5.0 out of 5 stars A Hero in Our Midst, February 11, 2013
This review is from: Toilet Paper People (Paperback)
For many reasons, I know this book and I were destined to find one another. Though I did not, nor could not, have imagined the impact it would have on my life.
Cherry and I have a similar past, though my story is not nearly as gruesome a tale to tell. I'll admit, I was truly frightened to open the pages of this book because I wasn't sure exactly where it would take me. I have built a crazy life for myself burying many feelings that stem from childhood abuse and have avoided stories like Cherry's for fear of falling down the rabbit hole of despair further.
The Toilet Paper People was not at all what I expected...and what I found in myself while reading it, even more startling and amazing. I truly had no idea what a wonderful journey it would be, and continues to be.
Yes, there were moments of anger and anxiety. How could anyone suffer so much, repeatedly, at the hands of a lunatic and go on each day? How did this abuse continue for so long without someone on the outside noticing? Where was the hero (in or outside of the system) that should've come along to rescue this child? I became frightened for this little girl, worried over what would happen to her next, uncertain if I could hang on until the end. As I continued to turn the pages my hatred and loathing of "that woman" began to turn into fuming rage. You become "that woman's" captive as well, go deep into the mind of a severely mentally ill human being who's deeds are absolutely unforgivable.
Ultimately I found myself staring into a mirror of the past, revisiting some of the same acts of terrorism I too endured as a child.
Only this time...I didn't have to do it alone.
The first time Cherry invites you into her world to play with the Toilet Paper People you understand that in the midst of such horrors it is always possible to find hope, love, and friendship. I found myself smiling back at the pages imagining this sweet little family, what they must've looked like, or sounded like, and reveled in the bond she created that was so pure, and so needed.
The Toilet Paper People helped me tap into a self I had long forgotten, a strength within me that I had somehow lost and have now found again. When I finished this book, I had cried, laughed out loud, and cheered wildly for the hero that is Cherry Tigris.
I am so grateful for this book, for Cherry's brutal realism in the telling of her story, and for the voice it gives to those of us who have tried so hard to bury the past, only to relive it's echoes painfully each and every day.
I learned that there is hero in all of us that have survived such cruelty without saviors, and that we are all capable of tapping into that hero to ride the storm to victory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Through Christy's pain comes victory, April 10, 2011
This review is from: Toilet Paper People (Paperback)
"Part of this process has taught me to find beauty in my own faults
and to find the true strength it takes to forgive myself and others along the way.
I believe this to be the only path to true peace.
Here's to the journey! - Christy Knight

Through Christy's pain comes victory over those that abuse. Her book is a very candid snapshot of how brutal some people can be and how their control of others seems to fill a void in their own sick, pathetic lives. Of course as we know it only seems to fill the void.

As I read the book, it took me back to my own struggles with being abused and then finally my acceptance that I was an innocent victim. The courage that Christy has displayed in coming forward with her story will undoubtedly help many others confront the demons that hold the keys to their own private prison. She shows that if she can overcome this then so can you and I.

Bravo to your journey Christy and thank you for telling your story!

5.0 out of 5 stars I missed her...after the last turn of the page., March 5, 2011
This review is from: Toilet Paper People (Paperback)
I received my "Toilet Paper People" book a few days ago and couldn't put it down, as I became entranced in Christy Knight's sharings. Though her horrors are haunting, her spirit shines through most charmingly with the very "toilet paper people" that inspired her book title. I love them...her "toilet paper people" and find comfort in knowing they were there. A special telling of childhood stories that beg to be told as much as they plead to be silenced. And it is in their rawness, that my own survivor's space was irrevocably touched. This is more than just words on paper and "five stars" is hardly enough to rate what is unratable. And "I missed her" when the last page was turned.

5.0 out of 5 stars toilet paper people, March 10, 2013
This review is from: Toilet Paper People (Paperback)
"Toilet paper people" is a must read for anyone who has suffered from child abuse. I am one, of many. The author, in confronting her own demons, & having the courage, to reclaim her own divinity, will undoubtedly give much needed Hope to many. And help them to reclaim their own divinity, as well. It certainly did for me. Buy this book. And by all means read it. It will be a precious gift to treasure. My sincere gratitude to the author. For having the guts to address, what many aren't willing to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unafraid to Bare All, January 13, 2013
This review is from: Toilet Paper People (Paperback)
It's rare that one reads a book that allows you to see into someone's soul, yet Cherry Tigris does does just this. Although, I cannot relate to the traumatic childhood she had, I was enthralled with the umabashed openness that was shown throughout this book. If anything, I'd imagine that there are many that are suffering and could benefit greatly from Cherry's story and eventual triumph in life.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Should Read Toilet Paper People, December 8, 2012
This review is from: Toilet Paper People (Paperback)
Even if you aren't a reader I would urge you to purchase and read Toilet Paper People because it will awaken awareness in you about the more undercover forms of bullying going on in the world.

Toilet Paper People could save a life if placed in the hands of someone who just might be going through something similar. It offers a glimpse into the life of someone who went through it all and managed to hulk up and burst out of the situation.

Many of us should never be parents but we don't know until some poor little person is raised in our hell and then forced to conform to a world with no patience for people that don't fit in.

5.0 out of 5 stars She's a survivor., January 15, 2012
This review is from: Toilet Paper People (Paperback)
"TOILET PAPER PEOPLE is a punch to the stomach at times, a blanket over the heart at others. Cherry Tigris found a means to survive horrors most of us can't even imagine, and in sharing such, she gives illumination and hope rather than despair and blame. Deceptively sparse, it's more akin to narrative poetry and so cuts a little quicker, a little deeper, with a pinpoint accuracy to that will to overcome that exists in us all, but that shines only in some." Dave O'Leary, author of HORSE BITE

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope and inspiration, December 30, 2011
This review is from: Toilet Paper People (Paperback)
When i read Christy's book it touched those places in me where the affects of my own childhood abuse reside. Her amazing way of sharing her experience helped me to remember that i survived ,and that through those life changing experiences i gained like Christy , a strength that has seen me thru it all! although it was a painful journey Christy reminds me with her beautifully told story that it was all worth it in the end. 'Cuz look at her now!!
Toilet Paper People

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Is Far From Disposable, September 16, 2011
This review is from: Toilet Paper People (Paperback)
Toilet Paper People is a moving autobiographical account of Christy Knight's horrific early life and the incredible strength that she has derived from it. Through sharp insight, Christy reminds us of the wonder of life itself with her vivid, yet beautifully simplistic perspective.
As a survivor of childhood abuse myself, I was deeply touched by this uncompromisingly honest work, but I highly recommend it to anyone. I thoroughly enjoyed Christy's uncompromising writing style; although it reads effortlessly, her matter-of-fact observations and plainly descriptive storytelling made me feel as though I were there with her as these events took place.
Christy's determination to embrace life for all its shades of the beautiful and the ugly in it is truly inspiring, and doing so in the face of such devastating beginnings is the mark of a true success story. She reminds us that life is an amazing journey, and that we must hold each other accountable for our actions (and, at times, inaction). Christy and her Toilet Paper People offer a moving and valuable lesson, and this book is unquestionably worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A reality that must be heard, March 28, 2011
Holly Gray (Redmond, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toilet Paper People (Paperback)
A story of abuse that is told by a victim transformed by her own misery- if you have enjoyed Jeannette Walls memoirs and her ability to transform sad memories into a certain magic then get Christy Knights new book. Her stories will fill you with anger and rage- feelings that could only be a tiny spec of what she must have spent years processing and living.
The true charm reading the book comes in knowing that despite such tragedy a talented ambitious woman was created, who is full of life and all it's potential. Her story will never be forgotten- it is an inspiration to me and my deepest hope for her is that her intention with the book will be realized. That she can be a voice to others that are facing or who have faced such horrific abuse and that somehow her stories will ignite in them the spirit that has carried her out of from her past and into a self reliant, independent and thriving woman.

Toilet Paper People
Toilet Paper People by Cherry Tigris (Paperback - January 3, 2011)
$12.99 $11.62