5.0 out of 5 stars Big tastes, tiny food- I love this book
I'm going to be completely honest before I start gushing about the cute. I love tiny things, adore tiny foods, and love good food well made. It just delights me, well-made tiny foods are a joy to look at it and to eat.

Published 22 months ago by Shala Kerrigan

2.0 out of 5 stars Adjust your expectations - and read carefully
I really wanted to like this book. The idea is cute and everyone loves tiny bites. I don't know if the fault is with the authors or the editors but this book has a ton of errors.

The very first recipe lists triple the amount of mozzarella you need for the caprese skewers if you actually read the directions.

For the mini corn dogs (or any recipe...
Published 10 months ago by Lindsay Martz

2.0 out of 5 stars Adjust your expectations - and read carefully, November 9, 2013
This review is from: Tiny Food Party!: Bite-Size Recipes for Miniature Meals (Paperback)

For the mini corn dogs (or any recipe where you are going to fry toothpicks or skewers) soak the toothpicks first. The photo doesn't match - you can tell those corn dogs were skewered after frying, which doesn't match the directions.

The Boston Cream Cakes look delicious. However they weren't made with the pans in the directions. The instructions have you bake 2 x 9 inch round cakes and then cut out little rounds from the cooled cake with a cookie cutter. The cakes in the photo were baked in tiny pans (popover pan possibly, or other specialty pan). You can tell because every outer piece is perfectly golden brown and showing no crumb. If it was cut out if a larger cake you wouldn't see dark edges, it would only be the lighter inside.

The fried apples pies have odd wording in the instructions. The last sentence of step 1 is "place pies in the refrigerator and chill 30 minutes". Easy enough but at this point you don't have pies, you have two slabs of dough, one with little mounds of filling. Are you supposed to chill the dough before rolling out, or does it mean put the dough slabs on cutting boards and chill (which to me would dry it out)? Or do you chill the completed pies before frying? If I was making this I would have rolled out the dough right on my counter top, making transferring it a bit difficult.

A lot of the recipes are fried, which is fine, but they are all then "serve immediately". I will tell you that frying tends to make a mess and it's not what I want to be doing while trying to welcome guests. It's fun for an informal gathering of friends but may not work in some situations.

I don't expect to be able to duplicate cookbook photos when I cook at home. I'm not a professional chef or food stylist. However I get frustrated when photos are obviously doctored and I have NO chance of achieving the expected results from following the recipe. That just sets you up for failure. This book has far too many errors and misleading photos to be of any use to me. I didn't analyze every recipe for errors, just read through ones that sounded or looked especially good and these were the things that jumped out at me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big tastes, tiny food- I love this book, November 2, 2012

Tiny Food Party! -Bite Sized Recipes for Miniature Meals by Teri Lyn Fish and Jenny Park is full of tiny, appetizer 1 and 2 bite versions of regular food. While the focus is on making things small, there is also a strong focus on making them well so they are as delicious as they are cute to make for truly impressive appetizers. A lot of the recipes could also be used in bento style lunches, tea party foods, or even a full meal for a dinner party which allows guests to try several different things.

The photographs are wonderful, the colors are bright and cheerful and the instructions are clearly written with American style volume measurements. A few of the recipes use common convenience ingredients, but most of them are made from scratch. The recipes have a nice gourmet/foodie flair with details and flavors like mini churros made with candied bacon in the batter and suggestions for 3 different dipping sauces.

Here's where I start squealing and clapping. Because those recipes? Are fantastic, clever and incredibly tasty. Shallots in a light, perfect batter to make tiny onion rings, perfect mashed potatoes piped in rosettes on tiny Shepard's Pies, miniature eclairs! If you look at the cover, you can see the little Caprese skewers with a Balsamic vinegar glaze. Under that are miniature toaster pastries. That recipe comes with a few suggestions for filling so you could make them to suit almost anyone's tastes.

One of my husband's favorite recipes, except for size (he feels like a giant when he eats tiny food) is the Country-style Eggs Benedict, I love that recipe too because instead of a Hollandaise sauce it uses a cheesy/garlic sauce that's a lot easier to make and that tastes fantastic.

There are also cocktail recipes for the adults. Little tiny mixed drinks served in shot glasses with gourmet twists and details to make them special and not just a miniature version of a grown up drink. Like the Bloody Marys use a Korean rice wine instead of vodka, and the glass is rimmed with bacon bits. It's a flavorful, spicy, gorgeously garnished mini drink. Adults with a sweet tooth will enjoy the Orange Creamsicles drinks with the honey and sugar garnish.

The authors worked small in very clever ways, and this is one of my favorite cookbooks this year. There are menu suggestions for various party themes, and lots of dessert recipes to go with all the main course and side dish recipes. The end of the book includes equivalencies for people using metric, and a good index to find things quickly.
[I received a complimentary copy of the book to review on my craft blog- Don't Eat the Paste. I received no other compensation, and my review is my honest opinion of the product.]

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Book To Break Your Promise Not To Buy Any More Recipe Books, January 1, 2013
I keep swearing I will NOT buy any more cook/recipe books - I hate clutter. I gave away most of my books and most of my recipe books because they are just all kind of the same. It seems most of the recipes I find and use lately are from online recipe websites. HOWEVER, I have broken my promise on a few books and this was one recent promise breakers and I'm SO GLAD I DID. I've made the candied bacon churros for a party and they were a RAVE - that is a recipe you are NOT going to find on an online recipe site (easily, anyway.). Almost every recipe has a fabulous drool worthy picture. They give great tips (an America style lager like PBR keeps onion ring batter light and mild in flavor)on most recipes. There are little party planner menu ideas to keep it simple - the only problem is I want to make EVERYTHING. From Chicken n waffles to comfort food like meatloaf and deep dish pizza to quirky food like sweet corn ice cream tacos. Oh, and there are even mini cocktail recipes in the back.
This is a MUST have on the recipe book shelf because it's so different from everything I own (and even pared down, I own 3 shelve-fulls).
Love it. LOVE IT!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and creative recipes!!, October 21, 2012
I love this book! The recipes are so creative and I love the idea of itty-bitty and mini everything! So original. Can't wait to try the pop tarts, and mac and cheese bites, and philly cheese steak sammies, and mini bloody marys...I could go on and on. The pictures are beautiful, everyone who sees the book comments on how delicious it all looks. I also love the theme-party menu suggestions dispersed throughout the book.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with my purchase and will definitely be buying anything else by Jenny Park and Teri Lyn Fisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book really "fit" the bill!, September 11, 2013
This was a gift for our daughter. I selected this particular book because she loves "tiny" things. She found the recipes cute and practical-didn't have to spend a lot on exotic or hard-to-find ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable mini foods!, March 29, 2013
When my oldest reached the ripe old age of three, she told me to stop saying she was cute. "Cute means little," she said, "And I'm big!" Point taken. I agree that little things are cute, and Tiny Food Party has tons of cuteness, from tiny kimchi deviled eggs (made with quail's eggs) to mini pop tarts, or little lamb sliders to one-bite white chocolate cheesecakes.
And the recipes in Tiny Food Party are fantastic, spanning the globe to bring you tapas style treats from too many countries to count. The chapters each focus on a different type of Tiny (blank) Party, including snack, dinner, dessert, and cocktail. There are additional recipes for various sauces you'll need, like a sesame soy dipping sauce for savory Korean "Li'l Pajeon" pancakes, or a cucumber-mint raita, which would be perfect for the Indian "Small Potato Samosas." Sample menus, like a Tiny Comfort Food Party, or a Tiny Food Fiesta, complete the book.
It is remarkably well-designed, as well, with beautiful layout, many luscious photos, fun font choices, and the cutest little design elements I've ever seen (like teeny pennant garlands). Suffice to say, I thought that Tiny Food Party has a "squee" factor of 11!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional book, October 12, 2013
We have used this to cook a few times for our friends, and everybody was totally excited with the results!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Love LOVE!, July 30, 2013
I follow the author's blog and saw they had a miniature food book and I just had to get it. I love miniature things and this book has nothing but! All the recipes would make great party appetizers or as the authors suggest, an entire party devoted to miniature food. I have a mild obsession with both cooking and things in miniature and this is now one of my favorite cookbooks.
The author is of Korean descent (I think) and so there are various Asian dishes as well as food from other countries. Overall very diverse, interesting, and fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must have, May 13, 2013
This book is great. The pictures and recipes are inspiring. Makes me want to throw a party at every meal!!

5.0 out of 5 stars love this, December 14, 2012
i absolutly love this cook book, will be using it soon for tea parties with my daughters. just exactly what i was wanting!

Tiny Food Party!: Bite-Size Recipes for Miniature Meals
Tiny Food Party!: Bite-Size Recipes for Miniature Meals by Teri Lyn Fisher (Paperback - October 9, 2012)
$18.95 $13.12