Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Color: Grey|Change

on July 17, 2013
I have used a Garmin 305 for many years and decided I needed to downsize to something a little smaller. I picked this over Gramin's current lineup for the following reasons:

1) The price is lower.
2) It uses Bluetooth 4 instead of Ant+ which will integrate with more device and applications moving forward.
3) It acquires satellite connections much faster than Garmin.
4) They have greatly reduced the thickness of the watch over Garmin's. I wanted to wear it as an everyday watch and click into run mode when needed instead of carrying around a watch that is only used for runs.

One thing I struggled with was leaving the Garmin webstie for TomTom's incomplete website. However, you can upload your runs to Garmin manually if you want. Automated uploads to other sites like Runkeeper are included. TomTom has promised to keep building out their site so I figure it will get better.

I gave this 4 our of 5 stars only because there are some items that need to be addressed before this watch is the total package. I think they will get there but rushed to market before some of the kinks were worked out and the website was more robust. I have high hopes for the coming months.

Pros:
The size of the watch is perfect - very low profile and comfortable on the wrist.
If you sync every three days it will pick up satellite connections very fast.
I like that I can wear it as an everyday watch as well as my fitness tracker.
Menu navigation is very easy.
Nice large display that is easy to read.

Cons:
The watch band isn't tight on the watch device. It can easily fall out of the band when not on your wrist.
The tracking website is in beta. I think this should have been a little more complete before launch. I have hopes it will be expanded soon.
They need to figure out a way to stop accidental push of the button to end a workout. Maybe a double click or click and hold instead of a single click.

Suggestions:
Offer more watch bands - sizes and colors.
Offer the ability to purchase additional charging cradles.
Improve the watch band so it is more secure to the device.
Improve the website.
Make the stop of a run a little more deliberate so it can't be done my mistake.
22 comments|277 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello S. Beard, thank you for the detailed review and suggestions. I've shared your review with the product team. As I commented on other reviews, there are definitely plans to develop MySports further. You can see some screenshots of what's coming in DC Rainmaker's review here: http://bit.ly/1b1K3yE For the time being we've made it as easy as we could for people to use the platform of their preference either via automatic or manual upload of their running logs.

Update: Version 1.3.1 of the watch software is now available for download. Major new features include lap pace, input of pool length in both feet and meters, support for the 4iiii Bluetooth HRM and notifications in case you are running in demo mode.

For the full list of updates please visit: http://bit.ly/19N6Ddb

We will keep releasing more updates and functionality moving forward.

Update:
Happy to share that today, we released a new software update, version 1.4.1 for TomTom Runner and Multi-Sport GPS Watches. This update comes with the following changes:

Version 1.4.1

New functionality

Training partner Race
(Run, cycle, treadmill)
Race yourself: Compare your current activity with one of your last ten performances. See in "real-time" where you are compared to that activity so that you can continue to improve, activity after activity.

Interval training
(Run, cycle, swim, treadmill)
You can create your own unique schedule using time or distance, to better your performance or speed. The watch alerts you with beeps and buzzes when you need to switch to the next interval stage. Interval training is short periods of work followed by rest. The main aim is to improve speed and cardiovascular fitness.

Improved cycle mode
We now use the best available data from the Cadence & Speed Sensor and GPS.
If a data source is temporarily lost, for example in a tunnel, we use data from the other sensor if available.

Improvements and fixes
The backlight in the clock mode now responds better.
Several smaller bug fixes and performance improvements have been implemented.

What improvements and features for TomTom Runner & Multi-Sport are you working on?

We are also excited to share more information on the upcoming updates to the watch and MySports. Please visit: http://bit.ly/1fHC3qz

All the best and happy exercising!

UPDATE: 11/18/2013
We are happy to announce that last week, we released an update for your watch. You are welcome to connect to MySport and download it.Here are some of the Updated features:
Version 1.5.1

-Pausing and stopping an activity
You can now choose to press and hold the left button for approx. 1 second to pause or stop an activity. This helps prevent accidental pausing or stopping of an activity.
You can turn the press and hold function on and off in the settings.

-Stopwatch
You can now use the stopwatch function on both the TomTom Runner watch and the TomTom Multi-Sport watch. You can find Stopwatch on the activities screen. Stopwatch supports laps. To use laps move right from the activity screen or touch the area on the screen for the backlight.

-Improvements and fixes

-The buzz (vibration) in watch menus works again.
-We have resolved an issue that caused watches set to languages other than English to crash when races were selected.
-Several smaller bug fixes and performance improvements have been implemented.

For more information on the upcoming updates to the watch and MySports,please visit: http://bit.ly/1fHC3qz

Update: 01/31/2014: Software version 1.6.12

I'm happy to announce we've just launched the app for iPhones and iPads running iOS6 and above. Main functions of the app include:

* Upload and view your activities on your MySports account automatically after your training
* Automatically update your watch's QuickGPSFix
You can read more about the app and the accompanying watch software update here: link to bit.ly

Update your watch to Software version 1.6.12 in order to get and use the new functions. Thanks again for your feedback and support!
on April 11, 2015
I used to have a Timex Ironman GPS watch I bought on Amazon a year ago. Overcomplicated, useless GPS! Frustrating for a beginner runner!
This TomTom Runner GPS (non- multisport) is a gem.The user manual is the shortest I have ever seen. Not very useful but tons of great videos online go over every cool feature in this awesome watch!
Clean easy to read and use interface. Sensible navigation features, what a relief! Has a Run/Treadmill/Stopwatch/Alarm feature that is all I need. In addition I can preset 5K goals and other Interval goals by time or distance that have awesome features to keep me on track for objectives. Really easy settings, uncomplicated, very readable display.
Now for the good stuff ... blazing fast accurate GPS! They call it Quick GPS ... like NO kidding. My first time was about 25 seconds, not bad by even the best high priced watches out there. The next time it was a freaky 3-4 SECONDS to get GPS. I traveled 200 miles away and tested GPS several times, still 3 - 6 SECONDS! I tested in a 5K this weekend and the measurements were spot on in a fairly rural area of Kannapolis NC.
You do need to recharge it with your computer/laptop to get the latest software update. Looks like they are constantly improving and maximizing features. It also re-aligns the Quick GPS! I have a Mac Book Pro and downloaded the companion TomTom file.
Before I bought it I read all the reviews. Some say it's a pain to connect and update ... but to have it work so fast and so well ... you tell me? Definitely not a problem or concern for this runner. I wear as my daily watch with the GPS disabled in Airplane mode. I called TOMTOM and they said it should run for about 15 - 20 days without recharge if so desired. Comfortable for all day wear. Looks sharp!
The Bluetooth sync with my Android phone is awesome with tons of running stats and info. Track my run mapped very clearly, impressive.
What a pleasant change from my $150 Timex GPS!
Had it for 2 weeks, loving so far. Amazing watch, clear intuitive display and navigation ... what can I say ... Exactly what I was looking for! Very pleased, highly recommended.
Pics are what watch looks compared to my previous daily watch and some Android sync Activity from a recent run. Times are slow, be nice, I am a new runner!
review image review image review image review image review image
Dear B. Fifield,

Thank you for the review and I'm happy to read that you are generally satisfied with the TomTom Runner Watch. Please note that we also have a user manual which you can download here http://bit.ly/1Ho5VFh. I hope this further improves your experience. I will share this with the relevant teams as we continue to try and improve the features and functionality of our products.
on July 11, 2013
I feel bad writing this. I've been looking forward to this watch since DC Rainmaker's original review in April. I bought it the day it came out, but reluctantly returned it today.

Firstly the good.

-It's VERY slim. I've owned multiple GPS watches - this definitely is the slimmest.
-It does mostly find satellites quickly.
-It appears to be accurate. That was one of my biggest issues with the nike gps watch, which was often wildly inaccurate.
-The vibration alert is strong - maybe even a little better than my garmin 610.

The Not So Good.

- The functionality is light. The lap issue has been spoken before, but it's frustrating. If you want to get mile laps, for instance, you have to run in 'lap' mode. Ok - I can deal with that. But then when you get that lap - it tells you just what lap you've done. So 'Lap 1' on the screen after a mile. I can actually remember that - and also figure that out from the distance. I want to know my lap pace, but that doesn't seem to be possible.

- Screen metrics. So you can get 3 metrics on the screen, but 2 are small at the top, and one big one in the remainder of the screen. I'd prefer 4, but 3 are okay, although it would be nicer if they were similar sized. But there needs to be an option for 'current lap pace'. You can have overall pace, but not for the current mile. Most other GPS watches provide that. That's key for me. If I'm running laps - I'd like to see what I ran that lap in...

- The 'single button' isn't so easy to use. If you get to a stop light while running and need to pause - you hit the left of the button for pause. If you want to stop - you hit left again. The problem - you can do that accidentally. On today's run I hit it once to pause, the light changed, so I hit the right side to start the run again - unfortunately it had 'taken' 2 left pushes and so now my run was done. You can't 'continue' from where you were in this case - just start a new run. That's frustrating - especially if you're running long. Again, other GPS watches don't appear to have this issue.

- Finally the web site is very basic. When your runs are uploaded, there's very minimal functionality. It doesn't compare to other offerings from Garmin, Motorola or even Nike.

Overall, it feels very much like this watch was rushed out to market without everything being fully baked. Maybe future firmware updates will add new functionality (please fix laps and provide lap times !!), and I'm sure the website will add functionality too.

The hardware itself has possibilities - but I'm not prepared to be out $160 and *hope* these things are fixed. Maybe I'll buy it again in 6 months if they have been, but it's a competitive market place so maybe another watch will come out and I'll get that instead. I'm bummed. I really wanted to like this watch.
1212 comments|143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello R.Williams, I was sorry to read you decided to return the watch. I wanted to thank you for the feedback, especially all the detailed ideas on the lap functionality. I've made sure to share it with product development.

The one-button control might have a small risk of double-clicking unintentionally but we believe it offers much easier interaction on the majority of operations, especially while on the move and even while wearing gloves in tougher weather conditions.

Regarding MySports - while we expand the platform with more and more functionality you can use your account details to check the same data on mapmyfitness.com. We've also made sure to make it easy to continue to use your preferred running community, like MapMyFitness, RunKeeper and TrainingPeaks, with straightforward support for various standard file formats.

For the full list of updates please visit: http://bit.ly/19N6Ddb

We will keep releasing more updates and functionality moving forward.
on August 3, 2013
Overall excellent watch. I got the multi-sport but so far have only run with the watch. I manage a running store and have run with and talked to people that have all the main GPS watches. So far I have run with the Garmin 210, Timex 2.0, and Nike GPS. I have only run a couple time with this watch and will update the review as I run more. Out of the box the function and fit feels like it is in the next generation Nike GPS watch, which in a way it is.

Pros:

Connection time- The fast linking is a very critical feature. After getting used to the Nike watch which connects quickly switching to a watch that does not(Timex and Garmin) is painful. Like the Nike watch, which tomtom designed the GPS for, the link time is far better then the Garmin and Timex watches. Doing weekly group runs, runners with Garmin watches stand there for minutes and sometimes have to start the run before connecting. Nike watch owners and me connect almost immediately.

Slim fit-I had been running in the Nike GPS watch but after my FOURTH Nike watch broke during normal wear I started looking for new watches. This fits and feels much slimmer then the Nike watch and Timex watch.

Interface-Like the Nike watch, setting the watch is done with menus on the watch, not by hitting buttons like Timex or Garmin. Menus are easy to navigate and change settings.

Design-The slim profile is awesome, plus the display looks nice. When running people have complained about the joystick. I like it and agree it is easy to use while running.

Vibrate alert-When running with the Timex watch i realized the vibrate when it beeps is very useful. I constantly miss laps using the Nike watch. This is a small feature which I personally think is quite valuable.

Additional functionality- Won't comment too much because I have not used these features yet. But the graphical training features seem nice.

Upload-You can choose to upload to multiple sites as well as the tomtom site. You can also access the files on the computer. This is a nice mix between the Nike and Timex watch. With the Nike watch it was easy to upload to the Nike site but you had no control over the Data. Timex you could get the files but was not user-friendly when uploading to their site.

Battery Life-10 hours is a fraction more then the competition. Unless you are doing an ironman, this will be enough. If you need a longer battery the Garmin 910 will last longer but you will compromise price and a slim-fit.

Neutral:

The online site is in Beta so there are some issues. You can choose to upload to other sites as well. The costumer service is doing a good job responding to peoples complaints and are passing user suggestions forward. When the Nike plus site first started I lost run data constantly, the site crashed and it was terrible. Now it is very smooth although limited in what data you can get. The Timex site is the worst. Garmin probably has the best online interface right now, but if you are worried about that you can upload your data to another site while Tomtom is in Beta.

Cons:
Cannot get the multi-sport in the pink band!!! But maybe in the future

Secondary stats while running are kinda small.

Overall
Feels like the update to the Nike GPS watch; which in a way it is since tomtom designed the receiver and who knows what else for Nike. The features I most wanted from the watch were slim fit, fast satellite link, and easy watch interface. This so far is the best in all three categories.
33 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello Colin, thank you for the detailed review and feedback. Will keep you posted on updates to the software. More colors will definitely be available in the future. We also plan to release the watch straps as separate accessories for anyone interested in having a different color. Keep an eye on www.tomtom.com for availability.

Update:

Version 1.4.1

New functionality

Training partner Race
(Run, cycle, treadmill)

Interval training
(Run, cycle, swim, treadmill)

Improved cycle mode
We now use the best available data from the Cadence & Speed Sensor and GPS.

Improvements and fixes
The backlight in the clock mode now responds better.
Several smaller bug fixes and performance improvements have been implemented.

All the best and happy exercising!
on March 18, 2015
Finally! Someone has stepped up, and that someone is TomTom!

I'm an experienced runner and a software engineer. I've owned two previous gps watches by other top brands over the past 8 years. Both of them were far more expensive than this one. Both of them were clunky, difficult to operate, slow to get gps connections, confusing displays, confusing menu's, not waterproof, etc... But I put up with them because they still tracked my rate of speed, my time and my distance.

This watch has changed everything. I no longer have to put up with my gps watch. I love this thing. It looks nice, its so easy to use, its waterproof, it connects to gps satellites ridiculously fast, its light weight, the display is easy to read/understand. And the bluetooth makes it so easy to synch up my run data to my android phone. It also works with my apple macbook and windows PC. The MySports.tomtom.com web site breaks down all my fitness metrics --- which is not only fun and useful, but also very motivating. And best of all - the price! This seems like a $300 gps watch based on the features. It also has a heart rate monitor which I dont really use much, but maybe will start using it someday. This thing can also track your steps on a treadmill which I will use in the the winter at my gym (obviously gps doesnt work in a treadmill so this is a great feature assuming it works as expected).
Hi Amazon Customer "Tech Guy - Scott",

Thank you for your detailed and insightful review!

I am happy to read that you are satisfied with the watch.

Your review will be shared internally.
on January 11, 2015
Eureka!! After looking for a sleek GPS running watch and trying the Garmin Forerunner 220, I was frustrated by the 220's inability to sync with Runkeeper! It's a very inelegant watch of syncing with Forerunner and Garmin hasn't figured it out.

The TomTom was my reluctant backup to the Garmin Forerunner, but to my great surprise, it's an awesome watch. Very minimalist watch, low profile, just what I was looking for. Most importantly, it finds a GPS signal quickly and syncs easily with my iPhone and Runkeeper. I don't know about the complaints about software interface, but for basic running and logging needs, this watch is awesome!

Just a warning, this "pink" watch is much pinker than the photo suggests. It looks purple on the website, but is definitely feminine pink.
on April 23, 2015
I didn't buy from Amazon, because I didn't want to wait for it, plus it was on Sale at the Air Force Base Exchange. I just started really running about 6 months ago. at first I could hardly do .5mile as I kept progressing I noticed that I liked seeing what my runs were, BUT it was killing my phone battery tracking my runs. So My husband and I decided that we would BOTH get matching running watches. He is in the Marine Corps and he has to keep in shape, so he runs a lot as well. We got this TomTom Runner! I couldn't be more pleased with it. VERY accurate and battery life is incredible. I keep it in Airplane mode when I am not using it to run so I wear it as a plain watch. I love how simplistic but very functional it is. The only CON I have found with this watch is that syncing my stats from the watch to my tom-tom sports app on my phone is too much of a hassle so I end up throwing it on the charging dock to sync it to my computer so it will sync with my other app that I can share my stats. TomTom Sports app needs to be updated to be able to share straight from the app without having to have MapMyFitness or another app to share.
review image
Hi USMCWife74552,

We are pleased to hear that the TomTom Runner watch has been satisfactory. We are definitely looking into ways of improving MySports. I will share your suggestions with the relevant teams.
on September 14, 2015
I purchased this watch at the beginning of 2015, and used it for about 4 months before hitting an issue with the charger not connecting correctly to the watch. I used it another 2 months until the charger stopped working entirely. I recently (finally) contacted Amazon customer service and was told that I had a 1 year warranty - contacted TomTom and they are sending a new charger next week, when they have more in stock (supply issue right now, I was told).

POSITIVES
The watch itself, I love. The display is clear and easy to use, and I like having three pieces of data on the front screen (with more than you can scroll through easily.

The size is great - not too huge or bulky, but still a very readable screen.

I love that I can do laps (automatic based on time or distance, or manual, very helpful for running laps at the track), I love that it does intervals - I feel like this watch has a lot more software options than my friends' Garmins do. It is very comfortable and worked great in long runs in the teens as well as 80+ degree heat.

CONS
The charger won't charge, and even when it worked, it was a little tricky to get the watch connected correctly. I still am getting the replacement rather than returning for a whole new watch, and I would probably buy this again even knowing the charger might have an issue.

Other reviews noted that the "pause" function is one button push to the left, and "stop" is two pushes. I have accidentally stopped a run by pushing the wrong direction after a pause, and in fact during my half marathon race I accidentally stopped the tracking entirely just from taking off my top layer while running. So I guess I don't love that the "stop" is so easy to navigate to accidentally.

I also don't love that once you stop a run, the only data you have on the watch (that you can view immediately) is total distance and total time. You can get your split times, instant pace etc. while running, and once you upload data to your phone you can see all the details, but I am envious of my friends who can see immediately what their splits were.

All this said, I'm still giving it 4 stars because I love the watch. I miss the watch. This new charger better work!
on December 21, 2013
Tomtom Runner Review

I got my Tomtom Runner GPS watch about two months ago, and since then I have really enjoyed using it.
The watch is about 1 ¾ inches by 1 and 1/3 inches long, making it one of the biggest watch screens on the market. It has a strap with 11 holes, and with my smaller wrist I use hole 3. The great thing about this watch is that it can be used as a regular watch as well as a running watch, and you can just click into running mode when you are ready for your run. It is super slim for a GPS watch, and that is one of the reasons I chose this one over the current Garmin lineup. I am able to wear it casually and not look like I'm wearing a computer on my wrist (even though that's exactly what it is!). The watch itself is able to be taken out of the strap for either syncing it to your computer through the dock that comes with it or to interchange straps if you buy a different strap.

Instead of a regular control with buttons on the sides like most watches out there, it has a "one button control" on the bottom. You move to different slides or screens on the watch by pushing the four-way directional button in the direction you want to go. The "clock" screen is the main point of the watch from where you go to different slides. This screen shows the time, of course, and the day and month. If you have your alarm set it shows a little analog clock symbol under the time to let you know it's on. From the clock screen, you can push the down directional button to move to the settings screen. There you can change your options and settings. If you push the left button from the clock screen, you can see how much battery life is remaining in the watch, how much storage you have left, the current software version (my current version is 1.54) and the watch name. It also shows whether your "QuickGPS" is on, which is the way the watch gets GPS satellite signal so quickly. Syncing the watch every 2 or 3 days to your computer keeps it up and running. Next, if you move right from the clock screen, you get the meat and potatoes of the watch - the three modes you can use with your watch. You get Running mode, Treadmill mode, and Stopwatch mode.

First of all, let's talk about running mode. After all, that's what the watch is for, right? When you click right with "Run" highlighted, you get a screen with a little icon of a guy running with the words "Please Wait" under him. You'll see this screen until the GPS satellites get acquainted with the watch, and if your watch has been recently synced it will only take about 15 seconds! It's amazing compared to other GPS watches how fast this watch gets a signal. While your watch is getting a signal, you can click up for your history of recent runs (holds ten) or click down for your run settings. Down there, if you click right for Training, you have the option of setting what you want to do for the run. Here are your options:
* You can have nothing special and just run.
* You can click the "Goals" option and have the option of setting a goal for yourself for a certain amount of distance, time, or calories. During the run, you will see a pie chart style graph, showing you how close you are to reaching your goal. For example, if you have a goal of running 5 miles and you already ran 2.5 miles, during the run you'll see that your pie chart is 50 percent filled up. Your watch will vibrate at 50 percent, 75 percent, and 90 percent if I remember correctly. The vibration is one of the best parts of the watch! You can also click left during the run to see the rest of your running stats if you don't want to be staring at a pie chart the whole time.
* Another setting you can do is intervals. You are able to set your warm-up time and your cool down time and you can also set the "work" time and the "rest" time, and how many sets you want to do. For example, I could have a 5 minute warm up, 1 minute of "work" and 2 minutes of "rest", and a 5 minute cool down. I could do 3 sets of work/rest. During the run, whenever it is time to change, the watch would vibrate and give you a little message letting you know what is next.
* Another thing you can choose it "Laps". In this mode you can set the distance or time that you would like each lap to be. During the run, after each lap the watch will tell you what lap you're on and the average pace you had for that section of the run. Unfortunately, you will not get notifications like this unless you are in Lap mode. You also have the option of sectioning the laps manually by touching the screen when you want each lap to end. You have to touch the screen in a certain spot though and takes a second to calibrate. So, you could set your laps to be .5 miles each, and every half mile the watch will vibrate and tell you your average pace for that specific lap.
* You can do Zone mode also. You can set your pace zone to, let's say, 7:30 - 8:00 per mile. Your goal would be to stay in that zone, and if you go to fast or slow the watch would vibrate and tell you. If you have a heart rate monitor with your watch you have the option of doing your heart rate zones, too.
* Finally, you have Race mode. This allows you to race one of your previous runs virtually, and your goal is to try to beat the virtual runner. It lets you know if you are ahead or behind your virtual opponent in terms of feet, and if he passes you or vice versa it will let you know if you are in first or second place with a vibration and a little pop-up box. This is one of my favorite parts of the running mode.

During your run, you have three things you can see, that you set. I find it best to have the top left showing duration, the top right showing average pace, and the bottom, biggest box showing distance. You can change the bottom box during the run by pushing the up or down directional button. The stats your watch shows during the run are:
* Clock time
* Duration
* Distance
* Pace
* Average Pace
* Calories
* Heart Rate (If you have a heart rate monitor)

So, you have a lot of options here.

The Treadmill mode is pretty much the same thing, but it doesn't use GPS and has something to do with the movement of your wrist. I have been having some difficulty with this, as it doesn't really show the correct pace. You do have the option to "calibrate" it at the end with the treadmill's distance, and that makes it even so your data is accurate. Also, it has been acting up on me when the pace says 2:00 when it should be around 8. So, I would ask that they improve the treadmill mode.

You also have the stopwatch mode, which is a stopwatch with up to a hundred "laps" you can do. Pretty simple and self-explanatory.

Another few things you can do with the watch. You have night mode, which is turned on by a small touch screen on the right side where the three dots are. It can be a little finicky but is pretty good most of the time. It lasts about 3 seconds, but if night mode is on in the settings then it lasts a lot longer during the run. It does decrease battery life, though. This is the same spot where you tap to stop your laps during a run if you are in manual lap mode. There's an alarm you can set, and it vibrates and beeps at the time it is set too. You can either snooze it or not. If you don't do anything it vibrates for two minutes and then snoozes itself for about 5 or 10 minutes, and then starts again.

You can upload all of your runs onto the Tomtom MySports Connect website, and the site has been improved a LOT since the beginning. It is a very good site now with very useful features. You do, however, have the option to upload your runs to sites such as Map My Fitness and Training Peaks.

Some pros and cons about this watch.

Pros:
1. Great size - perfect for running and casual wearing alike
2. Awesome GPS accuracy
3. Super quick GPS satellite acquisition
4. Easy to use interface
5. Big display
6. Option to do "Treadmill Mode"
7. Great alarm
8. Super-long 10 hour battery life
9. Nice night mode style
10. Can switch out straps, once they release different colors
11. Vibration AND sound combined- best part
12. Can pause and stop your runs, and can lock it so that you can't accidently stop your run without a little work
13. Tracks your routes and you can follow where you run on the website
14. Very cool design to it. Love the clock.
15. Waterproof and sweat proof.

Cons:
1. Still in Beta but is being updated frequently
3. Kind of easy to accidently push the directional button without meaning to
5. Treadmill mode malfunction, not accurate a lot of times
6. Current pace isn't very accurate, takes a LONG time to get the right instant pace. Average pace works fine though.

Until they get all the updates for this watch, I'm going to rate it 4 stars. Love the watch, but hurry with the updates TomTom! Can't wait for fall to start Sr. High Cross country. Need a great watch before then, and this watch does the job.

****UPDATE****

I've had this watch for almost a year and the other day while I was at the beach is fell out of my bag and cracked on the tile. It's still perfectly functional but has a large crack at the bottom left corner of the watch. Be careful with this watch! Don't drop it! It doesn't look too good with a nice big crack on the screen.
Also, the updates that Tom-tom have released are GREAT. Buy this watch! You won't be disappointed....

****UPDATE**** - The demise of my watch

My watch has officially died. I decided to take it in the ocean, unknowingly, and watches are most definitely NOT waterproof with a giant crack in them. So the salt water got into the watch, and, well... long story short, it passed on.
Never fear, though.... I shall certainly be getting another one of these amazing watches!
One other thing - the price of this watch when I first bought it was $169.99, and I thought it was a great deal. Now it is $79.99. If you know what's best for you, get this thing RIGHT NOW! It is worth EVERY penny. Especially now that they dropped the price by 90 bucks.]
Another thing - the updates are pretty much over. The watch is as good as it's gonna get and so is the website. Just buy the thing, okay? :)
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Dennis, thank you very much for the detailed review of the Runner; I'm glad it is to your liking. I will definitely be sharing your review internally as feedback to all the relevant teams as we value your input and it helps us improve the watch.

I will also keep you informed of any new and upcoming updates to the Runner.

Update: 01/31/2014: Software version 1.6.12

* Automatically update your watch's QuickGPSFix

on July 25, 2013
** UPDATE 2013-07-31: for the sake of fairness I should note that that the battery life of this unit is a beast. Best I've seen of any GPS watch. I ran with it for 34 miles (~5.5 hours at my pace) last week and I use it as a day watch as well. I have not charged it and battery still shows ~60% left. That's a feature that no watch at this price point can match. I'm upping the rating one full star because of battery life alone.

Intended use: I purchased this GPS watch to help me keep track of my runs as I'm training for the so-called "Marathon season" in the fall. So my primary use is outdoor running.

Research: since I don't have money burning out of my pockets, I did an absurd amount of research among all the GPS watches between $150-$200. I narrowed it down to the Garmin 210, Nike+ SportWatch and this TomTom. They all are great on paper, decided for TomTom because the innovative design, the looks, the newest of the three and the ability to pre-load GPS data.

Looks: what I like about this watch is that based on looks and sleek design, you can use it as an every-day watch, not just a running watch. I'm fond of the colors and the low profile.

Strap: the strap runs a bit on the short side. My wrists are faily small and I have to lock it in the second-to-last hole. I wish it was at least 1/2'' longer -- at least for the men's version. They are tough, yet supple, so I don't foresee any major issues with them.

Detachable watch: for better or worse, this watch can be detached from the strap. While I can see the benefits, I can also see the disadvantages. For instance, vigorous exercise or fast arm movement can cause the unit to fly off if it isn't properly fastened to your wrist.

One-button navigation: it's a very nice idea, but it feels flimsy and prone to be accidentally broken. Maybe for next version they'll add a nav button that feels more sturdy, like that of a gaming console controller.

The internal software (i.e. latest firmware): it's not all that hard to navigate and fairly soon you pretty much where everything is. However, it's missing some features that just hurts. For instance, there's no way to delete an activity from the your workout history and there's no way to flag an activity so that it's not sync'd and pushed upstream. So, I just did a few calibration runs and bam all off them were uploaded and, again, no way to delete them or flag them. As of now, every activity you record is going up whether you like it or not.

The web service: this is by far the biggest disappointment of all. As of today, you cannot manage your activities (add/delete/edit), the graphs and analytics are extremelly limited. They are making it easy to use other 3rd party services like MapMyRun, RunKeeper and so forth, but that's a bit of a cheap cop-out. For paying what this watch cost, I was expecting much, much, much more than either of those services which can be used for free. I was expecting full set of analytics, full in-depth tools to dig in and look at the data, full management of my activities, ability to import data _from_ 3rd party services and so forth. Big swing-and-miss for TomTom on this. Time-To-Market rushed this product through, no doubt.

GPS accuracy: this unit's GPS were very accurate and at par with my iPhone RunKeeper and MapMyRun as well as with my car's odometer.

GPS acquisition: it took over 12 minutes to lock in on satallites while standing indoors next to the window. It consistently took less than one minute if I tried it outdoors with a nice, clear view of the sky. Have no tried it under thick tree canopy cover. I tried QuickGPSFix but did not seem to work, at least the two times I tried.

All in all, I'm thinking about sending it back and trying my luck with one of the Garmin's. It's a shame, because this watch has a lot to like, but it's sorely lacking on some crucial respects. TomTom ought to admit they released this product entirely too early. A few more months of QA/QC would have done wonders.
66 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello Relentless, thank you for the detailed review and feedback. As with previous reviews, I will immediately share it with product development. Your two main critical points seem to be around the detachable watch module and MySports analytics functionality. We believe in the advantages of the detachable design and I've tried myself to force the watch to detach with quickly waving my arms around but did not succeed. However, I can recognize the chance you're writing about in case the watch is not fastened properly - it's good advice to users to make sure they fasten it, just in case.

Regarding your comments on MySports - we are very ambitious with developing it to give more information and functionality to users, but also realize that it needs more time and work. A glimpse of what's coming can be seen in DC Rainmaker's detailed review here: http://bit.ly/1b1K3yE Developing the comprehensive platform you describe from scratch is definitely a challenge and that's one of the reasons why it was important for us to make the watch compatible with multiple existing platforms. Users can use whatever feels most comfortable for them, while we work on MySports. Hope this helps give perspective and also hope you keep using the watch.

Update: Wanted to also add that MySports is powered by MapMyFitness and it is important to understand that you can still view all your activity information using your MySports account via MapMyFitness. At the moment more complete activity management is possible on MapMyFitness - have a look at this support page, it gives information on how to manage activities that get automatically uploaded via MySports: http://bit.ly/13gJb20