Hard to evaluate based on one edition, particularly as this one (Dec 26) has a fair amount of its content focused on "year in review" sort of articles. I will try this again when traveling, pairing it with the WSJ. It probably will fall into the guilty pleasure bucket for me and I suspect that the NY Times will edge it out most days.
1. NY Times-like layout, using the easy to navigate "sections, articles" format.
2. Word length indication at the beginning of each article
3. Use of sub-headings within many articles
4. National scope of coverage for sports
1. Very few pictures and no graphics
2. No sports standings (they could have really made this a "killer ap")
3. Quite a few of the shorter stories left me wanting a bit more (I know, this is USA Today!)
Net, worth a try at the price, but will probably be trumped by the Times, Post, etc. whose readers want that sort of depth, and will leave readers who like the paper version of USA Today buying their hard copy.