Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ten Timid Ghosts (Read With Me Paperbacks)
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 16, 2000
The illustrations are so great that I bought this without even reading the book! When I read it to my daughter I was very happy with the story.
A witch decides to move into the TEN TIMID GHOSTS' happy haunted house. She scares each ghost away, one-by-one, using a different disguise or prop each time--skeleton, bat, ghoul, cat, owl, vampire, monster, spider, rat, and mummy. The last clever ghost the witch frightens away figures out that it was her the whole time and tells the other ghost friends who are now homeless in the woods. Now we've got ten Angry ghosts...I'm not going to give away the ending but it is terrific!
I highly recommend this book; not only is it entertaining with wonderful illustrations but it is a countdown backwards from 10 so it is good for any age child to enjoy! My daughter is 2 and can count to five (well sometimes... so this will come in handy once she has learned to count to ten then she can have a fun way to count backwards! Actually she can count to ten: she'll say "one, two, four, ten!" LOL!)
Thanks Jennifer! You've got a winner here!
on April 16, 2003
I chose this book to use in a math workshop for kindergarten and first grade teachers. Teachers enjoyed the book and were excited about using it in their classrooms. It is a great resource to use during the month of October to help students recognize numbers and work with number combinations. Not only did the teachers love the book, but my four year old son also loved the book. Desipte the fact that Halloween is long over, he still insists on reading it all the time. He loves the illustrations and the story line. It is a wonderful book with clever and predictable word patterns that also encourages young children to practice recognizing their numbers.
on August 26, 2002
The ten timid ghosts are just minding their own business, haunting their house like always when a witch decides to move in on their turf. She tries all kinds of scary costumes (that are actually quite funny) and she almost succeeds in clearing the ghosts out of their own space, but her hoax unravels in the end. Find out how! The illustrations are colorful and fun-filled. The text is simple and easy for little ones to follow. Maybe not a Halloween classic but a fun story that little ones are sure to enjoy that you can read in the days leading up to Halloween to familiarize little ones with spooky costumes.
on September 13, 2011
My 3-year old son couldn't get enough of the story and had me read it several times after receiving it. Here it is a year later and he a year older and he still wants to read it at least once a week. The illustrations are not too spooky and if you look closely, quite clever. A must read for little ones with the added benefit of helping them learn to count backwards from 10.
on December 19, 2015
Love this very cute story. We read it year-round, not just at Halloween.

Update:
In addition to the cute story and fun rhymes, We've started using this book to help our 3yo count, identify numerals, and do very rudimentary math. He identifies the large number on each page, counts the ghosts on each page, and then we discuss if there are X ghosts, how many will there be when one leaves? It's a great tool in addition to being a great story.
on October 31, 2015
This book became a favorite in my house this October! I purchased and borrowed several Halloween books throughout this month, but this one was by far the most requested by my two kids (ages 2 and 4). I'm glad I bought it! The prose is catchy, the story is cute, and the illustrations are fun.
on November 17, 2015
Bought this for my 4year old niece, she loves "scary" stories. She said it was a bit too scary, but she wanted to read it ten times. So I think she likes the thrill of reading "scary" stories. This is not too scary at all. It does have ghosts and a mean witch though.
on October 8, 2014
First of all, this is my 2-year old daughter's FAVORITE Halloween book, and current favorite book overall right now. She's fascinated by the "scary" things - that don't really scare her that much in actuality. I love that her introduction to "ghosts" is to nice, "timid" ghosts! She now loves ghosts! lol. When she sees other ghosts around for Halloween meant to scare, she thinks they're not so scary. ;-) Best of all, the book has made her so interested in counting. She loves to count the ghosts and the book has been largely responsible for her learning to count to 10. I highly recommend this book for toddlers.
on December 13, 2015
Such a cute story; my 4-year-old loves it! He thinks it's funny, and isn't afraid of ghosts or dark places because of books like this. When ghosts are the "good guys," it makes being afraid of them kind of silly. Cute & clever rhythmic writing that is easy enough to memorize makes him feel like he can read it to me. Totally worth it.
on September 29, 2015
Fantastic book! My two year old loves it, the older ones love it. And it's not a pain to read over and over and over as they like it so much! Rhythmic and rhyming with good pictures for the kids to pick out the characters.