5.0 out of 5 stars Nice GPS
As soon as I bought it we went from MD to NJ so had no time to connect it to a PC and update it, but out of the box it did everything it was supposed to and was fairly easy to use (this is my first GPS device that I have used).

Published on December 2, 2009 by B. Altman

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be worse...
The GPS works fine, gets me where I need to go most of the time. Two things that irritate me slightly are the following:

1. The map was not current, not even from six months ago when certain areas of construction had finished, and I'm afraid to update the map because of what users said about the upload being too large.
2. It seems very flimsy, fragile...
Published on July 9, 2009 by E. Cutter

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice GPS, December 2, 2009
B. Altman (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TomTom XL 340 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator (Electronics)

The instructions that came with it were nothing special and I have since discovered more detailed ones online. I liked that the GPS had the speed we were going and the speed limit of the road you are on in a box at the bottom of the screen which turns red when you are going around 4.5 miles over the limit. One time it stated the limit as 55 when it was really 65 on the NJ turnpike but this was before doing a map update and in any case you can correct it on the device itself and the next time you connect to tomtom online it uploads that information to the general community as you have the option of accepting other people's corrections (you can limit it to when many people submit the same correction instead of trusting a single person's report and by default it will only accept Tomtom's officially confirmed corrections). We also loved the lane assist feature - it comes up nice and clear which lanes you should be in. 2 miles before a turn it already announces what you will be doing and it re-announces it when you get closer and closer. Adjusting the sound level is a 2 touch operation. You press the bottom left part of the screen (can't remember what the image is now) and it brings you straight to the volume level which also has a box checked that allows it to increase the volume with the speed your vehicle is going at which is nice.

The only glitch we had with the unit was that during the first start up we were setting the different options and when it got to where you choose the voice, we began testing out each voice and then went back to the voice we wanted and when I hit the "test" button again I didn't hear anything but ignored that and selected the voice. After a while though it became apparent that we were not getting any voice despite the volume being on and up etc. I went in to the preferences and found the voice selection (the manual in the box was not detailed enough to tell how to do it but it was easy enough to find) and chose another voice which tested okay then reselected the one we wanted which also tested okay and selected it again and all was well.

When I got home I installed the Tomtom Home software from their website (it did not auto install after plugging it in to my PC which was good because it was better to use the latest version anyway - it can be updated after installing so don't worry about that). Whilst doing the maps update I did a little searching around and discovered that some people had a big problem doing the 1st update where there was not enough room on the device for it and it could potentially cause problems on the GPS. Thankfully, it seems to be a problem that was fixed and the map update went well. But in line with some advise online, I went into the device through windows explorer and did a copy and paste of the entire drive which represented the device pasted to my harddrive as a backup (the Tomtom home software can also do this for you, except mine was updating so I couldn't use it yet). My only surprise was that it took over 5 hours to download the update! After that it gave me a screen full of other updates including the software on the GPS itself. I initially deselected the install of the "Dave" voice update that it wanted to download and install, and all the rest went okay. After that though, I decided to update the "Dave" voice too and after downloading it gave me an error that the GPS was too full to install it. I went to the Tomtom site and found the answer to installing it. You load the Tomtom Home software and you can click on "Manage my Device" on page 2 (click the arrow to go to next page of options), from there you can click on on the device and see what is on it and click what you don't want so space is freed up and you can back the files up and then remove them all from there (I removed all the foreign language voices for around an extra 80MB of free space ). After that, installing the latest "Dave" voice went without a hitch. Since I don't use that voice I didn't really have to update it. Apparently the voices marked "computer" (generated) on the device will pronounce all the street names while the natural voices will not. It seems to have a lot of flexibility in being able to add your own list of POI's, voices and many other things. You can also get through the Tomtom Home software many other POI's and stuff other people have provided for free.

So far I am pleased with the purchase and would recommend it to others though probably not at the recommended retail price (at that price you can get a deal on the Garmin 765T - which has many nice features including free traffic reports - not sure how that compares to Tomtom's IQ routes though. We bought ours on Black Friday for a significant price reduction).

4.0 out of 5 stars Features are good, but mounting device needs work, July 9, 2009
ohmedic88 (Bluffton, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I had a TomTom XL that my 5 year got a hold of and left it on the driveway. Needless to say it doesn't charge well after a Honda Pilot runs over it.

This one is more slender and has improved graphics but runs mostly the same as the other model. My one beef with the model is the mounting bracket on the back which is a nice design conceptionaly, However It flew apart the first time I tried to take it off my windshield. A spring that I assume was mounted inside flew into my dashboard and I haven't been able to recover it. Of course I've tried to put it back together and I guess the spring had some supper power to hold it together cause I can't get it to go. I have a Schorche mount for my ipod so I'm not worried about it.

Overall the system works well. I have noticed my address is about 1/4 mile off but for the most part it can get me to the local Taco Bell a local Dentist (which I thought it would never find because its in a house) and weave me through some difficult construction on the route to Grandmas house. I get to use it to find the Zoo tomorrow so wish me luck.

I dinged it one star for my house number being in the wrong spot but lets face it knowing where your supposed to go and some common sense will fix this one. The other part specifically the mounting bracket being bad.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be worse..., July 9, 2009

2. It seems very flimsy, fragile almost. The pieces connecting the GPS to your windshield easily fall off, which is distracting when driving.

Other than that, it was a good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall good, October 15, 2009
Works well, good screen, easy to install/setup, lots of functions. Only complaints are (1) it uses "500 feet until turn" rather than tenths of a mile, (2) there is no audible notification (ding!) when you are at the intersection of a turn, and (3) the next road in the directions is not always shown right away. Those features were all present on the Magellan we had before.

4.0 out of 5 stars needs a sun shade, June 28, 2009
works really well. does not speak street names, but lane change feature is great. sun washes out screen tho- I made a plastic shade for mine that helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Walmart, September 5, 2009
I would like to thank Walmart for their policy of not honoring their internet pricing in their own stores. I had intended on purchasing a different model as a lower price at Walmart until I ran into this policy. So instead of coming home and ordering on line to have it delivered to the store I turned to Amazon. My purchase here was for a better and newer modle of TomTom at the same price as what I would have paid for the lesser modle and it was delivered to my home. So thanks again Walmart.

The Tomtom itself has met all my expectations and is surprisingly accurate. It's not perfect, since it wanted me to turn into two different fields on a recent trip, but otherwise on the trip it provided sound directions, reasonable arrival estimates and quick recalculations when I chose not to listen to the directions and explore. Working in the GIS field, I may understand more than others the difficulty of maintianing a national database, and the product impresses me. This may also allow me to accept an occasional misnamed street or missing street as I navigate from one place to another.

I would recommend this or other Tomtom products for others, just be reasonable in your expectations and you won't be steered wrong.

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful about upgrading the maps, December 6, 2009
Initially I thought it would work great, until I connected it to the computer to register and link to TomTom HOME. It informed me that a new map was available and asked if I would like to download it. I did, except there was near the end it said there was an error downloading and then the device kept saying no maps available. I tried multiple fixes, but nothing seemed to work. I called customer service -- was on hold an hour waiting for the next representative -- and then received a message that the were closed.

3.0 out of 5 stars AD is misleading., December 16, 2009
Copied from the Product details for the TomTom XL 340 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator

"Spoken turn-by-turn instructions and 3D graphics will guide you to any address in the United States, Canada, and Mexico--including more than 7 million preloaded points of interest"

This model DOESN'T include the spoken street name in the instructions.

If you want this feature, do not buy the TomTom XL 340 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator, get the Tom Tom XL 340-S

4.0 out of 5 stars Like it, October 5, 2009
Its Easy to use and the set up is a breeze. The only bad parts are that the system has some trouble with finding points of interest and it takes it about a 2 miins seaching for a signal. It causes problems if you are in a hurry. But otherwise i love it it shows the speed limits and will beep at you if you are over its a nice touch.

2.0 out of 5 stars I returned it in 24 hours, December 10, 2009
I bought this product 2 days ago at Costco. The ad gave me an impression that the item speaks street names (it does not). I tried it for 24 hours to several different destinations: it does not give the most practical and easy road instructions. Also, mounting apparatus is terrible, it does not hold onto any surface. I had tried a Garmin 265WT before on a rental car, all the above mentioned issues either did not exist or were much better. I returned TomTom in 24 hours and plan on buying a Garmin 265WT.

TomTom XL 340 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator