4.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 Stars
Plot/Storyline: 3 3/4 Stars

With an extremely original plot, the reader is taken on a trip with many twists and turns. This is not your typical terrorist or serial killer book. Instead, it is a combination of both.

Published on December 7, 2009 by Lynn McNamee

3.0 out of 5 stars Only OK
Toe Popper starts off with a good premise and lots of promise. It doesn't deliver fully on either. There's no real resolution to the plot and no discernible way that the protagonist really could have "solved" the crime at all. He displays no expertise at all and only stumbles onto the "villain" as a result of his drug addiction. Still, there's probably enough here to make...
Published on June 30, 2010 by Book Lady

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 Stars, December 7, 2009
Plot/Storyline: 3 3/4 Stars

Told mainly from the viewpoints of Major Lane, FBI Agent Catherine, and the `bomb planter,' the reader gets a panoramic view of the events. There are several other portions told from the viewpoints of some of the victims with some background thrown in for empathy with even the smallest of character parts.

The only downfall was all of the extraneous scenes. I had to wade through an entire chapter of Catherine going home and getting into her hot tub, alone. I had to sift through another chapter of Lane visiting a mall; I tried to find some relevance, but failed. There was even an entire thread that followed a college student, who was only on the peripheral of the investigation.

A good thirty percent of this novel should have been left in the "Recycling Bin" on the author's computer. Yes, it would have been much shorter, but the result would be a tightly written thriller.

I understood the motive of the bad guy. However, I do feel it would have been made more clear if a certain event in his daughter's life had happened elsewhere. If this sounds cryptic, then I have done my job of not including spoilers.

It was very obvious that some detailed research went into the writing of this novel. That made for some interesting, and even somewhat educational reading. Yes, I accidentally learned some things.

Character Development: 4 1/4 Stars

Major Lane was a strong character. To depict him with a drug addiction was terrific, but to have it also entertwine so well with the plot was a stroke of genius. I would love to see a new thriller with Lane as an ongoing character.

Catherine was also a well-developed character. She was a terrific foil for Lane, providing for not only an interesting love interest, but also how difficult being a female FBI agent must be.

Although much of the book was told from the bad guy's viewpoint, his character development was still weak. As I mentioned above, a change in location of an event in his daughter's life would definitely have made his motive more believable, and even could have evoked more sympathy with the reader. As it stood, I just couldn't empathize with him.

Writing Style: 4 3/4 Stars

The writing style only suffered on one point. For some reason, in several places, the author chose to use words in all caps for emphasis. I would be reading along, when all of the sudden, there would be a BIG BOOM. This was just distracting to the reading process.

Otherwise, the writing was outstanding. The descriptions, though verbose at times, were vivid. The dialogue was realistic with good voice. The sentence structuring was complex, yet easy to read.

Editing/Formatting: 5 Stars

Both were of professional quality.

Rating: PG-13 for Violence and Drug Use

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, loved it, loved it!, October 9, 2009
KayeKaye (Southern USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toe Popper (Kindle Edition)
I must admit I was a little hesitant to download another Kindle book by an unknown author, and one that dealt with land mines, at that! Joel Lang is a very interesting character, and I believe Mr. Tangerine has the makings of a series with Joel as the main character----it would be nice to see a future book really delve into Joel's relationship with Catherine, and explore his drug addiction. (Sounds like he just might be working on a NEW addiction at the end of this book!) This is a complex, well written book, and I truly look forward to reading more from the pen of Jonny Tangerine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book by it's cover, April 18, 2010
This review is from: Toe Popper (Kindle Edition)
After seeing the picture on the cover of the book I moved on, but came back later to read the reviews. I'm glad I "didn't judge a book by it's cover"! My interest was held throughout the whole book. For some reason the cover picture just turns me off, I'm not really sure what picture would be better, but it just doesn't work for me. All in all though, a really good book! I hope to see more from Jonny Tangerine!

5.0 out of 5 stars A keeper, July 11, 2010
This review is from: Toe Popper (Kindle Edition)
Not only did I like it, I read it without skipping around (I usually get bored) AND I didn't delete it from my Kindle when I was done with it. High praise, if you know me! Gems likethis are why I keep going through the cheap Kindle download lists - once in a while you get a really good book. This is one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good .., March 26, 2010
Ripkitty (Glamorous Estero, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toe Popper (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded the sample (of course) on my Kindle, and had no idea what to expect from an author named "Jonny Tangerine". It hooked me from the very first Kindle page, and I bought it immediately. It is certainly worth 99 cents, and held my interest as well as if it had cost, say, $1.79.

It is a very good, well written book and I advise you buy it. Of course, check out the free sample first. This is the type story and author I want to see more of in the Kindle Bookstore - action, a little mystery, and some suspense. I'm waiting for the next book in this series, or anything else written by "Jonny Tangerine". Can I see some ID on that name, buddy?

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick Read, July 7, 2010
This review is from: Toe Popper (Kindle Edition)
I was pleasantly surprised by an unknown author. An enjoyable read and a quick one. The price was right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, June 26, 2010
This review is from: Toe Popper (Kindle Edition)
Excellent, very well written. Keeps the interest level up all the way. Good sense of humor. And, educational on land mines. It is obvious that this book has or will have a follow-on. This book is really quite entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK!, June 5, 2010
This review is from: Toe Popper (Kindle Edition)
This book kept me glued to it till the end. One of the best
I have read in a while.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly captured!, February 2, 2010
This review is from: Toe Popper (Kindle Edition)
I was surprised that I became embroiled with the authors plot quite soon. The premise of a series of mines planted for maximum effect was engaging and the entrance of an Army Major expert in mine detection and elimination was the part which kept me waiting for the next reveal. Major Lane's weakness and the surprising connection with Catherine added to my continued lust for more.

Seems to me the various departures from the main thrust with journeys to various other individuals tales will probably be revealed in the next book(s).

The ending left me waiting for Tangerine's next book. I did a cursery search but found nothing easily available about Jonny Tangerine which I expect is a pseudonym.

However I do await the next book Jonny!

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 STARS for Toe Popper !! This mystery/thriller had me gasping at times !!, October 30, 2011
This review is from: Toe Popper (Kindle Edition)
When I first came across Jonny Tangerine's Toe Popper I hesitated reading it because of the cover. I just kept visualizing this lady on the cover getting blown up. I think if the cover had just shown the water and sand etc. with no people on the cover I may have felt different and bought it. JMO. My family and friends and I had a discussion on covers and if any of us had not bought a book because of the cover and some of us said " A picture is worth a thousand words" and it is the first thing we see when seeing a book is it's cover and it gives an impression of what the book is about. I've come across 3 Kindle story covers that I hadn't bought until I asked my family and friends if any of them have read the story's.

I read this story week's ago and am just getting time to write the review. This mystery was gifted to me by a friend who thought I would like it and I am glad that he did because I thoroughly got hooked with the many twists and turns and holding my breath at certain times in this mystery.

Characters FBI agent Catherine (I was thrilled to see a strong female FBI lead character) and to know the background and turmoil that Major Joel Lane was going through. These two characters were striving to find out who the culprit was and to put a stop to this madness.

I am looking forward to reading more from Jonny Tangerine and I hope there will be a book #2 to this novel.

I recommend Toe Popper to mystery/thriller readers.

Toe Popper