Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

on January 19, 2012
I wasn't sure what I was ordering, but I'm glad I did because I like surprise material I haven't seen before. It should have been labeled "The Definitive UK Documentary Collection + Bonus." They were filmed in the early 80's and 90's, and contain little tidbits of information that I find fascinating on an historical and personal level. Its very nostalgic.

The first DVD is about 4 hours. The first two programmes are somewhat repetitive, and a little sleepy, with interviews of survivor Eva Hart, but each have different information that is worth the watch. The third is a brief history of Captain Smith. The last programme "End of an Era" includes a short history of liners up to the tragedy. I found this to be the most interesting of the four. Also included is a show and tell of artifacts from a shop in England that deals primarily with ship collectables.

The second DVD is about 40 minutes of interviews of the survivors at a Titanic convention during the 71st anniversary giving their heart felt detailed accounts of the tragedy. This is followed by a short 1912 nickelodeon film with footage of what is supposed to be Titanic, but on the previous DVD is revealed to be that of Olympic.

Although the transfer seems a tiny bit fuzzy to me, I'm sure its decent, but I'm used to high def. I like the intro menu and the music it plays with the illustrations and retouched photo background. Its nice to hear when getting up between programme breaks. This won't please everyone, but for the price it will please many liner buffs. One's disappointments are only as great as one's expectations.
on January 21, 2012
Very informative documentary on the Titanic. Nice length at 4 hrs and 28 minutes! Most other Titanic documentaries clock in at 90 minutes max. I wish the producers would have spent a few extra bucks and close captioned the DVDs. Sometimes it's hard to understand what's being said. Other than this glaring omission, I'd definitely recommend this to a Titanic collector.
on January 16, 2012
My brother and i are both fans of anything titanic. This documentary set ofers new insight by actual survivors and decendants not just the same babbling by the "experts". I think anyone who enjoys the story and legends of the titanic should own this set. HIGHLY RECOMEND
on May 15, 2012
This is definitely not a set for those looking for the screaming and pathos. There are movies, graphics, newsreels, and newspaper front pages we personally have never seen. That is saying something, with all the stuff we have in this house on "Titanic"!

Leave it to the Brits to give us something no one in this country thought to pull together: information on memorials erected, the fact that Captain Lord, of the "Californian," was EXACTLY where he thought he was in relation to the ship (and could not have made it to the "Titanic" before the "Carpathia" even if he'd had a perfectly clear path), and even a sheet that shows the Morse dashes and dots for both CQD and SOS ... and explains the word each letter represents.

It was a pleasure to see Edith Haisman in relatively good health and able to speak clearly on her own (the only place we've found that) and nice to catch up with Eva Hart's life after "Titanic" (her work life, etc.)
on March 23, 2012
I suppose of all the things written about the Titanic, this one DVD tells the story as best it can. It follows all the important information from first sailing on April 10 1912 to the sinking four days later. It also has an excellent commentary from survivors of the sinking. They go into great detail of exactly what happened to them. I myself, can only imagine what they all went through. I have been on several ships of all sizes and can say it is a great adventure. To be on a maiden voyage is even better. I have been on three such voyage's. Anyway, if you are at all interested in the Titanic as I am, then get this DVD. You will not be disapointed.
on April 12, 2013
Although the DVD does not contains an 100 anniversay stuff. IT DOES contains Things taken at the 100th anniversay - like why the memorial is so important to so many, which wasn't taken as much before, in the media. In the year 2012 it was more evident than ever that the memorial is important. I feel those films in this DVD have emphasize on the importance of it. In that, the DVD has succed and did a great job!
Another thing - many who saw it felt it's a bit tiresome to watch. But this is the British version of the disaster. Mind you - the workers of the Titanic was all British and the film taken in Biritan - it refelct that. For example my Irish penfriend has said in her county(Mayo) there was few Titanic fatalties. but 2 survivied. 3rd class passengers.
. The DVD contained MANY details on films Germany did on Titanic, and on a film done the same year Titanic sank. Those were thigns not many know of. They even say the names of those films and in soem cases who directed them. Than you can see the violin belongs to Titanic. You can see Olympic's interior at the hotel. I haven't seen it in many American documentaries of the Titanic, and I do have a few.

The DVD has a lot of details and nice interviews with young Titanic enthusiasts and a tour to places Titanic workers saw before etc etc.. Again, it's a British Version. but, at least you see it from their point of view and that is a great contribution, to be able to look at it from their point of view. I love the DVD. It gets '5' star from me
on July 23, 2013
The Interviews done prior to the passing of some the suvivors were very interesting, now, however, like the Titanic herself, all lost to time. The stories of the historical enthusist were really good, especially the "Why-I-became-interested-in-the-Titanic" rememberances.
Pretty good collection of British TV documentaries, but neither definitive nor up-to-date. Disc One dates from (apparently) the late 1980s and consists of several sections, most of them based on survivors' accounts with some narration and 1912-era paintings and newspaper headlines for visual emphasis. Not a lot of repetition, except that practically every segment ends with "Nearer, My God, to Thee." Perhaps the most interesting segment is a look at the various movies that have been spawned by the Titanic saga, from 1912 newsreels and two 1929 talkies (one in English, one German), to the 1958 documentary A NIGHT TO REMEMBER, which commentators uninanimously hailed as the best Titanic movie. (A forgivable consensus, since this was years before 1997's James Cameron epic.)

Disc Two is a film account of a 1982 Titanic convention in Philadelphia and is somewhat redundant: one of the survivors profiled had already had her say on the previous videotaped disc, which was actually compiled several years later. Also, a contemporary nickelodeon account of the ship and the rescue ship Carpathia is almost entirely a duplicate of material on Disc One. Still, the total material in this package is almost four and a half hours long, and at this price should appeal to Titanic devotees.
on December 31, 2015
Not the definitive collection as advertised.There are other better and later dvds around. The trouble is that no one has ever proven that the ship was indeed the titanic or the Olympic that had a last minute change of name.Watch that documentary,if you can find it.It is truly convincing.
on April 16, 2012
This set is comprised of some British documentaries on the famous ship and sinking. As a Titanic junkie (I saw A Night To Remember on the late show when I was a kid - I was hooked), I've read many books and have scores of documentaries and films on the subject. The 100th anniversary of the sinking has brought out a new wave of material.

This set had some mixed reviews and because it was so inexpensive, I leaped in and bought a set. Although there are always new tidbits to hear about and a few new pictures to see, this set is the dryest of the dry in terms of Titanic documentaries. I watched it and subsequently filed it away with others, likely never to watch it again.

As far as I am concerned, the gold standard Titanic documentary is the one done by A&E a number of years ago. I had it on vhs and then bought it again on dvd. I never tire of it.

I didn't think the story of the Titanic could ever be made so agonizingly boring, but this set proved me wrong. The only reason I gave it two stars was for the photos.

z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z