Titanfall - Xbox One
Platform: Xbox OneEdition: StandardChange
Price:$17.87+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 28, 2014
Titanfall is a game that means a lot to me. It was the first game I bought for the Xbox One that I played to death. It was the first game I had, in recent memory, maxed out in rank (I became a generation 10, level 50 a couple months ago). This was before the Rank Chip was introduced in the latest update, as I'm still working to reach Tier 5 Diamond (I am a completionist, after all). It was the first game I could call Xbox One's first killer app that also happened to be a new IP.

I've played this game since the day it came out, so I've seen every update and enhancement from day one to the present. From the over powered satchel charges (they were like mini nukes) to the Titan Punch's ability to send opposing titans flying twice as far backwards, to Nuclear Ejection explosions being twice as big to becoming somewhat more balanced, this game has mostly changed for the better. Titanfall requires you to be adept not just with shooting the standard weapons, but with movement, positioning, and Titan combat. Being able to outmaneuver your opponent as a pilot or Titan is just as important as being accurate with your shots. You also have to consider when to use Burn Cards, cards that grant the user temporary abilities, like being able to see every threat on the battlefield through Map Hack, being able to call in a Reserve titan at the beginning of the match, and having a high damage version of the standard carbine or Archer homing missile launcher. Just one of these cards can level the playing field, or turn the tide entirely.

Then, there are pilot and titan abilities. I personally lean towards quick reload and warpfall transmitter as a pilot, as it saves time for increasing your rate of fire for weapons, and for the latter, gets your titan into battle quicker, as well as gives you a better chance to crush an opponent by dropping your titan on them (you even get a satisfying *squish* when you make contact with a poor little pilot). The weapons themselves may be standard fare, assault rifles, shotguns, sniper rifles, and rocket launchers, but there's enough variety in them to make them fun to use. Like using the Plasma Railgun to pop pilots into bloody chunk balloons.

An impressive feature of this game on paper is using Microsoft's cloud servers to render AI in matches. In practice, however, these guys, from the grunts, to specters, and enemy titans, are merely cannon fodder used to fund attrition points and decrease the clock for your next titan drop. However, it makes you wonder how future games will utilize this feature. At the moment, the player count for the game's population is pitiful, as most online console gamers are preoccupied with Destiny and past Call of Duty games, but there are enough people currently playing in order to get you into a match relatively quickly. Just be sure to select your correct zone at the start of the screen by pressing X and selecting the zone with the lowest ping. I look forward to what Respawn will do in the inevitable sequel, and hope players keep this game alive in the meantime.
on March 11, 2014
I'm going to take a little different approach on this review. I see a lot of reviews getting slammed because they were expecting a single-player or cooperative campaign, and didn't read the fine print. I, on the other hand, knew that going in and I'm saying that what they released isn't nearly enough to warrant a five star review.

The game is fantastic, don't get me wrong. Resolution and graphics are solid, gameplay is smooth, frantic and fast paced. In short, it is a wonderful multiplayer experience--but so are plenty of other games. There is a lot you'll be familiar with here if you are a fan of multiplayer games. You have a character--you play and get kills--you get to level up and thus, get new stuff. Nothing new there. Now in this case, you have your mech, and depending on how you use him, he is either a vehicle (If you are inside) or an AI controlled squaddie (If he's following you around.) Is that new? Maybe, I mean who doesn't like having a 20 foot tall mech at his back. But revolutionary, absolutely not. There were articles out there saying this was the "first true next gen title." I don't see it. It's good. It's solid, and it's a great multiplayer experience, but the lack of a cooperative or single player experience makes me feel like they released half a game. It would certainly be worth $40, but $60 is a little steep.

They tried to weave a story into the multiplayer experience, but there's nothing there that is going to leave you feeling overly satisfied, or at least it hasn't with me.

This is a great multiplayer game. But a great multiplayer game, by itself, is not worth $60. I knew that going in and I bought it anyway. I make a good living and don't care about spending an extra $60 to play with my friends, but a lot of people don't have that luxury. And if you're like me, you expect more out of "Next Gen" games--not less. And this game just shows the disappointing trend of continuing to cater to the multiplayer crowd and neglect everyone else. Sad, but true.

EDIT*** I'm surprised at how few people are willing to throw their money into a game that is so lacking. I wanted to add a little to my review to give it more context. Titanfall is a shooter. Here is how you build a five star shooter, folks. I'll use one of my favorites as an example. Gears of War 3. A fantastic campaign, competitive multiplayer with far more options than Titanfall offers. Still not enough? No problem, then you can play cooperative multiplayer with your friends against bots, for those times when you aren't in the mood for playing with a bunch of bratty twelve year olds. Still not enough? No problem! Hop over and play the fantastic Horde Mode for even more fun. THAT is a fully fledged shooter worth $60. In fact, after having the discussions, I think I will probably end up knocking Titanfall down to two stars. When you have a company try to sell a game like this for the same price as a shooter that offers much, much more, Titanfall really shows its lack of polish. As a gamer and consumer, it should be insulting. As consumers we vote with our dollars. And every copy of this game that sells is a vote that says--We as consumers accept games that lack features. I say think hard before you do that.
9898 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 28, 2014
Hands down the most fun I've had playing a shooter. My friends and I played this game so much since getting it and I've put in more ours after we've finished playing. If you are a fan of giant robot fighting, free running, fast paced gaming, and cool weapons then this is the game for you.

This isn't like your typical Battlefield or Call of Duty so don't let people tell you it is. The game is more fast paced then those games and you will clearly notice that once you being playing. The fact that you can traverse the terrain in different ways makes the game more interesting and then with the added abilities you acquire changes the way you take on your enemies.

I would encourage those playing the game to do it with friends because it will extend the longevity of the game and you will have more fun because you get to talk about the crazy things you do or say in the game.
on March 19, 2014
Every minute I spent playing Titanfall, even when I was enjoying it, all that kept running through my mind is what a missed opportunity it was. The gameplay is fun, there's no denying it. It's fast, addictive does feel fresh enough to make it stand out even though it does veer very close to Call of Duty at times. Yet, the universal complaint and it is totally justified is that there's no way in hell this game should've been $60. For how much hype and money was spent on this game, the fact that there's no true campaign, no co-op and extremely barebones multiplayer features makes justifying a $60 price tag unacceptable.

I do think if Respawn would have gone all out, given this game a full fledge campaign, maybe even had it support co-op play, and beefed up the online it could have been an absolute killer game. But nope, all you get is multiplayer, don't be fooled by the so called "campaign" mode, it's nothing but multiplayer matches with pathetic little dialogue scenes before each match. As if that's not bad enough, the offerings are as slim as can be. There's hardly any weapons, attachments and zero customization options for your weapons such as paint jobs and alike. There's only several game modes, all of which are your completely standard modes, nothing unique or different and that's it, that's your game. That's not to mention the horrible lag I had in over half of my games (and no it's not my connection because all my other online games run with no problem), and the teams are never randomized so every match just turns into one team dominating the other again and again and again.

So what about the Titan? Well in a nutshell, they're okay. The first few times you get one it's really exciting and it's nice that everyone gets one regardless of whether or not they score any kills. Yet after an hour of playing I got bored of using the Titans and they eventually just feel dull and I often wouldn't even notice I had one ready to call in because the grunt fighting was more exciting. You also aren't able to personalize your Titan in anyway such as with paint or decals which is just bogus since I thought the Titan's are the star of the game, so why not feel more attached to your Titan than just some stock machine dropping in every minute.

Titanfall will make a great pick-up at $30 when it drops in price. I'm sure it will develop its loyal following that will stick with it but most people will probably be like me and enjoy it for a month or so before returning to whatever their multiplayer game of choice was prior to Titanfall. It's a great rental but charging $60 for such a small amount of content? No thanks.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 19, 2014
I have owned this game since it was first released. I purchased a second copy so me and my daughter can play online this Christmas after she gets her new Xbox one.

The gameplay is great in this game. The attention to quality in the gameplay is evident. Graphics also look great. Really, the only reason i remove a star is for the lack of customization, and the lack of a good story. Sure, customization isn't important to everyone, not even me really. I just feel that a next gen game such as this should have more of it, and not less than competitors like Call of Duty. Why should I be able to have more customization in a last gen CoD game than in this exclusive, high profile, next gen release? Again, it isn't that important to me, so I really only took away a half star. The other half star is for the lack of story. I actually think this would warrant a full star removed, but since I can't do 3.5 stars, I'll round up, not down. This game would have made for a fantastic campaign, and begs to have more of the story told, but the "campaign" is nothing more than multiplayer games with a little more story telling in between. Not what I consider a fulfilling story.

In the end, the great gameplay and graphics trumped the lack of story and customization. This allowed me to still consider the game more of a four star game than a three star one. As mentioned before, 3.5 would have been about right for me.
on May 30, 2014
The game lacks a single player campaign, and like many Xbox One games, it also lacks split-screen muliplayer which is kind of a letdown. However the pace and sheer awesomeness of the game is unparallelled.
on December 4, 2014
This game has a healthy population as of 12/05/14. Around 2-5K players online in any given time. I came into this game with no hype whatsoever, and I have to say it's enjoyable. I did not purchase this on Amazon, but would like to share my review. I got this game for $13.00 on xbox live marketplace included with all the dlc, and it was a STEAL. Finding matches takes seconds at most, the smoothness, the dedicated servers, the wall running, and the mechs are awesome features that make me come back to this game. Honestly, I have CoD: AW, and I find myself to enjoy this much more. Spend $20 on this game, you won't regret it. I'd like to add more, but I'm tired and heading off. If you have any questions, comment.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 24, 2014
Love it. Very new gamer. Would recommend if you like shooter and action adventure games. Must have if you like fun.
on July 3, 2014
I have been reading these reviews and am shocked at the reaction to this game. It seems to be a very polarizing or just a misunderstood project. To be clear, Titanfall IS the next great thing! It is revolutionary. It is the epitome of multiplayer. It is little new but full of things you already love and things you didn't know you love.
I don't want to rebut another's review, however, I feel compelled to reign in the rancor. The most popular review by 007, aka "cmyth007," is a poor representation of this product. In the review, it is said the customer knew this was a multiplayer-only game, but the customer praised the multiplayer aspects of Titanfall and faulted it for having no co-op or single player campaign. If you knew no co-op or singleplayer existed, why buy it to begin with if that's what you were looking for? It is also claimed that no multiplayer-only game is worth $60 or a 5-star review. It begs the question, why buy a game you knew was a multiplayer-only game if it wouldn't be worth the $60 you paid? An edit was added that then contrasted Titanfall to Gears of War 3. Gears of War 3 is the best third-person-shooter on Xbox 360. It was a huge game that vastly improved on its predecessors. But, is that a fair comparison? Wouldn't a more apt comparison be the original Gears of War? It was the first killer app for the Xbox 360 and had meager multiplayer offerings. The multiplayer on OG Gears was thrown-together and didn't acknowledge the Xbox Live platform: no party system, no matchmaking, and broken mechanics, i.e. invulnerable as you chainsawed enemies. Gears 2 and 3 fixed these problems and expanded the game. It would be safer to wait and compare Titanfall 3 to Gears 3.
To reiterate, Titanfall is an online-only multiplayer game. The campaign is multiplayer matches mixed with back-story. It has a few modes that are different twists on game types you are already familiar with if you've played any shooters recently. Attrition game mode is like team deathmatch, but NPC kills, Titan kills, and Pilot kills add to your teams total, each being worth a different number of points. Last Titan standing is a round-based mode where everyone begins the round in a Titan and must destroy the other team's Titans to win the round, whether you kill the pilots or not. Pilot Hunter is like Attrition, but only pilot kills add to your team's total points. Capture the flag is just that; get flag, return it to "base." Hardpoint is very similar to Domination in CoD or Territories in Halo. Three capture points are fought over in order to reach the time goal first. They recently added temporary game types starting with Marked for Death. This is my new favorite mode. One player on each team is Marked as the target; the goal? Kill the other team's marked man before your team's gets whacked. If you do, you get a point and new targets are selected. Get 10 points first, to win.
Titanfall includes things you have seen elsewhere, but few games have so many in the same game. As you play and rank up you unlock challenges to complete that net you more XP and Burn Cards (We'll get to those). As you focus on unlocking the challenges, you will rank up faster and unlock more gear for your Titan and pilot. You have seen similar set-ups in games like Call of Duty. But, Titanfall does something different from Call of Duty. When you prestige, or regenerate as it is called in Titanfall, you will be given a specific list of challenges to complete before you can regenerate again. It's a nice change. Not only do you need to put in time to rank up, you'll need to be SKILLED and unlock some very difficult challenges. The other change from the norm are the Burn Cards. These are brilliant little perks for unlocking challenges that give you one-time-use advantages in game. They can give you extended abilities, stronger weapons, free Titans, extra xp and faster titan build times. They “burn” up after one life or game with them. Only 3 can be taken in to each game, but since this last update, you can hold around a hundred at once if you are Generation 10. For folks who have said that Titanfall got old too fast, “you're doing it wrong!”
In Titanfall, there is so much happening at once on screen you will have a difficult time taking it all in at first. I think a lot of these negative reviews stem from that and misunderstanding the lack of singleplayer. You have drop ships flying over head dropping off more grunts, drop pods falling to the ground with more spectres, titans roaming and dropping in constantly, and pilots ziplining, wallrunning, double-jumping, shooting, etc. No call of duty or Gears has this kind of scope. Even with AC-130 gunships flying overhead, Titanfall has more action than any of those. I went back to play CoD Ghosts and felt like my character was stuck in mud the whole game. I used to think CoD was twitchy, nope, not anymore.
Respawn Entertainment just updated the Xbox One and PC versions of Titanfall. Now, they've added new customizations of titans and new burn cards and challenges. They updated the lobbies and menu screens. The game looks even better now! And, I have more to unlock. I have been taking my time with regenerating and love just playing to play. I am currently on Generation 9, working on my challenges for 10. I have loved my Xbox One and this game. “Xbox Record That!” is my new catchphrase.
Note: I have both the Xbox One version (downloaded from MS) and the 360 version (from Amazon). The Xbox one is the way to go.
on March 23, 2014
I really wanted to like this game. I played enough to get to level 20 before passing judgement.
What's good:
The gameplay as a pilot is really nice, and as you advance, you gain ordinance and weapons to make it more enjoyable. I would say that it slightly edges out other FPS because of the parkour movements you can perform. The wall running and double/mid-air jumps you can perform are pretty cool. If it weren't for that, it would fall behind other FPS because of the lack of customization and available weapons. Playing as a titan is so-so. You're big, you have armor, shields, and big guns, but by itself is nothing new. What makes the gameplay original is the ability to switch between pilot and titan or set the titan to automatically assist you in battle. This is really a unique and fun experience that I haven't seen in any other game. It not only allows you to choose how you will do battle, but who you will do battle with - you can choose to target other pilots or go after titans (whether your a pilot or titan).
What I didn't like:
1. No single-player campaign. I know that creating campaigns takes a lot of time and money - but that's what other games do and charge the same price. You are only getting a portion of what other games offer - the smaller and cheaper portion - for the same price. They developed a good FPS platform, but just didn't bother putting it in a game - just little matches that are usually the side content of a game. Only having online multiplayer also forces you to always pay for the online subscription in addition to the cost of the game.
2. The multiplayer modes they have really don't offer much variety. They all end up playing very similar - kill everyone on the opposing side.
3. No matching of players. When you first start you will be playing AS a level 1, but your opponents are not matched to you so they can be level 20, 30, 40, etc. This makes a big difference because they will have access to better weapons, scopes, abilities through game cards, etc. You can also get very lopsided teams - a lot of high level players on one team and low levels on the other.
4. How the matches are playing out. The matches now all seem the same - run around and kill as many enemies as you can. About 85% of kills comes from player A shooting player B in the back, while player B is trying to shoot player C in the back, while player C ... you get the idea. 5% come from campers/sniper kills. 5% from face-to-face combat. 5% from titans killing pilots or titans. More and more the matches seem to be devolving into everyone jumping into a titan for as much of the game as possible - its getting to be a new form of camping. Also, the free-for-all nature really takes away from the great parkour movements. You never really get to use these other than to scurry into or out of a combat area.

At this point, I choose this game only when I don't have a lot of time to play. I can get in and play 3-4 matches and get out in under an hour. 3-4 matches is about all I can take anyway as I get annoyed by the lack of variety, zero progression without a campaign, and how the matches always play out.

If you like online multiplayer FPS and quick free-for-all matches of "kill as many as you can", then this is the overpriced game for you. If you want many hours of gameplay to hold your interest, then I don't recommend it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...