4.0 out of 5 stars Great game.. a bit pricey for an "upgraded port" though
The PS4/XBox One version of Tomb Raider has caused a bit of drama. Tomb Raider was originally released on the PS3/Xbox 360 a little under a year ago -- when they announced the PS4 port so quick to the actual release date (announced Dec 7th, released late January), combined with the fact that it would retail at full price, it caused a bit of negative press...
Published 7 months ago by MiRSD

3.0 out of 5 stars No replay value
It's MEH. Graphically it's amazing. Lots of times I thought I was in a cut scene but it was actual game play. The game was fun and innovative, as in any Tomb Raider lots extras to go find, side quests and the AI is top notch. Where it lacks is in replay value. I'm used to being able to play through again just to try and find what I missed...in this game you can totally do...
Published 1 month ago by ErickU

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game.. a bit pricey for an "upgraded port" though, January 28, 2014
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)

Right off the bat, this is for the most part a port of the current version. There have been upgrades to it along the way (lighting, textures, hair effects) but the game was not re-made from scratch for the next-gen versions. The original game did already look really good on the PS3/360, but there is a noticeable difference still. If you're looking for "new stuff" in this version, it's unfortunately not there.

I own the PS3 and PS4 versions and have put about 12-16 hours into the PS4 version as of this review (game completed with 67%).

The PS4 version runs at 1080p, 60fps (it may dip below that a bit, particularly in the very wide-open environments but I don't have any way of confirming the framerate. For me, it seemed to run fine, just not quite as smooth as some of the smaller locations).
The PS4 version also includes all of the DLC from the original release (different costumes, multiplayer extras, etc..) -- this was nice to have included with it (as it would surely upset people if it hadnt been), but the content is still pretty basic.

The PS4 version does make use of the new controller -- you can swipe up on the touchpad to light the torch, down to put it out.. you can use voice controls to bring up map, switch weapons, etc.. The controller LED also seems to change colors at points in the game (unfortunately, playing the game you rarely ever see the LED colors on the front of the controller, so I don't know how useful this feature is :) ). Lastly, some audio does seem to come out of the controllers' speaker (such as radio dialog during cutscenes). My verdict on these: I used the touchpad, didn't use voice controls and didn't really notice the controller speaker as much (unless the TV was on mute). It seems much more noticeable when used in other games such as Resogun. I didn't pay attention to the LED, but did see it changing colors from time to time.

The gameplay itself is great. Probably one of my favorite (single player -- I didn't try Multiplayer) games in years. The story keeps you entertained, the upgrades along the way work very nicely (keeps it from being the same throughout - you actually want to upgrade weapons and find new weapons), the story/gameplay is fairly linear.. hard to get lost (even in wide open areas). There are some things you can do along the way: Hunting to build up experience, optional tombs to explore. My favorite part of the game is that it was constantly moving between types of gameplay.. exploring.. hunting.. puzzles.. shootouts.. quicktime events.. it never felt like I was stuck running around for 2 hours from location to location, the variety always mixed things up and kept the game fresh.

The game itself is worth fullprice to me.

For someone who has already played/owned the PS3/360 versions, this is simply a visual upgrade for the most part. The visual upgrade is VERY NICE, but it's hard to justify buying it again when it could have easily been a "HD VERSION" like we saw last gen. While some stuff is obviously upgraded, other aspects seem to look the same. Lara's model seems to be given the biggest upgrade (obviously), but other characters seem to be mostly the same. I never played the PC version, but imagine this is closer to what that looked like.

So is it worth it?

If you do not own it on another console, Yes. I would buy the PS4 version even though the PS3 version can be had for less than half the price.
If you do own it on another console, it's hard to justify at full price. I bought it because I loved the game and was happy to play through it again and see the changes.. but that's hard to suggest others do when its merely an upgraded version and not a full remake.

Note: The PS4 version is offered in 2 options.. Standard case or Artbook. The Artbook version is the one I bought, and included a DVD-Sized artbook with slipcover and a slot in the back of the artbook to hold the game disc. This is a bit disappointing as the case is oversized and doesn't match PS4 cases. The artbook is nice with some cool concept art though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Game, April 28, 2014
MightyCzar (Yuma , Arizona) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)
I wasn't sure what to expect but can honestly say that this was an amazing game. It was much longer and much more creative than I was expecting. I was hoping for a 10 hour Uncharted game with a female lead. It was much much more than that. I am now a Tomb Raider fan and will be purchasing the next addition, whenever that may be.

Note: I did not own or play the PS3 version. I only tried this one because there wasn't much available yet for PS4. Glad I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, worth it or not?, July 2, 2014
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)
Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is an updated version of the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot with update graphics and controls. Many people were unhappy about the game releasing at full retail price of $60 since it is essentially a port of the original. Many who bought the original last year questioned if it was worth buying again on current-gen. I will attempt to answer that question.

2013's Tomb Raider is one my favorite games of all time. The story has a dark, gritty feel that was lacking in the original games. While the earlier games were fun-filled adventure tales, this is a story about survival. Lara ends up stranded on an uncharted island and must build herself up to survive against hostile human adversaries as well as the elements.

The characters are extremely done. Camilla Luddington plays Lara Croft extremely well and makes Lara seem human in a way that the original games did not. The bulletproof Lara of the past is gone, and in her place is a Lara that is scared, gets hurt, and must learn from her mistakes in order to survive and save her friends. The remaining cast is mostly done very well, with one or two exceptions.

The graphics in the last-gen version of the game were spectacular, and the current-gen are even better. The controls are update as well, with fun new ways to switch weapons, bring up the map, and light and stow your torch. Also, the prequel comic that came with a preorder of the original is included on the disk in digital form.

For those who have yet to experience this game it is definitely worth full retail. For those who already own the game I suggest you wait until it drops in price to about $20-30.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leaves you sad it's over when you beat it., May 13, 2014
Adam J. Williams (Southeast, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)
Pros:
1. Great graphics
2. Great story
3. Great gameplay

Cons:
1. Buggy. Even months later on PS4 and a full year later on PS3, this game still has freeze bugs that can happen anywhere and any time. Even as far as corrupting game saves. Make regular backups to PSN or USB thumb.

I'd elaborate, but really the game just sort of speaks for itself when you play it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Game!!!!, February 24, 2014
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)
I didn't own this on any other system but the PS4 and I can honestly say this is the best game out right now. The gameplay is interesting and different. The different weapons and attachments keep the game from being dull. The game is also the best looking game on ps4 right now. Beautiful doesn't do it much justice because it looks that good. I have about 7 ps4 games and this one has to be the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome game, May 7, 2014
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)
This game is awesome. It's an adventurous game with great graphics. I would definitely recommend this game it does not disappoint. I wouldn't call my self a gamer since I rarely play video games. This game had me hooked. I have played tomb Raider games in the past and I have enjoyed them, this is the best of them all. The game took me a while to finish but again I'm not a gamer yet even after I beat the game I'm still playing it for all the things I missed. It's fun get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tomb Raider to date, July 21, 2014
Cim (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)
I've played all the Tomb Raiders since the beginning. This is most definitely a breath of fresh air and possibly the best game of the whole series mainly because of the variety of things you can do.

Some thoughts:
- Lots more to do other than climbing platforms and jumping around.
- A solid well thought out story that keeps you going.
- Stealth, shooting, archery, melee combat...its all here for you to enjoy to some degree.
- Lots of stuff to go back and collect. The save system works very well.
- Lots of stuff to upgrade and skills to acquire which sort of gives an RPG element to the game.
- Sounds, music, voice acting and graphics are amazing.
- Gameplay...and this is important: the gameplay is fun and the quicktime events and combat do not detract from exploring or figuring out the puzzles in the game.

I was very skeptic when I bought this game but after putting in double digit hours I can say its worth every penny I paid for and enjoyed every minute of the game. Great return for a classic series. I hope Crystal Dynamics continues with a sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Find your inner explorer, June 3, 2014
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)
Excellent game with much to do , if youre into indiana jones, the goonies, etc. Youll really appreciate this game plus did i mention the combat is great a warzone at times,hone your skills and excel,story is well written and the mature rating keeps the franchise fresh and still tasteful considering how a lot of media goes on el rape route, it keeps you on edge when playing something like metal gear solid when it comes to taking out people quietly,cool choice of costumes to change into,and your weapons can be upgraded when you collect salvage and find parts to step it up, cool areas to explore and interaction is fun and depends on your wits,buy this game or your tomb should say never played tomb raider,plus it looks like another title is in the works,2 thumbs way up

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, but weak dialogue and DLC., May 21, 2014
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)
This game looks incredible on the PS4, but some weak storyline and dialogue writing make this a subpar experience to the Uncharted series for sure. Still, are plenty of new additions to gameplay and combat here that set it apart from other platformers, and the surprise twists throughout the game are exciting and keep you engaged for hours. I was pleasantly surprised by the length of the main story, which I beat after a couple days in 2-3 hour sessions. The DLC leaves a lot to be desired. Its really just a collection of very uninteresting costumes! The multiplayer is pretty undercooked as well.

All in all though, this is a fun single player experience for anyone who loves adventure games and great environments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, May 19, 2014
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)
I just received this game and have only played it for a couple of hours so far, but I must say that this game is amazing! I was totally blown away by the graphics and the fluidity of everything! I have CoD: Ghosts, NFS: Rivals, and The Amazing Spider-man 2, and I love them all, but none of them can hold a candle to Tomb Raider when it comes to graphics, its like controlling a character in a movie. The attention to detail is just amazing, you can see the individual strands of Lara's hair when she moves and the water beading on her skin etc. This is definitely an exciting example of the greatness of what is to come for the PS4 and a must have for everyones game collection! PSN: ChaosBoy1975

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition by Square Enix (PlayStation 4)
$39.99