Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

• Customer Reviews

I purchased "Strawberry" flavor toothpaste after buying and loving Tom's of Maine "Orange mango". I expected that this flavor will be as true to its name in taste as Orange mango was to its. However, this is not so. This toothpaste has a flavor of bubblegum. It is not unpleasant, not too sweet, however not strawberry.

I don't like mint flavors in anything, so I have been very pleased to discover non-minty flavors of Tom's of Maine. This toothpaste has fluoride which fight cavities and it whitens with silicas.

The Bubble gum flavor is okay: it is not too sweet but I would not call it refreshing. Despite its name this toothpaste is suitable to adults, as it is not too sweet. The flavor does not linger when you are done brushing. It leaves a slightly chalky aftertaste which does not last long. This toothpaste does not foam. By comparison Orange Mango foams a little however less than a regular toothpaste like Colgate. Orange Mango felt refreshing and you could feel the flavor for a few minutes after brushing.

Attached is a photo of the Silly Strawberry on the toothbrush so you can see the actual toothpaste color and texture. The second photo shows that the toothpaste arrived sealed, which is very nice so it will keep longer. I also liked the fact that I could keep the tube standing on its cover, so gravity keeps the toothpaste at the opening and it takes up less room on the bathroom counter.

I have to say that I liked Orange Mango more in both respects of flavor and foaming. I will finish the three tubes of Strawberry I received in this order, but I will not be buying this flavor again.

Ali Julia review
review image
on April 10, 2012
I've tried every toothpaste imaginable and have seen quite a few trends over the past few decades. Seems like the newest trend is whitening. Whitening toothpastes generally use two approaches: sanding down via baking soda or lifting stains via hydrogen peroxide. The problem with baking soda seems obvious. The problem with hydrogen peroxide is how it may introduce sensitivity to teeth. I always read about tooth sensitivity and thought, 'yeah, right!' Until the day I swished some mouthwash and felt like Ali and Tyson took turns on my molar. I read up on sensitivity and discovered much of it has to do with whitening products, which pretty much IS what the toothpaste aisle has become today.

I was reluctant to buy anything from Tom's for fear it's 'natural' composition wouldn't be adequate to clean my teeth, and that I'd look like a hippie buying it, but I did want to try something something gentler than before and thus considered Tom's Strawberry Toothpaste. I was concerned was that it would be so sugary sweet, like a lot of kid toothpastes (told you, I tried everything) but was pleasantly surprised that it tasted very close to natural strawberries. Because it isn't loaded with Peroxide, Baking Soda or that absurdly strong mint it doesn't feel like it's attacking your teeth and it doesn't leave them dry after brushing, which is a nice change of pace.

Let's be honest, brushing is only meant to brush away the particles of food on the gum line. It was never meant to be the end all of tooth care. That said, this toothpaste, along with regular flossing, has become my comfortable choice of tooth care. Some reviewers complain that this tastes 'chalky' but I haven't noticed that. Maybe all the hydrogen peroxide washed that part of my taste buds away.

Anyway, if you get this get the stuff with fluoride. Fluoride works.
on March 21, 2012
I really like it because it is not "spicy". It feels good on my teeth.
-From a 7 year old boy
on January 6, 2012
I like this brand of toothpaste so I always buy it. I work in healthcare, so I make sure to get the ones with fluoride as I see what happens to teeth that don't get enough! However, in regard to Silly Strawberry, taste is an issue in my household. The two males HATE it and swear it tastes nothing like an enjoyable fruit. My 3 year old like it and thinks it tastes like bubblegum. I think it tastes like chalky stawberry. Very very chalky. However, it does a great job of cleaning teeth and leaves mouths fresh, but you may want to try a different flavor!
on August 16, 2014
This toothpaste was a wonderful surprise. I am an adult, actually a senior citizen, with a very sensitive dry mouth. Most mint flavored toothpastes cause me real problems. I had used Biotene toothpaste for a long time, but they changed their formulations and I can no longer use any of their products. In desperation I went to the local stores and searched amazon for alternatives. I ordered several supposedly gentle mint brands, but they varied from horrible to still cause sensitivity issues. I had solved my post Biotene mouthwash problem with an orange flavored one from Natural Dentist so when I saw the Tom's orange children's toothpaste I figured what the heck, at least they will go together. What a wonderful surprise. I love the taste, very natural and not overly sweet, and there are no sensitivity issues at all. It is a pleasure to brush my teeth. This is a great toothpaste. Haven't had a dentist visit since I started using it, but I trust Tom's. I am now totally free of my Biotene reformulation disaster and happy as can be. You might say I feel like a kid again.
I bought Tom's of Maine Silly Strawberry toothpaste, because it's one of only two remaining fruit flavors. I can't stand sweet toothpastes. Tom's of Maine apricot was the perfect toothpaste for me. It had a light, fresh apricot flavor that was like a hint of real fruit without being sweet. Then the company changed the formula to taste artificial and sickening sweet. Then they got rid of apricot entirely, along with their lemon-lime flavor. Now Tom's of Maine makes ELEVEN different mint flavors and two fruit. I thought Silly Strawberry would be too sweet, as it is made for children, and strawberries are a sweet fruit. But I was desperate.

It's not as sweet as I thought it would be. Silly Strawberry tastes like bubble gum but less sweet and real strawberry, not artificial. It doesn't foam as much as the big brands, but this is not SLS-free, so it does foam some. My only complaint is that it has a slightly chalky aftertaste, but that doesn't bother me much. It comes in a fluoride-free version and a fluoride version that is ADA-approved. Although at first I didn't consider buying it because it's a children's product, the Silly Strawberry is equally suited to adults. And if you don't like mint, you have very few choices left. This is a good choice for those who don't want a sweet toothpaste or who find mint too irritating.
on June 7, 2016
There are many things I like about this, and it's four stars. The taste is child friendly as well. My main pet peeves are 1. it's not as natural as I like it and 2. I don't trust it as much as I did 20 years ago when it was still and independent company. If it weren't for my sensitivities to mint, though, I'd use David's toothpaste which is made in the USA and truly natural, but many kids don't like mint toothpaste.
on September 8, 2012
Toms of Maine seems to have changed their formulation a few years ago and now contains sodium lauryl sulfate! (They're also owned now by Colgate!) That's too bad. Not for us anymore, even though it tastes okay.
55 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 26, 2012
Above all, the kids like it. It leaves them wanting to brush their teeth, which is a huge plus. I'm not happy that the formulation of this was changed, but I still think it's chemical-lite compared to everything else on the market. I also like it because it's a kids' product that doesn't put princesses or dazzling characters on the packaging to sell it. It's toothpaste. It works. The kids like it. We buy it.
on July 9, 2013
I have lichen planus in my mouth, which is very painful and I cannot use any toothpaste that has any flavorings, minty, cinnamon, etc. Tom's Children's toothpaste is the only thing I have found that I can use that does not bring me to tears when I brush my teeth.