Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tom and Jerry's Greatest Chases
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: DVD|Change

on April 22, 2000
This is the very first DVD of Tom and Jerry cartoons. It has a total of 14 shorts, plus a clip from the movie ANCHOR'S AWAY featuring Jerry doing a dance with Gene Kelly. The 14 cartoons that they included are all excellent. A few Oscar winners are included. All 14 are from the early period when Tom and Jerry were directed by Hanna and Barbera. Most of these are cartoons that I have never seen before. There is quite a bit of violence in these cartoons, and that's good, because that's how cartoons are supposed to be! Several of the cartoons have blackface gags, so if you are offended by that kind of thing, then I am letting you know in advance. For example, there's a scene where Jerry's face is dipped in shoe polish, and afterwords he has a blackface.
Unfortunatley, one of the cartoons has been edited! This really ticks me off! In the original version of "The Little Orphan," a lit candle lands on Tom's tail. His whole body is burned and turns black. Then the black Tom gets pushed into a cabinet of dishes. But on this DVD, the entire part where Tom is black has been deleted. This really Ticks me off! It's bad enough that they edit the cartoons when they play them on TV, but to edit them on a DVD is beyond ridiculous. Actually, I knew that the DVD was edited even before I bought it, but I bought it anyway because I love these cartoons! But still I don't understand why they edited it. I own plenty of R-rated movies with content that some people might view as being "offensive," but none of those are edited. So I guess some people think that a cartoon is somehow more offensive than an R-rated movie.
Well, despite this one flaw, this is an excellent DVD. The other 13 cartoons are all complete and uncut. The picture and sound quality is absolutely amazing. There's this one cartoon where Jerry is on top of a skyscaper in New York City, and he's hanging over the edge and when they show the moving traffic down below I almost got dizzy looking at it. All those itty bitty cars show up so clear on my TV screen. They really did a good job with the picture and sound here. Also it's nice to be able to watch these cartoons without any of those stupid network TV logos on the screen.
0Comment|130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2000
I am a huge fan of classic (i.e., before 1970) cartoons. In the current absence of Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies DVDs, this Tom and Jerry DVD is my favorite currently existing animation DVD.
First, this DVD contains 13 complete and uncut classic Tom and Jerry cartoons. The selection of cartoons is very good. They have lots of action and are very well written. The quality of the picture is superb. They did a very good job of mastering these 13 cartoons. If you are a Tom and Jerry fan then you will be very pleased with these 13 cartoons.
Also included is a clip from the movie ANCHOR'S AWAY featuring Jerry dancing with Gene Kelly. I consider this to be a very nice bonus feature.
This DVD is *almost* perfect. However, there is one flaw. Specificallly, the cartoon "The Little Orphan" has been edited. In the original cartoon, after a candle lands on Tom's tail, Tom turns black. Then the little mouse throws a champagne bottle at the black Tom, and the black Tom is pushed into a cabinet of dishes. All of this part has been edited out of this cartoon on this DVD.
It's really terrible that they would remove part of the cartoon. I paid for the cartoon, and I deserve to get what I paid for.
11 comment|89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2005
If your smart,you should know that the episodes are not put in the order ,they are put in this order:
The Yankee Doodle Mouse(1943)
Solid Serenade(1945)
Tee For Two(1944)
Mouse In Manhattan(1945)
The Zoot Cat(1943)
Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Mouse(1947)
The Cat Concerto(1946)
Jerry's Diary(1949)
Jerry And The Lion(1949)
Mice Follies(1954)

My favorite episode on this DVD is "The Little Orphan"(1948),
because it takes place in thanksgiving and it has a thanksgiving turkey(liking lips),but best of all,it features the little toddler mouse,Nibbles!
The oscar winnersincluded are:
The Yankke Doodle Mouse(1943)
The Cat Concerto(1947)
The Little Orphan(1948)
Johann Mouse(1952)

The oscar winners that are not included are:
Mouse Trouble(1944)(which was included on Tom And Jerry's 50th Birthday Classics 3)
Quiet Please(1945)
The Two Mouseketeers(1951)(which was included on "Whiskers Away")

If you want a combilation of award winning shorts,buy this one.
on August 1, 2003
Tom and Jerry, a wonderful childhood memory and a wonderfully entertaining comedic duo, have been butchered for DVD release. "The Little Orphan" contains an edit which is so idiotic that I cannot recommend this DVD. I would not even buy this at a bargain price. I don't care if everything else is uncut, one edit is all it takes. It is sad that some of the greatest animated characters have to be butchered just to be politically correct. One scene is cut while modern cartoons, full of innuendos and violence, recieve no such censoring. Do not support censorship and avoid this DVD.
44 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2003
...this DVD presents them in an incorrect aspect ratio. The cartoons are unique in the fact that they have aspect ratios between 2.35:1 and 2.55:1 with some serious thought put into compositions. This DVD is just plain, old fashioned 1.33:1 (pan and scan) with half the picture hacked of the sides of each short. If Cartoon Network pay money to redub sound effects on present airings (some of which are in their OAR) then I would have assumed that Warner would also produced an anamorphic widescreen DVD with a 5.1 track.
Stick to the TV airings. At least they are sporadically in the correct aspect ratio.
on May 20, 2000
This DVD would have got 5+++ stars if "The Little Orphan" had not been butchered. I really do not see a reason for this. Other cartoons that are included here have even more "politically incorrect" and "violent" bits. So, why they did that to "The Little Orphan" and left the remaining 13 cartoons intact is beyond me. They could have simply released the 13 unedited cartoons and, believe me, everyone would have appreciated this DVD much more. This injustice to the H-B masterpiece infuriates me every time I watch these toons. Because of that unacceptable, unreasonable, ridiculous flaw this DVD gets only 3 stars from me.
on August 31, 2002
Just as the title suggests, this is Tom and Jerry as I remembered them when I was a kid.
When I saw that the Cat Concerto was on it, I just had to buy it as it was my all time favorite of Tom and Jerry.
All are as I remember them.. uncut.. except one cartoon where Tom gets burned, otherwise the video and audio quality are very very good.
A nice bonus in the DVD is Jerry dancing with Gene Kelly.
For cartoon collectors, this one is a must.
If you are into modern cartoons where they must be politically correct, non-violent, and have to teach you something, don't buy it.
on March 31, 2016
Here's the thing. You just can't find good ol' cartoons like this. I grew up with this and loved it as a kid. I introduced my three boys 9, 6, and 3 years old to this and they watch it in the car exclusively. They laugh and laugh every time even with reruns. My three year old calls it it the Cat & The Rat for whatever reason but it's funny. I love the music and it's fun to hear our kids reactions. Can't beat the price....literally. I've looked.
on March 11, 2014
Purchased this for my 5 years old grandson.He watches them over and over and states Tom and Jerry are his favorites. Of all the Looney Tune characters he rates Tom and Jerry as #1, then comes Road Runner & Wily Coyote and Woody Woodpecker and all the rest. But then he says, "I really like them all grandpa!" Amazing how these old cartoons are still entertaining the kids, and many of us older folks that enjoyed them many years ago.
on April 3, 2000
An excellent DVD for Tom and Jerry fans. Of the 14 shorts, only one was left butched. "The Little Orphan" was tampered with: the scene where Tom gets burned up when the candle lands in his tail towards the end. Other "offensive" shorts, like "Mouse In Manhattan," are left intact, including the scene when Jerry is in black-face after being dipped in shoe polish. The reproduction of the DVD is, as you would expect, sensational. Aside from "Little Orphan," a great DVD.