5.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Believe I'm Posting This
This review is not a review. The game itself is great. I'm posting this to explain to people just what Steam is. The negative reviews I'm seeing are because of people not being familiar with Steam.

Published 18 months ago by Nevaro1990

3.0 out of 5 stars Clumsy Camera And Controls Make this game A real Agony!
I have played TR 2013, TR Underworld, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, and TR Legend. I finished them all. I fell in love with the series. BUT.......

Published 1 month ago by UhvPluck

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Believe I'm Posting This, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Anniversary [Online Game Code] (Software Download)

For those unfamiliar with Steam, it's an online gaming distribution merchant. You buy games from them, or use a code purchased from elsewhere. Once you've registered the game through their client software, you have unlimited access to that game to play to your heart's content. If that makes you squeamish, take it from me - it shouldn't.

I first heard of Steam over 10 years ago, when Half-Life 2 was being rolled out. Valve decided to use an online distribution of the game instead of selling retail boxes (which was the most common,and prevalent, way of selling video games). Many people were up in arms about this. What if the site shut down? What if I don't have internet access? What if my internet connection wasn't reliable or fast enough? What if Valve says no one can play their game anymore? A decade ago, these were legitimate concerns as Steam was a completely new and untested way of distributing games. And honestly, the internet was almost as unreliable, too. I was one of those who thought that way, and I avoided it like the plague. But since that time, Steam has proven to be one of the most reliable, and easiest to use, distributors of online games to date. If fact, many other game companies are now following their lead (Origin, Ubisoft, etc.). In the years to come, digital distribution will completely dominate PC gaming, if not so already.

My first use of Steam was because of a video card I had purchased a few years ago. When I bought the card, it included a "free copy of the new Avatar game! Woo-hoo!". When I received the video card, there was no CD/DVD copy of the game, only a postcard with a Steam code and instructions. To say I was miffed was an understatement. However, I had heard that in the years since it's inception, Steam was considered the defacto way to purchase and play games. Really?!?! Well, I tested it out by registering with Steam, downloading their client and then registering/installing the game. What I learned since then is that I was happier to have been exposed to Steam than playing the free game I got (which was OK, at best).

Since my first (admittedly forced) use of Steam, I've purchased a ton of games from them - either directly or through Amazon. They have amazing deals on games almost daily, and especially during the holiday season. I've actually bought games that I still have a hard copy of (Oblivion, Morrowind) just because they included all expansions and post-release content. They were dirt cheap and it's great to not have to manually install them anymore. I just use the Steam client and it's all taken care of.

Here's the Pro's of Steam:

-Games are kept up to date. You don't have to install your version 1.0 from a hard copy and then scour the internet for updates, which is extremely helpful for older games.
-Many older, hard copy version of games that have problems running on newer operating systems (Win 7, Vista) just work.
-Steam has amazing sales on new and old games alike. Sometimes you'll find an older, rarer game (normally with all expansions and add-ons) that you had forgotten about and get it for dirt cheap.
-When doing a fresh Windows install, just download the Steam client, log in and download your games. No disc-swapping, no hunting for discs, no fears of scratches and no more hunting for updates.
-The Steam client will track achievements in many newer games - bragging rights to your buddies playing the same game. This, for me, is not important, but for many it is.
-Many games will keep your progress in the Steam Cloud so you can play a session on your desktop and swap over to the laptop later and still resume where you left off.

Here's the Cons of Steam:

-If you have no internet, forget about it. Seriously though, who doesn't have internet?
-If you have slow internet, it can be frustrating to download/update a large game. I admit, that would suck.
-Technically, you don't own the game. Technically, you don't own ANY game. It's great you still have a hard copy of "Sim City 2000" or "Doom 2", but good luck installing it on your new computer and getting it to work. Floppies are dead, and have been for a looooong time. CD's will get scratched/lost. Try to contact your old game's publisher and see if you "own" their game (hint: you don't).

For those of you who still abhor the thought of Steam, you might want to try Good Old Games ([...]). They are also an online digital distribution site, similar to Steam, but their games are direct downloadable and contain no DRM (digital rights management). You can download older games that will work with modern operating systems and without any third party software or internet connection. You can back them up on recordable CD/DVD's and install them on all your computers, if you'd like. The prices are comparable to Steam, but their catalog is not nearly as large. You will find some very old, and popular gaming gems there, though.

In closing, whatever your thoughts are of Steam, online digital distribution is here to stay and it will only get larger. If you insist on clinging to the old model, you should take care to keep your hard copies of games in a fireproof lock box and keep an older computer, with an older operating system, working at all times so you can play your "good 'ol hard copies". That's the only way you may be able to play them if you dismiss this model.

Phew! Sorry for the long-winded comment (or rant, if you'd like), but I hate to see great games getting a bad rap because of the way it's being distributed or because of those unfamiliar with (not really) newer ways of distribution.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Old Classics, December 20, 2012
If you play and like the original version of Tomb Raider, you'll like this modern upgrade, HD, sound and Lara.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome game, September 12, 2012
If you like the old Tomb Raiders and Legend you're going to love this game. This is basically Legend 2, and Legend was a true gem

If you like Underworld and Guardian of Light, you might still like this game but it's less like those two.

Gameplay/Graphics/Sound - 10/10

Gameplay is classic Tomb Raider. Puzzles and shooting the occasional T-Rex. Graphics I actually turned down a few notches just to save wear on my GPU and it was still awesome. Sound gave a nice ambient effect and gave you hints at what was going to happen. Very integrated and enjoyable.

Story - I don't really watch the story much in these games, you could probably find that elsewhere. That's not why I play these. I like to solve things.

Bad - It was too short for me. I probably got 20 hours in my first run, though that was not finding every artifact and have yet to do a replay. I also have Lara's manor to go through.

Overall it was well worth the 10 bucks I paid. Pick it up, you won't regret it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Clumsy Camera And Controls Make this game A real Agony!, May 21, 2014

THIS TR has me at almost the very end, where I am standing on a "retracting ledge" (The Retracting Ledges are the biggest pain of this entire game!). Others mentioned how difficult it was to fight the T-Rex, while others mentioned how really tough it was to defeat the Centaurs and find the underwater tunnels at the Tomb of Tihocan. Although these areas were challenging, they were NOTHING compared to "The Retracting Ledges." EVERY TIME I line up and get ready to jump and grapple, the camera moves me over a notch and I miss my grapple almost every time. I have gotten through to the "downhill ledge" on the other side, but, when I slid down, jumped and quickly grappled to complete the sequence, I once again missed ands fell into the lava pit.

At this point, I really don't know if I will continue playing the game, as too much of my time is wasted on it and it's a shame.

I ran into some camera, or "camera replacement" issues in TR Underworld and TR Legend, also. Just why the developers do this is a mystery, but, IT'S MADDENING!

If the grappling issues and dumb camera movement could have been straightened out, I would have given this game FIVE STARS.

As it stands, however, I could only "cough up" THREE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lara Croft's first adventure reborn, March 3, 2014
Great re-imagining of her first adventure. Key worked perfectly for steam and was only a little more then a $1.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!!, November 4, 2013
I have never written game review before. I am an older guy who plays PC Games on occasions just for the heck of it. Tomb Raider has great graphics, a super storyline, lots of challenges and a whole bunch of action. I just finished it (it's not short) and can't wait to have another go at it! Try it, you'll like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good deal, August 5, 2013
I bought this game for my brother. I've never palyed it before, and I was not so curious about it since I knew that the first one was really great. But I was surprised when I realise this one is a really good game too.
4 out of 5 for making me play LC:TR again after so many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lara Croft ... can I say more?, July 18, 2013
Sure I can .. but I can't play it ... this is a remake of the older version but Amazon's Steam Involvement is not so easy to do .... keep getting a message "need a vailid Email." and I have three that are receiving emails from others...

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, plays the same, March 1, 2013
It's Tomb Raider with updated graphics. If you liked the classic game, you'll be OK with this. There is an annoying camera / mouse relationship though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, January 8, 2013
Usually when I play a remake of a game, I assume it's not going to be as great as the original (think Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, although that wasn't technically a remake so much as a re-imagining.) However, Tomb Raider: Anniversary was actually pretty good. The controls took me a lot of getting used to (I mainly play WoW on my PC) and sure, there are a few glitches that made me cuss at my computer and consider punching my monitor, but those can be fixed with a simple Google search. (You'll likely die 4 or 5 times before you bother to look the glitch up.) I'm giving it 5 stars because it was a great game, I had a great time, and you can tell through the details that the developers worked really hard on this.

Rate and Discover Movies