5.0 out of 5 stars Not your average garden book!
Published on February 20, 2011 by GardenZest

3.0 out of 5 stars Mrs Magoo Gives A Review
The photography is first rate and inspiring. An added plus is that many of the homes and gardens are in the San Francisco Bay Area, where I live, so it was extra-cool to see what some folks in challenging areas (hilly, clay soil, bedrock, wind, fog, more wind) were able to accomplish.
Published on October 10, 2011 by LBC

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your average garden book!, February 20, 2011
This review is from: Tomorrow's Garden: Design and Inspiration for a New Age of Sustainable Gardening (Hardcover)
I've been waiting to see this book for months and I wasn't disappointed. First, it is beautiful to look at with engaging and often unusual photography (many of the urban gardens you wouldn't expect to see in a traditional garden book.) The gardens range from modern to more traditional but always with an eye out for sustainability. The author writes well and authoritatively on ideas like permeability, water usage, native plants but best of all the topic never strays far from how to make a garden beautiful. This is an excellent book for people who are looking for new ways to rejuvenate their backyards or start a new garden in a new property. Inspirational to gardeners both new and experienced. I loved the sections on street gardening and community gardens.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mrs Magoo Gives A Review, October 10, 2011
LBC (California) - See all my reviews
But, the font. Oh my word. Or should I say, .. .. ..... That's right. Those little dots? That is the experience I had trying to read it. The nursery/bookstore where I bought this book had lighting so bright you could do microsurgery under it and that is exactly the type of illumination you will need before you can get past the first couple of lines. And a magnifying glass. Bring that too. I got the book home and wondered how the heck it could have shrunk during a short car ride. I can't read it and that kind of ruins it for me. I'm 53 and I can barely flail through it with reading glasses at a 200 strength.
It may be "tomorrow's garden" but if you are over 20 years of age you will need yesterday's eyes to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful and Practical Garden Guide book, March 2, 2011
Like a good angel sitting on your shoulder, Stephen Orr is the garden friend that nudges you toward creating a garden that is sustainable AND beautiful. Those concepts didn't use to sit on the same plate. Stephen's vision for what gardens can be has produced a book that is equal parts inspiration and how-to. Tomorrow's Garden is at home on the coffee table to look at -- and dream with. It is also at home on the potting table or wheelbarrow.
Stephen has curated gardens across the country that offer an intimate glimpse into what amateur gardeners have done -- with few resources -- to create spectacular, inspiring gardens. You will love this book. I like the size too.

4.0 out of 5 stars i enjoyed the book. the Kindle version on iPad has issues, May 8, 2013
Lisa Ann Paul (Kansas City, MO USA) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed the book. It reads like a series of magazine articles. It isn't a how-to book, more a discussion of current gardening trends with beautiful and interesting examples. Unfortunately, it isn't properly produced as an e-book. The photos are small and are blurry when enlarged. The captions often appear on the next page and are the same type as the narrative, making for a confusing read. I've experienced the same thing with other pictured e-books. Perhaps the editing hasn't caught up to the technology. Having said that, I think it is definitely a book worth owning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book!, January 2, 2013
This book has gorgeous pictures and great information! I gave this as Christmas presents to family this year. It was a hit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, poetic, accessible, February 28, 2011
There are so many sources of this book's richness. One is how gentle
and personal and encouraging the voice is-- what a FRIEND
experience Stephen Orr creates with his reader. I immediately felt
welcomed into the world of this book, which has the double
seduction of being beautiful but at the same time not intimidating
in the way the gardens that magazines cover sometimes are. Orr's message
throughout is that this sort of beauty and wonder and wealth is there for
all of us if we want it, to the huge betterment of our lives. And his lessons
about how to make it happen are clear and easy to follow, while also emphasizing
the role each of our personal visions plays in the gardens we create.
The photos are gorgeous and again, so intensely personal. They
add another layer to the sense of entering into these places,
freely shared by people who seem to want us to be there with them.
I am so moved by my experience with this book. It's DIFFERENT. It's kind
and encouraging and intimate while completely respecting its readers as fellow travelers.
I found myself at times holding my breath as I read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational Gardening Book, February 27, 2011
I love this book - it is well-written and informative, and alongside the beautiful photographs it serves to inspire those just discovering their love of gardening (like myself) as well as more experienced gardeners who can appreciate the author's point of view and the timely topic of sustainability.

3.0 out of 5 stars the type is too small, February 19, 2011
It is a nice book. A good book. Timely - with current information; dappled with some interesting stories. The photographs, while not remarkable, are plentiful. I just think it is cruel to design a book with the bulk of it's type tooooo small, and with serifs. Other, larger, sans serif type is thin white on a green background, and just as difficult to read. The book requires so much physical effort to explore, that I haven't much enthusiasm for it.

$24.99 $19.15