The manufacturer commented on the review below
4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Performer
I bought it 3 weeks back from Costco - have driven over 2500 miles since then during holidays from Chicago to Ny and St Louis. Hence feel I am in a decent position now to provide feedback.

Usability - Initially it was a challenge as I was using Garmin earlier - hence was not used to Tom Tom interface - now I sort of like it. Typically like Zip code search, also...
Published on July 14, 2012 by Vicky

1.0 out of 5 stars They have crippled the unit
I have been using Tom Tom devices for about 7 or 8 years now, this is my third Tom Tom device.

I have never liked the 3d view offered by GPS devices, I have always opted for using them in the 2d straight down, North up view. That is how I used my last two Tom Tom devices.

This new device strips several of the most useful features away from North up...
Published 22 months ago by David F.

‹ Previous | 1 2 356 | Next ›

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
5.0 out of 5 stars The VIA 1605TM is a Great GPS - No ads like the Garmin has, June 29, 2013
This review is from: TomTom VIA 1605TM 6-Inch GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic & Maps (Electronics)
The TomTom VIA 1605TM comes with an Easy Port Mount for windshield or dash mounting (I keep mine below the dash), Lifetime map and traffic updates, Roadside Assistance (one free call for help), Advance Lane Guidance, Car Charger with an integrated traffic receiver (one piece unit), USB cord and setup sheet. The GPS case is black, measures 6-1/4" x 4-1/4" x 1-3/8". The large 6" screen is easy to read, has a high resolution of WVGA 800 x 480 pixels which provides sharp images on the screen.

GPS features include:
(1) Advanced Lane Guidance so you know which lane to get into
(2) Automatic day to night dimming of screen
(3) Automatically rotates screen 180 degrees when GPS is turned upside down
(4) Clock settings: 6:00, 6:00 PM and 18:00. The GPS clock is kept synchronized with the satellite clocks so you do not have to set it manually. You can also set the GPS to automatically adjust the clock to the time zone that you're in.
(5) Detour rerouting feature finds alternate routes for traffic jams, missed turns
(6) Free Lifetime Traffic and Map Updates for the life of the unit
(7) GPS status shows how many satellites your GPS is receiving signals from. Mine varies from 6 to 8 satellites.
(8) Help Me feature to find emergency services such as fire stations, hospitals and police
(9) IQ Routes: automatic rerouting, finds alternate routes automatically
(10) Keyboard selections include several languages, ABCD, QWERTY, AZERTY and QWERTZ keyboards
(11) Latitudes and Longitudes - By pressing on the "Settings" icon, then the "Units" icon, you can select how you want the latitudes and longitudes to be displayed - in degrees, in minutes or in seconds.
(12) Left or right handed operation
(13) Map Share: make or receive other drivers map corrections
(14) Maps of Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, 48 U.S. states plus Alaska, Hawaii
(15) Micro SD card slot to add up to 32 GB of memory
(16) Plan route: You can plan your route ahead of time before departing.
(17) Points of Interest: over 7 million gas stations, hospitals, parks, restaurants and etc.
(18) Points of Interest: save your favorite attractions, destinations, parks, restaurants, etc.
(19) Speed alert settings to warn you if you're over the speed limit
(20) Speed Camera settings to warn you about them, one free download
(21) Spoken Street Names: gives turn-by-turn directions of street names and places
(22) View maps: in 2D or 3D
(23) Zip code or city name search
(24) One year warranty on new units

Note - The GPS does not have blue tooth or mp3 player features

Tip: Download the Google Chrome browser (it's free) before attempting to download TomTom's "getstarted" setup file and five map updates. I tried AOL and Internet Explorer browsers and keep receiving: Webpage error HTTP 400 Bad Request. After downloading the Google Chrome browser type in the web address: tomtom.com/getstarted. The first download to your computer takes about 27 minutes. The second to your GPS about 45 minutes (2.9GB). The two downloads did not erase my favorites or other settings.

UPDATE: Using AOL 9.6, Internet Explorer 9.0.17, I was unable to download the TomTom getstarted.exe file that has to be installed on your computer to update your maps and other files for the VIA 1605. To solve the problem I download the Google Chrome browser at [...] After downloading the Chrome_installer.exe file go to the directory on your computer where the file was downloaded to, click on the installer.exe file to install the 0.71 MB Google Chrome browser on your computer.

After the Chrome file was installed I used AOL, typed in the web address [...] clicked on the web address that I typed in and it opened the Google Chrome browser. Using Google's Chrome browser's web address box type in [...] - or click on the TomTom getstarted link if it appears on the page to download the file to your computer.

If the getstarted file is corrupt (doesn't work), go to your computer's control panel's Programs and Features listings on windows computers (I have Vista) and delete the TomTom 3.2.0.116 (17.5MB) file and re-download the file using Google's Chrome browser.

If both files download properly (TomTom's & Google's), go to TomTom's website to log-in. Turn on your GPS. Then click on the green icon on the top right corner of TomTom's webpage. A box will open so you can login. After logging in click on the Manage Control link. Give it several seconds and it should show you are connected. If you have updates to download they will appear on the webpage. Scroll down the webpage and click on the download icon. After the downloads are completed, logoff where you logged in.

When you have updates to download, the icon on your computers task bar changes from red to grey and a popup box might appear to alert you. For some reason clicking on the number of files to download link from the taskbar popup screen doesn't work, so do what I suggested above, login on TomTom's website. It's been working for me. Don't know about Mac's.

1- The Navitech 584 hard cover carrying case is large enough to hold the VIA 1605TM GPS, traffic receiver and the USB cord. A snug fit, but holds everything. It's a durable case, but not a hard-hard case. Only took eight days to arrive from the UK

2- Most air vent and cup mount holders for the 1605TM GPS do not hold the GPS securely because the GPS's window/dash mount arm prevents them from doing so. They fall out if they aren't secured with string or rubber bands which cover part of the screen. The only way they will fit snuggly is by removing the GPS's arm by twisting it off. The GPS is heavy, weighs 10-ounces without the power cord. Also the clips that clip into car air vents are flimsy, break easy, may not be long enough to clip in securely.

3- Sun shade glare visor shields for the 6" TomTom are nice but pop off when you hit bumps in the road. The visor should have been manufactured with clips on the side instead of just four on top that loosely clamps onto the VIA 1605TM GPS

4- Roadside assistance costs $79.95 a year for $100 coverage. Not worth it.

5- Speed camera coverage is not available in all of the 48 states, in Canada or in Mexico

6- VIA 1605TM GPS's come in sealed green colored boxes with the words Lifetime Traffic, Lifetime Maps and Roadside Assistance printed on the box. GPS's with maps only are marked VIA 1605M, come in green and white colored boxes. I won two bids on another website for lower prices and had to return both of them because they were unsealed, both had maps only, so pay the extra money to Amazon and avoid the hassles.

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 8:29:44 AM PDT
Hello Frank B,

Thank you for the highly detailed review. At TomTom, these reviews provide incredibly useful feedback to our internal teams, and to other Amazon.com consumers seeking information on navigation.

As we launch new product lines, we look to engage users of our devices in a more direct conversation to help drive future product innovation and improvements. Based on your comprehensive review, we'd like to invite you to participate in this initiative. If you're interested in learning more, please email us at inbox.reviews@tomtom.com - so we can share more details. We look forward to your response!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like me... big and simple!, June 13, 2012
Like it a lot... needed to replace my Garmin Nüvi which was driving us cuckoo...

This TomTom is large and alternates between 3D and 2D... map and other updates via computer were easy.

Comes with the mount, charger and USB cables... an activation code gets you access to the lifetime maps from the mfg's website.

2.0 out of 5 stars sluggish!!!!!!!!, June 22, 2012
The TomTom VIA 1605TM has a gorgeous screen and a great interface.
I always preferred TomTom over Garmin. I owned the Tomtom ONE and the GO 730, both excellent units with much better software than the Garmins...
However the VIA, well, at least the 1605 is SOOOOOO sluggish, when you need to type an address it can take you almost a minute, switching between screens is slow.
screen refresh is slow, POI is slow, switching between day and night (should be automatic) does not always work :-/
All in all, they cut costs with a crummy CPU/GPU, returning to Costco ASAP.

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 2:41:41 AM PDT
Hi E. Sharon, if you still have the VIA 1605 with you there is an easy way to speed it up. You just need to do a full system reboot, and you won't even need a computer to do it! All you need to do is go to settings and select reset to factory settings. When it asks you to pick a language, do not touch the screen, but hold down the power button for about 30 sec. The device should work properly now.
If you still have any issues with your device, please contact us at http://bit.ly/Jn4Fjv and we will be happy to help you out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent GPS!, November 24, 2012
Having tried several in-car GPS (Audi & Mercedes), rented Garmins and owned a Navigon I can say without doubt that TomTom's VIA 1605TM with the 6" screen is the best GPS system I have had the pleasure of using.
I read elsewhere that it was slow, but in my experience it is as fast as the competition and the software is better. It gives fewer bad routes and is more coherent than the rest. The 6" screen is a real boon when you have to fix it to a distant windscreen. All in all very satisfied for the price, and free map updates into the bargain.

3.0 out of 5 stars think twice before buying, June 22, 2012
I bought this item to replace my old tomtom 340 XL. The item is exactly as described however, I was disappointed. It has the same traffic capabilities and map updates as my old one. Same menu type, nothing really new except voice recognition. The screen is huge as described. But that's about the only thing new. Definitely overpriced.

If you absolutley want the big screen, then this is the GPS for you, otherwise save your money and get a less expensive tomtom. It should be the same only with a smaller screen. I know my old one was.

I can't really rate the mounting device because suction cup devices do not work where I live. The heat kills the seal and the GPS falls off the windshield.

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 2:40:53 AM PDT
Hi Michelle, while the traffic updates works the same as your old device, that is where the similarities end! Your new VIA 1605TM has a much larger screen to show more map information, much better screen resolution, much more internal memory, and a slot to take a micro SD card up to 32 GB to expand the memory!
I am pleased that the menu looked the same to you. That is part of the TomTom DNA and we always look to keep things familiar as that is what our customers are accustomed to.
To mount your VIA in a hot climate, I recommend looking at a dashboard mount or an air vent mount that will hold the device. This should take care of the sun issue and keep it in place.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT, October 18, 2012
I also have a 1535TM. Which I also like alot. The 1605 6" screen is a big improvement and the touch screen is MUCH more accurate when scrolling around a map with your finger. I do miss the voice commands from the 1535, but I have found that with the bigger screen *bigger keyboard", and it being much easier to navigate to a point on a map that I touch with my finger, that I do not miss it as much as I thought I would initially. I did like the black and white night view of the 1535 alot, and the 1605 does not do that, the 1605 simply dims the color display. The processing is only slightly slower on the 1605, you really don't notice it; I think this is b/c more of the processor is going to manage the video on the larger screen (but this is just a theory). The big thing is that I can see so much more information on the bigger screen, such as more street names and I can see a wider area in detail as I drive. All in all, I would trade my 1535 for a 1605 ANY day of the week. I really like it. Great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I moved away from Garmin, June 9, 2012
I have been a Garmin user since 2004. I bought Garmin 1490LMT six months back which died last week. Garmin quality has gone down in recent years.
I bought my first TomTom 1605TM last week. It is a nice device with bigger screen.
Navigation and traffic is pretty accurate.
I prefer TomTom user interface over Garmin.

Garmin is overpriced piece of junk which is "Made in China".

4.0 out of 5 stars Large screen, clear instruction, fast operation speeds., July 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The TomTom Via is a great navigation system, with fast operation, bright and colorful maps, and easy to follow instructions.

The TomTom is constructed completely of plastic but is nicely made, with high quality materials and good assembly. There is only one button, the power button, which is on the back of the TomTom. Also on the back is the micro USB port that hooks up with the included car charger and computer USB cable. You can mount the TomTom on your windshield using the arm and suction cup on the back. I mounted it to my windshield and left it there for a week. It never fell off and was easy to remove without any sticking.

The computer software to update the maps is easy to install and use. I downloaded and installed it on a MacBook Air running OS X 10.8. The software prompted me to update the maps and the whole process took about two hours over my FiOS internet connection. Be aware that you have to create a free account with TomTom to get access to the map updates.

Using the TomTom is simple. The large 6-inch screen is a pleasure. It has a high resolution so everything looks crisp, and brightness was never an issue. The menu system has large buttons to guide you through everything. Inputting addresses and locating points of interest is easy. Once you've picked your destination you can pick a route using a number of methods (fastest, eco, shortest, avoid highways, walking, bicycle, or limited speed). One of the TomTom's best features is its fast operating speed. Having been frustrated by cheaper navigation systems where it took forever to input destinations and calculate routes, the TomTom is a revelation and responds instantly to all commands. The only time it keeps you waiting a bit is when searching for points of interest or calculating a long route, and even then you're only waiting 30 seconds of so.

Once underway the TomTom gives clear and simple verbal instruction and announces the street names as well. The speaker on the back gets very loud and can be set to increase in volume as vehicle speed increases. On the screen it displays lots of pertinent information. There is the direction and distance to your next turn in the center of the screen, and the name of the turn street on the top right. On the left hand corner is the speed limit and your speed, and on the right hand corner are the time you will arrive, and how much time/distance is left. You can tailor this as well if you'd like more or less information. When arriving at an intersection or ramp a large graphic will show you exactly which lane to be in. The accuracy of the maps and graphics is uncanny and it never made a mistake during the week I used it. If you miss a turn it takes about 5 - 10 seconds to recalculate. Lastly, if the TomTom finds a faster route it will ask you if you'd like to take it instead of the current route.

The TomTom model that I have also includes traffic information via the receiver that is embedded in the power cable. The traffic information shows up on the right hand side of the screen and the TomTom will alert you when there is a route around the traffic. I don't deal with much traffic where I live, but the one time it indicated that there was traffic, it was accurate.

The only two negatives I have for the TomTom are as follows: 1) Adjusting the volume is done via a sliding control on the screen and is very difficult to do when driving. Simple + and - buttons would have been preferred. 2) There is no way to set a security code for the TomTom. My Garmin and previous TomTom let me set a security code so that if the navigation system was ever lost or stolen my home address and address book could not be accessed.

All in all... a great, and speedy, navigation system.

08/05/2013 Update: I took the TomTom on its first long road trip and it performed well. One thing I noticed was that traffic is sent via FM radio and at times traffic would be unavailable because it couldn't get a station. Outside of that it reported traffic well. Also, I find that the screen does not dim enough at night for my liking.

1.0 out of 5 stars A big step backwards..., February 7, 2013
OK, the bad news is I bought a 1605TM on sale 3 months ago.

The good news is I found a pile of broken glass in my driver seat and this GPS gone forever (I assume) this morning.

Good Riddance!

GPS's are the 2nd greatest invention in the last half a century (after the internet). I had a couple of jobs picking up/dropping off parts a few decades ago, and really would have loved a GPS. I shudder to think of past horrible times reading gas station maps by dome lights on a dark and rainy Seattle afternoon.

I purchase a Tomtom about five years ago (920T), and loved it. I loved it so much I purchased a 2nd one for my daughter. I tried another one, but I liked the interface of Tomtom better, but that might be just because I am used to it.

So, when I discovered I was being transferred from Seattle To San Antonio, I used it as an excuse to purchase a new GPS, as I figured five years of electronics technology should have resulted in a far better and cooler product. And the features sounded great. I love the concept of getting real time traffic info, to dodge accidents, congestion.

The 1605TM was a big step backwards (in most ways) though.

BAD
-1) Tomtom, in its wisdom, only allows you to have one product per e-mail address. A stupid fillip, but I signed up for a new gmail address for the sole purpose of registering my 2nd Tomtom. This means when I replace my stolen 1605 (with a different Tomtom product) I'll have to create yet a new empty e-mail address. Just an extra stupid hoop to jump through.

-2) The screen is really slow to update. Meaning I touch a button, and sometimes have to wait five or ten seconds for something to happen. Press change destination, and think "gee, nothing is happening" and have press again, then suddenly both actions happen and I wind up at some random spot.

-3) Rather slow finding routes. Not a big deal. But it seems slower than my previous one.

-4) I was looking forward to the real time tracking. However it does not work at all well. There are two major North South routes near Seattle, I5, and 167/405. When driving from Puyallup to Redmond, the route said there would be a 3 minute delay, and the trip would take 43 minutes. It said that exact same thing for the entire 75 minutes it took to get there. If the main North/South route is so far off, how accurate can other routes be?

-5) Points of interest have a lot of holes. Out of about ten I've searched for, fully half were not in the system. The first time I tried to find a point of interest (a theater that opened five years ago) it was not in the system. Really, after five years? I can see a restaurant that opened 3 months ago not being on it. But it also lacked a medical building (I broke my foot a few months ago) built in 2005, and a Costco built in 2001. So I don't know what points of interest they do put in there, but literally about half of the I've tried to find were not in the map.

-6) I presume it has the typial horrible tomtom battery problems. If I turn off the car, the unit forgets my planned route, and I have to re-enter it.

EHHH
I can't really say this is a bad point. But... My five year old Tomtom (920) had voice recognition. i.e. I could say the address and it did a fairly good job of understanding me. A good feature if you are changing destinations on the fly. So, OK, I assumed this one would have the ability to "hear" address input. I was wrong. Not that they say it does, so really it was my mistake. But in an example of lazy or poor programming the software for this has a microphone voice input icon. It does not do anything, must be a holdover from versions that do take audible commands. So, yes, they do not say it takes voice command, but the fact that my five year old Tomtom 920 did, and this one omits the feature seems odd, especially since this one has an icon for it.

GOOD
+1) It is a big screen.

+2) It does a good job warning about that horrible bane of modern society, the traffic camera.

+3) It is as customizable as my old GPS. (i.e. you can put the options running on the side or bottom of the screen, allow for shortest, most economical, or fastest route, you can tell it to skip/allow/ask toll/carpool lanes, etc).

+4) Free lifetime maps are good, as long as it does not get stolen after a couple of months.

I'm probably going to get another Tomtom because I am accustomed to the interface, but not a 1605TM. My honest advice is to stay away.

Edit>> I've since gotten another Tomtom (different model, 2505) and the "real time tracking" (see point -4 above) works great (and is a feature I love). So I presume there was something defective about the 1605 I purchased. So maybe the downcheck should be for build or quality control rather than concept.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 7:29:35 AM PST
Hi Philip, I'm sorry for the overall experience with your VIA 1605. I would have liked to help you out with the slowness and the other points in your review, unfortunately that is no longer possible.
In the future, if you have any questions or complications, please do not hesitate to reach out to us through this link: http://bit.ly/Jn4Fjv or call us directly at 866 486 6866. We will be happy to assist you!

4.0 out of 5 stars OK for me, November 25, 2012
I bought this GPS on BF from Costco, and started to use it right after I left Costco. However, It did not fulfill its job during the first try. It could not recognize a county highway, which was started in use in July, 2011. Since this device is a newer model, and was rolled out in this year, it should be able to know a highway opened a year ago.

I checked the GPS info. It was made in October, 2012, and the map in it was the version released in April, 2012. Tomtom should have had the map version of its July release installed in this October made device. Anyway, I updated the map released in November and several fixed bugs. The download took almost 4 hours, and the installation took about 50 minutes.I drove on the same highway the next day. It was able to recognize the road, and worked correctly. So, I suggest you to download and install their latest map if it is available.

This device has a large screen. UI is very friendly. It catches satellite signal quickly. The touch screen is smooth and sensitive. No delays for inputting. Support App for map & software updates is intuitive. Also, I did not run any difficulties with the mounting system and the USB cable as other users mentioned.

However, there are a few things.

When driving on local, the GPS said "in 200 feet, turn left/right...", sometime, it was actually about 50 feet. If the speed limit on a street is 30, it is OK. But, for 50, it is a problem.

The other thing is that when the GPS said "You have reached your destination", if I continued to drive, it would keep silence and do nothing, instead of recalculating the route and guiding me back to the destination. The thing is that when I drive in an area I am not familiar with at night, if I miss a turn to the destination, and the next exit is far away. At this point, the GPS will not give me any help, because, for the GPS, its job is done, for me, it is definitely not.

The memory of the GPS is 4G. The software and the map take more than 3.6 G. There are only less than 400 Mega bytes left. The available memory size is just about 10%. Hope TomTom software development team won't run into the scenario of cutting feet to fit shoes in the future. I am not kidding. Because, a map update from April version to November version took 400 more mega bytes(from 2.4G to 2.8G). The Lifetime Map update could be a big joke, if next year, I will be told to buy a SD card to expand the memory size for a map update. IMO, when a new product which was just rolled out, the available memory size should be at least no less than 30%. Tomtom should give itself some room for future updates.

From the point of view as an electronic device, 5 star is for sure. Based on the usage in the past 2 weeks, However, its performance is so-so as a GPS. I do not think it is much better than the one I had 5 years ago, except its lifetime map updates. All the bells are about the improvement of technologies, hardware and software/firmware.

In a nutshell, it's a GPS with lifetime traffic & Maps, it has a 6 inch screen, it was rolled out in 2012.

‹ Previous | 1 2 356 | Next ›