Customer Discussions > A Wanted Man (Jack Reacher) forum

Tom Cruise? Really?!?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 6, 2012 5:51:57 AM PDT
wrecks says:
What's the number one thing any fan would say to describe Reacher? BIG! In the novels, he is described as 6' 5" and between 210 and 250 pounds [Wikipedia].

Tome Cruise is 5' 7", weighs about 170 pounds [Google].

Who's the genius that did the casting?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 10:41:04 AM PDT
I was surprised to see Tom Cruise as well. He is no Jack Reacher. Obviously the producers are using Cruise's name to begin a series of Reacher movies. Many folks don't know the novel but moviegoers know the Cruise name.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 10:57:51 AM PDT
Hugh Jackman is more like it....

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 4:26:29 AM PDT
Eric DiPier says:
The genius that did the casting is Tom Cruise. The "producers" are...Tom Cruise and his production company.

Supposedly he fell in love with the character and decided that he had to be the guy. And Lee Child went along with it.

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 8:41:45 AM PDT
Cruise--really??
I'll go with Jackman but never Cruise.
I'll just stay in the printed word so not
to ruin by image of Reacher!!

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 7:53:38 PM PDT
mooter says:
Tom Cruise? Was Mickey Rooney not available?

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 10:15:34 AM PDT
I find the Tom Cruise casting so discordant that I believe I am done with Reacher. These reviews confirm my reaction.

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 11:07:55 AM PDT
mooter says:
If there was a movie fantasy league I would have the Coen brothers make a Reacher movie-the script, casting and cinematography would then be more in line with the mood I sense while reading the novels. Maybe if they were working with Cruise they could extract a worthy performance and craft a movie that would become a classic and give him a credibility boost. Instead it will be another idiotic attempt at a box office blockbuster and I still don't understand who pays to watch them?

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 4:53:35 PM PDT
H. R. Hertel says:
If he were younger, and less Irish, I would've pictured Liam Neeson as having the right physicality.

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 7:54:36 PM PDT
Eric DiPier says:
Robert C. Kelly, I'm not sure these are "reviews". Kind of hard to have "reviews" of a film that hasn't been released yet.

It is silly to cast Tom Cruise as a 6'5" 220 pound man. But the person who made that decision is Tom Cruise. The person who green-lighted the movie is Tom Cruise. It's not like there is some sort of vast conspiracy.

Hugh Jackman would have been perfect in my opinion.

I'll still see the movie...I am going to try to pretend I don't know anything about the character and just see it as a standalone movie. We shall see.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 5:30:29 PM PDT
Charles Pope says:
I really like Reacher and I like Cruise, but Cruise playing Reacher is just plain dumb. Trying to think who could do this justice and you said Neeson. You are right, I think Liam could do a great job. If Cruise does this I will go back to Clive Cussler. CLP

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 5:19:10 PM PDT
C. Wagner says:
Can't you see Jim Caviezel (Person of interest) as Reacher? It will be interesting to see how Tom Cruise pulls it off. Of course there are fewer readers, I imagine, of this genre than movie goers.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 9:34:56 AM PDT
I agree. I have long-awaited this movie. Sorta like a new type James Bond series. Now with the small-man Cruise playing the part, it's laughable. I guess they will use those close-up fast shots to make it look like real action. Bah!

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 6:18:00 PM PDT
PTD says:
Definitely Hugh Jackman.

author of Triage: A Thriller (Shell Series)
Free on Amazon

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 5:32:31 PM PDT
Sabrina says:
I agree. I will not see the movie. Lee Child was obviously offered a lot of money for the rights to the book. He said when he learned that Tom Cruise was being given the part that he was not going to say no to the biggest movie star in the world playing Jack Reacher. Lee, I am disappointed in you. There is no way anyone who has read the books is going to picture Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. Also, Tom Cruise is not the biggest movie star in the world anymore. His last pictures have bombed. There are many other stars in Hollywood who would fit the part better and more believable.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 5:34:09 PM PDT
Sabrina says:
He went along with it for the money! I would have thought Lee Child would have more integrity!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 5:35:39 PM PDT
Sabrina says:
I will not go see the movie and I think all Jack Reacher fans should boycott it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 5:37:06 PM PDT
Sabrina says:
I agree. Jim would have been great!

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 7:23:41 PM PDT
Exactly how I pictured Jack Reacher after all these years.....a half-crazed midget Scientologist.... That smell is my vomit.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 7:24:45 PM PDT
Exactly how I pictured Jack Reacher after all these years.....a half-crazed midget Scientologist.... That smell is my vomit.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 7:17:30 AM PDT
Thank you for cracking me up this morning - this completely and perfectly sums up the situation.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 9:52:31 AM PDT
reno says:
I think Joe Manganiello who stars in True Blood as a werewolf and is 6' 5", 230 would have been a great choice. Unfortunately Tom Cruise and his big pockets and ego rule the day.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 5:49:29 PM PDT
Liam Neeson is exactly how I picture Jack Reacher.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 5:52:51 PM PDT
mh says:
It's Hollywood folks. I honestly do not believe Lee Child had any say in who plays Jack in the movie. That would give him way too much power and trust me, Hollywood does not give up it's power. Think Grisham, Nicholas Sparks and others. They had no say which actor played in their movies (but there is Tom Cruise again in The Firm). I too will not see this movie. I will not pay to watch Tom Cruise destroy the character (fictional or not) of a man who is way better than he is.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 10:05:04 AM PDT
You know what? All the kids will see the Cruise movie version and will HAVE NO IDEA of the true character Lee Child created. Maybe, if any of them can read, they will be led to the novels and learn to enjoy the real Reacher character. Let's hope so. I think I will save the money the movie would have cost and buy another book.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  43
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Aug 6, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Wanted Man (Jack Reacher)
A Wanted Man (Jack Reacher) by Lee Child (Hardcover - September 11, 2012)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (3,442)