Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Price:$86.99+ $7.99 shipping

on October 22, 2003
I bought this for my oldest son in December 2002 (ten years ago now) and it was one of his favorite toys for a long time. Both he and my middle son have outgrown it, and now my youngest plays with it and it is still going strong -- the wheels are intact and working, no broken parts or serious body damage. I've always had good experiences with Tonka's metal trucks and this firetruck is no exception. Here's what we like about it:

> It has held up to the worst my boys have been able to dish out.
> The size is perfect. Big enough to push and run with but not so big it can't be stored easily in the closet. (My son "parks" his in the garage.)
> The ladders on the side and top move and/or removable, which he likes.
> The top has an opening and he puts his Little People figures in there so they can drive.

If your son likes cars and trucks and running up and down the sidewalk with them, this is the toy for you.
0Comment58 of 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2003
My three year old got this for Christmas from my parents, and both he and my 19-month-old son love playing with it. We love that it has no sounds, lights, or automated movement - it's just pure imagination and creativity when they play with it. The truck is very durable and, although it has two ladders that are removable, they are easy to put back in place and are very sturdy. The extendable ladder does come apart occasionally, but it is also easy to put back together. It is also great for outdoor play due to the lack of batteries and electronics. A classic toy!
0Comment41 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2002
I LOVE THIS ONE GREAT TOY...VERY DURABLE...OPEN SIDES WHERE WINDOWS ARE SO YOU CAN PUT LITTLE MEN IN THERE....ALSO HAS LADDERS THAT ARE VERY DURABLE AND HARD TO BREAK...ITS ALSO BIG....DOESN'T HAVE SOUNDS A PLUS FOR PARENTS...MY 3 YR OLD SON LOVES THIS TOY TO DEATH ITS ONE OF HIS FAVORITES
on November 13, 2002
This is a HUGE fire truck. My boys love to zoom it around the house. It really doesn't do much else but any boy who loves fire trucks has to have this. As far as durablility, we've kept it an inside toy and my boys have put it to the test and it is still in near perfect condition.
on December 1, 2004
My son listed a fire truck as the thing he most wanted for Christmas this year, and I was pleased to find the Tonka Mighty Fire Truck. I had a Tonka fire truck when I was a child, and I still remember how much fun I had playing with it. Tonka trucks are built strong for hours of play, and the Mighty Fire Truck is no exception. The construction is very strong, with most of the truck being made from steel. Even the plastic parts, such as the wheels and ladders, are strong and durable. The ladders can be removed and allow the child to use their imagination with them. I played with my Tonka fire truck for hours when I was a child, and I hope my son gets as much enjoyment from his new truck as I did . I highly recommend this great truck. It is strong, the colors are bright, and it allows for a lot of fun, imaginitave play. Buy this truck for your child and you'll soon see why Tonka trucks are the best!
on January 9, 2011
Our two-year-old received this for his birthday and loved it. The problem was sustaining play without figures. His people from other vehicles are all Fisher Price and too round for the ladder or driving compartment. After searching for a bit we purchased the Le Van Budkin bendy fire fighters. The are the perfect size for the truck and have brought a new dimension of play.
on February 6, 2010
I got this for my grandson for Christmas. He loves it, pushes it around, makes the fire truck noises and generally has a great time with it. I think that a child actually playing with a toy is the best indicator of whether or not it is a good toy. This fits the bill for any child who is really into trucks.
on September 1, 2008
This is a great update on a classic Tonka and the classic look, feel, and durability I grew up with are still there. But, this sells for $25.99 new at Toys R Us and most other retailers. Shop around. Now find me a mint Tonka cement mixer in green, and I'll part with $69.99, but not for a new toy readily available elsewhere.
on September 7, 2012
I bought this Tonka Fire Truck for my 4-year old grandson who is crazy about fire engines, firefighters and all emergency vehicles. He has a couple of other Tonka trucks and plays with them regularly. He was very pleased to be given the fire engine too, and spends time with it, imagining situations in which it is needed. From my point of view, it is too "plasticky". From his point of view, the equipment on it - hoses, lights, alarms etc.- are missing. They are only lightly indicated on the plastic and he wants to be able to use them and move them about. As a toy, I can only rate it as OK - it is disappointing, since with a little more thought applied to the design,it could have been so much better.
on May 13, 2012
This fire truck is so durable and ideal for a wide range of ages that I felt compelled to write my first review ever after buying from Amazon for the past decade. My 17 month son is obsessed with fire trucks and I've done a very complete search on line and in retail stores and it turned out that the fire truck we had previously purchased for our older nephews to keep at our house so they would have toys to place with when visiting was also our toddlers favorite toy!

Since my 17 month old really got into fire trucks I have spent a good amount of time researching and looking for a good fire truck for my son but the one we already had is the best on the market as my older nephews aged 5 - 10 have been enjoying it for years. No sounds or batteries or anything to break. Very durable takes a pounding! Room to place "people" toys in the driver seat thanks to open "sun roof" - ladder extends and moves up and down - there are no small parts and the ladder does come apart and there are also ladders on the side that can be taken off but there are no small parts and they are very easy to attach back to the fire truck. If you are looking for a durable fire truck that will with stand the test of time and rough play and keep interest from kids of a very wide range that like fire trucks but also have an imagination - I promise you this is the fire truck!