Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: TOMY Gearation Building Toy
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on July 13, 1999
Gearation Activity Set is a winner! The colorful magnetic discs interlock, giving little hands an opportunity to learn about cogs, gears and magnets simultaneously. With 2 speeds of movement and a seemingly unending number of combinations, this toy allows children to create their own "moving picture" complete with sound! The discs are colorful, well-made and easy for a 3-4 year old to interlock. It's movement is messmerizing to children and adults as well. A great toy!
on July 13, 1999
One of the few toys the kids still pull from the closet from this past Christmas. Purchased for a four year old the two year old has started to play with it recently and finds it pretty challenging but for the most part has figured it out. Definitely worth the price, well made and fun. Educational? Educational is overated in my opinion but if you want something that the kids will have to figure out with different speeds, reverse and forward, then I suppose it's educational. It's not chess but it is fun.
on September 14, 1999
My 3 year old daughter has had little interest in any building type toys. This one has capured her attention for independant play for up to 30 minutes at a time. Its fun even for adults.
on March 28, 2001
I bought the original Gearation set for my son for Christmas two years ago. He was almost three. Now I'm buying the add-on set (the Gearation Amusement Park) for his fifth birthday becase he and I (and his sisters, stepdad, friends, and other family) had so much fun with the original set. It demonstrates some fundamental mechanics in a fun way, and it's accessible without guidelines or instructions. It's been durable too - not only has it survived lots of use for the last two years, it has also been transported in an RV across the country when we moved house from CA to TX. It's there now on his toy shelf, waiting for the next time he has a friend over to play - it's one of the favorite play-with-a-buddy toys for my son, and one that he and I have enjoyed together also. It won't survive a lot of exposure to the outdoors, but it is a super rainy day toy, and it can be set up anywhere (including in a car). We love it, and I would recommend it to anyone for a kid aged 3-6.
on December 23, 1999
I have a 3 1/2 and a 6 yr old and both really enjoy this toy. The gears attach to the board thru magnets in the back of each gear which is great in terms of keeping track of the different pieces. It's a great introduction to children on the mechanics of how gears work. The 3 1/2 also enjoys carrying the board around with its convenient handle. It's not a complicated toy for kids to pick up but quite an innovative one.
on November 27, 2000
We own two of these wonderful toys and keep one on our coffee table. I have to keep track of the "gears or magnets" but it is well worth the effort. Everyone who comes into our home is fascinated by this and is always playing with it. Our 6 & 3 year old play with this constantly. I would recommend this for ages 2 1/2 or older. The switches are large enough and easy enough for little hands to manipulate. I sometimes have to help with setting up the first one correctly in the center so it will turn but our little guy is getting the hang of it. I see a real sense of pride & accomplishment on little faces when they have all the gears turning. I highly recommend this toy. It is one you can play with your child. Ours really love them.
on December 11, 2000
Although it says 3 to 7 years old, we bought Gearation for our son at about 2 1/2 because it is featured in the Baby Mozart video and he was always so fascinated with it. We felt okay about this because we didn't see any parts so small that they were a choking hazard.
I actually think this is more fun and educational for younger toddlers. I can see how older kids would get bored quickly with it, but it teaches younger children basic mechanical skills and gives them an understanding of how things fit together. He would love to create various patterns of gears and watch them spin.
Our son is almost 3 now and he still enjoys playing with it after about six months, a fairly long duration by comparison with other toys. I recommend it highly.
on May 31, 2000
A lot of the negative reviews on this toy seem to come from people whose kids are 3 and older. We bought it for a very active 2-year-old who can barely hold still and he has been riveted by it. So I'd recommend it for younger kids than the manufacturer's recommended age. All the pieces are big so I don't think there's a choking hazard.
on July 10, 2000
Our (then) 3 year old got this for Christmas last year. While it's a fun toy and he enjoyed using it, it never really got much action beyond two days later. There's only so much that you can do with it before it starts to get old. Hence, the 3 stars for fun - it's fun, but not of the lasting type.
on November 21, 2011
The non profit organization Healthy Stuff has a website that provides chemical information about toys. They tested this toy and found high levels of lead and bromine in the magnets and in the black board, making this toy a health hazard to children. This also makes the toy illegal in the USA.

Amazon should NOT sell this toy!
33 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse