Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

on March 13, 2013
It worked great for a couple of times (see first review below) then stopped working. After 40minutes of pumping I would not even get 50ml. The joint between the horn and the bottle was deformed and no longer held together. That made the bottle fell off constantly and needed to be held. The other side stayed on but the suction is not working properly anymore.
I want to add that I washed the pump manually and dried it entirely before putting back the pieces together. The noise of the pump is way too loud after a while too.
I just bought a medela from Amazon as an urgent solution. I was not satisfied with the Ameda either, so I want to try something different.

------------- Previous review, after successful use --------------------
For my second baby I decided to buy this pump. For my previous baby I had a ameda pump.

The ameda pump worked great as well, but felt not natural and so it was hard to think about my baby and have the milk come down. The ameda broke after 6 months of use (I cannot yet compare with the tommee tippee one, because I have the tommee tippee for only 2 months). The ameda one did not look good, but I managed to get my milk, so it worked. It just felt like a sad experience.

This pump, the tommee tippee so far is of a better experience. The only big minus is the sound, it rumbles, it is super loud. But that is the only thing I can think of. The design is super pretty: you just slide the top of the motor and press various speed and it works! The shells that go onto the breast is very soft, such a brilliant idea, basically it is not hard plastic but silicone. Why the other pump manufacturers did not have this idea?! So it is a very elegant, simple and comfortable experience, as a result it is not hard to relax and think of my baby (to the exception of the rumbling sound of the motor... ).
Efficiency: after 10 minutes I have expressed two 150ml bottles, so it is great (and my baby is 3 months old).

I am glad I gave it a try because I was super nervous to buy a new pump from a different manufacturer than my previous one. I also own the manual pump from the same brand and i always carry it with me!
VINE VOICEon July 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been pumping through two babies now and have used Medela Pump In Style, Lactina, Symphony, Avent Phillips electric pump, and Ameda Purely Yours pump and now this one.

Right out of the box, you have almost everything you need to start pumping: The pump itself, the tubing and parts, a bag, bottles and nipples, storage system with 6 containers total, breast pads, and a bag to put the pumped bottles in. The only thing I think this is lacking is an ice pack. Other than that, it is a very complete system.

Now the system itself has some flaws. There are more parts to this than any of the other pumps I have tried. So it is a bit of a hassle to wash. The Ameda Purely Yours was the pump that had the easiest parts to clean and the least amount. This is a closed system pump, which is very crucial because when it's open system (All of Medela pumps are open system), the milk can easily get into the tube and so it can become quite unsanitary. However, the way the closed system works, you have to shove this little tube into the top of the pump accessories and this can get a little bit tricky. All of the other pumps at least have another part that easily fits onto the two pump bodies but this is just tube parts that you push in.

Another design flaw that I found is that the silicone inserts are not very sanitary. Even after washing your hands, you have to really push it in with your fingers around the entire silicone insert to have it fit properly.

I had problems using this pump in the beginning because you have to really shove the valve part in tightly in order for it to flow. It is such an anti-back flow that it can have milk back up and stuck in the body, never going into the bottle... this made a very messy first few times. Once I did get everything fitted properly, however, this was great.

I will say that this got out more milk than all of the other pumps, very comparable with the amount I get with Medela. For my morning pump, I can get 8 oz out easily in under 15 minutes. I struggled to get 6 oz out with the Ameda Purely Yours (which lost suction after a few months). The Avent Phillips was probably the worst at getting milk out compared to all of these pumps. The Avent Phillips one had very little suction.

Now on to the pros of this particular pump: this is by far the most portable pump I have used. While all of the other pumps require the A/C adapter, I did not need an A/C adapter to use the Tommee Tippee pump. There is a rechargeable battery that lasted me all week (only using it once in the morning). The pump itself is pretty quiet (very comparable again to the Medela pumps). I believe the Ameda Purely Yours was the loudest pump out of all of the ones I have tried. It is also the lightest and smallest pump so I can just grab it and go anywhere easily. The Tommee Tippee also has a timer (which one of the other pumps have) so you can see exactly how long you have pumped for. You can also adjust the suction levels so as it goes up, it will suck harder and a bit longer.

I also love the silicone insert, despite its design flaw, because this is extremely comfortable to use (comparable to the comfort of Avent Phillips pump). Ameda and Medela pumps are both pretty uncomfortable as you just have the cup and nothing to help cushion as it sucks.

Now the storage system this uses is also slightly flawed. The caps itself doesn't suction too well so it can be easily knocked over and milk can spill. It is suppose to also sit inside the Tommee Tippee bottles filled with warm water and that design can be improved upon as well as you can easily spill warm water out along with the milk with this. We decided to just pour the milk into his usual bottles in order to feed him instead of using what was provided for us.

If it was up to me, I would pick either the Tomee Tippee pump or any of the Medela pumps (despite the open system, which a lot of people do not like). The Ameda lost suction very quickly and the Avent Phillips was just not good at getting milk out. I will update this if there is any loss in suction but so far so good. There are just a few things that can be improved upon with the design and then this could easily be 5 stars.
on March 14, 2014
I bought this for my daughter and she loves it. It is easy to use and comes with all of the attachments that the other electric make you buy separate.
on January 10, 2013
I'm a new mom and this pump has been very easy to use. It comes apart quickly for easy cleaning. The unit can either be plugged in (recommended)or run off of a charged battery. I would recommend this product to any mom looking to breast feed their baby.
on June 22, 2014
The Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Double Electric Breast Pump has made my breast feeding experience delightful. With my busy work schedule, I spend less than half the time i spend expressing when using my formal pump. I now rest easy knowing that I can rely on Tommee Tippee to help keep my baby happy by providing a pleasuring/natural feeding experience. Thanks Tommee Tippee.
on October 9, 2015
I was impressed when a coworker told me it took her only 10 minutes to empty her milk with this pump. I jumped at the chance when an individual was selling for only $100. I thought, what a steal!

1.) I had trouble from the moment I first used this pump. First off, one of the duck bill valves was sealed shut. I hadn't noticed until I investigated after noticing that one side was not producing milk. I removed the pump from my breast with an unwelcome bath of backed up milk upon my clothes. Okay, fine.... rookie mistake. I separated the portion of the duck bill valve that was sealed and proceeded with pumping. Problem solved.

2.) the suction is painful even on the lowest setting

3.) **Warning**
Be sure all parts are fastened securely.

I made the mistake of using a hands free bra which caused the flange to detach and all the milk spilled once again. Also, it doesn't take much for the bottle to unscrew from the rest of the pump. This happens frequently, maybe because the vibrations of the pump cause it to loosen.

4.) I stopped using the hands free bra which eliminated the flange problem. But the most frustrating problem is that the tubing will not stay attached. I have to hold the tubing for my entire 10-20 minute pumping session. Otherwise, I have to reattach the tubing every 10-30 seconds. It's really frustrating and has even driven me to interject a few choice curse words (which I rarely do if ever). I want to complain to the company, but I don't think anything can be done to remedy this. I'm really disappointed that such a reputable company has developed such an unsatisfactory product. I have rated 2 stars because I did not get the chance to contact customer service to address my issues. If customer service was bad then this would get 1 star. I have ordered the Spectra 9 pump through my insurance. Hopefully it fares much better.
on September 26, 2015
My daughter didn't want to breast feed from my breast. I was sick after giving birth. I had to get a blood transfusion, so she was in the nursery a lot. She got used to the bottle. She was unable to latch on. I was pumping at the hospital with the manual tommee tippee. When I got home I switched to the electric one. It collected two ounces on the left breast and one ounce on the right and then stopped working. I thought I was the problem. I thought I was not producing milk. I never tried using another pump. So my daughter didn't breast feed once home from the hospital. I switched back to the manual pump but the suction was not the same after washing it when I got home from the hospital. Since this happened the same week, It only solidified that I was the problem. I just never thought to try something else. I really regret that decision. My daughter is 20 months now and I'm three months pregnant with my second child. It's not until i began looking for replacement parts and realized it was discontinued did I put one and two together. I really wish I was advised to try another system before giving up on breast feeding with my daughter. I heard the spectra s1 is great, I'll try it with this baby.
On the positive note, I have everything tommee tippee and love it. I was and am still a tommee tippee mom. I have the bottles, both electric and microwave sterilizers, bottle warmer, sippy cups, insulated straw cup, all kinds of bibs (plastic and cloth), breast shield, etc.... I have it all and love it.
So if you guys can fix the issues with the pump that would be great. I'm still loyal to tommee tippee. I'll live to return to your pump when you get kinks worked out.
on July 14, 2015
Glad this is discontinued because it needs a serious redesign. The one star is for the soft, silicone cups and the fact only 3 parts need quick cleaning between uses and they are fairly easy and quick to rinse off between deeper cleanings. Problems are many! Over 3 months the engine lost power so that it had to be plugged in all the time, battery won't charge, doesn't have enough suction power even when plugged in to do both breasts at once so now I'm taking twice as long to pump each breast one at a time, it's so LOUD I have to wrap a towel around it while I pump at night or in the morning while the baby is sleeping, the suction level settings are terrible so that even the lowest let down setting feels like the pump is trying to turn your nipples inside out (in the early days as your nipples are adjusting and are raw, good grief I had to go and buy a manual pump as the thought of this thing attached to me sent shivers down my spine in fear) - they desperately need to get a lesson in intensity settings from Medela, the 4th power level button stopped working after a couple of months, sometimes I have to sit and pray the pump will switch to the next power setting since the power buttons are heat-activated by your fingers and there is no actual button or dial to physically manipulate (seems to me they tried to get too cute with the design without testing functionality over the long term). Are those enough reasons not to get this?
on May 24, 2015
I own a medela pump in style and the tommee tippee pump. There is no comparison, the medela is easier to use, easier to assemble, and better quality.

First of all, it arrived with a defective valve that wasn't open and didn't let any milk through down to the bottle. I called customer service and they sent a replacement, but still, I was waiting several weeks for it and the pump was inoperable as a double pump without it.

My second big issue with this pump is the sheer number of parts you have to clean and assemble. At least 7 per side not including the bottles. So 14 pieces you will be cleaning each time.

My biggest complaint is that nothing seems to stay together when you're pumping. The tubing will pop out of the machine or the flange will pop out of place. But tragically, and you will feel my pain if you have low supply, the flange regularly disconnects from the bottle and spills the milk you have pumped. I've lost ounces to this stupid machine and not for lack of trying to work with it. The parts simply don't stay in place.

I do like try timer feature and the look of the machine itself. But that does not outweigh loosing breast milk because of the poor design.
on August 27, 2014
Pump worked great for an inexpensive system. Although strength of pump is best when plugged in. It is slightly weaker when not plugged in and running off battery.