4.0 out of 5 stars I gave it 3.5 stars
I enjoyed Kat. I liked her Attitude. I like that even though she was turned she still fights to keep humans safe from the Vampires and Weres. I like her loyalty to her friend and roommate. I also really loved the image of her that was depicted on the cover of the book, It completely matched how I would picture her in my mind.

There were a few slow parts in TO...
Published on February 3, 2012 by Urban Fantasy Investigations

3.0 out of 5 stars A darker, gritter brand of urban fantasy.
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy:
[...]

Published on January 4, 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A darker, gritter brand of urban fantasy., January 4, 2012
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy:
[...]

This book more than lives up to it's kick butt cover art in terms of menace; fans of a darker, grittier brand of urban fantasy will love E. S. Moore's TO WALK THE NIGHT. Kat Redding stalks through the underbelly of a changed but recognizable version of our world, striking fear in the hearts of the predators that prey upon ordinary humans. It was almost impossible not to imagine Kate Beckinsale's leather-clad form as Kat, but unfortunately, no scruffy and handsome leading man appeared to fight by her side.

That lack of romance was one mark against TO WALK THE NIGHT, but my largest issue overall was the ambiguity of all the characters introduced. Everyone in this book, including Kat herself, has dark secrets and feet of clay. With so many conflicting good/evil signals bouncing around I had a hard time getting invested in any side of the conflict. There were a number of cinematic fight scenes and some interesting mythology details (I particularly liked vampire fangs cutting their gums when they emerge, a la Wolverine's claws), but pure mythology and action was not enough to keep me focused when I was unsure who I should really be rooting for.

Though things lagged for me in the middle, the book manages to end on a high note that has piqued my interest for book two. TAINTED NIGHT, TAINTED BLOOD will be available this summer, and since many of my favorite series started with a slow burning book one, I'm hoping that book two will delve a little deeper into the characters introduced in TO WALK THE NIGHT.

Sexual Content: Attempted rape, mention of sexual abuse.

2.0 out of 5 stars And the point to the story was...nothing, September 7, 2012
I read the book, which really was about one night where she kills a bunch of vamps. No potential love interest. No real character building other than the fact she kills alot. The story didn't really go anywhere. I was kind of bored by the end and really not interested in going further.

2.0 out of 5 stars To Walk the Night, January 20, 2013
This is one of those books that looks really cool it seems like it would be a fun read and it's totally in the genre that I love Urban Fantasy/Paranormal. I have not heard a whole lot about this series which has 3 books that were published within 2012. The whole premise of this book felt very much like Kate Beckinsale's character in Underworld except younger and not British. Kat is a vampire turned against her will, leather clad, who is out to get pretty much any vamp that moves. The opening scene is an action scene her killing a bunch of vamps, some weres and I believe even some humans who were friendly with the vamps. She is "Lady Death" which she hates, she lives with a guy who had gone through the same horrors as Kat and he pretty much lives his life to be her Q it seems. I didn't really feel any connection with the characters, I kept feeling like it was leading up to something really interesting .... then it didn't. The action scenes were great and really well written and the writing itself was pretty good, it's just the story didn't really come together, it wasn't something that grabbed you in. I felt like I was just skimming the surface of a pool but the tarp was covering it and you could never really dive in. Ok, I'm not a great at these analogies. Maybe I'll read the next one, maybe that will be the one that sucks me in, because sometimes that happens, sometimes the first book isn't what gets me it's the second or third. We'll see.

3.0 out of 5 stars Endless Action!, February 22, 2012
This review is from: To Walk the Night (Kat Redding) (Mass Market Paperback)
To Walk the Night is the dark, gory first installment in E.S. Moore's Kat Redding series. I did find myself somewhat bored for a little bit, as there is so much world building in the beginning. I call this my first book blues. Most Urban Fantasy series that I love suffer this, but I appreciate all the fascinating world building... Really pays off in the books to come. I'll definitely be reading Kat Redding #2.

The plot really hits off about halfway through, and then the story really flowed. This is a violent, gritty Urban Fantasy novel, so if you're looking for a lot of romance, this isn't the book for you. It is well written, has great flow and is easy to follow. The ride you take with Kat is an entertaining one.

Kat Redding is super badass. I mean, they call her Lady Death. I had a hard time connecting with Kat. I need to be able to relate to my heroine better than I could here, which is the only reason this didn't get four robots. I just couldn't understand some of her decisions. Regardless, there is endless action and a fascinating world that kept me flipping the pages. I highly recommend this book to any Urban Fantasy fan out there. I think E.S. Moore is really going to deliver in the sequel!

4.0 out of 5 stars I gave it 3.5 stars, February 3, 2012
This review is from: To Walk the Night (Kat Redding) (Mass Market Paperback)

There were a few slow parts in TO WALK THE NIGHT but the overall flow was nice. There is no romance which I didn't like nor dislike. I would like to see how she would handle something like that in the future but I enjoyed getting to know Kat without that. There was tons of action throughout the book and the world that Moore built was intriguing. I think any Urban Fantasy lover will enjoy TO WALK THE NIGHT.

4.0 out of 5 stars An admirable heroine with serious battle skills & attitude plus a plucky & interesting side kick, January 8, 2012
Bookaholics Reviewer (Bay Area, California) - See all my reviews
To Walk the Night by E.S. Moore
Urban Fantasy - Jan. 3rd, 2012
4 ˝ stars

This amazing new Urban Fantasy will feel somewhat familiar but will dazzles fans of the genre as a vampire named Lady Death seeks vengeance on vampires.

Kat Redding was turned into a vampire against her will. She killed the vampires responsible for her brother's death and now seeks to prevent other vampire from causing further harm. A vampire killing machine, Kat is determined to protect all humans and leave none alive who might be able to recognize her. Kat now lives in a secret hideaway with a young human named Ethan whom she saved. Ethan is a mechanical genius who cleans up her prized motorcycle and deadly weapons. But when their `secret' place is broken into and Ethan is taken hostage, Kat is alarmed. The intruder is a member of a cult that worships shifter and has shifter members. They do not like vampires, yet they want Kat to meet them. Kat realizes that she might be putting her life in their hands if she visits them. But Kat has never played it safe, and she visits cult who try to blackmail her to do them a dangerous favor. But this favor may be more than she can handle...

This was a fabulous book! It reminded me of Jeaniene Frost's Huntress series. It has high energy and a kick a## heroine which makes for an exciting read. I liked that the heroine is not completely clueless and already has strong secondary characters and a lot of self-confidence. I particularly enjoyed reading about her side kick, Ethan. Ethan has secrets of his owns which I feel will have consequences in future books. I also liked the secret `Batman' like hideaway filled with tech gadgets that makes Kat and Ethan a seriously cool team. I found their relationship very involving as Ethan is like a young brother but tries to take care of Kat and prevent her from becoming too dark from all her killing. Kat is a very enjoyable character because she has a clear motivation, a sense of purpose, and is not whiny or bratty. This is a series that I hope continues for many books!

An admirable heroine with serious battle skills and attitude plus a plucky and interesting side kick make this a series one to watch out for!

Reviewed by Steph from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club

4.0 out of 5 stars An Impressive Debut, January 4, 2012
This review is from: To Walk the Night (Kat Redding) (Mass Market Paperback)
Most vampires live for the hunt and see humans as nothing more than prey, but not Kat. She loathes what she has become and protects the purebloods from the creatures that would harm them. She fights her very nature tooth and nail, and has become quite good at killing her own kind. She's known as Lady Death and is on every vamp's most wanted list. She's always worked alone, but that must change for she's about to go up against a Count who is determined to amass power by the most appalling means. She will quickly have to decide who to trust before her own nature gets in her way, and turns her into the very type of creature she hunts.

Kat is one tough as nails character, well mostly that is. Her past has turned her hard, but she can never quite escape it, especially since it turned her into the thing she hates the most, a vampire. To be honest, she reminds me a little of Blade in that she fights her nature and hunts those who prey on the weak. One thing I did find to be odd was the trouble she had in some of her fights as she is supposed the be the most feared woman of her kind, even earning herself the nickname "Lady Death." Perhaps it can just be chalked up to the author not wanting Kat to seem invincible, or overly skilled. That being said, the other characters were very easy to become attached to in To Walk the Night, which I did find to be a little ironic due to Kat's completely untrusting nature. Even though she pretty much despises everyone and anyone, including herself, I found myself wanting to side with some of the others.

I am quite intrigued with the world and rules behind the story in To Walk the Night. I've always loved books with an open world rather than a bunch of secrecy, as I think it is fascinating to see how plain old humans react to the supernatural. In this book, humans, or purebloods are really nothing more than slaves, as the "monsters" have taken over, with vampires being the very top of the hierarchy. Another really interesting and unique aspect to the world is how lethal vampire blood is to werewolves, and vice versa. It can get quite tricky as both species must be very careful to only feed from purebloods or risk contamination that will cause them to become no more than a slavering killing machine. Talk about watching what you eat!

To Walk the Night was a decent first installment for this new series. I found it to be very well written and easy to follow, not at all reading like a debut novel. While the middle did seem to drag just a little, To Walk the Night had a fair amount more action than many other series openers, which made it quite impressive in the end. Also, it is important to note that To Walk the Night is strictly urban fantasy without even a hint of romance. Even though I can't say that is my usual preference in a book, the amount of action well outweighed the downside of the lack in romance. So all in all, I was rather impressed with To Walk the Night, which definitely earns it a recommendation from me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Urban Fantasy with lots of action, March 21, 2012
This is not my typical read as its Urban Fantasy, but it looked Paranormal as well, which is my normal flavor, so I decided to give it a try.

Kat Redding is a vampire, who kills her own kind to keep Pureblood humans safe. She's so good at killing them that she's earned the nickname Lady Death. Of course the other vampires aren't too fond of her, but she doesn't really care what they think and she tries to hold onto her humanity as best as any vampire can.
Along the journey she gets forced into a meeting with the Luna Cult. The Luna Cult is a group that collects rogue werewolves and they want her to help them on a case, even though Kat's been known to kill werewolves too. They have word of a Vampire Count who's trying to merge his House with a werewolf cult to become more powerful than they have the right to be.

There are vampire houses that keep Pureblood humans basically as a food source and Kat relishes destroying those houses and the Count of the house in order to save them. For a vampire Kat has a lot of compassion and love for the Purebloods. Even though she has the nickname Lady Death, she still risks death every time she fights the vampires.

Kat of course is against the Vampire Count who wants to merge his house to become more powerful and agrees to help the Luna Cult, even though this Vampire Count is pretty powerful and might actually kill her for real this time.

If you like take-no prisoners' ballsy women, you'll love Kat. She reminds me of the ruthlessness of Anita Blake in the earlier Anita Blake novels by Laurell K. Hamilton. There was no real romance or sexual tension, which I normally like in my books. Even if it takes my characters 5 books to actually get together, in any shape or form, so I was a bit disappointed in the lack of that in this book. But, if you like strictly action packed ladies, I suggest you give Kat a call.

Rated 3.5 Stars by Paranormal Addicts

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, March 1, 2012
This review is from: To Walk the Night (Kat Redding) (Mass Market Paperback)
Kat Redding is a vampire and werewolf hunter. She and her brother Thomas hunted down rogues, killed them and lived to do it again. Until one night, they were captured. Thomas's fate was terrible and Kat was turned into one of the things she hated most, a vampire. After a time, she managed to break free killing everyone in the Valentino Vampire House, but saving one man, a Pureblood named Ethan, one of the humans the vampires fed on. Grateful beyond words, he stayed with her, helping her in any way he could while she continued to hunt and kill those that needed hunted and killed. The last thing you wanted was Lady Death to come calling.

'To Walk the Night' begins several years after Kat escapes House Valentino. The Luna Cult, a group of Purebloods (humans) who worship werewolves, has a problem, a big problem, and the only solution is to ask Kat for help, so they send a messenger with the address for their Den. Kat doesn't trust the Cult because they worship the monsters, werewolves, but she's too curious not to see what they want. You know what they say about curiosity, right? Her name may be Kat, but it's a good thing she's a vampire.

This was a great first book in a new series. The writing was smooth, the plot intriguing, the story fascinating, the characters interesting. I'm reminded of the first time I read 'Guilty Pleasures' by Laurell K. Hamilton. Both are similar stories, yet not. In either case, I couldn't put them down.

An awesome read! I very much look forward to Book 2, 'Tainted Night, Tainted Blood' coming 3 July 2012.

*The publisher provided a copy of this book to me for review. Please see disclaimer page on my blog.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely some originality in a genre where everything always seems the same., April 28, 2014
I was hesitant to start this series because from my experience, a male writing from a woman's POV is a tricky thing to do. I attempted to read another popular series that's in the same fashion as this one and it was a train wreck. I fully expected that heroine to scratch her balls and hock a loog, she was that manly. Kat Redding, while tough, isn't manly in the sense that the author used an interchangeable character, where she is a she on paper but could easily be switched out for a dude. Kat was tough, she was a fighter, and she wasn't overdone to the point where the author is clearly grasping to fit their estimation of what a female would do/say at any point. Another refreshing element was there was no swooning. No "rippling maleness" that the other female leads in this genre chronically point out. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the rippling maleness, mind you. But it was enjoyable to have a story without constantly having to read about "members", length and girth, and "abs for days".

Another thing I liked about this book was that the vampires and werewolves weren't sexy. They were killers; out for blood, not orgasms. Kat is also a vampire, but it's not of her choosing. She hunts and kills both vampires and weres and would rather have stayed a Pureblood (which I'm guessing is just your average human. I didn't quite grasp that aspect). Unfortunate circumstances related to the Uprising is what made Kat what she is today - both a vampire and a killer. She's a hunter, seeking revenge for the devastation of her family. During one of their hunts, her brother was tainted by both vampire and were blood, which makes him a lost cause, and she was tainted by vampire blood, which turned her. She is disgusted most of the time by her vampire status.

The pace of this book was kind of slow in the beginning. I'm always forgiving with first books in a series because it's usually the book that sets everything up - the world, the characters, the storyline. Surprisingly, I didn't skim any parts despite the slow pace. Some of the secondary characters weren't overly described, such as Ethan, but again - first in a series, can't know everything now. I'm hoping he's more involved in the following books because he is quite an interesting guy.

This story also gets some extra points because there is a lot of originality. The Uprising was the catalyst for the story - vamps and weres came out with a vengeance, forcing Purebloods (at least the majority) to leave the night to the creatures. There are still human groupies, they come out at night for chance to "meet" the creatures. I also liked the world Moore built. It's an alternate Ohio, one of the major college campuses is mostly empty because of the Uprising, and some of the important characters make their homes/headquarters/lairs in the abandoned college buildings. I always like "alternate" versions of places I am familiar with, it adds an extra layer of enjoyment for me.

All in all, I took a gamble and bought most of the series at once. I'm glad I did because I really enjoyed Kat Redding and look forward to reading the following books.

To Walk the Night (Kat Redding)
To Walk the Night (Kat Redding) by E.S. Moore (Mass Market Paperback - January 1, 2012)
$7.99 $7.19