21 of 22 people found the following review helpful
on September 22, 2006
I was so torn bewteen buying this one and the total gym kick n play. so...I bought the kick n play and took it right back, because it just wasn't what I was hoping for. So i ordered this and just recieved it, And I love love love it!!! The colors are so bright and fun! The arches can also plug into the "stations" around the island shaped mat, so...you can create any old combination you want with the arches unlike other gyms where the arches are stuck in place and only fold down and criss cross, not left with many options. With this one it's like a new gym with every combination! I had no luck finding dimensions, but this is roughly 42"l x 38"w at it's longest points. The horn built into the mat is not real easy to honk you have to push hard...but that's no big deal. I also bought the kick chimes to put on it and my 4 month old son loves those cause he's such a big kicker! they are a little heavy and will weigh the arch down a little depending on what combination you have it in and how many things are hanging from that arch but it works! But the total gym was the same way. For the music you have to bump the face of the mirror or tap it. It's fairly easy to set off. it plays short pieces of circusy island animalish type of music (if that makes any sense) The total gym actually plays a long ten minute mozart piece...but I find that annoying and i'm sure baby does too...he doesn't like his swing after it plays over and over either! I don't find the music too important...play your own! The boppy support type pillow is flatter than it looks on the picture the blue center is made of sponge material and the outside orange edge is a blow up thing. But it works as it looks like it would! The leaves on the picture I looked at were different, they do crinkle nicely but the backs are striped black and white and some striped lime green...nicer than the picture! Over all...I'm tellin ya...choose this one, it will grow with your baby sooooooo much better, and it takes the boringness out of the others that only stay one way. I am so happy about this one, it is sooo worth the money!
16 of 16 people found the following review helpful
on June 16, 2007
Comments about the product itself:
- Another reviewer included the dimensions. I will just say, without measuring, that it is much larger than I expected--maybe half-again larger than the play gyms his little friends have. I've decided this is a good thing.
- The mat has a plastic backing, so it can be used outside.
- As mentioned, there are little orange plugs/stations all around, into which you can plug the 3 vertical play figures, and/or the bars of the gym. This is what allows so much flexibility. One small note, however--if you step on an empty plug with bare feet (or if baby rolls onto one), it's a pretty uncomfortable experience. I wish the manufacturer included some sort of cover (baby-proofed, of course!).
- The plugs hold the toys very securely, at least so far as I've been able to tell.
- The bars are very soft, not stiff like other gyms. At first, I was disappointed by this seeming lack of stability, because some of the toys we hang from them are a little heavy and cause them to sag. On the other hand, my son seems to like this, because it's easier for him to pull the toys close to him.
- Unlike a lot of gyms with lots of activities, this gym focuses on toys, rather than lights/music. The mirror that hangs does have music, but neither my son nor I like the music. There are no light shows or anything, but that's fine with me.
Comments about our experiences so far:
Okay, I never write personal stories like this in reviews, but I have to share that we have had this play gym for 24 hours now, and my son has had three major breakthroughs!
1. Within 5 minutes of lying down on it the first time, he rolled over from back to stomach. He'd never done this before! Whether he was interested in some of the toys around the gym and therefore motivated or whether it was complete coincidence, who knows! 24 hours later, he still only rolls over on this gym. ;)
2. This morning, he played so hard, he fell asleep. He did this once in the Fisher-Price jumperoo, but fussed first. He was in the middle of trying to roll over again, and suddenly, wrapped right arouond the purple dolphin-thing toy, he was out!
[So you can imagine I am already a very happy mother.]
3. He plays on this gym for 10 to 30 minutes at a time, even without my directly interacting with him (obviously I'm close by!). Of course, it's still new, but as other reviewers have pointed out, it has almost limitless configurations, which I think will really keep his interest up.
In short, however, I would definitely recommend this gym. I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could--very close to the perfect baby toy!
10 of 10 people found the following review helpful
on June 18, 2007
To be honest, I think the activity mat is very expensive; however I think it is the best one on the market. When my daughter was younger (She is now 2), I had purchased a mat but it doesn't even compare to this one. My son is already enjoying it (He is a 7 weeks old).
Reasons why I like it:
1.The mat size is large compared to other mats on the market. I feel that it will grow with my baby more so than the typical sqaure mats.
2. Also I really like how I can reconfigure the mat in several different ways to better suit my baby's needs. The only drawback is when the loops are stretched criss cross across the widest part of the mat, it leaves little room for the baby to be underneath the cross section (since the toys hang down from it). My only wish was that the loops were a little larger.
3. It includes a lot of built-in toys and features which eliminates the need to purchase additional toys to add to it.(However after reading several of the positive customer review, I did purchase the wind chimes. My son and daughter love playing with them!) I also like the fact that some toys can be attached to the base of the mat as well as above on the loops.
4. It folds up into a compact carrying case, which makes it easy to travel with!
5. The mat is padded (for extra comfort) and contains a firm rim around the edge. These features prevent the mat from being scrunched up when the baby is active.
6. Lastly, I love the baby pillow that comes with it! It is great for positioning the baby on his back or tummy!
This is a great mat! I am so glad that I purchased it!
7 of 7 people found the following review helpful
on July 10, 2008
I purchased this mat when my daughter was 1 month old, I liked the theme and configuration a lot, it is not the typical play gym you find on the market.
- the play mat has endless configuration thank to the plugs around the edge of the mat
- the colors of the toys, leaves attract the baby's eyes
- the leaves are cranky as well the peekaboo leaf and mussel on the mat (there is always something new to find)
- the tummy time pillow is excellent, so far the most used item. At the beginning my baby had reflux, she felt good laying on it, she even fell asleep and she could view the hanging toys closer, she could just watch the monkey for long long minutes. I put her every day on the tummy. At the beginning she got fussy after a couple of minutes, but still liked it. By now (10 weeks) she is able to lift up her head to 90 deg with her back pushing up with the arms and she smiles with great satisfaction. She likes that a lot. I put the mirror at the front of pillow and she talks to herself.
- I like that it can be packed easily into it's bag and carried on the shoulder
- I hate the filling material! It gives me a great concern, because it's constantly coming out of the mat and the toys. It's some sort of small fiber. So, before I put the baby on the mat I run the cleaning roller to pick them up...Of course the baby is trying to put everything into her mouth or lick it, so I'm really worried...
- I wish the material would be something more baby friendly, like cotton or strong canvas instead of plastic. During the summer it can be really hot indoor, I would gladly put her down just in a diaper, but I'm worried she would develop some rash
Overall as a design I would gladly give 5 star, but the filling made me so disappointed that I gave only 3.
5 of 6 people found the following review helpful
My son got this for X-mas and has played on it every day for the last 5 months. He loves the toys [esp. Pinapple Man!] and I love that the mat is washable and comes with its own net bag for the laundry. It's very easy to fold up and take on vacation with you and is made well.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
on February 13, 2008
I put my baby on this mat when she was only 4 weeks old. She has developed so many motor skills and she has enjoyed every minute of it! She loves the pineapple girl and now at 9 weeks she has already grabbed it with her hand and pulls on it, as well as on the palm tree leaves, which crackle, and some are black and white so she is attracted to them. I strongly recommend the addition of the wind chimes. She kicks on them for long periods of time and squeals in delight!!! This is an amazing toy. Too expensive, but we love it.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
on August 12, 2007
This mat was wonderful for my son. It made tummy time so much more exciting for him, which encouraged more tummy time. Now he is just starting to notice all of the different textures...the crinkle of the palm tree leaves, the felt of the stuffed animals, and the smooth surface of the mat. I have enjoyed having this mat for my son, Ijust wish it wasn't quite so expensive.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
on July 22, 2008
I purchased this for my 6 month old who has a difficult time being on his tummy and lifting his head.
This is perfect. He lasts on the tummy pillow twice as long as he would on the bed or the sofa. He's even started to move his knees up to crawl while on the pillow.
The mat is a lot larger than I thought. It's perfect and it's definitely worth the money.
3 of 4 people found the following review helpful
on July 20, 2007
This play gym is great, althought my 2 and half month old some doesnt seem to think so just yet my 2 year old daughter loves it. She plays with him, I think its wonderful bonding time they have together.
on July 6, 2009
This is the best activity gym based on my research and purchase experience because it offers the greatest flexibility in terms of arch and toy configurations. Instead of fixed arches (like those that come with most other playmats), this product's arches can be moved in any combination of ways: parallel, crossed, high, low, etc. All of the standing toys can be moved around in unused arch slots in the mat, so you can set up the toys in the best position for your baby, whether she is on her tummy or back or sitting up. There are several cloth hooks on the arches from which you can attach the hanging toys. Other pluses: hanging toys can attach to strollers, carseats, etc.; hanging toys and standing toys can be used separately from the activity gym, so no need to buy extra toys; inflatable tummy time pillow works for tummy or back positions, is easy to inflate (only need to do it once and the air won't leak) and comfortable for babyl; mat easily folds up into included mesh laundry bag. All toys rattle, come in pleasing colors and great textures for grabbing, pulling and mouthing and are easily washable.
Might not be the best for you if you are very tight for space. Although the mat is quite large, you can fold it up and put it away and it's great because baby has a lot of room to move around.