4.0 out of 5 stars Soulful Rocking, November 23, 2002
This review is from: Tiny Town (Audio CD)
Pat McLaughlin is a favorite solo artists of mine. All 4 of the CD's I have give the same kind of soulful rocking flavor on much of the Tiny Town disc. Although, "Get Out & Stay Out," "Pat McLaughlin" on Capitol, "Unglued" & "Wind It On Up" are hard to find these days, it made me jump for joy when the back cover said Pat was part of this band. Even though I had to scratch the bottom of my change purse, I did not leave the store without it. Also, although I never listened to Subdudes, Tommy Malone's solo disc "Soul Heavy" has spent a long time in my changer with "Fat Tuesday" a particular favorite.
Which brings me to this excellent disc. Pat's front & center on the opener "I'm Sorry Baby" which is about the bounciest breakup song you're likely to hear. Tommy takes over on "Pretty Pink Flower" with some stinging lead guitar in the bridge. Although I usually lean toward the rockers, one of my favorites is the slower "Love Lead Us Home" with its addictive beat, the punctuation of organ flourishes and that stately lead guitar on a song about violence, "Ain't it cute how they gun each other down?" Tommy does lead vocals on the midtempo pop track "Hollywood" & then rocks on "Don't Let Time Run Out." Pat gives "Baby Ain't Got No Home" that blue-eyed soul feel somewhere between Otis Redding & Hall & Oates. Johnny Ray Allen gives a sound like The Band on "Learning How to Live." "The good news is I ain't dead yet," Pat sings on the earnest "New Day." "Straight Up" is a boogie jam that'd make the Allman Brothers Band proud! Johnny Ray gives more Band flavor on "Little Child" which repeats the track title a few too many times in the lyric. Tiny Town gets funky & soulful on "Save It for a Rainy Day." "Follow You Home" has driving electric lead on this pulsing rocker. The song "Tiny Town" is a wistful musical mission statement, "You might think honesty is a virtue & let kindness shine on through; In all the other towns I been to the people act like they got no clue." Tiny Town's music will keep your toe tapping and a smile on your face. U snooze, U lose!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tommy Malone IS the Dude in "Tiny Town", August 25, 2004
This review is from: Tiny Town (Audio CD)
Southern Sweat and Nasty... Hey, Subdude Fans, Tommy is rock'n. Naw'lins shakes from the thrill of Blues & jazz creole... ALL GOOD. Oh sooo Tasty. It must be Saturday Night! GUMBO ROCK... a CAN'T Miss CD.

(unless you hate FUN)

4.0 out of 5 stars Digidy! Not bad boys!, December 21, 1998
This review is from: Tiny Town (Audio CD)
By some amazing twist of fate, the vary day i recieved my copy of this album (from this very outlet) I went to see Little Feat at a club in Boston. On the drive down I threw in the disc, and man was I psyched. This disc was everything I had hoped for, having stumbeled onto the Subdudes just as they were departing into the the land of the here-after.
When I met up with my friends before the Feat show, my buddy pulled me aside and asked if I had ever heard of the opening band: Tiny Town! Well, let me tell you. not only is the album fine, but these boys rocked the joint at the Avalon that night. Pick up the album. And if they are in your town check out the live show. I hope this is just the beginning of Tiny Town.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dude-Heads listen up! Tiny Town goes to the next level., November 10, 1998
This review is from: Tiny Town (Audio CD)
I bought this CD with a mixture of high expectation and a little apprehension. Being a dedicated Subdudes fan, I expected the level of musicianship and "listen-ability" of a Subdudes record, and I did not want Subdude substitutions--new players covering old styles and songs. What I did get far exceeded my expectations. The musicianship is on par if not superior to a Subdudes performance and recording. Stylistically, the songwriting and performance are a new and very agreeable animal: very slick, extremely tight rhythm and blues. Tommy Malone realizes his soul influences, with sounds reminescent of Al Green and Marvin Gaye. His guitar work and singing are superstar status. There is Boogie, there is Rock, there are Blues. I thought I'd miss Steve Amedee's trademark drum, but Blevins is INCREDIBLE and earned my ear instantly. The album definitely captures the vital energy of a live performance, and I can assure you all, a Tiny Town show is every bit as stunning if not more so than any Subdudes show, which is saying a hell of alot. I couldnt be happier to have a new and different favorite band rise up from the Subdudes. Tommy and Co have talent, class and style, and are successfully pushing onward with fresh material. I cant wait to hear on their next disc the material they are now playing on their tour. LONG LIVE TINY TOWN!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars More great music from New Orleans, August 22, 1998
Duris L. Holmes (New Orleans, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tiny Town (Audio CD)
Those familiar with the music of former Colorado/New Orleans band the subdudes will recognize former subdudes vocalist/lead guitarist Tommy Malone and bassist Johnny Ray Allen. They joined with gifted "Nashville songwriter" Pat McLaughlin (he cowrote "Daddy's Little Pumpkin" with John Prine and is one of the writers featured on Nanci Griffith's "Other Voices Too") and drummer Kenneth Blevins to form Tiny Town. This debut is excellent. Highlights are "I'm Sorry Baby", "New Day" and "Little Child". Some songs sound like the subdudes though many have a little bluesier edge and rock harder. Highly recommended. Local newspaper Gambit says (in a copyrighted article) that ten years from now you can pull the CD out and it probably won't have changed a bit, that "it sounds timeless", and "it's one of the finest records of this kind this year. After listening, I agree 100%.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best live shows I've seen..., January 9, 2009
This review is from: Tiny Bell Trio (Audio CD)
...a hole-in-the-wall club in NYC. These guys were so playful, really a great show. This disc captures some of that energy, even though it was recorded in a studio. It is angular, upbeat, original. Lots of influences here: post-bop, Eastern European gypsy vibe, and downtown skronk mix it up in highly entertaining ways. It can get a little noisy in places, so if you're looking for smooth jazz this ain't for you. Challenging and still satisfies 10 years after I got it. Very worthy. Essential for Douglas fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars flavorful CD recipe, September 4, 1998
This review is from: Tiny Town (Audio CD)
How do you stir up the perfect musical recipe? 1. Start with two cups of The Band 2. Add a pinch of Steve Miller 3. Add a dash of Little Feat 4. Blend in a clove of Peter Gabriel 5. Season to taste with a whole lot of SubDudes 6. Simmer to perfection and serve. You and your guests are sure to ask for seconds of this flavorful CD which will leave you contentedly full, but not stuffed. This collection of songs cooks from start to finish. I was starvin for the Subdudes after their final CD but the evolution to Tiny Town sure hits the spot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top 10 albums, February 23, 2008
RWstone "RWstone" (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tiny Town (Audio Cassette)
Tiny Town is one of the finest recorded albums (CD) recorded in the last ten years! If you don't own it, you have missed out on a special recording that is seldom accomplished. The grouping of talent is a special combination of wonderful artistry that should have completed more than this singular accomplishment - which is monumentous! Treat yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Great, June 13, 2004
chris (Pittsburg, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tiny Bell Trio (Audio CD)
There's not really much to tell - Dave is a fantastic trumpeter and a fairly creative guy to boot, and this (along with the Charms of the Night Sky group) may be his best band. Good writing and fantastic interplay - special mention goes to Jim "Han-Bennink-Jr." Black on the drums - make this album instantly enjoyable, and it holds up to repeated listens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny Town, August 25, 2004
This review is from: Tiny Town (Audio CD)
I was lucky enough to catch this band live at Jazz Fest New Orleans in 99 just before they split,the CD is every bit as goooooood,im going to enjoy following up the rest of the bands music Enjoy its well worth the money

Tiny Bell Trio
Tiny Bell Trio by Tiny Town (Audio CD - 1997)
Rate and Discover Movies