4.0 out of 5 stars Needs some tweaking, but all around a great nav system.
I've been using my TomTom ONE for a week and a half or so and overall, I'm quite happy with it. Out of the box or after having been moved a significant distance while off, the unit takes about a minute or so at most to determine its position. From a warm start, it's usually a matter of seconds.

Route calculations are generally finished quickly, as are...
Published on September 6, 2006 by Valent

Initially my Tomtom One was excellent. Then I made the fatal mistake of allowing Tomtom Home to automatically upgrade the software. The device never worked again because it could no longer find any satellites! (My computer has the maximum security offered by Windows XP and Norton Internet Security so it seems unlikely that the process was contaminated in any way.)
On...
Published on April 10, 2007 by keith wallace

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs some tweaking, but all around a great nav system., September 6, 2006
Valent (Herndon, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TomTom ONE Portable GPS Vehicle Navigator (Electronics)

Route calculations are generally finished quickly, as are recalculations when you fail to follow the route. Since the shortest rout distance-wise isn't always the fastest, I've diverted from the TomTom's original route and it usually recalculated a new route within moments of me going 'off course.'

I've only run across a couple downsides to the TomTom ONE, neither of which is too serious. First, the maps (at least in the DC/MD/VA metro area) are a few years out of date. There are a number of roads which just aren't in the unit's database. Some streets 'lose' their name for some reason. For example, one section of a street on the map may be labeled as 'Main Street' and another part of the same street may be "Unnamed Road." City names can be kind of iffy as well. When trying to input a specific address, I've often had to resort to entering the address by zip code since the TomTom's map database considers my home to be in a neighboring city name-wise and it won't find my street name in the city in which I actually live.

The second thing that kept me from giving the device 5 stars is the client interface on the computer. The client is supposed to allow the user to access the ONE and perform certain functions on-screen, but apparently is missing some component to actually emulate the unit. I've not gotten a response from TomTom regarding the problem, but have read elsewhere online that they know there's an issue with the client.

Overall, the TomTom ONE is a very nice, basic navigation system. Updated maps and a fixed version of the PC client software will hopefully be forthcoming and would make it a 5 star product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little device but needs a few fixes..., September 2, 2006
Bill Barrick (Cathedral City, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TomTom ONE Portable GPS Vehicle Navigator (Electronics)
This is my first GPS (not counting the Delorme Earthmate which is too antique to compare). So I'm impressed! There's a lot to like here given that I wanted a basic "no frills" device.

The One boots up and fixes within 1-3 minutes probably depending on how much open sky it can see. The unit recalculates routes in seconds and I've only run into the dreaded "turn around when you can" advice once. The SirfStar III chipset is a big improvement over what I read about older devices. I love the suction-cup holder--it's amazingly steady and hasn't come off accidentally yet (helps if you wet it a little). The voice and speaker quality are very good although I don't see much impact of the "link volume to car speed" function. The navigation is accurate but you do have to be careful--the One has already tried to lead me into a restricted area of the Pentagon! It also calculated a route that took me off a highway and immediately back on just to take advantage of 1.5 miles of unrestricted HOV. As with any advice based on old data, things can change--so be careful. Another caveat is that the Tom Tom One is a popular item for theft--hide it well or take it with you. And don't leave the suction-cup holder showing--the bad guys will break in to see if you left your One in the car.

I also really like the fact that the device contents are on an SD card which makes backups easy and straightforward. And the connector is a 5-pin USB so I only need one cable for it, my camera and my PDA. And I love the fact it's running Linux--that gives me all sorts of ideas.

The maps are a little wanting--I've got about 20 Favorites built up and it failed to find house numbers for some buildings built in the past 2 years. In fact, one restaurant it didn't find as an address it did find as a pre-installed POI (point of interest). So I have no idea until I drive there whether the POI it knew about, but couldn't find as an address, might be an old location for that restaurant! Which points up another perplexing oddity--you can't view the address details of saved routes--you can only rename them or delete them. They need to fix this.

One disappointment is that the emulator is not working for me. That's the part in the PC or Mac (PC in my case) client that gives you a direct interface to the device. Tom Tom has been working with me on this and the Help Desk has been very good and answers within a minute or two, but it is a disappointment. Tom Tom says it's almost certainly something in the client that's not supporting that function and are promising I'll see an update to the PC client that fixes it. I think I believe them (well, the first half of the statement anyway) given that the PC client appears to be a quick kludge of the older client for the more expensive models with the unsupported functions (MP3 player and image viewer) dimmed out when the client determines the device is a One. I hope they fix this soon. Most tasks can be completed on the device itself (at greater inconvenience) but one or two can only be done through the emulator. Until they fix this it'll be tough to deploy this to entities like sales forces that need to quickly enter the day's routes and itineraries before getting on the road.

Another odditiy is that the client keeps wanting to download and install the prior (beta) version of the device Operating System. Oh well, rushing tech to market means they get to use us as beta testers. I guess I'm getting used to that.

All in all only one star lost for the problems with the PC client. Now someone needs to start a U.S. Wiki!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple yet effective, April 27, 2007
This review is from: TomTom ONE Portable GPS Vehicle Navigator (Electronics)
Okay the first thing I would like to clear up is regarding other reviews of this product are basically hog wash. By that, no one really has a clue on what they are talking about even if they gave it 5 stars. No offence to anyone I just live an die testing technology prouducts. Ok since we got that out of the way I would like to point out if I was provided the opportunity this would have been 4.5 stars not 5; I will explain in a moment.

My Background:

- I have been providing Level 2-3 desktop and server support for the greater part of 8 years.

-Have owned/used three GPS units - two of which I will discuss today.

THE REAL REVIEW:

Overall the Tom Tom ONE Portable is an extremely nice unit with a few minor flaws. I will answer the most important question first. Is the unit reliable? The answer to that is clearly yes! Is the "Home" Software good? The answer is yes if downloaded from the site but NOT from the CD; it has been known to cause issues. You should contact Tom Tom to find out if the software is being worked on before downloading your copy. Download the .exe file not the Zip file. The .exe is faster and less likely a hacker could have messed with it. Otherwise, there are no issues despite what some say. Either they used the CD, which was a mistake, or they did something incorrect.

WILL THE UNIT BREAK?

Like anything if mistreated then yes. The unit is not to be tossed or flung like a pillow, kept in extreme hot or cold temperatures like your car over night, etc. In addition just as any GPS nothing is perfect even Gamin. Heck, I had a Quest 2 die on me once and take forever to recalculate; that does not mean it is a bad unit in general just because one unit of millions had an issue.

ACTUAL USE:

The tracking of the unit is actually dead on accurate. The unit performs a recalculation exceptionally fast should you miss a turn or went the wrong way. A minor flaw I have discovered is if there is a dead end the unit becomes frazzled and tells you to make a left or right when you can't. Simply turn around and you will be pointed in the correct direction again.

THE GOOD:

- 2-year warrantee!

-Will get you where you want to go no doubt.

-Provides you graphic images of the amount of time until your next turn, and the total trip left on the same screen.

-Zero chance of missing your turn as the unit clearly states over and over there is a turn coming up in X number of feet, yards, etc.

-Extremely clear to understand voices. Actually, 99% of them are very very good. If I spoke other languages those would be great too.

-Excellent screen resolution, brightness, and map detail.

THE BAD:

- Does not announce street names which would be nice. However, with the number of times the unit tells you a turn is coming up + the visual of the street or highway such as I-95 North you really cannot go wrong. It will actually say take the highway going north.

- The suck son cup: This is a major negative although I guess we only have ourselves to blame for this. Apparently, there were too many complaints that the unit was slipping off the cup. Well, Tom Tom now made the dam thing so tight that it is nearly impossible to take off. I would say you need to remove the base 40-50 times until the unit becomes loose enough to remove with ease. When attempting to remove, DO NOT have the unit over a table. Too much force is needed to remove; you run the risk of hitting the unit on the table.

- Navigating around the screen will take some getting used to. The device is user friendly but there is a learning curve compared to others.

NUVI 350 vs. TOM TOM ONE:

-Tom Tom has a much nicer voice selection clearer and louder for people hard of hearing. Both can increase and decrease the volume.

- Colors on screen: Tom Tom displays a richer deeper color.

- Both display heavily detailed maps. The Nuvi does allow you to reduce or add more details to the map; Tom Tom does not but the amount is actually just right.

- Nuvi 350 does have Text to Speech Tom Tom does not. Text to speech is the announcing of the street names. A very nice feature but the Tom Tom unit makes up for this by telling you a turn is coming up a lot more than the Nuvi. I used both at the same time on the same route to compare. Every single time the Tom Tom One alerted me first there was a turn or an exit coming up. It also alerted when it was time to get off the exit. Either one gave me plenty of time, the Tom Tom was just faster to the draw.

- Nuvi 350 has a far superior user interface there really is no comparison. The Tom Tom is not bad it is just more difficult to find what you want. For example if you are looking for Borders Books, you need to go through several menus to locate the screen where you are able to look. Categories are not clearly broken down, etc. On a positive note, once you become used to the device there is nothing to worry about; you will soon start to get a handle on things.

-Tracking is about the same. I did find the maps used on the Tom Tom will get you to your location a little faster when using the same route type such as fastest but we are talking about a 2 min difference; hardly worth worrying about. Auto recalculate is faster on the Tom Tom but the Nuvi is also not slow just the Tom Tom is much faster. However, the Nuvi allows the unit to let you manually recalculate much easier where in the Tom Tom you rather need to search through a few screens to obtain your option.

In the end, you cannot go wrong with either. The Tom Tom being less pricy is a big bonus but the fact that you need to struggle with the windshield cup is a rather large nascence and navigating around the unit is less user friendly. On the other hand if you are hard of hearing or would like to hear a really pleasing easy to understand voice then the Tom Tom One is for you; Gamin really needs to work in that area with all their units. Australian Karen is honestly the best you are going to get.

1.0 out of 5 stars good product - fatal software upgrade - very, very poor "service", April 10, 2007
This review is from: TomTom ONE Portable GPS Vehicle Navigator (Electronics)
On 11 Feb - I contacted Customer Service - nice courteous responses but no solution. Finally, on their advice, I returned it to the retailer on 27 Feb. It finally arrived at Tomtom Service on 8th March. That was the last I have heard of it!!!
I rang Tomtom Customer service on 2nd April and they could not trace the unit. Over the following 2.5 weeks I tried a series of faxes and online service queries but have received absolutely no human intervention or assistance.
In summary - I bought a "good" product, the online software stuffed it up and, over the following two months, Tomtom service achieved nothing except for apparently loosing my Tomtom!!!

Postscript: Finally, almost two months after seeking replacement of the faulty item, I have been advised that it is to be replaced. No apology or expression of regret from Tomtom but at least I will have a GPS.
Even though I vowed never to tangle with Tomtom Customer "Service" again, and I am free to choose the replacement model and manufacturer, I have found that Tomtom One still offers the best performance/price balance for my purposes.
I just hope that my new Tomtom runs well so that I will not have to be "serviced" again by Tomtom!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bang for the Buck, September 5, 2007
This review is from: TomTom ONE Portable GPS Vehicle Navigator (Electronics)
For $200, you sure get a lot! I've been wanting a GPS for a long time but they've always been out of my price range (my father dropped almost a grand on his) so when I saw these at $200, my interest was piqued. I read a few reviews and decided that it would be worth picking up and I took the plunge.

I've been using this for half a year now and have traveled through many states with this on. Here is what I've found out about this:

Positives:

1) It's only two hundred bucks. Again, most of them are still in the $500 price range. I've found very little that this can't do for the money.
2) Customizable. There is a wealth of information on the screen out of box but I wanted it to display some other things. After playing around with it for a little bit I found out how to get rid of the estimated time of arrival (very inaccurate) and replaced it with the current speed instead. There are a lot of other tidbits of information it can track but I'm happy with that change.
3) Works great out of the box. In fact, I didn't sync it up to my computer for any firmware or map updates until I had it for a few months. I did update the firmware (not sure what I got out of that), backed up my settings, register it, and no new maps were available but it was great to have a product I had bought five minutes prior working perfectly well in my car.
4) Battery Life. Sometimes I can't have it plugged in, like when I'm hiking, geocaching, need to use my cigarette lighter for something else, or showing it off for friends. That GPS that my Dad spent all that money on... no battery. Once it has no power it goes out like a light. And not only does it have a battery, but a long lasting one at that. A full charge will let this run for a couple of hours.
5) Very accurate. I especially love the MPH on this. Did you know that most cars have their speedometer off by about 5-10%?!?!? Now I have my speedometer on my GPS and it is perfectly accurate. 99% of the time my GPS knows EXACTLY where I am within a couple of feet.
6) USB cable. I love it when electronics comes with a standard USB cable. I hate companies that make you use a cable that is proprietary to the product (Palm, Zune, iPod, some cameras). Thank you, TomTom, for making this simple feature.

Negatives

1) No altitude. I can see Lat and Long, but I have no idea how high I am and in the mountains of Utah, that can be useful information. I'm surprised that didn't come as a feature.
2) Can't categorize favorites. Ah, probably my biggest gripe. I wish I could categorize my favorite locations. For instance, most favorites I only use while visiting somewhere and then I have a handful around town that I use 90% of the time. Since it lists things in alphabetical order I just start my more common favorites with a 00 and then group certain towns in their own code. It's a workaround, but folders would have been much nicer!!
3) Occassional Misreadings. This seems to be more of a problem with the maps then the unit but sometimes I just suddenly go "offroad" 20-50 feet, especially on the highway and a couple of local parkways. I think it is the maps because it always happens in the same places. I wish map updates would come on a more regular basis.
4) Estimated Time of Arrival is wrong. I think it assumed all roads are a set speed, like 40 MPH. But the Estimated Time of Arrival is ALWAYS off, especially on the freeway. I got rid of this and make better estimates in my head, but I wish it would make better assumptions (like Highway = 75, or in my case, about 90 while city streets are about 30 mph on average).

I didn't know where to list this, but the screen size can be both positive and negative. Both my parents don't like the small size and consider it hard to read. So if you need bigger displays just so you can read them, there are other products out there for you. However, I love the small screen size because it makes this device so much more portable and fits easier in my glovebox. My parents' GPS has to be carried in with them or hidden in less convenience locations, like under seats.

In the end, I love this product. For $200 I wouldn't have been surprised if it had done so much less than it actually does. I love this so much, my brother picked up the exact same model. He loves it to.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad Maps, Crazy Routing, Poor Battery Life, Clunky Interface, March 29, 2007
This review is from: TomTom ONE Portable GPS Vehicle Navigator (Electronics)
Everything is relative. If you have never used a GPS before, or you work for TomTom, then the TomTom One is the top of the mark. If however, you have used GPS units from other manufacturers, the TomTom One is far off the mark. The problem, in my opinion, is the maps.

The TomTom's use inexpensive maps from a European company called Tele Atlas. Garmin, Magellan and just about every single built-in navigation system sold in the USA use maps from the US based NavTech. Ultmately, having accurate maps and points of interests is the most important thing for a gps unit. In order for a gps unit to calculate a route properly, it must have the attributes (one way, speed limits, stop lights, etc) for all the roads in the country. In my experience, the NavTech maps are just better. If they weren't, why would everyone except TomTom use them?

In addition, the interface is a bit cumbersome compared to the best from others and the battery life is not very good. Finally, if you do have any problems, and you will, TomTom customer support is considered the worst in the industry.

In GPS units as in everything else, you get what you pay for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but ...., December 17, 2006
This review is from: TomTom ONE Portable GPS Vehicle Navigator (Electronics)
I bought the TomTom One and returned it because the Garmin Nuvi 360 gives me the name of the street I am turning into. This is a big plus. I don't have to take my eyes off the road to confirm that I am turning into the correct street. Last week my co-worker and I decided to do a test. We picked a destination and found both the TomTom and Garmin took us essentially to the same destination when we entered an address. We had to take a trip to a hardware store. I picked Shopping and then House and Garden. The Garmin showed me Lowes is 2.1 miles and Home Depot is 2.3 miles away. The TomTom didn't show the stores. I think Garmin has a more up to date map.

5.0 out of 5 stars An everyday user review, April 15, 2007
Compaeus (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TomTom ONE Portable GPS Vehicle Navigator (Electronics)
Great GPS unit that does what is supposed to do and flawlessly at that. Clear easy to read display and instructions. Menus and interface are self-intuitive to the degree that you just turn it on and start using it. No downloads, activations or learning required.

Satellite acquisition takes just a few seconds and recalculation when you miss a turn or instruction is equally fast. Accuracy is impressive with spot-on instructions and updated maps. Even small streets in rural areas are recognized and labeled.

After looking at the Garmin and Magellan units I thought this was the best unit for the price. It has the largest screen and the most features for this price range. A previous reviewer complained about the misrepresentation of Bluetooth capabilities to which I completely disagree. The fact the Bluetooth features are available at this price range is already impressive. Also unless you buy a much pricier unit none of them come with a dashboard stand. All manufacturers seem to sell them as options (Garmin included).

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent low-cost GPS solution., April 15, 2007
S. Moon (Lower Maryland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TomTom ONE Portable GPS Vehicle Navigator (Electronics)
After spending a couple months wrestling with, and researching, Global Positioning System devices, I finally settled on the Tom Tom One just before a trip from Washington, DC to Detroit, MI. The device performed beautifully throughout the trip, and has since made navigating the Washington, DC area much more enjoyable.

Do be aware that the device will find the fastest navigation route - even through it may take you someplace unexpected. For instance, while traversing Ohio (we stayed overnight in the Columbus area), the device took us north via some back roads I otherwise would not have known existed. Including one that wasn't paved. Not surprisingly, this saved us quite a bit of time.

Mounting options exist beyond the window mount, though you'll probably need to order them from the company. Details can be found in the brochures accompanying the device, or at the Tom Tom web site.

It's also worth visiting the web site using the included software, to ensure that you have the most up-to-date software, and any maps beyond Canada and the U.S. you might need. Frankly, I haven't seen the necessity given that I use the device solely in the area provided off the shelf.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works great... just dont connect it to your computer., April 18, 2007
This review is from: TomTom ONE Portable GPS Vehicle Navigator (Electronics)
I have done a lot of research on GPS devices and TomTom One appeared to have more bang for the buck out of the box. And it does. You turn it on, configure it, type in the addresses and it works... up until you decide to install TomTom Home and connect TomTom to the computer. TomTom asks if you want to connect it to the computer and you say yes. Then you turn on TomTom Home and it states there are no devices connected. I've tried three different TomToms on three different computers, from three different stores (all BestBuy).

After a few hours with their Customer Service and returning the device to the store twice (I'm on my third TomTom in 3 days), they finally said I should exchange the device or mail it back to them, so they can reload the software on the TomTom. After reading horror stories of lost TomToms, I'm not taking my chance. I'm going to return it and lose the restocking fee.

I'm very disappointed. One of the features is TomTom Plus (Traffic and weather updates). In order to activate it you have to connect to TomTom Home, which means connecting it to your computer.

Works great, as long as you dont connect it to your computer.

TomTom ONE Portable GPS Vehicle Navigator