4.0 out of 5 stars Some good things, one thing not so good
Published on April 6, 2012 by Kitchenchemist

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic design flaw renders it unusable for some
Published on April 27, 2011 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic design flaw renders it unusable for some, April 27, 2011
Amazon Customer (Jacksonwald, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tivax STB-T12 Digital TV Converter Box (Electronics)
I purchased the Tivax STB-T12 based on good reviews of the t9 and t8 and the documentation on the T12 at the Tivax website. If you have a non-directional antenna like rabbit ears this may be a good converter for you since overall it did seem to perform well with the brief use that I made of it. If you have a directional antenna on a rotor like me you will probably want some other converter that allows you to do an "add scan" or has the ability to manually add channels. With the T12 every time you rotate the antenna you have to do a scan in order to pick up the channels from the new direction. It takes 3+ minutes to do a scan and it deletes any previously scanned channels that it doesn't find in the new direction. I spent several hours trying to do the "add scan" and to manually add channels as described in the FAQ on the Tivax website. I finally sent an email to tivax.com describing my problem. To their credit they responded the next day. They said they were "sorry" but the T12 did not have the ability to do an "add scan" or manually enter channels and that, oops, the references on their website were for the T8 and T9 which did have those features. By the way they don't even list the old T8 or T9 on their website any more. I returned the T12 and got a refund.

2.0 out of 5 stars Physical quality problems, June 1, 2011
This review is from: Tivax STB-T12 Digital TV Converter Box (Electronics)
I recently purchased the Tivax T-12( May 23rd, 2011).
It is a replacement for my older T-8 which still works fine but lacks more program information.
I have gone through 2, T-12 units and found the same problem with each one....
Both of the T-12's I have used so far, have the exact same problem:
The remote control is UNABLE to turn the units ON when they have been off overnight or while turned off for an extended period during the day. The only way it could be turned on was to physically do it by hand... pushing the ON-OFF button on the front of the box. Also, when trying to use the remote controls, they had to be pressed very firmly and multiple times in order to make them work!!!
I am at wit's end with this equipment! The most irritating problem is the lousy support I have received from Michley Tivax. They do not want to accept the blame and required me to pay for return shipping which they should absorb themselves as far as I am concerned.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tivax customer service non-existent, January 20, 2012
This review is from: Tivax STB-T12 Digital TV Converter Box (Electronics)
Do not buy Tivax products. I bought two converter boxes and both went belly up in a year. Worse, they are bogus customer service. You cannot find their phone number on the web, if you peek behind the box you get a number bit don't bother to call, the guy who replies knows nothing and tell you to email. If you send an email through their web sire it crashes and says try again later. A bogus company.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good things, one thing not so good, April 6, 2012
This review is from: Tivax STB-T12 Digital TV Converter Box (Electronics)
I had two Tivax STB-T9's, one quit working after 3 years. The T9 had the option to do an "add on" scan, which kept existing scanned channels while scanning for new ones. So if I moved my antenna, I could get more without having to do an entire scan, which took a long time. The T12 does not have this option, so I have to do a scan over again when I move my antenna to a different location (which I have to do to get certain channels.) The good things about the T12 are that the picture quality appears to be better, I get channels I didn't get with the T9 and the scan time is much quicker. Tivax must have merged with another company since my original purchase and the name on the unit is now Michley-Tivax, which isn't mentioned in the ads. The unit is much lighter and doesn't feel as solid as the old one. But overall, I'm happy with the 18 channels I can get with my indoor cheap antenna, being about 30 miles in the city from the towers. I had purchased a new TV but returned it because it didn't pick up any channels with same indoor antenna. I paid a total of $50 including shipping for my unit from Meritline.com

4.0 out of 5 stars Tivax STB-T12 Digital TV Converter, February 2, 2011
Tivax STB-T12 Digital TV Converter Box

2011Jan31: I just purchased one of these Tivax STB-T12 Digital TV Converter boxes to replace a Channel Master D2A Digital TV converter that I was using with my TiVo Series 2 TCD540080 DVR which had failed. I intend using this Tivax unit with the same TiVo Series 2 DVR. During setup of the Tivax unit with the TiVo I immediately encountered a problem. The TiVo unit could not control the Tivax unit using the IR Blaster which is the way the TiVo unit had previously been controlling the Channel Master converter. To be fair, the TiVo web site list the Tivax STV-T9 as being compatible with TiVo DVR's. The Tivac STB-T12 is not even mentioned on the TiVo web site. My guess is that Tivax has changed the IR control code from that of the T9 unit and either hasn't told TiVo or TiVo has ignored the changes and the upgrades of the T12. This also seems to be verified by a bit of experimenting that led me to discover that the TiVo Series 2 DVR can control the Tivax STB-T12 if during set up of the TiVo box you select APEX as the brand of Digital TV converter Box used. It seems the Tivax STB-T12 fully responds to the TiVo series 2 using the IR blaster when the TiVo DVR thinks it is talking to an APEX converter. At least, my TiVo TCD540080 controls and changes the channels on the Tivax STD-T12 properly. Otherwise, theTiVAX unit seems to be more sensitive that either my Channel Master or RCA Digital TV Converters. During scan it found and properly displayed Digital TV stations neither the Channel Master nor RCA can receive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad! Stopped working after 5 yrs, September 5, 2014
This review is from: Tivax STB-T12 Digital TV Converter Box (Electronics)
Bad results! I purchased 2 boxes in 2009 when the government switched to digital signal and they worked fine until 3 months ago. They both started turning off for no reason then turning right back on again. They both died within days of each other and I'm not in warranty. How can 2 separate boxes malfunction the same way at the same time on 2 different TVs?

1.0 out of 5 stars SAME AS THE BESTBUY APEX, MODEL DT250A ?, June 4, 2011
This review is from: Tivax STB-T12 Digital TV Converter Box (Electronics)
The rear panel input/outputs, sheetmetal cabinet and screw locations, venting slots, along with front panel on/off switch/button location is identical to the old BestBuy APEX, MODEL DT250A.

All we need now is for someone to post a picture of the remote control which is probably identical to the Apex DT250A, as well.

All problems mentioned by the other reviewers are identical to what I have experienced on my two Apex Model DT250A...If it is the same recycled unit as the old Apex, Model DT250A, it is no wonder why it is so bad!

1.0 out of 5 stars Digital Converter Box, January 10, 2013
Doug Thompson (Salt LAke City, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tivax STB-T12 Digital TV Converter Box (Electronics)
The Product arrived DOA, never worked, select something else. Does not look well built, not good choice and over priced.

2.0 out of 5 stars IR problems, May 29, 2011
This review is from: Tivax STB-T12 Digital TV Converter Box (Electronics)
I have had the STB-T12 for about 9 months and have sent it back twice to get Tivax to try to solve my problems. They must be related to the IR section because it has problems responding to the remote. It will not turn on usually unless I use the manual button, I have to press some of the commands 2-3 times before it will respond, and if I shut it off before I shut off the TV or VCR it will turn back on when I push the off/on command on those other remotes. If it will turn on with the remote--it goes on if I am using the TV/VCR remotes to turn those units on. When I send it back to Tivax they say they cannot get it to do anything wrong so it must be a problem in my environment--What a crock!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying, September 28, 2013
This review is from: Tivax STB-T12 Digital TV Converter Box (Electronics)
The picture and sound are adequate, however the remote reception is poor. You basically have to point the remote directly at the box to get it to do anything. The onscreen guide graphics look like they were designed by Atari in 1985, but they provide the required information when it is available. The one really, REALLY annoying thing about this box is that at least once a day, the thing just strokes out and completely shuts down and takes about 20-30 seconds to restart. I have no idea how you could let a product come to market that has such a blatant bug. I've missed ends of series finales, big plays during football games, important pieces of movies, etc all because this box decided to have a seizure at that particular random moment. I would look elsewhere, or just bite the bullet and get a new TV with a built-in receiver.