Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on June 13, 2000
The snackster is the best appliance in my kitchen. It makes incredibly tasty snacks. I eat grilled cheese sandwichs and french toast and jam filled pockets and tomato filled pockets. I could eat from the snackster everyday for the rest of my life. The non stick qualities of the snackster make it so easy to clean. The snackster is simple to use and all of my friends think that I am an awesome cook when they eat my snackster treats! I recommend the snackster to everyone!
on October 25, 2001
I love my waffle iron and I've often experimented with various recipes to make not only tradition waffles, but find more creative uses for them, such as making the waffles as the bread for interesting sandwich creations. It's a lot of fun and I still put the waffle iron to good use. However, it can only do so much. Hence, when I came across sandwich makers, my interest was piqued, and the hunt for a good low-priced, two-section sandwich maker ensued.
DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS:
I picked the Toastmaster 289 Snackster, because of its aesthetically smooth and sleek design. It can stand upright for storage -- a plus if you're into saving kitchen space.
Among all the other models in its price range as well as higher priced models, it is the only one with a covered hinge -- no exposed heating coil!
One caveat though: The center part of the handle where it locks is plastic and could break off. It's best not to lock the machine closed if you overfill the pockets. It's also a good idea not to knock the machine about because it would probably be the first part to break off -- but then again, why would anyone?
EXPERIENCE WITH USAGE
As with all other sandwich makers, it's extremely easy to use.
It heats up quickly, so it is ready by the time you've gathered and prepped the ingredients for cooking.
Pop in some buttered bread (or unbuttered bread for the calorie conscious), layer in the filling of you choice, top with more buttered bread, close the sandwich maker -- and voila! In a few minutes you have hot-pocket style sandwiches with a crispy, golden exterior and yummy filling that's well-heated through.
Caveats: If you cook foods in it that don't have too much oil such as omelettes or batters, you may have to season the grids with some vegetable oil or other equivalent beforehand so that the food doesn't end up sticking and making it difficult to remove when the cooking is finished.
CREATIVE COOKING WITH THE SNACKSTER
The fun part of using the Snackster is the wide variety of foods that can be cooked in it, giving creativity free reign. Use dough instead of bread along with your favorite filling for a true hot pocket which is accompanied with that just-baked-fresh-bread aroma and taste.
I've used muffin and quick-bread batters (I season the grids with oil if the recipe doesn't include any in the batter). They come out with a wonderful crispy crust and well-cooked inner sponge. The "hot pocket" muffins keep well in the freezer and can be warmed later in the toaster oven for a quick snack.
The Snackster can also make fast and fantastic fruit pies with just two ingredients: store-bought pastry dough and canned pie filling. Of course, if you're a purist, homemade pastry dough and filling will make it more special.
I also like using the Snackster for omelettes because it's just faster than cooking with a frying pan or griddle.
CLEAN UP
The exterior is *very* easy to wipe up. The interior is also easy to clean, but sometimes may require more effort. In such cases, just add a little water to the lower grids, close the Snackster, and plug in the appliance to heat up the grids a bit. Wipe up of the interior afterwards should be easy.
Caveats: It has some nooks and crannies that can be hard to reach -- especially in the hinge area. If it really bothers you, patience and a pipe cleaner can get into those areas.
CONCLUSION
I really enjoy my Toastmaster 289 Snackster. It is convenient, versatile and so much fun to cook with, making it an excellent candidate as a gift for most anyone, including yourself. I highly recommend it!
on July 6, 2000
I recently bought a snackster hoping to find exactly what Ms. Bateson descibed...and I DID. The snackster is a versitile kitchen appliance that cooks and cleans with ease. From grilled ham and cheese to pizza bites to french toast my stomach is always happy. It perfect for that night when an extravagant dinner is out of the question and perfect for that on the go snack. Quick and easy for breakfast, lunch, and dinner....the snackster is a winner!
on August 16, 2000
My friend Niffy Bateson Rodgerson gave me the Snackster as a gift, and WOWEE! I had experienced the wonder of the Snackster when she used to make me tasty snacks, but it's nothing like having it for your very own! You can do pitas, crepe-like things, and other tasty treats beyond the usual grilled cheese, too! Mmmmm!
on February 15, 2001
A girl on my dorm hall bought one and left it in the lounge. Before long someone stuck some cheap bread and cheese (we are college students therefore perpetually broke) into it. The sandwiches it created were DELICIOUS. This was the best alternative to cafeteria food (that isn't a brick of noodles) yet! What's more, it doesn't just do grilled cheese but hot-pockets too!
on July 11, 2001
My husband found this for me; he knew I'd been searching a long time for a closed sandwich grill that didn't cut each sandwich into halves (to replace my VERY old one, which happens to be from the same maker). Bonus: great waffles.
on January 2, 2004
This is not a bad little sandwich maker. The pockets are narrow so the fillings do squeeze out the side. It is easy to clean. Unfortunately, it is not very long-lasting. One of the plastic light covers came off about 3 days after I purchased it. The other one popped off about one month later. I have had it for about 5 months now and the cord apparently has shorted out. I have to wiggle it for five minutes before I can get the sandwich maker to turn on. Since my kids are hooked on the grilled cheese sandwiches I make in it, I will be heading out to buy another sandwich maker. I just don't think it will be this brand again.
on February 5, 2002
It seems like the place where you put the bread is slightly too big for normal sized bread - the bread doesn't get sealed around the edges and the filling (cheese especially) oozes out and gets in the little crack around the grilling surface. Also, thick slices of bread will push forward when you close the griller. Other than that, it makes great sandwiches
on August 28, 2002
I bought this item 4 weeks ago and have used it almost everyday and sometimes several times a day. Quick, easy, delicious and a breeze to clean. I have found lots of different ways to eat sandwiches, quesadillas, pastries using leftovers. One of my favorites is fresh peach sandwiches! I am purchasing another to keep at the office.
on June 30, 2000
I just got this sandwich maker this week and it is great. I have only used flour tortillas with filling so far. The tortillas don't get real soggy like I have heard that bread does. Cherry pie filling with milk chocolate chips is great. I have never had cherry pie with chocolate chips baked in, but it is fantastic.
My only compaint is that the pockets are too shallow to hold a lot of filling. I think they are all designed that way though.
Cleanup was not bad and if you don't overcook or overstuff then the filling should not leak out.
If you are tired of buying expensive frozen entrees and desserts, then give this a whirl.