Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Price:$38.03+ $3.19 shipping

on November 5, 2010
I had the original version of this truck when I was a kid (about 6 or 7) and had it until I was 19 (ultimately it was lost when I moved). For over 10 years, my friends and I Stress-tested it before deciding it was THE TOUGHEST STRONGEST TOY EVER! In September 2010, I bought this version for my 2 year old, he and friend opened it at 9:30am and by 12:15pm the dump bed was warped and bent!
22 comments96 of 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2010
The Tonkas of 20 years ago were made of quality metal with incidental plastic pieces. My brother and I had a couple of them and they held up where few toys. This truck has a few metal parts, including the thin sheet metal bed. There is more steel in this toy than most toys in production today, but to call it a "steel" truck is misleading. It is mostly plastic.

That said, the toy is great. My son loves it. When he was smaller, he enjoyed sitting int he back while I pushed him around in it. It was a great way to keep him entertained and more importantly, quiet while I made a phone call. It has held up well despite its high polymer content. Trucks are one of my son's favorite things now and this toy has a lot of entertainment value. It looks enough like the dump trucks at construction sites, even though it is modeled after those that work strip mines.

False advertising aside, the toy is a good value and a great truck.
0Comment45 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2011
Con: It's not as good, as big or as deep as the steel Tonka dump-truck I had as a kid.
Pro: That being said, it's about as good as you're going to get in these days of cheap imports. I gave it to my three-year-old nephew for his birthday. He loved it. It also has a nice hydraulic feature that I don't recall the old model having. After you dump something out, the bed slowly returns to its original position. I don't recall that feature being on the old truck I had as a kid.
11 comment20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2011
If you're looking for "steel" in the spirit of the Tonka trucks you grew up with, you can forget about it. Only the bucket is steel, and very thin. The rest is cheap plastic. The good news is, with the general quality of toys currently on the market, your kids won't know any different, and will likely be much happier than you with your purchase. The second disappointment for me came when I saw the same truck in Walmart for about $3 cheaper.
on January 11, 2011
My son loved this on Christmas morning - spent hours loading and dumping candy out of it. He's kind of "over it" now, but I'm sure when the weather warms up, he'll be loading rocks and sand into it in the back yard. good, well-built, solid truck.
on April 25, 2013
My Grandson LOVES it...if you want a truck, that is built to last, this is it! we are very pleased with it
on March 4, 2012
I bought the truck for my nephew for christmas and to my surprise the steel Tonka truck was made out of plastic primarily not steel as advertised only the bed is steel. I had tonka trucks as a child and they were steel. I would not have purchase the truck if it had not stated it was steel.
on July 14, 2013
Not the old fashion Tonka Trucks I grew up playing with. I bought it for my grandson and unlike the commercial that use to show the elephant standing on the truck, I guarantee this one couldn't handle that.
on April 16, 2011
Yes, part of this truck is made of plastic, but by today's standards it is quite durable. Works as it should and is loads of fun for my kid.
on March 28, 2013
it was well and nice package, arrived in good time and is being used, requirement where and sometime the box is way to big

See 1 answered question