Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Tips for identifying counterfeit copies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2011 12:32:54 PM PST
Hi, as a merchant I have noticed that unfortunately many, many bootleg copies are being distributed by other third party merchants here. I took the time to upload some pictures highlighting things for buyers to look for, and figured I would type some out as well.

First and foremost, Disney does NOT seal the slip cover under plastic. If you received a copy that is sealed over the slip cover, you have either received a bootleg, or repackaged used movie. Second, if there is no Disney Movie Rewards code, you have received a bootleg or repackaged movie. Additionally, the case should have a swing arm, disc 1 on the swing arm, disc 2 on the back of the case. If your case has both discs on the sides of the case and insert in the middle, it's bootleg. If your movie does not play, it's 99.9999999% bootleg. Please take a look at the pictures uploaded to get a better feel for my descriptions. And remember, if you have received a bootleg copy- it's probably NOT too late to contact Amazon for a refund.

Posted on Apr 25, 2014 1:30:55 PM PDT
Denise Karen says:
This is good advice for the new multi-disc packaging; but the older one-disc version is sealed in plastic with an imprint of "Buena Vista Home Entertainment" stamped on the outside of the packaging. I know this because I happen to have "101 Dalmatians" and "Pinocchio" that I packed away when they first came out in DVD (still with the Disney Store price sticker and the red "Free Disney DVDs" sticker on the packaging)! The were both titled "Limited Issue" across the top. I bought both these movies between October 26, 1999 and February 29, 2000 (the red free Disney offer was between these dates) and yes, 2000 was a leap year. :-)

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 6:45:11 PM PDT
VideoGuy says:
I bought this for only $10 out in the street and yes, it's a bootleg because it fits your first three criteria. However, mine DOES play, it's a pressed disc (not a DVD-R) and the picture quality is excellent. Even the cover art and slipcover look real. If it hadn't been for these warnings that are floating all over the internet, I would've never known this wasn't authentic. So, I say, who cares? For only $10, I get to own an OOP movie that looks just like the real thing. Not sure why people make a fuss over these bootleg copies. They're not bad at all.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
101 Dalmatians [VHS]
101 Dalmatians [VHS] by Rod Taylor (VHS Tape - 1992)
4.6 out of 5 stars (1,150)