Titanfall
Platform for Display: PCEdition: StandardChange
Price:$16.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 13, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
Fun game. Doesn't have a lasting appeal but it's fun as you rank up. Once you hit max rank, it's not as enjoyable because you have nothing else to unlock but I find myself logging in and having fun for an hour or so at a time.
on March 16, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
It is hard to relate the high media scores with the game itself. I can hardly believe that this game, hailed as to be significantly focused on online multiplayer experience, eventually seems to be a junk food type of game decorated with some so called "fresh ideas" and "revolutionary concepts". My review on this game will be focused much on the gaming experience rather than pure graphic or game design mindset, which, though does not meet the standard of a 9/10 game, is acceptable to some extent.

To start with, Titanfall sounds pretty cool, looks pretty cool and is reviewed to be pretty cool. Thanks to great media work, we're all led astray to the following aspects:
1.great map with jet packs
2.Titan with great balance work and design
3.Must be different from other FPS(words like fresh, hype, new concept, etc)

However, as gamers, we need stuff more than simply "cool" and concepts of "fresh" with much to be specified. That is, Titanfall has poor gaming curve and game depth. This, as far as I'm concerned, makes it ridiculous if you check their statement on the back of the box "set the new bar for online multiplayer gameplay".

Pilots

The pilots in this game are equipped with jet packs, which allows players to travel faster and in a variety of ways. With quick-rechargeable perks like cloak, adrenalin rush, the game pace is much faster than most FPS. Unfortunately, these factors, in most cases, simply results in disorder in gameplay, especially when combined with the "revolutionary" minions added to the battlefield, which will be explained later.

Titans

These giant robots are classified in classical style: tanks, half-tank and assassin. 3 Titans are more than enough...if worked properly. Unfortunately, you don't really wanna stay in titans for long due to its size, inefficiency for scoring and too fast a game pace. The perks for Titans are interesting but that's it.

Weapons

I'm mostly disappointed at this part of the game. as primary weapons go, there are only 6 for Titans and less than 10 for pilots with very limited customize options. I can hardly sense anything that will "set the bar for future" in this category. As usual, there are assault rifles, snipping rifles, machine guns, shot guns and energy weapons. Just think of it, these classes finally expend to a weapon number less than 10 with 3 or 4 predictable upgrade options(you can only equip one of them). The only thing that might account for the word of "new" is the smart pistol, which, in my opinion is a OP one.

Balance&Match Making&Group Setting

I have to say the MM for this game is horrible. Players are simply thrown into games, regardless of their levels, skills(win rate, hit rate, etc). This seems to be fine with old COD serious. BUT we're here talking about 6 on 6 games(don't mention the minions, they are too week and serves merely a way for easy score). Just think about your LOL or DOTA experience. One teammate could have huge impact. To make it worse, it happens often that you have all 40 plus on one side and all 10 minus on the other. That's even not the end. The MM DOES NOT switch players between two teams in battles. The high level winners simply stick together, waiting for naive feeding lamb.

The fast pace nature of this game makes it so easy to snowball both trough level or weapons. especially when you got someone new to the game. You may just start your killing but the game is over. In addition, I'll have to say this grunts/minion idea is totally a joke. for numbers, you gain 1 point for killing a minion, 4 for a pilot. I've experienced the battles where the enemy won, not because that they had more kills on our pilot(in fact we were in the lead for this category) but that they all equipped smart pistols and killed our minions like reapers.(that's why this weapon is poorly balanced. One click, 5 men down) It is much easier to kill 40+ minions than 10+ pilot.

In fast pace games, you always want the most effective way to play. you may go for snipping for a taste but, come on, do you wanna do your snipping on the battlefield where 6 pilots hiding in buildings and a sea of minions with cloaking, fast wall run and double jump? there's no joy coming out of killing minions. When you finally snip down somebody, the enemy may have enough time to kill tones and tones of minions.

you don't have concept of lines or defense in this game due to its 6 on 6 group set and minions are useless. All these lead to poor game strategy. you don't really need to push or flank - the entire battlefield is in chaos with pilots jumping around and minions are randomly deployed. just equip your smart pistol with fast aim upgrade and cloak perk and go. if you have a bad lag, replace your smart pistol with shot guns. the shot gun in Titanfall is accurate, 6-8 rounds per clip and one-shot-to kill at far more than close range. These two weapons are so OP since its easy to get close with fast movement and jack packs in game, plus cloak. assault rifles and snippers are pointless in most cases.

Titan fights are cool. But again, you're wasting too much time in Titian if you just try to take down the enemy titan.

Wrap up

Titanfall is a good game but not more than that. The excitement fades away after several days and it turn out to be pale. I still can't believe a multiplayer focused game can only offer this much. They have cool concepts, good ideas but not worked out properly. It try to offer more choices, but the fast pace nature forces players to simplification; It tries to bring dynamic battle experiences but the 6 on 6 set and minions simply reject that. It brings Titans but the Titans are shallowly designed and are not the most efficient choice in battles.

I didn't even mention the lack of game modes and player connection. 6 on 6 games require much better communication among players and most of my teammates don't even know how to use voice chat (press Z) since it's not taught or mentioned in the tutorial.

PS:I was actually thinking of ask for refund but one of my friends is a huge robot fan and he's pretty satisfied as long as there's a titan for him to drive.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 11, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Standard
I was caught up in the hype when the beta arrived. At the time I wasn't able to score myself a beta key; so instead I've read the rave reviews beta testers were giving it. Fast forward to March 7, That's when I purchased it for preload. Last night when it unlocked, I've played a straight 6 hour binge and found it quite entertaining for it's multiplayer aspect. As for the "campaign" mode if you call it that, it's nothing more than a distraction and honestly it feels like it was just included after the fact. To me the story really didn't flow well with the game and made it feel almost incomplete. I would of been happier if the developers removed the story all together, or maybe have cut scenes you can unlock and view after you complete certain feats. I've already completed both the Frontier Militia and IMC campaigns shortly after unlocking the game, and still have limited understanding of what the story really was about.
However, this game is not intended to be a story focused game. It's a futuristic FPS with awesome Titans and extremely fast paced combat. It's extremely addicting, and looks beautiful on a good PC. My overclocked GTX 760 2GB has no issues running the game on "insanity" graphics settings at 1080p. Even though the prompt says 3GB texture memory is required, I still experience smooth frame rates; and minimal lag. I have yet to run Fraps yet to see what the fps drop is in game, but with v-sync enabled, I haven't experienced any issues. Overall I enjoy this game, however, I just wish there was a more in depth back story I can immerse myself into.
on October 18, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
You should know by now that there wasn't a campaign. It's was report in every media outlet before the game came out, and the small one they had was online orientated. If you play Call of Duty most people most likely don't touch the campaign becuase the bread and butter is in the multiplayer. Same goes for Titanfall. the game is great and once you get this 50 GB downloaded you'll enjoy it. Like any game now game is perfect and the same goes for Titanfall. Here are my issues with the game.

1 Titanfall need to do a better job of making teams even. I could be wrong with this but it seems that Titanfall is alway one sided until someone leaves the match.

2. Connection issues can really mess up a match. This will happen at least once without a doubt.

3.Did I mention I hate the concept of the Smart pistol, but maybe it's because I'm terrible at using it.

I think this game has a lot of promise and when Titnafall 2 comes out most of these gripes will be answered. I love this game more than Call of Duty. Call of Duty never made me feel comfortable playing because you could sit any where and pop shots. While in Titanfall you are always moving which is perfect. Enjoy!
on May 25, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
It bumbed me out there was no single player. It is a cool game. They should have it where people with lower ranks get paired to play with people on their same level. Not some on level 6 up against some one on level 40.
on October 4, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
Titan Fall was not what I expected. I purchased it for my husband and perhaps did not read the fine print but I thought it would be like his other games where he can just play. This one apparently, has to be played in multi-player mode. He says it's a great game but that he would much prefer it if he could play single player. Considering the fact that it was a gift for him, I feel that I could have done a better job of shopping for him.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 20, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
I bought this game at half price.it was a good deal the game itself is pretty cool it was something that I needed, was way better than a Call of Duty series.. something new..
on March 27, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
first off, Ill Start by saying to be wary of reviewers that rate this title poorly. As always, there are people that specifically come to amazon to hate On certain products (games specifically).

I personally enjoy titanfall very much. Ive always been a fan of sci-fi games. this is a futuristic game. The gameplay is the smoothest fps I have played in a good while, in comparison to cod or Bf4, I really would rather play titanfall. the fact that you Can wall run and doublejump using your jetpack is really awesum and adds a fresh element, along with the titans you can use is really fun. All in all, I really have a lot of fun playing this game.

My only Complaints: there is not much customization in weapon loadouts or Character editing,

there is a small limited list of weapons (one shotgun, two sniper rifles three pistols).

There is a very mediolore campaign (at best) that is only played online with other people. lt is just hard to understand and feels 1:he it did not get a decent development.

I do see these small Complaints to be fixed with future dlc.

in conclusion, this is a fresh fps fps feeling with the elements within the ganeplay.
on March 14, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Standard
This game is awesome, I think its much better than the new CoD. The controls are pretty simple and the maps are great. Leveling and class sets are sweeter. Awesomeness all around!!
on February 12, 2015
Platform for Display: PCEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
At first this game was pretty good, but as time went on there was no discipline of hackers, and it became a quagmire. It has no single player campaigns, so you are left with either cheating until they do something, or getting slammed a lot. Not much fun, probably will delete. Sad because it was a good premise.