4.0 out of 5 stars Great game.. a bit pricey for an "upgraded port" though
The PS4/XBox One version of Tomb Raider has caused a bit of drama. Tomb Raider was originally released on the PS3/Xbox 360 a little under a year ago -- when they announced the PS4 port so quick to the actual release date (announced Dec 7th, released late January), combined with the fact that it would retail at full price, it caused a bit of negative press...
Published 5 months ago by MiRSD

3.0 out of 5 stars Great visuals... horrible save game corrupting bugs
Replaying this game after thoroughly enjoying the original on PS3. Same great gameplay now with a fantastic graphical upgrade that really shows off the horsepower of the new generation of systems.

Published 3 months ago by A. Rosenberger

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game.. a bit pricey for an "upgraded port" though, January 28, 2014
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)

Right off the bat, this is for the most part a port of the current version. There have been upgrades to it along the way (lighting, textures, hair effects) but the game was not re-made from scratch for the next-gen versions. The original game did already look really good on the PS3/360, but there is a noticeable difference still. If you're looking for "new stuff" in this version, it's unfortunately not there.

I own the PS3 and PS4 versions and have put about 12-16 hours into the PS4 version as of this review (game completed with 67%).

The PS4 version runs at 1080p, 60fps (it may dip below that a bit, particularly in the very wide-open environments but I don't have any way of confirming the framerate. For me, it seemed to run fine, just not quite as smooth as some of the smaller locations).
The PS4 version also includes all of the DLC from the original release (different costumes, multiplayer extras, etc..) -- this was nice to have included with it (as it would surely upset people if it hadnt been), but the content is still pretty basic.

The PS4 version does make use of the new controller -- you can swipe up on the touchpad to light the torch, down to put it out.. you can use voice controls to bring up map, switch weapons, etc.. The controller LED also seems to change colors at points in the game (unfortunately, playing the game you rarely ever see the LED colors on the front of the controller, so I don't know how useful this feature is :) ). Lastly, some audio does seem to come out of the controllers' speaker (such as radio dialog during cutscenes). My verdict on these: I used the touchpad, didn't use voice controls and didn't really notice the controller speaker as much (unless the TV was on mute). It seems much more noticeable when used in other games such as Resogun. I didn't pay attention to the LED, but did see it changing colors from time to time.

The gameplay itself is great. Probably one of my favorite (single player -- I didn't try Multiplayer) games in years. The story keeps you entertained, the upgrades along the way work very nicely (keeps it from being the same throughout - you actually want to upgrade weapons and find new weapons), the story/gameplay is fairly linear.. hard to get lost (even in wide open areas). There are some things you can do along the way: Hunting to build up experience, optional tombs to explore. My favorite part of the game is that it was constantly moving between types of gameplay.. exploring.. hunting.. puzzles.. shootouts.. quicktime events.. it never felt like I was stuck running around for 2 hours from location to location, the variety always mixed things up and kept the game fresh.

The game itself is worth fullprice to me.

For someone who has already played/owned the PS3/360 versions, this is simply a visual upgrade for the most part. The visual upgrade is VERY NICE, but it's hard to justify buying it again when it could have easily been a "HD VERSION" like we saw last gen. While some stuff is obviously upgraded, other aspects seem to look the same. Lara's model seems to be given the biggest upgrade (obviously), but other characters seem to be mostly the same. I never played the PC version, but imagine this is closer to what that looked like.

So is it worth it?

If you do not own it on another console, Yes. I would buy the PS4 version even though the PS3 version can be had for less than half the price.
If you do own it on another console, it's hard to justify at full price. I bought it because I loved the game and was happy to play through it again and see the changes.. but that's hard to suggest others do when its merely an upgraded version and not a full remake.

Note: The PS4 version is offered in 2 options.. Standard case or Artbook. The Artbook version is the one I bought, and included a DVD-Sized artbook with slipcover and a slot in the back of the artbook to hold the game disc. This is a bit disappointing as the case is oversized and doesn't match PS4 cases. The artbook is nice with some cool concept art though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Game, April 28, 2014
MightyCzar (Yuma , Arizona) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)
I wasn't sure what to expect but can honestly say that this was an amazing game. It was much longer and much more creative than I was expecting. I was hoping for a 10 hour Uncharted game with a female lead. It was much much more than that. I am now a Tomb Raider fan and will be purchasing the next addition, whenever that may be.

Note: I did not own or play the PS3 version. I only tried this one because there wasn't much available yet for PS4. Glad I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Leaves you sad it's over when you beat it., May 13, 2014
Adam J. Williams (Southeast, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)
Pros:
1. Great graphics
2. Great story
3. Great gameplay

Cons:
1. Buggy. Even months later on PS4 and a full year later on PS3, this game still has freeze bugs that can happen anywhere and any time. Even as far as corrupting game saves. Make regular backups to PSN or USB thumb.

I'd elaborate, but really the game just sort of speaks for itself when you play it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Game!!!!, February 24, 2014
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)
I didn't own this on any other system but the PS4 and I can honestly say this is the best game out right now. The gameplay is interesting and different. The different weapons and attachments keep the game from being dull. The game is also the best looking game on ps4 right now. Beautiful doesn't do it much justice because it looks that good. I have about 7 ps4 games and this one has to be the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, May 11, 2014
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)
It was the Best tomb raider story yet!!! It Needed more puzzle sequences. Not challenging enough for veteran tomb raider fans.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great visuals... horrible save game corrupting bugs, April 9, 2014
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)

Unfortunately, however, as of version 1.01 the game is still riddled with save game corrupting crashes that I had the misfortune of encountering last night. Eight hours of gameplay and 60% completion essentially flushed down the toilet.

The issue inexplicably occurs at the Shipwreck Beach portion of the game. Don't fast travel there, die there, quit the game there, etc. or you WILL lose all progress.

It's also highly recommended that you rotate saving in each save slot as you progress so you don't end up wasting too much valuable time that could have been better applied elsewhere if things go wrong.

Very sad to have what was otherwise a great experience marred by such issues. Hopefully Crystal Dynamics/Sony/Square Enix gets this sorted out in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one and only on PS4!!!, March 7, 2014
Frasier Crane (Fancy Gap, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)
The ps4 edition of Tomb Raider is as good (if not slightly better than) the ps3 version. The action and intensity of the game is outstanding, and well worth the money. Can't wait until the next Tomb Raider!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great updated graphics, February 16, 2014
Pamela (Fayetteville, AR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)
Just started playing, and it's noticeably better than its predecessors. I really like how the graphics have been updated, and Lara looks real sharp. Great game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game!, February 13, 2014
Mitchell (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)
I really like this game, great graphics and good story. I like the fact that it is an open world and I can explore on my own. The side tasks add more to the game and keep you interested.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Definitive, Wait for a Price Drop if Possible, February 7, 2014
Josh G. (Honolulu, HI USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Video Game)
This is the first tomb raider I've ever played, so I won't be comparing it to past releases in the franchise. I got the X360 version of this game as a Christmas present, so buying the PS4 version was no problem, however I do believe they should have made it $40 as most GOTY's or re-releases do. So here goes my review.

Usually it takes time for me to really get engaged into a game. This game, though. It grabs you by the neck from the very first cutscene and doesn't let go. It's one of those games that you can't wait to get home to play. Really well executed and the pacing is probably the best I've ever experienced.

Here are the two major points I will address, specific to the Definitive Edition:

1) Graphical Upgrade:
Oh my god, if you thought the first version was already smooth, you're in for a treat with the PS4 version. With a native 1080p output and a 60fps cap (meaning it will fluctuate between 45-60fps depending on what area you're at due to heavy rendering) the game is more beautiful than ever. Everything, every area, every objective, it always feels fresh and you easily get immersed into the virtual reality of this world. Even playing through for the second time, I feel like I haven't seen any of it before. The 60fps really does it for me. Combat, movement, gestures, cutscenes, smooth as butter. (Note: the X1 version runs locked 30fps, comparatively. Not saying I'm an X1 hater, after all I have one, just stating fact. I do however encourage you to get the PS4 version by all means.)

2) Lara Redesign:
Let's be real here. The reason many would prefer the first Lara face is because they won't be used to the new face, and that's understandable. My stance on it is that I always wondered why the in-game version of Lara looked so different compared to the cover/art versions. Her face was young but a bit disproportionate. In the DE she now looks like the cover/art versions and I love it. She looks more mature, natural, and more like... Lara Croft. The only quarrel I have is that they should have got it right the first time.

Now that those major points are out of the way, I'll briefly go over some basic ones, since you've probably read countless reviews on the gameplay and story and whatnot. The story is compelling enough to be believable and keep you wanting more. The gameplay is the highlight of this game beside the graphical upgrade, reminiscent of Assassins Creed and The Last of Us but even better. Controls are perfect and it's rare for me to find a third person shooter that has perfect aiming/sensitivity like this one. The pacing, like I said, is also perfect. Nothing feels rushed. Deaths are gruesome. Lara's character development is outstanding. Oh, I'm also in love with Lara's voice haha.

I will not be judging multiplayer as I haven't played it, and from the sound of it, I don't think I want to. I'm a story guy anyway so it doesn't affect me.

The DE comes with all DLC on disc. This is easily one of my favorite games of all time.

4.75/5 stars.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition by Square Enix (PlayStation 4)
$49.99 $44.99