This recipe book (and I mean just the table of contents) got my mouth watering from start to finish!

Published on December 31, 2011 by Susan Schenck

2.0 out of 5 stars Caveat emptor
Do not buy this book unless you are willing to buy Primal Fuel at $100 for 30 servings. The majority of these recipes use that as a primary ingredient. I didn't find the book very useful because I wasn't going to buy that product.
Published on April 15, 2012 by T. Griffy

2.0 out of 5 stars Caveat emptor, April 15, 2012
T. Griffy (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toadally Primal Smoothies: 150 Nourishing Paleo Smoothie Recipes (Kindle Edition)

2.0 out of 5 stars product peddler, January 7, 2012
From the very beginning of the book "the toad" (the author) is pushing a blender. Then almost every smoothie recipe calls for something called primal fuel. Some type of protein powder (he swears by it). There are some strange ingredients in most of these smoothies so if you don't want to be out buying up the health food store or if raw eggs are not appealing to you, don't bother. As for the kindle version mistakes a plenty! Really just not what I was looking for. I wanted a simple smoothie book with natural ingredients, not all these powders.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with Superfoods, Includes Low Carb Recipes---My Mouth is Watering!, December 31, 2011

In the book's intro, the author explains what low carb is: If the total carbohydrate count for a recipe is 20% or less of the total calorie count then it will be labeled low carb. Tongue in cheek, he adds, "Easy. Right?" Actually, nothing could be harder, especially for smoothies, which are traditionally packed with fruit. Yet, 18 of the smoothies match this definition!

Each of the 70 recipes contains not only the ingredients and instructions, but also the nutritional data, broken down into two categories: macronutrients (ie: fiber, sugar, protein, fat, and omega 6) and vitamins & minerals. The author explains in the intro, "The lower the omega 6 content, the better." The recipes also have a picture and comments/suggestions. The author also provides websites where you can purchase many of the ingredients. There is also an index of ingredients at the end, making this a very handy reference book.

The author explains, "Grains, legumes and dairy are not technically primal. However, we are not living in caveman times. You use a computer and refrigerator, right? Some recipes inside this book have whey protein powder, sour cream and/or yogurt. No smoothies contain legumes or grains outside of chocolate." I might add, if you are going to use dairy, sour cream and yogurt are among the least offensive and easiest to digest.

It is debatable as to whether chocolate is a Paleo food. I personally vote on the side of the author! Packed with anti-oxidants, it works, in moderation, for me! But overdo it and I get anxiety and/or insomnia, just as with caffeine. This is because of the bromothien in chocolate, which has a similar effect as caffeine.

The author wisely explains how to choose eggs safely so that they can be eaten raw. I personally can attest that if one does so, he will not get sick. I even detail in my books how to do this, and how I have eaten SEVERAL THOUSAND raw eggs without ill effect. OK, one time I did get some bloatedness and gas, but this went away in ten minutes after taking some activated charcoal tablets (which is wise to keep on hand for any kind of food poisoning). The fact is: if the egg comes from a healthy, non factory-farmed chicken, it should be no problem.

The author also includes kombucha (a fermented mushroom filled with friendly bacteria when eaten raw) in his recipes. I drink this stuff DAILY, as it aids the immune system. It's easy and ultra-inexpensive to make your own home brew. A man after my own heart, the author also includes a bit of coffee in some of the recipes.

The smoothies are wisely prepared with many super foods, foods packed with extra nutrition. These include kale, coconut butter, maca (a Peruvian root that balances hormones), cinnamon (great for stabilizing blood sugar and hence insulin), egg yolks, cacao nibs, blueberries, and more.

Some of the smoothies I can't wait to try include Mango Coconut Kombucha, Chocolate Lime Macadamia, Vanilla Ginger Blackberry Coconut, Creamy Coconut Macadamia Coffee, and more.

Susan Schenck, author of The Live Food Factor: The Comprehensive Guide to the Ultimate Diet for Body, Mind, Spirit & Planet
and
Beyond Broccoli, Creating a Biologically Balanced Diet When a Vegetarian Diet Doesn't Work

5.0 out of 5 stars Direct, simple, too the point healthy shakes, January 5, 2012
Exactly what I was looking for: a simple, well laid out, and to the point list of tasty smoothies; all for a great price!

5.0 out of 5 stars No guess work, author has done it all., November 24, 2012
Primal Toad has put together a fantastic collection here. I'm impressed by all the information he supplies for each recipe. You can tell he has spent a lot of time on this book. He has thought of the unique combination, compiled the nutritional facts, given his opinions/suggestions and even has taken a picture of each one. I love pictures in recipe books. You can tell the author really went the extra mile and I've always been shocked at how low the price is. I've paid more for ebooks that I've gone though once and never went back to. Thanks for showing us new ways to use healthy ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome stuff, September 5, 2012
These are all incredibly tasty and are great to eat for breakfast when I'm trying to kickstart my day in a healthy way!

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate guide, December 8, 2011
This book is well worth what you pay for it and actually worth more. I LOVE mine and it has been such a life saver. Smoothies do not come naturally to me and primal smoothies drew a blank. Now I have a quick option when I am running late that will always satisfy me and keep me healthy. The recipes are simple and delicious. Each recipe includes a nutrient profile so you can pick for health first, if you want. The book is well separated so that you can choose a recipe with protein powders, or green smoothies, or the ever popular low carb smoothies. Its a great gift for your friends also! I have enjoyed every recipe I have tried so far, about 30. I am looking forward to the pumpkin pie smoothie today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great variety!, December 5, 2011
When I'm needing variety and ideas to change up my smoothies, this is my go to source for ideas. Not only does he provide recipes, but he also gives great descriptions on consistency, sweetness levels & optional add ins that complements each recipe. What I like best is that I'm always able to find a recipe for ingredients that I have in stock. And that I can make not just protein smoothies, but also great tasting green smoothies. Grat job!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, February 26, 2012
Todd has created an incredible primal smoothie book. It is ever growing with more recipes. It has an awesome index, and some ingredients I know you will never have thought to put into a smoothie. There will be enough variety that no matter your personal taste you will find many new and wonderful beverages. Todd takes us through the process from choosing ingredients to the finished product. The categories of smoothies are:

Low Carb
Coconut
Almond Milk
Dairy
Odds & Ends

With over 70 recipes currently it is an amazing collection. I have tried about 20 so far, a few not to my liking based on my preferences, but all of them were nutritious and well worth trying. I have a found a few that are new favorites including The Mint N Kale, Tropical Protein Boost and Papaya Avacado Coconut. Each recipe is on a separate page with a color photo, ingredients needed, nutritional data and vitamin and mineral breakdown . It is a great tool in your health and fitness arsena. If you're Primal or Paleo, it will be an amazing resource, if you're health conscious it will give you some awesome variety to try.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: This Recipe Book is NOT Paleo, December 11, 2012
David Dill (Pottstown, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I was considering purchasing this recipe book as I follow a Paleo diet. This recipe book is NOT Paleo friendly.

One recipe calls for using Primal Fuel as an ingredient. Primal Fuel itself contains whey protein (dairy), maltodextrin (likely from corn), Sodium Caseinate (another milk protein).

Just a heads up for the Paleo community. I'm passing this one up.

Rate and Discover Movies