Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

• Customer Reviews

on August 22, 2012
I love Tom's of Maine products and I've been a loyal customer for years, so when they came out with this, I thought i'd give it a try. The first week went really well! Less sweat! No weird smell! Awesome!

....Then I did my laundry. While folding my clothes, I noticed that it had stained every single one of my shirts I wore while using this deodorant. Every single one. It made the pit area much, much darker. I have no idea if this is salvageable, but I stopped using it immediately. SO sad! I really liked this product until I noticed the staining.
77 comments| 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2014
I kept checking the ingredients to see if there's aluminum and my bottle says not. Although here I see someone's review saying it does, the description says a naturally sourced alum, whatever that means. It's hard to know what is acceptable or not, so before I buy natural products of any kind I check the rating from EWG's Skin Deep Cosmetics Database. [...] They have an app too! This product got a 1 on a scale of 0-10, 0 being the least hazards and 10 being the worst. If EWG gives it a 1, then I trust it. I know they're standards are super high, so it's always my go-to reference before buying.
on June 24, 2012
I've used various Tom's products in the past and have always been perfectly content. This product, however natural it may be, contains aluminum and is extremely drying and difficult to remove. As with other aluminum-based antiperspirants, this does do the job, but at the expense of dried out, tired armpits and about 3 minutes per pit of lathering to remove while showering.

If your goal is to not have any sweat from your pits, then this stuff gets 5 stars, however I don't like it, so I selected the appropriate amount of stars for "I don't like it," which is 2.
55 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2012
I was surprised to see the other reviews on here - I love this product - it keeps me dry and odor free for the whole day - sometimes I need another application at night but it really works, and I have tried a lot of natural deodorents. I have had some issues with it rubbing off my darker clothes but that has been minor.
on May 18, 2012
I bought this while I was pregnant because I couldn't stand the smell of any scented products. Why does deodorant have to be scented anyway? I really like it. I don't sweat while wearing it and it doesn't have any kind of fragrance which is fantastic! Other "natural" deodorants I have tried made my armpits feel sticky and gross but not this one.
on August 28, 2013
I don't know if it's just me. I've never had too difficult of a sweat problem or anything, I actually got this as a free sample. I gave it a try, not just once but twice now. The first time I put it on, it was pasty where as most other deodorants kind of glide on. After about an hour I noticed a smell, I don't get the bad BO smell because I shower pretty regularly but this, like, brought it up to the surface. Not only that the paste began to clump...a lot. It was bad and I remember going and washing it off. I forgot about the sample for a few weeks, but sitting at home and cleaning up I found it again and thought, hey, why not give this another try. Still nasty and the same as before, I threw it away finally. On terms of whether it actually stopped me from sweating I didn't really notice if it was any better than other deodorants in that department. But I'm going to stick to my Degree instead.
on May 25, 2012
I've been wearing this for about a week now & it has stood up even through my workouts. Love it! I've been waiting for a 'more natural' antiperspirant, since the natural deodorants just didn't cut it for me. But this one is a keeper. Can't wait to try the powder scent next.
on May 6, 2013
My boyfriend noticed I used a commercial deodorant and being protective and health conscious he bought me Tom's dry deodorant for women. I noticed a rash that was terribly itchy. I decided to check the ingredients thoroughly. The "active ingredient" at 23% is aluminum chlorhydrate which is what every commercial deodorant uses.
I think is a total misrepresentation. I felt terribly having to tell this man who loves me this, but we are both really disenchanted. How does this come out all natural. FYI in the US cosmetics and hygiene products are not regulated by the gvt. with regard to labeling. Overseas, i.e. in Australia, they are. If it says USDA Certified organic...it probably is. The word "natural" means nothing.
on April 13, 2014
For those who complain that Tom's is using aluminum salts in this product, see their official explanation here:
[...]

There isn't definitive proof that aluminum is going to hurt you - and people use it all that time. Tom's is giving people more options. Some people want to use antiperspirants like the mainstream Secret/Dove/etc but not with animal based ingredients or animal testing. If you don't like their antiperspirant because it contains aluminum, you can buy their traditional deodorants instead - don't punish the company because you didn't google the product and find out what you were buying. I like Tom's long lasting deodorants, but wanted to try an antiperspirant option.

I bought the Natural Powder scent - have only used it for a couple days - but it seems about as good as the more mainstream antiperspirants out there. I've used Secret for many years. After reading reviews about how it can stain clothes, I will try to use less of it (so that it doesn't get to the point that it clumps up on the skin).
on June 11, 2013
It works! I'm just glad that there's a product on the market that's natural and doesn't have aluminum. I've tried lavender and regular. The lavender smile goes away pretty quickly, but that's okay. I'll stick to my lavender oil for perfume:-)

UPDATE: I am subtracting stars because this particular Tom's of Maine has aluminum in it. The lavender one does not have it - I verified with my stock on hand. The container says "aluminum-free deodorant", nor is aluminum listed in the ingredients. Like Ms. Rowell, I too, am seriously upset over this. I might even call the company. Thank you, Ms. Rowell (see comments below), for pointing it out for me.

I have contacted Tom's of Maine and they will send me replacement product.