Tonight
Format: MP3 MusicChange
Price:$7.99

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(3 star)show all reviews
on February 10, 2010
Well, I pre-ordered toby's newest "tonight" months ago and my expectations were high (and rightfully so, he usually delivers) but this one let me down. I noticed another reviewer commenting that these smell like b-sides; I concur. Toby usually raises his game from cd to cd and changes his style to keep it fresh but these songs just sound like a continuation of "Portable sounds", only not quite as good.

I had really looked forward to hearing what toby and Matt Theissen of Relient K would come up with in their collaboration, but their song "Wonderin" was really the largest swing and miss for me. Others that didn't quite connect with me were "Get back up" which is too similar to "I'm for you", and "Captured" which reminded me of "Burn for you". "Funky Jesus music" is the "Diverse city" of this album and "Showstopper" is just like "The slam", "Boomin", "Yours", and "Extreme days".

All is not lost though, the title track "Tonight" with John Cooper from Skillet is a major highlight, more of a driving techno rock feel. "City on our knees" is still a great song even though radio plays it to death. "Break open the sky" is Tobymac's nod to traditional reggae although Israel Houghton's appearance is forgettable. The horns in "Start Somewhere" are nice and tasty, and "Hey devil" is different enough from previous rock songs that Toby has done to keep it interesting.

As a long time fan of all the former Dc talk boys I really wanted to love this one, but I didn't see enough growth and risk to warrant more than a 3 star cd.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 25, 2010
After listening to 'City on our Knees', I was really looking forward to Tonight. I've always been a huge tobyMac fan; he was the first Christian musician I really listened to, and I love his music. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this release as much as his previous work. It does, however, have some great songs.
First off, I don't like the synthesized sound many of the songs have; it reminds me too much of mainstream pop (when I heard the first few notes of 'Funky Jesus Music', it reminded me a bit of a Lady Gaga beat).

Tonight (9/10): The title track, as well as the opening, this song grabbed me right off the bat. The lyrics are great, and the song has a great beat. Gotta love the guitar, too.

Get Back Up (10/10): I first heard this on the radio, and even a couple months later, it hasn't lost its luster. It feels a lot like "I'm For You" from Portable Sounds, but I don't see it as a bad thing. The lyrics are amazing; the entire thing is just infused with hope and optimism.

Funky Jesus Music (5/10): There's a part of me that wants to like this song. It's definitely fun to listen to. But I can't get past the lack of depth in the lyrics ('funky Jesus blazer'? Really?), and the song feels too artificial in its sound (again, it reminds me of Lady Gaga).

City on Our Knees (6/10; Radio edit 10/10): It pains me to give this anything below a ten; the lyrics are just beautiful. But I feel like the balance of the instruments is just off in the album version; I have to listen to the radio edit if I'm going to listen to this song.

Showstopper (3/10): I don't see why people like this song, except that it'd be a good party song. There's no depth to the lyrics, and there's no reference to Toby's faith apart from a couple lines in the bridge (unlike its predecessors, The Slam and Boomin'). Maybe I am being a prude, but I've gotten used to Toby combining great beats and honest, Christian lyrics; I can't stand the lack of depth here.

Changed Forever (9/10): Love this song. Nirva, as usual, is putting that amazing voice to good use, and Toby does a great job, particularly on the bridge. Not really sure what to say; just go and listen to it!

Hold On (5/10): My dislike of this song is probably just my own tastes; I don't like the style of the song, and I really don't like that Toby's using voice modification. Good lyrics, though.

Loud 'n' Clear (7/10): Ah, it's been so cool listening to Truman change through his tracks. He's gotten pretty good at free-styling, and he's got a bright future ahead of him. I'll be very interested to see where he goes with his music.

Hey Devil (8/10): This is pretty different compared to his usual stuff, but it's a catchy song. Definitely feels like a throwback to the older Newsboys and to dc Talk.

Wonderin' (4/10): The lyrics are pretty good, but the music itself is, for lack of a better word, boring. Where's the hip-hop flair? Maybe it'll grow on me, but right now I just tend to skip this track.

Captured (6/10): When I first listened to this, I kept waiting for a hook; it felt too quiet, too calm. I enjoy the lyrics, but I feel like the it should have the passion of 'Tonight' or 'Changed Forever' behind it. It was disappointing, but it's not a terrible song.

Start Somewhere (8/10): Another good track. The style is a different from the rest of the songs on the album, and it's not a bad thing (love the horns). The lyrics are great, and I like the honesty behind them.

Break Open the Sky (7/10): Toby goes reggae, and the result is pretty good. Israel did a good job, and as the song goes on, I feel like it just gets better. I'm normally not a big fan of reggae, but I actually enjoy this a lot more than I'd initially expected. The hidden track is pretty funny, too.

Overall: 6.7/10
It's not a horrible album, but a lot of the tracks don't have the drive I've come to associate with tobyMac. As another reviewer said, many of the tracks feel like b-sides. Many of these songs you'll either love, or you'll be turned off by 'em. I'd still recommend it; several of the songs are absolutely amazing, and you might find some of the other songs grow on you (that's what happened with Portable Sounds, so I might very well find myself liking some of the songs I rated low in this review).
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought Tonight because of the deal at the local LifeWay (I got the single City on Our Knees w/ some remixes and $10 in store credit to buy the $10 CD!) I haven't purchased a Toby Mac album since DC Talk broke up. There have been some great singles but the overall sound wasn't for me. I miss the driving rock and the eclectic mix of rap and techno that DC Talk showed on Supernatural. Imagine my pleasant surprise when the first song that came on was the title track with John Cooper of Skillet (of whom my daughter once said, "It sounds like he has a bad sore throat!")

Tonight was exactly what I was looking for! Get Back Up reminded me of some of Toby's recent hits and even though it's not my normal genre I enjoyed it. Skip Funky Jesus Music, which is forgettable, and you get to City on Our Knees, which is way played out on the radio but still catchy. The last track that I enjoyed was Changed Forever, which features the excellent Nirva Ready. From that point on though the album gets less enjoyable and more redundant. With songs such as Wonderin', Start Somewhere and Break Open the Sky, the album ends with a whimper.

Tonight features some songs that will undoubtedly become hits (Tonight, Get Back Up, and Changed Forever) but there is a lot here that we won't remember by the time the next Toby Mac album comes out. This is an OK album, but not a great one.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon June 12, 2010
Although Tobymac has had the most success of the three dcTalk members since their 'intermission', his music is still but a shadow of the greatness of his former group.

As with his previous solo efforts, there are a couple of really good songs on this and much of the rest is simply ok.

I think that 'Get Back Up' and 'City On Our Knees' are the class of this album. They are certainly worth buying, but digital copies of just those two would have worked for me. The rest of the album is certainly appropriate lyrically for any young listeners, but the sound just does not do much for me on the other songs.
on February 17, 2014
I heard of TobyMac via a studio CD: "Eye on It," which I really enjoyed. Only after I had already purchased the "Tonight" CD did I find out that MOST of his material is much too loud a chaotic for me to hang on for the message. A lot of "LIVE" stuff. Note: I am in my early 60's
on March 18, 2010
This is my second Toby Mac CD. I have a lot of respect for him, but his CD's have really let me down with the quality of songs. He always has some unbelievable songs on the radio, so I get excited and purchase his album. When all-in-all I am let down by the CD itself.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
While this is entirely enjoyable, it is no doubt aimed more at radio airplay then ever before. Some may like that. Still worth the purchase.
on November 26, 2012
I bought this based on a couple of songs I liked, but the whole album is disappointing. I should have just bought the ones I like.
on July 18, 2011