonderful until the strap broke. I've worn these watches through half-marathons, triathlons, and everyday stuff, all the time. (I am, however, careful to never wear them in hot tubs, because I have heard the heat ruins watches). I've worn the black one to "fancy" events, and I wear these watches so much it drives my much-more-stylish boyfriend crazy that I will not get a "proper" watch.

So on for two more Timex Ironman watches, each one breaking a little faster than the other, until the one I currently own, which I've had for less than a year. After just a few wears in the pool to swim laps, the watch face grew cloudy, and finally the numbers just faded completely.

The watch claims to be water-resistant to 100 meters, which suggests I should be able to wear it swimming freestyle laps. The fact that it is called "Ironman" suggests that it should be able to be worn for triathlons - which always begin with a swimming segment. The fact that these watches seem to be of lesser and lesser quality is highly disappointing. I will no longer be a loyal Timex customer.

Although I do have the original receipt indicating the watch is only six months old, Timex's warranty does not cover "moisture damage":

From their website:

"2) Timex will not provide any warranty service if your watch shows evidence that it has been tampered with, misused, abused, or altered; for example:

- moisture damage sufficient to affect the proper function of the watch;
- damage to the case; or
- visible cracking of the crystal" ([...])

While the last two seem like "evidence that it has been tampered with," a watch that purports to be water resistant to 100 m should be covered in the event that it fails to be adequately water resistant as promised.

Shame on you, Timex. And so disappointing.
on December 17, 2009
**Edit: I went through about 4 of these, each time getting it replaced for $10 and just recently gave up and bought a new, more sturdy model. Great watch, but the strap just keeps breaking free of the watch face - highly annoying!**

I have had this watch for 2 years, and love it. I wear it every day for sports and just as my daily watch. It is easy to set, easy to use, and VERY waterproof (I have done triathlons in it.)

My only complaint was that the rubberized watch band cracked at the place where it bends daily as I put it on. BUT, I sent it into Timex, and they replaced the ENTIRE UNIT for only $10! I had it back in about 2 weeks. Now that is some awesome service!!! (A rare thing, these days)

Highly recommended!!
on July 8, 2009
I bought the pink version of this watch. Within a month, the pretty pink band was an ugly, dingy gray, and you cannot replace the band. After a couple of years of daily wear, the band started coming loose around 3 out of the 4 buttons, to the point where the band can come off completely in those areas, so now it sits loosely around the buttons. Also attracts dirt in the space where there isn't a band. Watch itself works great however.
on May 30, 2011
The quality of Timex today separates it from the company it was in the past. I purchased the Ironman watch for my wife last July (under a year), and 3 things have gone wrong. First, the rubber movable rubber band holder broke for no apparent reason. Sort of like when a rubber band dries up and breaks. Second, the pink on the watch body has been wearing off. I thought it was strange, and I noticed that with a fingernail it will fairly easily scratch right off. Third, the rubber watch band broke - right in the middle on one side. This is seemingly impossible, as it's RUBBER. She has forgotten to take it off a couple times when rinsing off dishes with Dawn dish soap. But that's the closest she's come to interacting with chemicals.

Timex' response: We only warranty the watch movement. A broken band is 'normal wear and tear'. They offered to 'take a look at it' if I mailed it in with the original receipt (which I didn't keep more than a week or so), and include an additional $7. for return postage.

I emailed a photo of the band, showing it was clearly broken in the middle (as mentioned, rather odd for 'rubber'). They responded, 'Sorry, that's not covered by warranty'.

Cute watch, but as the color on the body wears off and the rubber band can easily break (as can be seen by all the negative reviews on the internet), I'd say avoid Timex and go with a quality Casio instead.
on September 17, 2010
I have bought 3 ironman watches in the last 3 years, all different versions of this watch. The first one went out while I was diving, the second one I did not dive with but stopped working while I was swimming. The third one worked for a while because I was careful not to dive or swim with it, until I accidently left it on while diving and guess what... it doesn't work anymore. I was careful not to touch any buttons while I was in the water since I knew that would flood the watch.
So if you are just wearing this watch in the shower to to wash your hands, it will last a long time and it has some nice features for workouts. I am going to switch to the Casio baby-G which is supposed to be more waterproof.
88 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2015
I collect watches. What I have noticed that I miss is the day/date feature that isn't on most watches. Some have the small date number at the three o'clock position but since I only need glasses for reading, I can't just glance down, but I have to put on glasses. Just to see the date. This watch has all the information and I actually don't need glasses to see the info I am looking for. It is exactly the color in the picture. It has an indiglo feature and it lights up bright enough to see everything on the face of the watch. It also has timers and stop watch settings that I don't use and it can be set to chime on the hour which I do have set. It is not so loud as to be annoying or probably even noticed by anyone else. You can leave it on in the shower and use it for swimming but not diving. I have only had a couple of weeks, but it is keeping time very well. It also has 24 hour (military) time, but I use the 12 hour AM/PM time.

I recommend this watch if it has the options you are looking for in a watch. If there is any change I will update this review here.
on November 27, 2014
I've always had exactly this type of timex for my watch my whole life, just in different colors. I wear it ALL the time.

What you need to know is:

` With these types of watches, they'll last a good year

` The strap will slowly break and they do not have replacements for straps(I use ducktape when they break and have to keep changing the duck tape cause the strap will keep breaking)

` The actual center watch will last forever even if the strap won't, the watch never runs out of power

` This purple color has the most durable strap and the indiglo(light-up) lasts longest, so I recommend this one the most.

` I've found that any other color is less durable(I've had pink, blue, and yellow)

` I've found PINK is the LEAST durable, and also turns a dark pink/purple color after barely a few days of wear, AND the indiglo(light-up) feature breaks almost instantly, in a few days usually.

So keeping all that in mind, I do recommend this watch. It's good for the price and I've always loved it, especially in the purple color because this one specifically is more durable than any other color.
on January 6, 2011
The entire watch movement fell out of the band. If you look closely, you can see that the band sort of holds the watch movement snug - for a while, at least. We are out $35 with a watch that lasted less than 3 months. What can I say? In a lifetime of owning TIMEX watches, this has been the largest disappointment of all.
on May 22, 2011
For the price, a great watch. I am just starting to run for exercise and needed a not-too-expensive watch that had an interval timer. This one works great. I set it to beep for 2 minutes of running and a minute of walking. It's cute too. I got the purple one and really like the color. I really recommend it. I am a little worried about the strap getting worn out after a while from putting in on and taking it off but it was only $30 so when it finally breaks it won't be too big of a deal...