5.0 out of 5 stars HALO! HALO! HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW!
Published 13 months ago by marianna

1.0 out of 5 stars NO GOOD
These things are no good. The water does not drain through the spike holes in the outer ring. If these spikes were set down into a potting soil, they might work, otherwise forget it. In regular garden soil they virtually can't do anything but clog up. Don't believe the good reviews. Someone's pulling our leg.

The drain holes in the bottom of the spikes are...
Published 11 months ago by Harry

1.0 out of 5 stars NO GOOD, August 3, 2013
Harry (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tomato Halos, Set of 3

The drain holes in the bottom of the spikes are about 1/8 inch or slightly larger. It's almost impossible for them not to plug up. Also, the spike itself is hollow, just waiting for debris to get in there and clog it up. And you won't be able to get it out except when it is very dry and with a vacuum cleaner, if you have some kind of attachment to get in there. I noticed these potential problems immediately upon receiving the item, but hoped it wouldn't be true. I didn't return them because I desperately needed some kind of water container around my plants, and hadn't yet thought of, or found, the pails mentioned below.

The holes on all three of my halo's clogged up after one watering. I drilled the holes to 3/8 inch. Without writing up everything I did here, I went to a lot of trouble trying to make the holes drain, hopefully for the whole season. But, having recognized the defect in the design of this product, I didn't really expect it to. One of the three halo's has clogged up again, and with my tomato plant growing large around it, there is no way for me to fix the problem. I can't move the thing.

Even if water is draining through the outer ring, you have no way of knowing if it is only draining through one hole on one side of the plant, about 5 inches from the stem.

If you go crazy and buy these things anyway, I suggest you drill the spike holes to 3/8 inch. Press the halo into the soil and make an impression where the spikes will go. Dig larger and deeper holes around the spike holes and fill them with potting soil to give the drainage a better chance. What you are going to do about the debris getting into the spikes and clogging them up, I don't know. Good luck.

Another thing. That central place that you are supposed to fill with soil around the tomato plant, that's just a gimmick. And not just a gimmick, a slightly harmful gimmick. The instructions say to keep the central column moist. With plastic around the center column, it won't dry out too fast, but could be troublesome to keep moist. No good at all for the plant.

There are three basic ways to plant a tomato plant.
1. Plant it at the same level as the soil that it came in.
2. Neatly snip off the lower branches of the plant, dig a deep hole, and plant it with just the top branches showing. Tomatoes are a vine and this won't kill it. This supposedly will allow the tomato plant to grow a deeper, stronger root system, faster.
3. Most soil nutrients are in the first 3 inches of the soil. Neatly snip off the lower branches of the plant. Dig a sideways trench in the soil and lay the plant in the trench with the stem 2 to 3 inches below the surface, leaving just the top branches showing. This supposedly takes better advantage of the surface nutrients and surface water.

For most of my tomato plants I purchased 4 qt. plastic pails from Menard's for 96 cents each. I drilled a 2 inch hole in the center and planted the tomato through that. A little to the side of the center hole, I drill a ˝ inch hole for a support stake. Around the outer edge of the pail, I drilled 6 one quarter inch holes for water drainage. The halo's, with shipping, cost me about $10 each. The pails cost me about $1 each, and they actually work.

For one tomato plant I used a plastic oil drip pan that people use to change oil in the car. I drilled the same kinds of holes in it. They're less than $4 each, but for my purpose's, it worked a little better than the pails.

By the way, the reason I'm putting these things around my garden plants, is because I have to hand carry water to my garden. Pouring a little water, letting it soak in, pouring a little more, then a little more, and doing this for each plant, was way too back breaking. So, I put these containers around the plants, pour once, and let the water seep through the holes slowly and deeply. These containers also help to keep away a couple of bugs that attack tomato plants. Some people put a `tomato ring' around their plants.

5.0 out of 5 stars HALO! HALO! HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW!, June 3, 2013
This review is from: Tomato Halos, Set of 3
Very well, thank you. I ordered 9 Tomato Halos from Amazon, 3 red and 6 green. Dear husband put them around 5 tomato plants--one Bush Goliath, one Big Boy and three Cherry Tomatoes (indeterminates). Also, put a halo around 3 eggplants and one basil plant. The garden looks amazing. All the plants are growing beautifully. We have found the halos hold water very well and release it slowly. They, also, act as mulch around the plants keeping weeds out and moisture in the soil. It is just June 3. We will post more after we have more growing time and will give an update.

As I mentioned, we have six green ones now and three red ones. The red is flashy and kind of cute, but we really prefer the green. Just seems more like a garden color so that's going to be a matter of taste.

My only complaint has been the cost of shipping. I wish Amazon would offer them on Prime. This has been a costly proposition and we want to buy more halos if all goes well. I did go on Gardeners website after the fact, and they do, at various times, offer promotions that do include free shipping. It, also, appears it may be cheaper to order directly from Gardeners Supply as the Halos get less expensive as your order quantity increases. That does not seem to be the case on Amazon. Sorry, Amazon, but you should be able to offer us the same prices as your supplier and I do love Amazon. The saying around this house is "A day without Amazon (an order arriving) is a day without sunshine."

Just learned another bit of helpful information re shipping. It seems free shipping from Amazon occurs only when items ship from their warehouse. That would not be the case with this item and others from Gardeners Supply so it might benefit us to check on Gardeners Supply website first. They seem to be a nice group of people trying to work with their customers. I just bought six more Tomato Halos. This time from Gardeners. They were good enough to give me free shipping since I had already spent $19.90 for shipping on the first two orders.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product so far, June 26, 2013
This review is from: Tomato Halos, Set of 3
My tomatos have grown more and faster this year than in any previous year. It has to be due to the tomato halos because this is the first year I have used them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this product, January 31, 2014
Karen (KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tomato Halos, Set of 3
I used this last summer in my garden and loved it. The plants did well and it made watering so easy, just fill the well and move on. The halo makes it easy to offer a consistent amount of water each time I watered which makes for a healthier plant. I didn't get water erosion around the plant roots and it kept the weeds away from the base of the plant. I used these in a raised bed and a regular bed with similar results. I had no problem with the drain holes clogging and my round tomato cage fit through the pre-made holes at the top. It is sturdy unit and will last many seasons. I am going to purchase more of these this year and use them for other types of veggies.

Tomato Halos, Set of 3
Tomato Halos, Set of 3 by GARDENER'S SUPPLY CO.
Out of stock