Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 20, 2012
Add this to your book collection if you are a devotee of owner- or artisan-built houses. This is a worthy follow-up to Lloyd Khan's previous surveys of eccentric and creative home-building - and as many are coming to realize, the small house movement may be a pretty good blueprint for our future.
on December 18, 2014
This has a plethora of great photos and stories from many different styles of tiny homes. It is a great book to generate ideas and conversation. With that being said, here are some things about the book that you should know before buying:

- This book is not intended to be a technical account of architectural styles - don't buy it if that's what you're looking for.
- This book does not provide detailed plans or building tips.
- As others have brought up, the photos in the book are not the highest resolution, but this did not detract from my enjoyment. Honestly, it is tough to notice if you are just flipping through.
- I have never had a problem with the quality of binding or paper.

To address some of the other reviewers who were wary of the reviews because they all mentioned the name of the author or publishing company: Lloyd Kahn is a well-known guy in the tiny house movement. I do not know him personally, but I saw him speak once (after buying this book), and I imagine that a lot of reviewers have seen him speak, resulting in a feeling of familiarity leading them to use his name in a review. I don't think it is a big deal. He has written and published a lot of books, so his name and the name of his publishing company coming up in reviews shouldn't be a surprise.

Overall, buy this book if you want to look at a lot of cool pictures of tiny homes. Do not buy this book if you want a technical account of the architectural or building practices associated with the homes. It's a great book if you're looking for the former.
on December 11, 2012
I was kind of disappointed. I read about this book from washingtonpost first and thought I'd give it a try. It is not very realistic unless you really want to build that tiny living space from the ground up.
on January 11, 2012
I have just finished"Tiny Homes Simple Shelter by Lloyd Kahn" Shelter Press.........One can never finish a book like this. I will keep going back to it many times in the future. The photography is wonderful, and the book is put together like a sort of builders fairy tale. Who would not want to try and build a small house from scratch like all the folks did in the book. The builders covered in the book are very interesting people who were not afraid to take a chance to establish their own lifestyle under all kind of circumstances. The small homes in the book are amazing structures, but to get to meet and see the builders and experience the lifestyle they selected makes it even more interesting. Anyone interested in building and design should have this book available at all times.

Every book that Shelter Press puts out is a keeper, a must for every library. Lloyd Kahn has done it again by putting out another exciting book.

Jim in Marin
on November 21, 2012
I have zero affiliation with the author/publisher/whatever of this book.
I have also never been prompted to write a review of anything before. Ever.
I've become inclined to stick up for just how good a purchase this book was though.
Seriously. It's inspiring.
I'm glad I got it, despite some of the crap reviews.
That is all.
on June 23, 2012
I may be a little biased since that off-grid cabin on page 20 is mine but I have been reading Lloyd Kahns books for many years and go back to them often for inspiration. It was his books that inspired me to build my cabin and go off-grid. This latest book is full of inspiring off-beat one-of-a-kind small homes built by the homeowners. If you are looking for conventional fit-the-mold homes this is not the book for you and those homes are a dime-a-dozen anywhere. Lloyd's photography is excellent and the variety of home styles in this book is exceptional. For anyone that enjoys seeing truly unique small homes for ideas this book will be appreciated and re-read many times. Thanks Lloyd!
on February 14, 2012
Book Review

Tiny Homes Simple Shelter
Lloyd Khan

Reading the introduction and first few pages of Lloyd Khan's "Tiny Homes, Simple Shelter," I feel the heartbeat of a revolution brewing. The subtitle on the cover of Mr. Khan's book is "Scaling Back in the 21st Century."
The American Dream is shifting before our eyes and "Tiny Homes" shows us the new path. This emergent American Dream is happening for many reasons, jobs gone and not coming back, lack of trust in a system that made us so many promises and kept so few, our retirements eroded to nothing, after decades of work, we have begun to see little value in continuing to support the current system.
Whatever the case many people are choosing less, because what they have found is that "more" does not necessarily increase the quality of their lives.
As I turn the pages of Lloyd's book, I see the manifestation of the New American Dream is in less stuff and more wisdom. Less consumption and more beauty. Less superficial flash and more true quality in living lives where we own our own time, verses selling our lives to pay for debt. The true price of "more at any cost," has turned out to be far too expensive for many of us.

In "Tiny Homes, Simple Shelter" I feel transformed by possibilities and inspired to create. The shift in human consciousness that has made the building of these homes possible is palpable on every page.

These are real people who have picked up hammers and changed the outcomes and the quality of the rest of their lives by building small homes that in most cases require no mortgage. They created beautiful dwellings with their own hands and came face to face with why it is important to be an owner builder. No cookie cutter home built by strangers will ever compare to the sensation, sensitivity, and craft of what we can build with our own hands.

These revolutionaries are choosing what they allow into their lives and are questioning if massive consumption has actually enhanced or depleted the quality of their lives.

The people on these pages come alive with freedom, pioneer spirit, and a new vision of the American frontier. You see the pride and joy in their eyes, you see their vitality as they have decisively stopped asking for change and made it for themselves.

"Tiny Homes Simple Shelter" will appeal to anyone who wants to take control back over the quality of their own lives, and live without debt. In short it will appeal to anyone who has ever wanted to be free.

This book will help downsizers, simplifiers, dreamers, activists, artists, environmentalists, and those tired of walking the consumer path to nowhere. It will appeal to those who are tired of talking about change, or waiting for the government or corporations to bring it to them. This is what anyone with a spark of desire can do to change their lives right now, gain more freedom, and become more sustainable.

This book shows us in beautiful pictures and descriptions how people are carving out a new niche in housing and taking their power back right now.

Be prepared to be inspired to build a small home, studio, in-law suite, shop, greenhouse, or any number of small buildings on wheels, because after reading Lloyd Khan's latest in a series in masterful books on owner built housing, you will be dreaming of nothing else.

Neko
[...]
on September 23, 2012
I knew what part of the content of this book was before I purchased it, so I'm not disappointed. This is a book about (guess what) tiny homes and related simple shelters. I am very interested in building a simple cabin and, although this isn't the best book on the topic, it's very good and offers some good - and some quirky - solutions. The folks down at Luling, TX that build and sell tiny homes from recycled material have some wonderfully unique ideas for use of materials in a very confined space and that's the primary reason that I purchased this particular book. It offers a variety that may spur the imagination.
on February 16, 2013
A beautifully illustrated book in a nice sized format. I throughorly enjoyed reading this book. While there was no home that I exactly wanted to step into and build or purchase, it did give me many many ideas on what I would like to have if I were actually to build my own small home. These houses depict simple and practical living mostly uncluttered with what most of us are accostomed to having. The homes offer a refreshing uncomplicated way of life in an affordable package.
on April 28, 2013
This book pretty much runs the gamut of the different types of tiny homes. Some are shanty like and some are extravagant and there are plenty in between. Something for all tastes, whether to get ideas or simply a conversation book, it really is interesting. I like the stories that are told by the owners/builders, they are very genuine and not embellished for commercialization reasons at all by the author.