Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on September 27, 2001
This is a great collection of Tom Stoppard plays, and includes some of his best works.
Arcadia is one of Stoppard's greatest plays - a bizarre combination of physics, mathematics, poetry, a good old-fashioned academic stoush and romance (or lust) to boot. A fantastic play to see, but very good to read also.
The Real Thing, Hapgood and Indian Ink are also among Stoppard's more mature and better plays, and nicely round out this collection. These are some of Stoppard's better known plays (and you can read reviews of them on their own pages) but I'll just summarise by saying that I think they are fantastic.
Night and Day is an earlier Stoppard play and maybe not quite as good - it is concerned with journalism in war-torn Africa and does take a deep look at issues faced by a journalist in that situation. However, in comparison to the other plays in this volume, it just doesn't seem quite as good - however it is still a fine play in its own right and does make for interesting reading nonetheless.
Overall, I definitely reccomend this volume, particularly since it's cheaper than buying each of the plays individually.
on August 29, 2002
Every time I pick up this collection, I find myself sitting and reading for hours. Something about Stoppard's command of the language, his own personal calling card, is undeniably riveting.
And though there are times (especially in Day & Night) where it seems that characters are too clever for their own good, his sense of timing and his love for delivering a smart, believable group of people amazes me.
This collection is wonderful in its scope, including everything from the frequently produced "Hapgood" to the more recent treasure "Indian Ink." It's a must-have.
on December 20, 2000
After seeing Stoppard's "The Real Thing" in London, I was blown away. I purchased this collection to have "The Real Thing," and was blown away but all 5 of Stoppard's masterpieces. He writes convincingly of love, redemption and what it means to exist and to live. I cannot recommend this collection (or anything by Stoppard) enough.
on March 10, 2014
It is useful to have several of an eminent playwright's works available side by side in order to better compare them & identify what ideas & themes they have in common. It is instructive in the art of writing plays to be instructed by
Tom Stoppard's finished works.
on May 19, 2014
Stoppard is funny! Bought this for a kid in a High School Drama program to read Arcadia, and had forgotten just how funny Stoppard can be. Thick book. Decent binding and print size. If you need to buy any one of the great Stoppard scripts in this collection, get this one. It's five great plays for the price of one!
on February 18, 2013
Stoppard is a master playwright and this collection features some of his most impressive works. A highly recommended buy, I suggest reading "The Real Thing" and "Arcadia" at least twice.
on November 6, 2014
Tom Stoppard is a brillant playwrite. I was working on a production of The Real Inspector Hound and I really loved his work, so I thought why not try some of his other plays and I was blown away. Arcadia is an incredible piece of writing. You truy will enjoy this anthology
on March 12, 2016
A local university offers a variety of courses for 'senior citizens'. When I saw who was teaching Mr. Stoppard's plays, I signed up. Plays 5 was our text. We did two plays (Indian Ink, Night and Day) and were asked to 'go through' Arcadia. In an early class, Shakespeare in Love got a mention and I perked up my ears.
General comment: Stoppard has a sense of humor (subtle, good), but needs severe editing as several scenes could benefit from cutting.
on June 25, 2013
We love Tom Stoppard. Unfortunately, sometimes we don't catch the witty dialogue. With this book we can read the plays and understand dialogue. This is a much better solution than a hearing aid that introduces too much background noise and is not comfortable to wear. We also found several entertaining Stoppard plays we haven't seen. I don't know why I didn't get the Kindle version. The book is nearly 600 pages, so the Kindle would have been an even better choice for portability.
on September 1, 2004
Tom Stoppard is arguably one of the greatest playwrights of all time (and I do say arguably), and this collection only proves it. I am currently away at college while I write this review, and have pitifully forgotten my battered, dog-eared copy of this book at home, and so I'm pining away because it really is such a staple in my life - I cannot count the amount of times I've pulled out the book and read "The Real Thing", but I'm nearly sure it runs toward the hundred mark. All the plays are exceptional, although the aforementioned "The Real Thing" stands out, along with "Aracadia" and the wonderfully underrated "Indian Ink."