5.0 out of 5 stars another gem
After falling in love with "Like the Red Panda" I waited so long for the follow up. I have not been dissapointed at all. It made me laugh in the same uncomfortable way. All the little idiosyncrasies of the charecters in the story make for an entertaining read. A wonderful and engrossing story.
Published on August 8, 2006 by Daniel R. Solla

3.0 out of 5 stars Rich use of words, poor plot
Published on August 18, 2006 by K. Jervis

5.0 out of 5 stars another gem, August 8, 2006
Daniel R. Solla (Burlingham, NY USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Young & Talented & Fun--A Literary Trifecta!, August 6, 2006
This review is from: To Feel Stuff (Paperback)
I can't help being a devout fan of this writer and her amazing voice. So far she's written two novels and I adore what she does with her sentences . . . her style is flawless and always enchanting . . .

Listen, that she writes quirky, thought-provoking scenes that leave you breathless, that's part of her gift . . . Nobody gets inside here characters' mind beter, or is writing mind-blowing erotic sex scenes in this country . . . well, maybe Anne Tyler and Joyce Carol Oates.

I say Siegel is the literary daughter of Joan Didion and Kate Braverman. Yes, she is that good, and if you don't buy and read this book right away, you will be the poorer for it.

I can't wait for #3, or a collection of stories . . . either way I'm a big fan--as if you couldn't already tell.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rich use of words, poor plot, August 18, 2006
This review is from: To Feel Stuff (Paperback)
I picked up this book because the idea of the central characterI picked up this book because the idea of the central character's constant encounters with back to back illnesses intrigued me. I was disappointed when this was not a focus of the book but I was still entertained with the style of the book. I enjoyed the way the author wrote, the phrases she used and the imagery she created with her words. I did not care for the format of the book, as I found the dialogue a bit hard to follow with the changing of character point of view. I enjoyed the book; however, I gave it a 3 as I was very disappointed with the end. The book seemed to end abruptly with all loose ends being tied together in one short space. I also found the book's subject to be a bit fantastical and hard to follow. I would recommend this book for people who enjoy the rich use of words but not to one looking for a good, well developed plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, December 21, 2010
This review is from: To Feel Stuff (Paperback)
I can't believe Andrea Seigel hasn't been widely recognized for her amazing story telling skill. I love her writing and can't wait to read more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain bin goodness, April 18, 2010
This review is from: To Feel Stuff (Paperback)
I got this book out of the bargain bin at a local bookstore thinking it'd be solid, but not too good or it would be on the shelves right? I was surprised when I found it to be an enveloping, entertaining story. Seigel's writing is spectacular. This book is fantastic. Five freaking stars all the way

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read! Seigel is a great talent., August 7, 2006
This review is from: To Feel Stuff (Paperback)
Elodie Harrington has taken up permanent residence in the Brown University infirmary due to the parade of illnesses that march through her frail body. She has become the central focus of several people: To Chess Hunter, the charasmatic a capella singer whose violent attack she silently bore witness to, Elodie is a diversion and the object of his affection in a budding romance. To Professor Mark Kirschling, MD, Elodie is a medical anomaly and a case he is intent on cracking to further his professional career. And to the ghostly apparation, Elodie seems to be the only person who has the ability to make contact with him, yet she's not quite sure what exactly he wants from her.

Seigel's writing is uniquely her own--humorous, eloquent, and suspenseful. She manages to weave a story that has great pacing, an intriguing plot, and supernatural undertones. Seigel brings Elodie to life in a story that calls into question human frailty and mortality.

Healthwise, Elodie is the weakest of the three narrators, yet Seigel manages to make her the most "real" through her dry humor, keen observations and compassionate nature. The things that may seem to make her the most neurotic--constantly switching shampoos; drinking Coke first thing in the morning; reading the STD pamphlets in the pharmacy waiting room; getting first dibs on pharmaceutical gifts; and watching the Home Shopping Network--are the things that endear her to the reader.

Seigel, author of LIKE THE RED PANDA, has provided a wonderful read in her sophomore book. She is a great example of the new generation of writers. Andrea Seigel is definitely one to watch. BookFinds looks forward to this young writer's next endeavor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Sophomoric, September 17, 2006
This review is from: To Feel Stuff (Paperback)
Andrea Seigel's sophomore novel makes me wish I were back in college. First because there are so many juicy themes in "To Feel Stuff" that I wish I *had* to invest the time to write a thorough essay rather than getting off easy with a quick review: Science vs. the supernatural, love and/in isolation, post-traumatic growth and metamorphosis. And what would a psychoanalyst uncover in Seigel's take on the doctor-patient relationship?

Second, "Stuff" makes me wish I were back in college because of Seigel's handling of young love. Considering that this book is largely a love letter, it is remarkably unsentimental. The young lovers are passionately, deeply in love. Their love is so simple yet is turned over and examined from every possible angle, just out of curiosity and awe at the newness of it. Yet they have no illusions that it will survive the summer break. This is the least naive treatment of love since "The Rules of Attraction." (In all honestly I've only seen the movie, not read Bret Easton Ellis' book, but I think that counts for partial credit.)

Beyond the intriguing themes, and the nostalgia it evokes, "Stuff" is just so damn well written. Seigel's metaphors are drawn from such mundane sources as a trip to Chuck E. Cheese, yet leave the reader nodding emphatically with complete understanding of what she was trying to convey. Further, the book is full of brilliant moments: Elodie tallying another day on the baseboard, since she had collapsed and happened to be their anyway, Chess catching sight of Elodie for the first time outside the infirmary and, of course, "Girlfriend in a Coma."

Seigel's first novel, "Like the Red Panda," made me cry. (Um, in a manly kind of way.) "To Feel Stuff" made me laugh and wonder. What's next?

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, March 9, 2014
This review is from: To Feel Stuff (Paperback)
Not too interesting. Very peculiar book. The ending is stupid. Elodie is a really dumb name that bothered me. Boring!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky author, unusual story!, July 13, 2013
dragonlady (Glens Falls, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Feel Stuff (Paperback)
Seigel's prior novel, Like the Red Panda, broke my heart and touched me in a way that has had me read it and recommend it many times over. To Feel Stuff is written with the same sort of intelligent delivery, but with a story so bizarre that while I enjoyed it, it lacked a certain believability that made her other novel so heartbreaking. The blood was written from he viewpoints of three characters in the book, as letter and a journal. I liked the way these told a story that continued pretty seamlessly. Each filled in the holes left by the other. I was disappointed in the way some of the thread of this story ended, but I won't spoil it it here! Not a perfect book, but still worth reading if you like a story that is not 'typical' and don't mind the inclusion of a ghost!

4.0 out of 5 stars Intense and riveting, February 23, 2009
This review is from: To Feel Stuff (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this story. The struggles and successes of an ill college girl and her life in the infirmary provide for an awe-inspiring glance into the core of human interaction.

To Feel Stuff
To Feel Stuff by Andrea Seigel (Paperback - August 1, 2006)
$16.95 $12.70