5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Hardcore Shooter
Great game for anyone who probably misses the gundam series and includes a great multiplayer story mode. Running on walls is a great attribute for the game too .
Published 2 months ago by EDK

2.0 out of 5 stars Very good game, but not enough
I'm going to take a little different approach on this review. I see a lot of reviews getting slammed because they were expecting a single-player or cooperative campaign, and didn't read the fine print. I, on the other hand, knew that going in and I'm saying that what they released isn't nearly enough to warrant a five star review.

The game is fantastic, don't...
Published 4 months ago by 007

2.0 out of 5 stars Very good game, but not enough, March 11, 2014
007 "cmyth007" (Albany, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Titanfall - Xbox One (Video Game)

The game is fantastic, don't get me wrong. Resolution and graphics are solid, gameplay is smooth, frantic and fast paced. In short, it is a wonderful multiplayer experience--but so are plenty of other games. There is a lot you'll be familiar with here if you are a fan of multiplayer games. You have a character--you play and get kills--you get to level up and thus, get new stuff. Nothing new there. Now in this case, you have your mech, and depending on how you use him, he is either a vehicle (If you are inside) or an AI controlled squaddie (If he's following you around.) Is that new? Maybe, I mean who doesn't like having a 20 foot tall mech at his back. But revolutionary, absolutely not. There were articles out there saying this was the "first true next gen title." I don't see it. It's good. It's solid, and it's a great multiplayer experience, but the lack of a cooperative or single player experience makes me feel like they released half a game. It would certainly be worth $40, but $60 is a little steep.

They tried to weave a story into the multiplayer experience, but there's nothing there that is going to leave you feeling overly satisfied, or at least it hasn't with me.

This is a great multiplayer game. But a great multiplayer game, by itself, is not worth $60. I knew that going in and I bought it anyway. I make a good living and don't care about spending an extra $60 to play with my friends, but a lot of people don't have that luxury. And if you're like me, you expect more out of "Next Gen" games--not less. And this game just shows the disappointing trend of continuing to cater to the multiplayer crowd and neglect everyone else. Sad, but true.

EDIT*** I'm surprised at how few people are willing to throw their money into a game that is so lacking. I wanted to add a little to my review to give it more context. Titanfall is a shooter. Here is how you build a five star shooter, folks. I'll use one of my favorites as an example. Gears of War 3. A fantastic campaign, competitive multiplayer with far more options than Titanfall offers. Still not enough? No problem, then you can play cooperative multiplayer with your friends against bots, for those times when you aren't in the mood for playing with a bunch of bratty twelve year olds. Still not enough? No problem! Hop over and play the fantastic Horde Mode for even more fun. THAT is a fully fledged shooter worth $60. In fact, after having the discussions, I think I will probably end up knocking Titanfall down to two stars. When you have a company try to sell a game like this for the same price as a shooter that offers much, much more, Titanfall really shows its lack of polish. As a gamer and consumer, it should be insulting. As consumers we vote with our dollars. And every copy of this game that sells is a vote that says--We as consumers accept games that lack features. I say think hard before you do that.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's fun while it last, which isn't very long, March 19, 2014
This review is from: Titanfall - Xbox One (Video Game)
Every minute I spent playing Titanfall, even when I was enjoying it, all that kept running through my mind is what a missed opportunity it was. The gameplay is fun, there's no denying it. It's fast, addictive does feel fresh enough to make it stand out even though it does veer very close to Call of Duty at times. Yet, the universal complaint and it is totally justified is that there's no way in hell this game should've been $60. For how much hype and money was spent on this game, the fact that there's no true campaign, no co-op and extremely barebones multiplayer features makes justifying a $60 price tag unacceptable.

I do think if Respawn would have gone all out, given this game a full fledge campaign, maybe even had it support co-op play, and beefed up the online it could have been an absolute killer game. But nope, all you get is multiplayer, don't be fooled by the so called "campaign" mode, it's nothing but multiplayer matches with pathetic little dialogue scenes before each match. As if that's not bad enough, the offerings are as slim as can be. There's hardly any weapons, attachments and zero customization options for your weapons such as paint jobs and alike. There's only several game modes, all of which are your completely standard modes, nothing unique or different and that's it, that's your game. That's not to mention the horrible lag I had in over half of my games (and no it's not my connection because all my other online games run with no problem), and the teams are never randomized so every match just turns into one team dominating the other again and again and again.

So what about the Titan? Well in a nutshell, they're okay. The first few times you get one it's really exciting and it's nice that everyone gets one regardless of whether or not they score any kills. Yet after an hour of playing I got bored of using the Titans and they eventually just feel dull and I often wouldn't even notice I had one ready to call in because the grunt fighting was more exciting. You also aren't able to personalize your Titan in anyway such as with paint or decals which is just bogus since I thought the Titan's are the star of the game, so why not feel more attached to your Titan than just some stock machine dropping in every minute.

Titanfall will make a great pick-up at $30 when it drops in price. I'm sure it will develop its loyal following that will stick with it but most people will probably be like me and enjoy it for a month or so before returning to whatever their multiplayer game of choice was prior to Titanfall. It's a great rental but charging $60 for such a small amount of content? No thanks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh, June 25, 2014
This review is from: Titanfall - Xbox One (Video Game)
Loses it's replay value quickly. No story, very little growth. Without a single player campaign with designed encounters, there's no need to use half the cool things they built for this game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, March 20, 2014
This review is from: Titanfall - Xbox One (Video Game)
First, I have to mention I never read any review of the game or care to do any research about it before I bought it. My bad, I usually do but not this time.

The game is not what I was expecting because I was assuming it will have a regular campaign and a multiplayer mode just like most games do. I feel that having a multiplayer campaign leaves many gaps on whatever story they are trying to tell. Personally, I would like to know why are we fighting, why do we have titans, get immersed on the story and identify with the characters. I have only played the tutorial + a few chapters of the campaign and I don't feel a connection with the game and don't feel motivated to play it. I do like multiplayers, a lot, but I play the campaign story first and then get on to the multiplayer features. I feel like selling it to someone that will give it more use than I will do since I am pretty sure I will get bored in a week or 2.

I cannot give it 5 stars because I feel it is an incomplete game for the price. I cannot give it 1 star because if what you are looking for is a multiplayer experience that is exactly what you will get and some people will enjoy that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only Half A Game At Full Price, March 19, 2014
This review is from: Titanfall - Xbox One (Video Game)
I was certainly disappointed in this game after being psyched up for it from all the cherry picked reviews shown in commercials. Having enjoyed and still continue to enjoy Call of Duty Black Ops II and Black Ops, I was looking for the next step for the Call of Duty type of online multiplayer.
What really reeks in this game is the fact that the bots (non-human controlled players) are easy to take out. It is like having them handed to you on a platter. It's like going fishing but the fish have all been caught for you and placed in a small pool for you to fish in). Then there are the other players that play oblivious of their full capabilities.
Don't get me wrong, it can sometimes be fun for short spurts as you execute moves and work with your team. It can be downright sad, too, to watch and hear as you take down the big behemoths. The roaring sound may give some satisfaction but for me it was sad to watch as these big mechanical monsters go down. After all, you, too get to commandeer a machine to do your bidding. You can set it to protect an area as you do your own thing or you can be in control of it. That aspect of the game was fun.
This game is not meant to be played in a long time span. This is, after all, an online multiplayer through and through. It just sorely lacks a single player campaign to flesh out the story and give you a good background and feel for the story. It is kind of disturbing to me that given the time that the producers had that they could not come up with a single player campaign. I had read that the staffing for this production was smaller than a typical blockbuster production. And it shows. It is disturbing to think that this could be a trend for producing half games for full price. This is definitely NOT a killer app that some professional reviewers have anointed it to be. And it just confirms to me what others who have both systems, the Xbox One and PS4, have told me. The Xbox One is not all that it is cracked up to be. I think that I will be sticking with PS4 games in the future. I feel ripped off by this half game being packaged as a full game.
Pros:
1. Nice graphics
2. Great controls
3. AI for Titans are good
4. Parkour
5. Constant action
Cons:
1. Only half a game
2. AI for bots are bad
3. No single player campaign to flesh out a story
4. Full price for a game that should be added to a full campaign
5. Getting on a game can be a chore when linking up with Xbox Live
6. Gets old after doing the same thing over and over again
All in all, I would give this game a C minus. Had they included a 15-hour long single player, this game might have been the game to take the Call of Duty idea to the next level. It does feel next-gen. It just does not feel like a must-have game.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great potential, but doesn't follow through., March 23, 2014
This review is from: Titanfall - Xbox One (Video Game)
I really wanted to like this game. I played enough to get to level 20 before passing judgement.
What's good:
The gameplay as a pilot is really nice, and as you advance, you gain ordinance and weapons to make it more enjoyable. I would say that it slightly edges out other FPS because of the parkour movements you can perform. The wall running and double/mid-air jumps you can perform are pretty cool. If it weren't for that, it would fall behind other FPS because of the lack of customization and available weapons. Playing as a titan is so-so. You're big, you have armor, shields, and big guns, but by itself is nothing new. What makes the gameplay original is the ability to switch between pilot and titan or set the titan to automatically assist you in battle. This is really a unique and fun experience that I haven't seen in any other game. It not only allows you to choose how you will do battle, but who you will do battle with - you can choose to target other pilots or go after titans (whether your a pilot or titan).
What I didn't like:
1. No single-player campaign. I know that creating campaigns takes a lot of time and money - but that's what other games do and charge the same price. You are only getting a portion of what other games offer - the smaller and cheaper portion - for the same price. They developed a good FPS platform, but just didn't bother putting it in a game - just little matches that are usually the side content of a game. Only having online multiplayer also forces you to always pay for the online subscription in addition to the cost of the game.
2. The multiplayer modes they have really don't offer much variety. They all end up playing very similar - kill everyone on the opposing side.
3. No matching of players. When you first start you will be playing AS a level 1, but your opponents are not matched to you so they can be level 20, 30, 40, etc. This makes a big difference because they will have access to better weapons, scopes, abilities through game cards, etc. You can also get very lopsided teams - a lot of high level players on one team and low levels on the other.
4. How the matches are playing out. The matches now all seem the same - run around and kill as many enemies as you can. About 85% of kills comes from player A shooting player B in the back, while player B is trying to shoot player C in the back, while player C ... you get the idea. 5% come from campers/sniper kills. 5% from face-to-face combat. 5% from titans killing pilots or titans. More and more the matches seem to be devolving into everyone jumping into a titan for as much of the game as possible - its getting to be a new form of camping. Also, the free-for-all nature really takes away from the great parkour movements. You never really get to use these other than to scurry into or out of a combat area.

At this point, I choose this game only when I don't have a lot of time to play. I can get in and play 3-4 matches and get out in under an hour. 3-4 matches is about all I can take anyway as I get annoyed by the lack of variety, zero progression without a campaign, and how the matches always play out.

If you like online multiplayer FPS and quick free-for-all matches of "kill as many as you can", then this is the overpriced game for you. If you want many hours of gameplay to hold your interest, then I don't recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars multiplayer only---every game needs single player mode, June 29, 2014
This review is from: Titanfall - Xbox One (Video Game)
making a game that's multiplayer only--can only hurt the game more than help it--theres been games made the same way that didn't survive long as some gamers like playing games on multiplayer but there is times would like to play it alone soi wont even waste my time renting it let alone buying it

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Hardcore Shooter, May 24, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced, futuristic first person shooter, May 24, 2014
This review is from: Titanfall - Xbox One (Video Game)
Titanfall exceeded my expectations. Admittedly, I am a casual gamer, but Titanfall is fast-paced and has relatively short rounds (about 20 minutes each). This is great because I can get a lot of play for the amount of time I have to dedicate to gaming (not too much).

5.0 out of 5 stars Titanfall rules!, May 24, 2014
This review is from: Titanfall - Xbox One (Video Game)
This is one of my all-time favorite games. It was well thought out by the designers and it will keep you engaged. Being an online only game, on occasion it can take some time to find enough players and load. Other than that, if you like video games, this should be in your collection!

Titanfall - Xbox One
Titanfall - Xbox One by Electronic Arts (Xbox One)
$59.99 $39.49