5.0 out of 5 stars Lara's Brilliant Return
Published 22 months ago by Elias B.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent but not great
This game has the most brilliant opening. I found the first hour of the game so thrilling that as soon as I played the first hour, I started a new game to play it again. Unfortunately, the rest of the game didn't matched that build up.

Published 20 months ago by Bob

5.0 out of 5 stars Lara's Brilliant Return, March 6, 2013
This review is from: Tomb Raider (Video Game)
I might have been the harshest critic of the new direction Crystal Dynamics decided to take "Tomb Raider." There are several angry posts to my name across the web, talking about why this game would fail, and how it was a desecration to the franchise. After all, I grew up with Lara's series, and in fact, "Tomb Raider II" was the first video game I ever played. To this day, I thought that this would be a simplification of the timeless series, and a desperate attempt to make the series fit in with newcomers. Thankfully, I have been proven wrong. "Tomb Raider" is one of the venerable heroine's finest outings, and possibly the best action game since "Uncharted 2: Among Thieves."

We begin with Lara being trapped on an island, searching for her friends and being pursued by a menacing cult. But this isn't the cocky, oddly-proportioned character we're used to; this is before her official tomb raiding days, and the first major expedition she sets out on. As such, she is inexperienced and vulnerable, and the game chronicles her ascension from scared teen to powerful warrior. Now, you might think the trailers give away the plot, but you'd be dead wrong. The story is every bit as strange and wonderful as some of the earlier games, containing unpredictable twists and surprising supernatural elements. It would be a crime to spoil it, but let's just that fans of the old games need not worry; Crystal Dynamics (developers of Legend through Underworld) still know what this franchise is all about, narrative-wise, and they hit the nail right on the head.

Special props should go to Rihanna Pratchett, writer of the woefully underrated "Heavenly Sword", for making Lara into one of the most empowering female role models ever crafted. Even in her weakest states, she is never a victim, always resourceful and one step ahead of everyone else. Through the story, we see her learn from mistakes, and turn into what we typically think of as Lara Croft. Special little nods the series' roots, right down to the origin of her signature silver pistols, add in flavor to her character, and turn into a much deeper protagonist than she has ever been. Even as somebody who loves the old character, I must say that Pratchett has actually made me prefer this interpretation of her. Full-speed ahead with this new Lara, I say; she's smart, cheeky, and powerful, which is exactly what she's supposed to be.

Fans' biggest concern about this new entry, however, was undoubtedly the gameplay. The seemingly liberal inclusion of Quick Time Events, and the deceptively linear design of showcased levels both indicated an unwelcome change. However, it turns out we were only drip-fed bits and pieces of different levels. The game itself is an entirely different matter, because it is teeming with as many secrets as the old games, if not more. While it is easy to simply follow the set path, there are numerous alternate routes to pursue in search of loot, and even entire optional tombs. These tombs are more in line with the classic puzzles we're used to, fun little mind teasers that are a great distraction for old-school fans. Whether you want to get to the point or indulge in some side quests, this game has got you covered.

As far as the gameplay itself is concerned, Crystal Dynamics has unquestionably changed the formula for the better. Platforming is now much more tight and urgent than ever before, requiring the precision fans are used to. While it is significantly easier than past entries, the sheer creativity that went into the dynamic set pieces more than make up for it, and it isn't necessarily as streamlined as the demos make it seem. Attention still must be paid at all time, and once you get past the initial 2 to 3 hours, the game stops holding your hand and expects you to dive head-first into somewhat tricky platforming, fully prepared to punish you with brutal deaths if you fail.

The biggest overhaul by far, though, is in the combat department. Now, even as a fan of the series, combat in "Tomb Raider" has always... well, it's always kind of sucked. Even the improvements in Legend couldn't quite find a way to balance platforming and shooting up enemies. However, the developers have learned from their mistakes, creating a seamless blend of platforming and TPS mechanics that must be played to be believed. There's also a leveling component that really makes or breaks the combat; your survival is dependent on scrounging for salvage and strengthening your weapons. Most games mess this mechanic up pretty badly with upgrades that are seemingly meaningless, but this is pleasantly a whole different bag altogether.

Even more impressive is how important each weapon is, some being required to solve puzzles and progress the game. My personal favorite is the bow, which can be used as a distraction, a stealth weapon, a capable frontal assault companion, or a key to burning open pathways. Oh, yes, and it can be used to choke enemies from behind. This is just one example of the versatility weapons have in this game. Heck, even the climbing axe ends up becoming a lethal tool of destruction...

Graphically, the game excels. While some may argue that the rendering power is not on par with some other AAA titles around today, it only takes one look at the brilliant art direction to sway non-believers. The mysterious island and all of its secrets are a marvel to behold, a mixture of jungle, forest, and even desert-esque canyons. Shanty towns and elaborate Asian temples alike comprise the architecture of the island, and ominous tunnels range from wet rock to a disgusting river of blood and corpses. The key word here is "variety", really, as most locations tend to not look the same one bit. Older entries had to span multiple countries in order to convey a sense of changed locale, but this time around, they only needed one island to create a living, breathing world. It's a wonder to behold, and one of the most unforgettable video game environments ever crafted.

Soundscapes are another strong point here. The background noise is convincing, with the caws of birds seemingly surrounding you, and the distant war cries of enemies preparing you for battle. You'll always be sucked right into the action, regardless of the situation. Ditto for the score, which is surprisingly similar to the early games; it's tense and dramatic, but always has an element of mystique to it. It is one of the rare video game soundtracks that doesn't simply blend in, but stands out and demands you pay attention to it.

The new voice of Lara is also wonderful, and I daresay the best portrayal done yet. Sure, we see the frightened and timid girl advertisements seem to highlight, but we get hints of what is to come with the character. Moments of wry sarcasm between her and her shipmates, as well as her cheeky observations and bold proclamations of assault on her enemies, are pure 90's "Tomb Raider." The game lets you know what to expect in future entries, and this is due in large part to this fantastic performance. Kudos to Camilla Luddington for a performance which is sure to be lavished with awards in the coming months.

As mentioned above, I was a complete non-believer with this entry. I feared that one of my favorite franchises was cashing in on cheap gameplay mechanics and a weak plot, while shedding what old-school fans adored about the games in the first place. Luckily, I was proven to be a complete fool. Square Enix has released a game that not only reminds me why I fell for Lara and her exploits, but why I love video games as well. The story is a brilliant tour-de-force, the gameplay is perfect, it's a feast for the eyes and ears, and the protagonist is one of the best in a very long time. Everything about this game, from top to bottom, is positively flawless. There is not a single ill word I can speak of the game, whatsoever.

Filled with enough nods to the series' history to satiate diehards, but with enough innovation to snag newcomers, this is a game that shows Crystal Dynamics is the perfect developer for this household name series. "Tomb Raider" is an instant classic, and should be a benchmark for which all future action games are played. It is utterly perfect on every possible level, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Story: 10
Gameplay: 10
Graphics: 10
Sound: 10
Overall: 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Tomb Raider 2.0, March 8, 2013
Jase "Jase25" (Granite Falls, NC United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 1:35 Mins

Got this collector's set and I'm far from disappointed...In fact this is the best collector's set I've ever purchased for a video game. I mean there is usually is something in one of these sets that makes me feel like, "I paid $99 for that???" In this case I feel I got my money's worth and then some. The Game itself retails for $60 (for right now) and for the extra $39 you get a beautiful Play Arts Kai figure (which can retail for $50 and up) that is exclusive to this set...a hardcover Art Book, 3 Patches, two different Download Code cards for skins, weapon packs, extra playable characters in multiplayer mode, as well as a new map, a huge poster/map, a 5x7 Lithograph (very nice), a CD Soundtrack from the game (actual CD, not a download), plus all this is housed in a large metal tin case. So for and extra $39 you get tons of swag which is a refreshing change for the fanboy or collector. I've only played about an hour or two into the game in single player mode and I can honestly say...it is by far the most visually striking game I've played in years. ...and I've been gaming since the Atari 2600...so over 35 years. Nothing to date has even come close. The controls are smooth and reactive, frame rates are incredible, Voice acting is top notch and draws you in, the story so far is extremely compelling, and the backgrounds and environments are lush, stunning, and beautiful...and there are times I find myself just having Lara stand there while I look around and check everything out. I imagine you could run through this game like a bat out of hell and go from one point to the next as quickly as possible...but why would you?? You would really be doing yourself a disservice by missing out on such a piece of video gaming art. So, 5 stars, 2 thumbs up, 3 snaps and twist...however you wish to rate it, Lara has all the makings of Game of the Year...and it's just March. I can only hope this brings Ms. Croft back to the forefront of gaming icons that has been in the need of such a reboot shot in the arm.

This my friends is as good as it gets. Just to give you an idea...My wife, has zero love for video games...none. She saw me put the disc in my PS3 and load up...and I swear I could see her sigh extremely hard. Then after about 30 minutes she was pointing out things like, "I saw something glowing over there...no turn around...up there...grab that, right there." Then the unspeakable happened when I shut down and saved my game...I heard, "Your turning it off now?...well are you going to play it tomorrow?"....so after I pick my jaw up off the floor...."Yes, hon...we'll play more tomorrow." The fist pump and loud "yes!" were all in my head, but it was just as meaningful as if I shouted it out loud. Yeah...it's a winner. ~ Jase

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressions from a fan of "The Descent" (the horror movie) and the "Uncharted" series (campaign review), March 6, 2013
Amazon Customer (Somersworth, New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tomb Raider (Video Game)
I've never spent much time playing the "Tomb Raider" series, but this reboot did all the right things, and it drew me right in. This modern take on the famous franchise takes inspiration from many great sources- my first impression, oddly enough, was of "Resident Evil 4" (a classic so significant, it's still influencing the gaming landscape). The early goings of "Tomb Raider" have a distinctly "survival horror" vibe that is masterfully conveyed, interspersed with just the right amounts of Quick Time Events, cinematic showpieces, character development, story telling, and gameplay tutorials. Additionally, it reminded me of the fantastic island of the TV show, "Lost" (complete with freaky natives and bunkers!).

The most striking comparison, of course, is that of the "Uncharted" series. "Tomb Raider" obviously existed long before "Uncharted", but it's equally obvious that it drew inspiration from the mechanics of climbing, combat, and cinematic storytelling of one of this generation's most successful series. And I'm not complaining at all- I wish there were more games like "Uncharted"! For the most part, "Tomb Raider" does a fantastic job implementing these elements, resulting in a game that is a blast to play and easy to pick up. Everything is very responsive, the settings are visually vibrant and interesting, and the island is begging for more thorough searching. The inclusion of TONS of unlockables is a genius notion, including documents (which help to further unfurl the mystery of the island), artifacts, and salvage (for weapon and gear upgrades), and it means crazy amounts of replay value... plus the online multiplayer aspect, if that strikes your fancy.

The only thing holding "Tomb Raider" back from five stars is that when pitted up against the unrivaled production values of "Uncharted", it falls a shade short. The characters are noticeably lacking compared to the likes of Nathan, Sully, and Elena, and the presentation just seems a bit "off". There's such an emphasis placed on (literal and figurative) darkness and grittiness, I oftentimes had difficulty seeing what was going on around my character, and it actually had something of a demoralizing effect (particlarly when compared to the bright, tropical locales of "Uncharted"). That's not to say that "Tomb Raider" is a bad game- it's not. In reality, it's a very good game- it's just not among my top favorites.

Final note (MINOR spoilers follow): The producers of this game must be huge fans of the movie "The Descent", for there are many nods to the horror film, including Lara's affinity for the climbing axe, the "bone scramble" toward daylight in the opening moments, and the slow emergence from the red pool of ichor in "the pit". Additionally, Lara's psychological transformation closely mirrors that of "The Descent"'s protagonist. It was an excellent source to draw inspiration from, and the developers of "Tomb Raider" did a fine job of subtly paying homage to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game by why an "M" rating?, March 10, 2013
This review is from: Tomb Raider (Video Game)
First off, let me say that this game is a blast and I had a great time playing it. I have played almost all the TR games since the original in 1996. Also, I understand why the game received an "M" rating--the blood, gore, and language park it clearly in that category. My question is, why did Crystal Dynamics design this game with M-rated content when virtually all the other TR games were "T"? TR Underworld, the last installment in the series, was rated T16+. I have a pre teen daughter who loves Lara's character. For parents who take ratings seriously, they have blocked out a whole group of gamers who would love to play the game and experience Lara's origins. I know-and the developers know this of course--that teens will play the game anyway. While I have only played through about a quarter of it, I have gotten a good feel for the spirit of the game and for me, the "M" content--namely the added gore and the occasional "F bombs"--did not factor in how I experience the game. In fact, the factors that push the game into the "M zone" seem more like forced additions. While I am no marketing expert, I wonder why Crystal dynamics chose to go in this direction. The Uncharted games are all "T" and they are intense, thrilling games. Perhaps the creators of this new Tomb Raider want to distinguish this game from Uncharted and creat their own unique nitch instead of being labeled as "Uncharted 4." Comparing it to a movie, I would consider "M" the equivalent of an "R" rating. If it were a movie, I think a story like TR, with a young heroine trapped on an island, exploring tombs and fighting off bad guys, would be taylored toward a PG-13, not an R. I regret that the developers of the new TR decided to go in this direction as the game would have been just as fun with a "T" rating and would have been open to a teen audience which would really enjoy Lara's story.

Just to be clear, I am not offended by the game's content. In fact, it's becuase I like the game so much, that I've decided to write this review. I have played and enjoyed plenty of M rated games. It just seems that this great story of a young girl, barely older than a teen herself, being transformed by her survival experience is something worth watching and enjoying for a teen audience and I regret the game designers have, in a way, shut them out.

4.0 out of 5 stars "You can do this...You're a Croft.", December 16, 2013
This review is from: Tomb Raider (Video Game)
+ PROS:

+ An enjoyable 'gritty reboot' of the Tomb Raider series
+ Borrows gameplay elements from Batman: Arkham Asylum and the Uncharted games
+ Upgradable skills and weapons for the main game and multiplayer mode

- CONS:

- Tomb puzzles are almost too easy
- Several missable trophies which can require another playthrough
- Multiplayer mode is unbalanced

PLOT:

Our introduction to Lara Croft isn't the battle-hardened Lara we've come to accept over the years - this is an origin story. It's her first journey, on the ship Endurance. Ignoring the advice of her companions, The Endurance heads into the Dragon's Triangle. The ship is pulled apart by a violent storm leaving the survivors stranded on an isolated island. Lara is separated from the others and wakes up in a room filled with human remains, but manages to escape while a cave collapses around her. As Lara emerges on the side of a cliff, she sees the skeletal remains of ships on the shore below.
She's wounded, tired, and alone...and her adventure is just beginning.

GAMEPLAY:

As with other games in the old series, Tomb Raider is presented as a 3rd person adventure game, with some stealth elements. When we first start out, we have no weapons, no special skills, and no tutorial level to practice jumping in Lara's mansion, as we had in the 1996 version. No, we're put right into the action here. We have to learn how to hunt, find weapons, and scavenge for upgrades.

Lara can upgrade 9 different survival skills, 8 hunter skills, and 7 brawler skills. Throughout the island, there are hidden tombs which hold treasure maps, and other goodies.

Some areas are inaccessible until we unlock certain upgrades (such as the shotgun for blasting through obstacle blockades, or the rope arrow to access certain areas).

In combat, we can either use long range weapons such as a bow or a shotgun, or we can get up close and personal with a pickaxe or a well-placed arrow to the knee. There are some Quick Time Events during battles which allow Lara to perform finishing moves, or special attacks to weaken her opponents.

The Quick Time Events also happen during cutscene transitions - so Lara might have to dodge a tree limb, avoid falling over a cliff, or punch someone with a well-timed press of a button. No rest for the weary.

Lara also has an ability called Survival Instinct - with the push of the L2 button, Lara can perceive nearby animals, hostiles, and even collectible items.

This is the first game in the Tomb Raider universe which offers a multiplayer mode. There are three campaigns:

(1) Team Deathmatch, a player-versus-player combat mode which lasts up to three separate matches.
(2) Private Rescue, where the survivors have to take medical supplies to a specific area, and the scavengers need to reach a certain number of kills, all within 10 minutes.
(3) Cry for Help, where the survivors search around and retrieve batteries for defended radio beacons while being hunted by the scavengers.

TROPHIES:

There are 51 trophies to earn in this game. Most of them revolve around collecting items like GPS caches, upgrading all your skills & weapons, finding all the hidden tombs, hunting certain animals and using specific weapons to rack up kills.

**NOTE: If you're a trophy collector, 3 of them are missable in this game, so be sure to look up the requirements before you start playing!**

15 of the trophies can only be earned in multiplayer mode. They run the spectrum from killing two people with one explosion, to reviving a teammate, to buying all upgrades & character models.

PROS:

I wasn't sure what to expect with a 'gritty reboot' of the Tomb Raider series, but I was very pleased with the result. I was able to identify with this character much easier than her 1996 counterpart. In that game, Lara was shooting bats and bears with her two-handed pistols (and their infinite ammunition) before 10 minutes had passed. Here, I didn't even start with a knife!

This game uses the same dynamic as Batman: Arkham Asylum. When you first start out, you're not the battle-hardened Lara - she's scared, and she's inexperienced. I got killed more times than I care to admit. But while the game progressed and Lara became more accustomed to using her skills, I found myself becoming a more skilled combatant, which lead to me enjoying the story all the more.

In the Uncharted series, we've been able to see all our collectible treasures in a separate window, and Tomb Raider also lets us do this. We can rotate the items or reread documents at our leisure, just like Drake. The folks at Crystal Dynamics clearly saw what worked for the games by Rocksteady Studios and Naughty Dog, Inc., and brought those elements together for an enjoyable Tomb Raider experience.

I liked the upgrade system here. You have to gather experience by either hunting, exploring or combat. You can also use salvageable materials to fashion better weapons. I upgraded my survivor skills first to live off the land and gain experience faster, but there are excellent benefits to becoming a more efficient hunter or brawler.

CONS:

Firstly, I didn't find the tomb puzzles very complicated. Many of them require the player to pay attention to elements like timing or weight-distribution. A seasoned Tomb-Raider player from the 90s might find them overly simple, but for a person that's never played any of the previous games, these puzzles will present a few challenges. However, once you solve one, the others are very similar.

Next, the trophies. A few of the trophies can only be earned during the single-player story. Because this game auto-saves, if you complete the game and miss your opportunity, you'll have to start the game all over again. There are three confirmed missable trophies, but thankfully, there's more than enough guides online to walk you through getting them. If you're not a trophy hunter, this isn't too big of a problem.

Finally, the multiplayer mode. In my experience, this mode was horribly unbalanced. The first few times I played, I was matched up with opponents anywhere from level 31 to level 60, while I was a lowly level 1. My enemies had perfected their skills of jump-shotting around corners and under bridges, and could take out enemies on a rope slide with one arrow.
But me? I was having trouble figuring out basic elements like swapping between my rifle and my grenades!

As I slowly improved, I found that 95% of my quick joins to multiplayer put me into Team Deathmatch, which seems to get the most traffic. It's hard to get a bead on someone when they're jumping around like Peter Cottontail, and when you're a low-level player, this means your weapons will have a slow reload time...so you'll be used as target practice for the more experienced players.

THE GLITCH REPORT:

Thankfully, my game experience had very few glitches.

In one sequence, Lara had to fix an elevator. When I fixed it, I couldn't get inside the elevator without instantly dying for no apparent reason.
My next glitch came in the Summit Forest, Lara's Survival Instinct stopped working and I had to reboot the game to fix it...going back to the main menu didn't correct the issue.
The last glitch was at Shipwreck Beach...everything was in slow-motion when I arrived. I had to reboot the game and thankfully this didn't happen again.

FINAL VERDICT:

I thoroughly enjoyed this gritty reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise. The main story was pretty linear, but there was more than enough backtracking to pick up missing objects and optional challenges to give it an open-ended feel. The combat was easy to adapt to, the music was epic, and the scenery was absolutely breathtaking.

I didn't care for the multiplayer modes, but I would highly recommend this to adventure gamers, especially folks who like the Uncharted series.

Rated M for blood & gore, intense violence and strong language. Several of the death scenes are very graphic in nature - parental discretion is definitely advised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tomb Raider: Must Have Edition, March 20, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I chose the Best Buy edition of the game, for the comic book and I preferred the aviatrix skin over the other exclusive offers, only because it reminded me of Katniss from the movie Hunger games.
The comic book actually exceeded my expectations, my last experience with a collectors edition comic book (e.g. Infamous 2 Collector's Edition), did not add anything to the game experience, so it was a nice surprise, mostly because it fleshed out the characters of the crew.
If you have to choose between editions, in my honest opinion I would choose Best Buy, for the comic book.
Everything about the collector's edition was a nice surprise, as other reviewers has stated, I've never been so satisfied with a collector's edition.
-Play Arts Kai, 8" action figure, very highly detailed figure, dried blood stains and dirt covers Lara Croft. I've also not seen the type of attention to quality before, and I collect mostly NECA action figures. The figure alone sells for about the same price as the game, a good deal.
-Physical game soundtrack, I was not bowled over by the game soundtrack, this coming from a person who enjoys listening to game soundtracks (Skyward Sword, Catherine, Infamous 2, God of War), to me it sounded generic, but still appreciated.
-DLC weapons for multiplayer from the Hitman game.
-Shanty Town stage for multiplayer.
When I try to force myself to play multiplayer, I have not been able to find other players (maybe everyone is too busy enjoying single player, I wouldn't blame them).
-It also comes with 3 iron on badges, at first I thought that they would be sheets to iron on a T-shirt, but these are physical patches or badges that can be iron or sewed on to whatever cloth material you'd like.
-Lithograph artwork of Lara, that I'm proud to display on my dry-erase board.
-All of these are housed in a metal container, other unboxing from youtube I noticed the cover of the container can be separated, but mine came hinged, another pleasant surprise.

The game is gorgeous, I've played a lot of games to a point where a family member who happen to walk by are completely not aware, this is the game I've played in a long time, where a family member would stop what she is doing, to watch me play the game, because the environment is amazing, and the character is a strong, smart female lead. I was unaware that they hired an actress for Tomb Raider, I started to remember the Tomb Raider game "actresses" they've hired in the past, this new actress is definitely a nice change of pace, and I hope that they sell enough copies to acknowledge their amazing work and decisions so that they can keep making these type of games. The story and gameplay is very well balanced, and overall package of the collector's edition is the most well thought out, that I've experienced from a collector's edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gaming icon returns in a big way., January 20, 2014
This review is from: Tomb Raider (Video Game)
Despite the games being huge when they first came out, I never played a full Tomb Raider game. I played a demo for TR2, and a demo for the first one that was on the Dreamcast, and that was it. The games never seemed that fun to me, and it felt like the only reason the games were as popular as they were was because of the main character's appearance. Something happened though when I saw footage from the 2013 reboot of the franchise. Everything I saw looked incredible. Lara Croft had a regular body type! The story sounded interesting! Gameplay looked fun and realistic! How was this a Tomb Raider game?? Last year I had a lot of other games that I was busy playing, and I ended the year by picking up TR for a stupidly low price. Very rarely do I stick to playing one game when I buy it. Usually I'll go off and finish up something in another game, be it trophies or trying to get an extra item or something. With Tomb Raider, I stuck with it from beginning to end. I don't just give out 5 star ratings for games, and I'm not anti-mainstream, but most of the major titles don't catch my interest. I'm very happy to say that Tomb Raider is a 5 star game, and one that I look forward to completing 100%.

As usual, you play the role of Lara Croft, a young adventurer who gets shipwrecked on the island of Yamatai with several other people. This is no tropical paradise- the locales carry automatic guns and machetes, dangerous animals are on the prowl, and the terrain is just plain hazardous. The main plot focuses on an ancient Japanese queen, Himiko, who led the Yamatai empire and was able to control the weather with mysterious powers. One of the other survivors, Sam, happens to be a descendant of Himiko, and early in the game, she's taken away by a man named Matthias, who claimed to be a teacher that was also stranded on the island. Things go from bad to even worse when Lara begins to explore the island while looking for her friends, and discovers the truth about Himiko and what Matthias is after.

From what I've heard, Tomb Raider plays out a lot like an Uncharted game. Unfortunately, I've never played any of those! But now I want to, given how incredible this game is. I haven't had this much fun playing a full fledged AAA title in a long time. Usually I don't have much time to play games during the work week, but this is one of those games that made me put aside a little extra time now and then just to keep going along. The story had my interest from the beginning, and I was curious to see what was going to happen next. Not only is the story good- the game is fun as heck. Lara only gets 4 main weapons- the bow, an assault rifle, a shotgun and a pistol, and each one is nice to have. As you progress, you'll find salvage parts to upgrade your weapons, although you'll also need to find specific weapon parts in boxes and on corpses to upgrade them to their full power. It's not very often that I run around the entire map looking for more parts to upgrade something, and yet that's exactly what I did with Tomb Raider because I -did- want to see everything that each weapon had to offer.

Lara gains experience from killing enemies and animals, as well as finding treasures and documents scattered on the island and in hidden tombs. It's kinda funny that raiding tombs, the main point of the franchise, is optional here. It rewards you with a lot of experience though, and each one, while not difficult, gives you a break from the action with solving a quick puzzle. Killing an enemy with a headshot nets more experience, and you can really stack up the exp points by blowing up a red barrel when a group happens to be standing by it (this doesn't happen much, unlike most action games). Hunting animals starts out by being necessary to Lara's survival, as she needs food during a plot point. Once you kill your first deer, it becomes kind of addicting to chase after other animals and take them out. I liked that killing animals or enemies with the bow lets you pull your arrows out of the body to put them back in your inventory. I also appreciated that the bow is a strong weapon, as it should be- too often in games, the bow is an underpowered weapon, when in fact, it's one of the best, strongest weapons ever made.

It took me about an hour before I really got the hang of things, getting used to the mechanics of the game, like QTE sequences and realizing that I was controlling Lara during certain parts, like when she's sliding down waterfall. Tomb Raider caught me by surprise when I learned that you actually get to control what Lara does 99% of the time. I figured this out near the very end of the game, when I thought to myself, "I'm surprised the game doesn't just do this part for you".

All of the animations, voice acting, music and visuals are outstanding. There were many times where I wished there was a way to view the world in first person mode, just to see details better. And you gotta love how Lara keeps her wounds as the game goes on. The poor girl gets messed up big time early on, and it just gets worse from there. When she sees her reflection for the first time, that's really when what she's been through sinks in.

I can't say you'll like this game if you love the older Tomb Raiders. As I mentioned earlier, I've never played any of them, or any of the Uncharted games. Maybe that's part of why I loved TR so much- it was something genuinely now for me. I've always wanted to go on an adventure somewhere and explore the land freely. Maybe it's time for me to go back a little and try out the Uncharted games, and maybe even get the Tomb Raider Trilogy to see how those games fare. Now that the price has dropped on TR big time, you don't have any excuses to not play it. Had I bought this for the original retail price when it came out, I wouldn't have been disappointed. 5 stars all around- an instant classic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent but not great, April 12, 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Tomb Raider (Video Game)

The game aims for realism. Gone are Lara's signature moves; in are some really gruesome kills and death sequences, especially Lara's. The entire arc of Lara becoming a hardened predator is great but it gets a little shaky at certain points during the game. There is a great emphasis on stealth and using the bow, but often killing one enemy with an arrow, sends the rest of the pack straight to Lara even though she is hidden. Lara has all this agility and climbing skills. It would have been awesome if she could've used them in some of the action sequences. And every time she sees a lost friend Lara is screaming out to them. What's the point of all the stealth if Lara is going to scream at the end of it?

One thing I absolutely hated was that the game is too full of cliches. There are just too many 'escape for the burning house' sequences and even more of the falling down an unexpected shaft. Lazy script. At one point Lara is unable to proceed because there is a wall of fire. She is forced to find an alternate route. But a few moments later a whole bunch of baddies have no issue what so ever with the fire and run right through it. Come on.

There are a host of other issues...puzzles are not challenging enough, Lara constantly obscures on-screen hints, Lara cant shoot from the hips, the aim sensitivity setting 1 or 10 make no difference, if Lara draws an arrow she has to fire it and cannot cancel it...This is not to say that the game is unplayable but they just prevent it from being top notch.

A comparison with Uncharted is inevitable. Clearly Uncharted is based on the original TR but Uncharted pushed the envelop so much further with each game. The new TR doesn't quite match up, let alone exceed Uncharted. But the first hour had that promise, which makes the rest of it a bigger disappointment for me than it probably is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tomb Raider is Reborn, February 10, 2014
This review is from: Tomb Raider (Video Game)
This is one of those rare video games that once you start, you can't stop until the end. I've been with the series since the beginning, and I loved the first one. It's what got me into gaming. This is an excellent way to bring back the series by recreating an iconic heroine. She's so realistic and the story is easy to understand. Not one of those ones were you have to play it over and over again just to get an glimpse of the storyline. The openworld thing, is pretty awesome. There is hunting in some locations such as Shipwreck beach and the coastal forest. You can hunt deer, rabbits, birds, crabs, boars, chickens and wolves. You gain salvage if you loot them, same with human enemies. The characters are great, even though you rarely see them throughout the game, you still connect with them. There are four weapons to be gained throughout the entire game. Those being Shotgun, Pistol, Assault Rife and of course the bow. Which is perfect for long distance sneak attacks. Enemies will hear gunshots in this game, there for turning up the sneakiness level of the game. Enemies can also become aware of you existence if you light fire near them, move too much, or are just plain out not hidden behind cover. You can shoot arrows into walls to distract them too if there are two, either talking to each other or facing each other. So of course they are going to notice they're friend dropping dead before them.
Also, take advantage of the environment. Use things around you to take out one, or an group of enemies. Those being, shooting gas tanks or an fire arrow into the flammable gas in the Geothermal Caverns.
Save your ammo if there are other ways to take out an unaware enemy. Either coming up behind them and preforming an stealth attack or shooting them with and arrow. *make sure it's not an fire arrow if there are others around, he'll catch fire and scream bloody murder until someone notices the fireball of an guy*
Anyways, also,

Graphics 5/5, the worlds are gorgeous

Gameplay: 4/5 Often when with an interactive cutscene where you have to run across an crumbling bridge or something like that, Lara will freeze up and refuse to jump forward. I've encountered this an few times.

The music is eery and creepy. Gives the right feeling for being trapped on an island.

Multi player.

I've played multi player an few times since owning it, and didn't think they were great. You'll start out on like an killing rampage, trying to take down the other team, but that's impossible when they are bouncing all over the screen at lightening spped. There's like an big glitch here. Or sometimes you cannot mine salvage boxes you come across. And at some point your character will start flying all over the place and you have no control. But you don't dare quit cause it takes long to even get into session. So bottom line, I personally thought multi player sucked for all the glitches.

But otherwise. I definitely recommend this game. It's my all time favorite ps3 game next to Uncharted

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Tomb Raider!, November 5, 2013
Elton Lee (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tomb Raider (Video Game)
This is my first Tomb Raider game. I have never played the previous installments before because it looks like a kiddie game. But fast forward to 2013 and you have a reboot Tomb Raider that dwarfed the old tomb raider games. I got it when it came out in March. And I just finished another play through today.

HD graphics, captivating story, great action sequence, mesmerizing soundtrack and awesome gameplay it kept me glued to the screen from start to finish. I have tons of fun playing TR. In total I have finished the game 4 rounds, 3 in hard mode and 1 in normal mode (when I first played the game). I couldn't get enough of the game so I amped up the difficulties and much to my surprise the hard mode is not that difficult at all.

I had a blast upgrading my weapons and survival skills throughout the game. The side challenge to collect various items in the game was a nice addition to the main gameplay. Love this new Tomb Raider which was rated M. I love the realistic killing, the gun fight, using the bow was also a blast for silent kill.

The japanese floklore theme that was used in the game was really interesting and eye opening. It was a pleasant surprised I must say. It adds the suspense and dark elements to the game. Really interesting. The traversing, jumping, hanging, rolling, shimmering gameplay was great as well.

Lara's ship shipwrecked near an unknown island, she and her crew survives the ordeal but escaping the island is a real challenge. Playing Lara exploring the entire island from the mountain top to the beach side is an exhilarating adventure.

I love this game to heart and recommend it to everyone. I'm sure with the tremendous success of the game, the developer will make Tomb Raider 2. I am looking forward for it with great anticipation.

Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider by Square Enix (PlayStation 3)
$29.99