Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Video Game|Change
Price:$16.99+ $3.99 shipping

on March 6, 2013
I might have been the harshest critic of the new direction Crystal Dynamics decided to take "Tomb Raider." There are several angry posts to my name across the web, talking about why this game would fail, and how it was a desecration to the franchise. After all, I grew up with Lara's series, and in fact, "Tomb Raider II" was the first video game I ever played. To this day, I thought that this would be a simplification of the timeless series, and a desperate attempt to make the series fit in with newcomers. Thankfully, I have been proven wrong. "Tomb Raider" is one of the venerable heroine's finest outings, and possibly the best action game since "Uncharted 2: Among Thieves."

We begin with Lara being trapped on an island, searching for her friends and being pursued by a menacing cult. But this isn't the cocky, oddly-proportioned character we're used to; this is before her official tomb raiding days, and the first major expedition she sets out on. As such, she is inexperienced and vulnerable, and the game chronicles her ascension from scared teen to powerful warrior. Now, you might think the trailers give away the plot, but you'd be dead wrong. The story is every bit as strange and wonderful as some of the earlier games, containing unpredictable twists and surprising supernatural elements. It would be a crime to spoil it, but let's just that fans of the old games need not worry; Crystal Dynamics (developers of Legend through Underworld) still know what this franchise is all about, narrative-wise, and they hit the nail right on the head.

Special props should go to Rihanna Pratchett, writer of the woefully underrated "Heavenly Sword", for making Lara into one of the most empowering female role models ever crafted. Even in her weakest states, she is never a victim, always resourceful and one step ahead of everyone else. Through the story, we see her learn from mistakes, and turn into what we typically think of as Lara Croft. Special little nods the series' roots, right down to the origin of her signature silver pistols, add in flavor to her character, and turn into a much deeper protagonist than she has ever been. Even as somebody who loves the old character, I must say that Pratchett has actually made me prefer this interpretation of her. Full-speed ahead with this new Lara, I say; she's smart, cheeky, and powerful, which is exactly what she's supposed to be.

Fans' biggest concern about this new entry, however, was undoubtedly the gameplay. The seemingly liberal inclusion of Quick Time Events, and the deceptively linear design of showcased levels both indicated an unwelcome change. However, it turns out we were only drip-fed bits and pieces of different levels. The game itself is an entirely different matter, because it is teeming with as many secrets as the old games, if not more. While it is easy to simply follow the set path, there are numerous alternate routes to pursue in search of loot, and even entire optional tombs. These tombs are more in line with the classic puzzles we're used to, fun little mind teasers that are a great distraction for old-school fans. Whether you want to get to the point or indulge in some side quests, this game has got you covered.

As far as the gameplay itself is concerned, Crystal Dynamics has unquestionably changed the formula for the better. Platforming is now much more tight and urgent than ever before, requiring the precision fans are used to. While it is significantly easier than past entries, the sheer creativity that went into the dynamic set pieces more than make up for it, and it isn't necessarily as streamlined as the demos make it seem. Attention still must be paid at all time, and once you get past the initial 2 to 3 hours, the game stops holding your hand and expects you to dive head-first into somewhat tricky platforming, fully prepared to punish you with brutal deaths if you fail.

The biggest overhaul by far, though, is in the combat department. Now, even as a fan of the series, combat in "Tomb Raider" has always... well, it's always kind of sucked. Even the improvements in Legend couldn't quite find a way to balance platforming and shooting up enemies. However, the developers have learned from their mistakes, creating a seamless blend of platforming and TPS mechanics that must be played to be believed. There's also a leveling component that really makes or breaks the combat; your survival is dependent on scrounging for salvage and strengthening your weapons. Most games mess this mechanic up pretty badly with upgrades that are seemingly meaningless, but this is pleasantly a whole different bag altogether.

Even more impressive is how important each weapon is, some being required to solve puzzles and progress the game. My personal favorite is the bow, which can be used as a distraction, a stealth weapon, a capable frontal assault companion, or a key to burning open pathways. Oh, yes, and it can be used to choke enemies from behind. This is just one example of the versatility weapons have in this game. Heck, even the climbing axe ends up becoming a lethal tool of destruction...

Graphically, the game excels. While some may argue that the rendering power is not on par with some other AAA titles around today, it only takes one look at the brilliant art direction to sway non-believers. The mysterious island and all of its secrets are a marvel to behold, a mixture of jungle, forest, and even desert-esque canyons. Shanty towns and elaborate Asian temples alike comprise the architecture of the island, and ominous tunnels range from wet rock to a disgusting river of blood and corpses. The key word here is "variety", really, as most locations tend to not look the same one bit. Older entries had to span multiple countries in order to convey a sense of changed locale, but this time around, they only needed one island to create a living, breathing world. It's a wonder to behold, and one of the most unforgettable video game environments ever crafted.

Soundscapes are another strong point here. The background noise is convincing, with the caws of birds seemingly surrounding you, and the distant war cries of enemies preparing you for battle. You'll always be sucked right into the action, regardless of the situation. Ditto for the score, which is surprisingly similar to the early games; it's tense and dramatic, but always has an element of mystique to it. It is one of the rare video game soundtracks that doesn't simply blend in, but stands out and demands you pay attention to it.

The new voice of Lara is also wonderful, and I daresay the best portrayal done yet. Sure, we see the frightened and timid girl advertisements seem to highlight, but we get hints of what is to come with the character. Moments of wry sarcasm between her and her shipmates, as well as her cheeky observations and bold proclamations of assault on her enemies, are pure 90's "Tomb Raider." The game lets you know what to expect in future entries, and this is due in large part to this fantastic performance. Kudos to Camilla Luddington for a performance which is sure to be lavished with awards in the coming months.

As mentioned above, I was a complete non-believer with this entry. I feared that one of my favorite franchises was cashing in on cheap gameplay mechanics and a weak plot, while shedding what old-school fans adored about the games in the first place. Luckily, I was proven to be a complete fool. Square Enix has released a game that not only reminds me why I fell for Lara and her exploits, but why I love video games as well. The story is a brilliant tour-de-force, the gameplay is perfect, it's a feast for the eyes and ears, and the protagonist is one of the best in a very long time. Everything about this game, from top to bottom, is positively flawless. There is not a single ill word I can speak of the game, whatsoever.

Filled with enough nods to the series' history to satiate diehards, but with enough innovation to snag newcomers, this is a game that shows Crystal Dynamics is the perfect developer for this household name series. "Tomb Raider" is an instant classic, and should be a benchmark for which all future action games are played. It is utterly perfect on every possible level, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Story: 10
Gameplay: 10
Graphics: 10
Sound: 10
Overall: 10
2626 comments|222 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2013
Got this collector's set and I'm far from disappointed...In fact this is the best collector's set I've ever purchased for a video game. I mean there is usually is something in one of these sets that makes me feel like, "I paid $99 for that???" In this case I feel I got my money's worth and then some. The Game itself retails for $60 (for right now) and for the extra $39 you get a beautiful Play Arts Kai figure (which can retail for $50 and up) that is exclusive to this set...a hardcover Art Book, 3 Patches, two different Download Code cards for skins, weapon packs, extra playable characters in multiplayer mode, as well as a new map, a huge poster/map, a 5x7 Lithograph (very nice), a CD Soundtrack from the game (actual CD, not a download), plus all this is housed in a large metal tin case. So for and extra $39 you get tons of swag which is a refreshing change for the fanboy or collector. I've only played about an hour or two into the game in single player mode and I can honestly say...it is by far the most visually striking game I've played in years. ...and I've been gaming since the Atari 2600...so over 35 years. Nothing to date has even come close. The controls are smooth and reactive, frame rates are incredible, Voice acting is top notch and draws you in, the story so far is extremely compelling, and the backgrounds and environments are lush, stunning, and beautiful...and there are times I find myself just having Lara stand there while I look around and check everything out. I imagine you could run through this game like a bat out of hell and go from one point to the next as quickly as possible...but why would you?? You would really be doing yourself a disservice by missing out on such a piece of video gaming art. So, 5 stars, 2 thumbs up, 3 snaps and twist...however you wish to rate it, Lara has all the makings of Game of the Year...and it's just March. I can only hope this brings Ms. Croft back to the forefront of gaming icons that has been in the need of such a reboot shot in the arm.

This my friends is as good as it gets. Just to give you an idea...My wife, has zero love for video games...none. She saw me put the disc in my PS3 and load up...and I swear I could see her sigh extremely hard. Then after about 30 minutes she was pointing out things like, "I saw something glowing over there...no turn around...up there...grab that, right there." Then the unspeakable happened when I shut down and saved my game...I heard, "Your turning it off now?...well are you going to play it tomorrow?"....so after I pick my jaw up off the floor...."Yes, hon...we'll play more tomorrow." The fist pump and loud "yes!" were all in my head, but it was just as meaningful as if I shouted it out loud. Yeah...it's a winner. ~ Jase
review image review image
44 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2014
Finally got around to playing this game and I can say I could have waited a big longer. I'll just hop right into this review and hope you enjoy it! Or hate it, either way, it's all my opinion. Finished the game in a surprising 8 hours and completed it to 68% (A lot of the tombs I stopped bothering with. I'd get the "DINGDING TOMB AHEAD!" pop up but I didn't even bother with 'em after I think 3? of them I found, more on that later). I've not read a single review for this game on here or elsewhere, so if I'm beating a dead horse, I apologize. I don't even know it yet These are just my points. Sorry if it's long

-Story-
Lara's Story-After this game, I'm convinced that the writing and dialogue and all the aspects of this game's story would make a decent movie but a overly linear game. It's too dramatic and takes itself too seriously. I found myself laughing at parts of the story where I'm supposed to feel tense or worried for Lara, (She jumps into the river of blood and pops her worried little head out, had me smiling from ear to ear. That's the kind of thing that would happen in a cartoon.) while other times I felt nothing as Lara mourned over her friends death. "OK, Lara. Knock off the emotional garbage of your friend's sacrifice and let's get back to the story.. even though this is the story."

Characters-The characters are boring and forgettable. They introduced me to all of them at once and I couldn't remember their names, faces, or how they even knew Lara or what they were even doing with her! Filming a movie or something I guess, I have no idea. If it's explained more in the game through the journals found or something I probably didn't find them. There was no build up of the characters for me to form any sort of opinion on them, other than the shady Doctor who was the only character other than Lara to actually have some sort of screen time to show me who they were.

Mythology-In terms of the actual history or mythology of Yamatai I quite liked it! I was however disappointed with how little it was shown and how overshadowed it was. I was interested in Himiko and what was going on with the storms and the Oni! I wanted more! Sadly, it's so overshadowed by gunfights and awkward but safe platforming. I wanted more and more from the story and I really wish they did more with Himiko and the Oni and mythology surrounding Yamatai. I thought that finding the journals from World War Two or people writing about the crazy storms was fun, I liked finding those.. however I think some spent too much time describing one aspect of the island, like a couple were just about how it was scary that no one could leave and 'something' was keeping them there. I got that point after the second journal, no need to keep reminding me that something is keeping us here.

The Oni/Stormguard-One thing that really set me up and made me excited was the Oni. The first encounter with them slaughtering your foes and then just POOF! Gone. That was awesome. I enjoyed that! I feared them. I'd have Lara manhandle some goons over the Oni any day. For the lack of Oni experiences after the first was disappointing. You don't see them again for another forever, but this is when you actually sneak past/fight them despite hearing multiple conversations from Goons talking about The Oni being nearby. Where'd they go? That's what I wanted to know! I wanted them to pop outta a wall and kill some people or just be seen or heard.
Then you finally see them again and this is what disappointed me most. The Doctor being lead by Mathias and Sam. "Go talk to them! We have their Queen now" or however the dialogue went. The Oni were just standing there, having a smoke break. What? These are the warrior samurai I was fearing? Two of them are just standing around waiting for trouble to happen! I thought they'd have some big entrance! A cloud of smoke! Something mystical or magical or something after all! These people have the power of living forever apparently but the Queen didn't give them any sort of cool and amazing powers or abilities? That's a let down. I stopped fearing them at that point. They're just more Goons to take down, nothing more.

Overall-At the end of this game, I don't even know why they bother slapping 'Tomb Raider' on the cover anymore. There was barely any actual Tomb Raiding going on. Tombs shouldn't be 'side' things to explore.. Tombs should come naturally. You don't run around on a beach and BAM! Tomb to go in! No! Tombs are what you find along the way! They hold something or have a purpose to them. Not for XP or parts, but for something to help evolve the story. In any case, this game was about Lara Croft and her melodramatic journey on Yamatai.
The sequel looks the same way too! What was the trailer about? Lara in some therapists office. Lara shooting some guy with an arrow. It's Lara again, and she's back! Ready for more gunfights, obvious dramatic falls and scrapes and bruises and BAM! She's where she needed to go! Seriously, in this game did Lara even not fall down a cliff or river and not end up where she wanted to go in the first place? To me, this wasn't about Tombs or finding anything to do with history or mythology surrounding the island, but more about Lara, her friends, her survival, and after all that it's back to her again.. while she stumbles upon a tomb she finds and stays for a couple minutes before she's shot at or something falls or explodes or something. Preteen adult Indiana Jones with lady parts and 007 explosions and braindead goons.

-Gameplay-

Platforming-The game's platforming was a lot better than CD's previous LAU. White ledges were sometimes more hidden or they were blended in with the craftwork of a shack or a plane or something. The jumping to ropes or off beams felt awkward but safe. I felt like I had too much control of Lara and her featherweight body in midair but she homes in on ledges and things so it doesn't matter. She'll usually find what you're making her jump at...but all that removed the danger of it. It was too safe. There never was a time I thought "Oh wow, can I make this jump?" because it was either obvious I could because there's no where else to go or it's a small jump, just like in LAU.

Lara- Oh my god, my biggest gripe of all is Lara and her movements. She (and everything she interacts with) feel like nothing. Everything is made of styrofoam and feathers and falls over/rolls away when you exhale. That big crate there hanging from that rope? Jump on it and watch it swing as if Lara is either 200lbs or the crate is literally filled with nothing. Lara herself moves so melodramatically it's insane. Jumping in place even! She hops up, flails her arms and lifts her feet up. Why flail the arms? Is she unsure of how high she can jump in the air? And there's no pre-jump movement. She doesn't squat down even a little to give herself more of a push off the ground like how real people jump, she just uses her feet to do all these leaps and jumps from beam to rooftops to cliffwall. She's so responsive and quick she's like a supercar. Everything she did in the game was extremely jolty and quick. I say jump, Lara says "How far and which way in mid air should I sway?"

Interactables- I feel like the phrase "Good in moderation." was never used in this game. Crates full of XP? They're everywhere. Animals I can hunt if I want because I only fed Lara once? They're everywhere. Things to light on fire? They're everywhere. Bones of thousands and thousands of previous people? They're everywhere. Enemies willing to shoot anyone on sight or have a 2 minute conversation with each other? They're everywhere. Explosions? They're everywhere. Things falling apart when Lara steps on them or someone tries to kill her? They're everywhere. Collectables to which there's no real reason to collect them? They're everywhere. Campzones only a mere couple of feet away from danger or enemies OR other campzones? They're everywhere. Was there ever a point of instant travel? Most of the campzones were so close to each other that it'd take less than a minute to go to the previous one. I can see wanting to instant travel between Campzone D to A, I understand, but what's the fun in that? Instant travel should've been unlocked after completion of the story.

XP/Salvage-This is what ruined my experience the most I think. I wanted to be on an adventure but I'm constantly reminded of XP or finding salvage or upgrading Lara or her weapons to which after a good couple of hours I stopped caring about it all. I finished the game with over 3000 salvage to use. I didn't want to upgrade my guns because it just ruined the immersive atmosphere of the adventure to me. I hated being constantly reminded I was in a game. DING DING XP!! DING DING SALVAGE! DING DING TOMB AHEAD!

-Environments-
Overall-I can't say the environments were bad. They looked good! I enjoyed them. I never got to explore them though since every couple of feet is a battalion of goons armed to the teeth ready to fight me.
Wow, look at the mountainside! THERE SHE IS! GET HER!! *gunfire from multiple directions*
Wow, this area is kinda creepy.. *Random goon conversation about his boss/his job/his wife/his fears/his goldfish/his dinner/The Oni/Grandma*. Most the time I couldn't listen to their talking anymore and I just went in and shot them in the head. *HEADSHOT XP* If I wanted to play Call of Duty, I'd go play that.
Wow, this temple area looks cool! Love the architec... THERE SHE IS! GET HER!! *gunfire from multiple directions*
From what there was, the level design was good! Could have been a lot less linear.
The tomb with the wind and the shutters on the windows blowing all around was my favorite. I enjoyed that a lot! Felt mystical and dangerous to me. Should have been a lot more ancient sites along the way and not just things to experience.
Her environments changed way to quick. In the beginning after she escapes her first cave and ends up on the cliffs, she somewhere slides down a hill and it's all dark and stormy out in a matter of seconds. Kinda bad transition.. or maybe it's purposeful to show Himiko's powers? I don't know, just something I noticed.

-Sound-

Overall-I don't know about everyone else, but I played on PS3 and the sound consistently got choppy or completely went away for short instances. Some sound effects felt out of place. Some cave I was in featured a dripping water sound but there was a steady stream of water falling from the ceiling.. that's not drops of water.. that's a stream. I don't know if anyone else noticed this but I'm aware of level design to an extent and the atmosphere it projects. Sounds and lighting really can make or break a cave feeling.

-Rating-

My rating would be a 4.5 out of 10 stars. As a game, it's pretty meh. Nothing really sets it apart from any other game out there. It's got the XP thing. It's got the multiplayer thing. It's got the melodramatic story thing. The scripted gameplay thing. It's following what a lot of games are doing and it's not setting itself apart from them. Why should I buy the next one? What makes it unique? Or is it going to be the crap I can get in other game, only done better? I feel that Tomb Raider as a franchise is going through it's awkward teen years of finding itself while being peer pressured into things from it's friends and what they're doing. It's not making it's own mind up anymore, TR is following suit of what handfuls of other games are.
In all honesty, I don't think I'll be picking up another Tomb Raider from this point on. If this is what it's evolving into, I don't want any of it.
Going into this game, I wanted Adventure and Danger, Mythology and History, but out of all of those I only received Danger and that was only in the form of constant gunfights.
VINE VOICEon December 16, 2013
+ PROS:

+ An enjoyable 'gritty reboot' of the Tomb Raider series
+ Borrows gameplay elements from Batman: Arkham Asylum and the Uncharted games
+ Upgradable skills and weapons for the main game and multiplayer mode

- CONS:

- Tomb puzzles are almost too easy
- Several missable trophies which can require another playthrough
- Multiplayer mode is unbalanced

PLOT:

Our introduction to Lara Croft isn't the battle-hardened Lara we've come to accept over the years - this is an origin story. It's her first journey, on the ship Endurance. Ignoring the advice of her companions, The Endurance heads into the Dragon's Triangle. The ship is pulled apart by a violent storm leaving the survivors stranded on an isolated island. Lara is separated from the others and wakes up in a room filled with human remains, but manages to escape while a cave collapses around her. As Lara emerges on the side of a cliff, she sees the skeletal remains of ships on the shore below.
She's wounded, tired, and alone...and her adventure is just beginning.

GAMEPLAY:

As with other games in the old series, Tomb Raider is presented as a 3rd person adventure game, with some stealth elements. When we first start out, we have no weapons, no special skills, and no tutorial level to practice jumping in Lara's mansion, as we had in the 1996 version. No, we're put right into the action here. We have to learn how to hunt, find weapons, and scavenge for upgrades.

Lara can upgrade 9 different survival skills, 8 hunter skills, and 7 brawler skills. Throughout the island, there are hidden tombs which hold treasure maps, and other goodies.

Some areas are inaccessible until we unlock certain upgrades (such as the shotgun for blasting through obstacle blockades, or the rope arrow to access certain areas).

In combat, we can either use long range weapons such as a bow or a shotgun, or we can get up close and personal with a pickaxe or a well-placed arrow to the knee. There are some Quick Time Events during battles which allow Lara to perform finishing moves, or special attacks to weaken her opponents.

The Quick Time Events also happen during cutscene transitions - so Lara might have to dodge a tree limb, avoid falling over a cliff, or punch someone with a well-timed press of a button. No rest for the weary.

Lara also has an ability called Survival Instinct - with the push of the L2 button, Lara can perceive nearby animals, hostiles, and even collectible items.

This is the first game in the Tomb Raider universe which offers a multiplayer mode. There are three campaigns:

(1) Team Deathmatch, a player-versus-player combat mode which lasts up to three separate matches.
(2) Private Rescue, where the survivors have to take medical supplies to a specific area, and the scavengers need to reach a certain number of kills, all within 10 minutes.
(3) Cry for Help, where the survivors search around and retrieve batteries for defended radio beacons while being hunted by the scavengers.

TROPHIES:

There are 51 trophies to earn in this game. Most of them revolve around collecting items like GPS caches, upgrading all your skills & weapons, finding all the hidden tombs, hunting certain animals and using specific weapons to rack up kills.

**NOTE: If you're a trophy collector, 3 of them are missable in this game, so be sure to look up the requirements before you start playing!**

15 of the trophies can only be earned in multiplayer mode. They run the spectrum from killing two people with one explosion, to reviving a teammate, to buying all upgrades & character models.

PROS:

I wasn't sure what to expect with a 'gritty reboot' of the Tomb Raider series, but I was very pleased with the result. I was able to identify with this character much easier than her 1996 counterpart. In that game, Lara was shooting bats and bears with her two-handed pistols (and their infinite ammunition) before 10 minutes had passed. Here, I didn't even start with a knife!

This game uses the same dynamic as Batman: Arkham Asylum. When you first start out, you're not the battle-hardened Lara - she's scared, and she's inexperienced. I got killed more times than I care to admit. But while the game progressed and Lara became more accustomed to using her skills, I found myself becoming a more skilled combatant, which lead to me enjoying the story all the more.

In the Uncharted series, we've been able to see all our collectible treasures in a separate window, and Tomb Raider also lets us do this. We can rotate the items or reread documents at our leisure, just like Drake. The folks at Crystal Dynamics clearly saw what worked for the games by Rocksteady Studios and Naughty Dog, Inc., and brought those elements together for an enjoyable Tomb Raider experience.

I liked the upgrade system here. You have to gather experience by either hunting, exploring or combat. You can also use salvageable materials to fashion better weapons. I upgraded my survivor skills first to live off the land and gain experience faster, but there are excellent benefits to becoming a more efficient hunter or brawler.

CONS:

Firstly, I didn't find the tomb puzzles very complicated. Many of them require the player to pay attention to elements like timing or weight-distribution. A seasoned Tomb-Raider player from the 90s might find them overly simple, but for a person that's never played any of the previous games, these puzzles will present a few challenges. However, once you solve one, the others are very similar.

Next, the trophies. A few of the trophies can only be earned during the single-player story. Because this game auto-saves, if you complete the game and miss your opportunity, you'll have to start the game all over again. There are three confirmed missable trophies, but thankfully, there's more than enough guides online to walk you through getting them. If you're not a trophy hunter, this isn't too big of a problem.

Finally, the multiplayer mode. In my experience, this mode was horribly unbalanced. The first few times I played, I was matched up with opponents anywhere from level 31 to level 60, while I was a lowly level 1. My enemies had perfected their skills of jump-shotting around corners and under bridges, and could take out enemies on a rope slide with one arrow.
But me? I was having trouble figuring out basic elements like swapping between my rifle and my grenades!

As I slowly improved, I found that 95% of my quick joins to multiplayer put me into Team Deathmatch, which seems to get the most traffic. It's hard to get a bead on someone when they're jumping around like Peter Cottontail, and when you're a low-level player, this means your weapons will have a slow reload time...so you'll be used as target practice for the more experienced players.

THE GLITCH REPORT:

Thankfully, my game experience had very few glitches.

In one sequence, Lara had to fix an elevator. When I fixed it, I couldn't get inside the elevator without instantly dying for no apparent reason.
My next glitch came in the Summit Forest, Lara's Survival Instinct stopped working and I had to reboot the game to fix it...going back to the main menu didn't correct the issue.
The last glitch was at Shipwreck Beach...everything was in slow-motion when I arrived. I had to reboot the game and thankfully this didn't happen again.

FINAL VERDICT:

I thoroughly enjoyed this gritty reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise. The main story was pretty linear, but there was more than enough backtracking to pick up missing objects and optional challenges to give it an open-ended feel. The combat was easy to adapt to, the music was epic, and the scenery was absolutely breathtaking.

I didn't care for the multiplayer modes, but I would highly recommend this to adventure gamers, especially folks who like the Uncharted series.

Rated M for blood & gore, intense violence and strong language. Several of the death scenes are very graphic in nature - parental discretion is definitely advised.
on December 31, 2013
I been a gamer for well over two decades and by far this is one the best game ever.
IT made me stop playing Far Cry 3, Dark Souls,, Borderlands 2 and made me regret buying Batman AC....
Call me what you want, I don't play as girl and I don't like action game. my prefered poison is RPG.
But I still rate this game as the best game ever.
IT'S THAT GOOD.

Pros
Amazing graphics. The character models were skinned and rigged by the industry's best. Never seen anyone rigging a model without even a slightest "deformed" deformation.....again amazing. Background is utterly hauntingly beautiful.
A Perfect control. button placement is very intuitive and the control is precise. Only thing weird was the Quick Time Event....that was awful.
Great atmosphere. This game's story falls right between thriller and horror. Very intense, very VERY well done.
Cons
.The QTE was frustrating due to the artificially tweaking the difficulty of timing. The timing of the button pressing was VERY random and imprecise. So when to push the right button is a pure luck and a guessing game. I died more at the QTE then all other times combined. Really lazy on programmers part.

Overall a ten star game. This game should have won every award there is. This game should been a system seller IMO.
Please go buy this game and have a blast. when sequal is released that,s when I'm getting my PS4. You hear me Sony?
on March 7, 2013
Tomb Raider: The Final Hours Edition for PS3 was what I preordered and got on release date. I liked what the game had been marketed as, and since Uncharted got me to like this genre of videogames more, I decided It'd be worth the preorder price to pick it up, boy have I been pleased. Tomb Raider offers a fresh reboot to the series. I never really played much of the original Tomb Raider series, whenever I picked them up, they just weren't my thing. I don't know why, but this one I could play easier. What I love about this game is that you get to see Laura grow, and feel her pain. She's not the typical hero in other games that can run through explosions and not get a scratch on her, she gets hurt, and it really hurts, and you have to deal with those problems. The acting is great. The graphics are great. It plays like an interactive movie, with third person shooting. I prefer the bow and arrow the most, and I enjoy all the rpg elements that are brought to the table. This involves collecting "salvage" and upgrading weapons with said "salvage" and leveling up Laura to unlock certain skills. Its enjoyable, and fun. I think the one quote from myself that can explain how I feel about the game that I posted on my facebook account the other day sums up what I feel about this game.

"Tomb Raider is a rather great game. Never have I played a character that is more "human" in a videogame, what I mean by that is she feels pain, gets hurt realistically, and her fragility and determination is what makes her a strong female lead. Never have I liked a Tomb Raider game, and this one is a great revamp." -B

5/5, pick this up an enjoy playing!

I also suggest if you play through this game and loved it, and want "something along this quality", have a PS3(or Vita) and pick up one of the Uncharted Titles that are out for those systems. They are pretty good in their own right.
on December 18, 2013
pros:
graphics
intuitive cover mechanics
excellent controls
beautiful set pieces
story
voice acting
great pacing

cons:
cliched supporting cast
trial and error QTE's
useless RPG style leveling up
puzzles too easy
poor character development
game freezes
framerate drops
only 25% fighting
no bonus for game completion

after playing for an hour, the framerate dropped massively playing on my ps3 super slim; then got glitchy and finally would freeze after couple of hours. it was jarring to see lara becoming a skilled assassin instantly when only moments before she was a scared inexperienced young woman. i finished the game at 99% completion first playthrough on normal difficulty. second playthrough on hard without upgrading a single skill or weapon was more enjoyable, albeit more challenging (shanty town battles were crazy). after completing the single player, you're not rewarded with infinite ammo nor a NEW GAME+; not even new outfits or other cool unlockables. "you want new outfits? show me the money! you want other useless items? show me the money!" despite it's noticeable flaws, i can't wait for the next installment.
on July 28, 2013
I've been a big Tomb Raider fan since the very first one and I've played each one that came after.. As an 'older' gamer (at 68 I've been playing since my 40s) AND a gal to boot, not many great games have been designed for us gals (aside from the Final Fantasy series which has had female protagonists on occasion) until the last 8 or 9 years.. But Lara's been around for a long time and I bow down at the feet of Core Design and Crystal Dynamics for, not only bringing her back, but making her an even better whoop-ass heroine! She starts out a little weak, to be expected since this is suppose to be her 'first' real adventure, but it's not long before Lara is killing the baddies with the best of them!
The graphics in the game are just awesome, hard to some times take in the beauty with the violence, but I suppose it wouldn't be Tomb Raider without that part.. And, to tell you the truth, this granny, by the time Lara had died a few times, was ready to do some real bloodshed!
I sincerely hope Core Design and Crystal Dynamics are not going to stop with Tomb Raider Reboot but will continue to bring us more adventures of Lara Croft.. It's great to have her back in the gaming world again!
on January 27, 2014
Well, I love Tomb Raider since PS, and this is no exception. This being the first Tomb Raider its great.
The online could be better, but it's pretty easy anyway.
Got the platinum like in a week, so it's pretty easy.

Ah, also, I didn't expect to receive an artbook, but it came with it for the same price.

BTW, haters will be haters. People comparing this to UC shows just how ignorant they are!
Specially since TR has a longer story and background than this UC story, which is pretty recent.
on March 28, 2013
I bought this game on a limb. It was on sale for $41 here on amazon. I read it was similiar to uncharted. I am very pleasently surprised by this game and it has surpassed my expectations so far. It does some things better than uncharted but others not as well. But that's ok because uncharted was one of my favorite games this generation. I will name the things I liked better. First the rpg element is a nice touch. I also think the aiming is much better than in uncharted 2 and uncharted 3. The bow is awesome it makes the stealth in this game so much better than the stealth in uncharted. The story so far is ok. I've never played a tomb raider game and I love the direction of this game so far. I also like the survival instinct. It makes me think of Bateman arkham games. I love this game so far and I hope they make more like this in the series.