5.0 out of 5 stars Compact , Quality, Well Priced Lens
Published on April 4, 2007 by Manny

2.0 out of 5 stars Eh, don't expect too much.
I had this lens for about two weeks and tried very hard to like it but just didn't. I have the Tokina 11-16, which I really like, so I decided to give this a try. Admittedly, cost was a big factor since the Canon 100-400 was a long way off in terms of finances.

Published on January 29, 2010 by somedude74

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact , Quality, Well Priced Lens, April 4, 2007
Manny (Fullerton, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tokina 80-400/4.5-5.6 AT-X D Telephoto Zoom SLR Ca (Accessory)
I bought this lens after trying a tameron 100-500 and returning it to the store I bought it at. I exchanged the Tameron for the Tokina 80-400mm f4.5-5.6 AT-X 840D, a hoodman loupe, a 72mm uv filter, and a tamerac adventure9 camera bag. That was the difference in price. I am happy to say am very happy with this lens. Its build quality is rock solid, and the size is very convenient to carry around. I have been testing it for a few days and am very happy with the pictures I have been getting. The auto focus in good light is very good in very low light it tends to hunt a bit, but that's alright with me I didn't buy it for low light photography. At 400mm and no image stabilizing function you definitely need to use a tripod mono-pod or a been bag to keep it steady. I would recommend this lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars One compact beauty with strong IQ., November 20, 2009
Paul Johnson "pfjbaldwin" (Baldwin, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I've owned this lens for about 6 months now and continue to be amazed at the image quality from this super compact beauty. In fact I owned the Canon 100-400L at the same time so have a great basis of comparison. AF speed is the same for both. The IS on the Canon was nice, but at this focal length I generally use my monopod or other support aid and the IS didn't produce better images at 400mm. I have counted hairs on my Golden Retreiver's tail and thread stitches in an American flag with great color saturation handheld at 400mm with this lens. I shoot my kids outdoor sports and have since sold the Canon as the images from this lens are at least equal and the lens is much more compact and travels so nicely. I have a lot of L glass and this is my only Tokina. Build quality is superb.

2.0 out of 5 stars Eh, don't expect too much., January 29, 2010

The big issue for me was softness and CA's. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get very sharp photos. I have a Canon 70-200 f/4L non-is, and I could consistently get better cropped photos at 200mm that were better than any from the Tokina. I did a lot of testing at different apertures and just could not find a real sweet spot. Even at f/4, the Canon 70-200 was better than the Tokina at f/8 and at any focal length.

One other issue I found with the lens was that it is a front focusing lens. This would cause the image to loose more sharpness because the end of the lens would droop causing part of the image to go out of focus.

It is very possible that I got a bad copy. My biggest gripes:

-Front focusing;
-CA's and purple fringing pretty bad, if you are shooting water fowl, look elsewhere;
-Heavy for size;
-Images not very sharp
-I don't recall the term, but if you are shooting towards the sun, the flaring is HORRIBLE!

Tokina makes a solid feeling lens and the lens is very compact and could make a good travel telephoto.

My suggestion is to look at other telephotos.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens and service, December 29, 2013
I choose one star less than a perfect 5 because there was no manual included with the lens. Not being familiar with this type of lens and its capabilities would have made one very useful. Pictures taken using it have been crisp and clear and we really love its ability to bring in long distance objects for close up inspection. Delivery was on time and the lens arrived in very good and expected condition. An operator manual was obtained on line and we couldn't be more happy with the purchase and service provided.

5.0 out of 5 stars 80mm-400m Tokina zoom f/4.5-5.6, February 10, 2010
I am a devoted Tokina customer! I have had negative experiences with Tameron and stay away from them. I am a sports photographer and having a lens that is well built and has quick performance is utmost for my profession. Tokina are excellent lens and most of the lens I own are Tokina. I only wish they would make this lens with an f/2.8 aperture! I am well pleased with the pictures as long as I don't have to shoot in low light. I bought this lens for an Alaska trip and have low light lens that I can use if I have to shoot in those conditions. For the most part, this lens should do an outstanding job in the conditions I will be photographing. You definitely need to use a monopod or tripod for the long distance shooting for best results. I would recommend this lens for anyone that isn't shooting in low light conditions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, January 16, 2013
Richard Chapman (Desert Hot Springs, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This lens had a good write-up but I have been very disappointed with it. It produces blurred pictures, it's movement feels "gritty" and negative and it does not focus well. I guess you get what you pay for in the end of the day!

Tokina 80-400/4.5-5.6 AT-X D Telephoto Zoom SLR Ca