4.0 out of 5 stars OK, Are People missing the fact that this is a re-issue?
Published on January 20, 2006 by Jeff

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Disappointing song selection. Feels like some old side B's used to flesh out the album.
Published on March 3, 2006 by rembo

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, Are People missing the fact that this is a re-issue?, January 20, 2006
This review is from: Tony Bennett Sings for Lovers (Audio CD)
OK, I love Tony Bennett, but nowhere did it say on Amazon that this is a compilation re-issue of work Tony did in the 70's on Concord records with the likes of Bill Evans and others. Concord PR people call this a kind of jazz period for Tony which is absurd since he dabbled in it his entire career. I am not disappointed, I just wish there was full disclosure of the content on Amazon. The CD itself does disclose this information. Thanks go to Concord for the re-issue. Is Tony done with Columbia? If so, Concord - please sign him again!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars That voice!! :-(), January 13, 2006
Little Miss Cutey (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tony Bennett Sings for Lovers (Audio CD)
Now I have to admit, that this is not the kind of music I would normally listen to, but I can't help picking up new Tony Bennett cd's purely for the extraordinary voice of his. It's so smooth and silky and he does still have it even after all of the years. To me, there are quite a few great songs on here, but again, just to hear his voice is a treat, so fans of his or fans of his music will both love this new cd. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tony is the Master, February 16, 2006
This review is from: Tony Bennett Sings for Lovers (Audio CD)
Tony Bennett is a master at all he sings. I was so glad to see him win a Grammy for yet another great album, "The Art of Romance".

This is great collection of love songs. Some I've heard, some are new to me. If you are in mood for some classic romance, you can't go wrong with Tony Bennett. If he can't get you in the mood for love, there is something wrong with you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tony sings love songs--BRAVO, TONY BENNETT !!!, June 5, 2008
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tony Bennett Sings for Lovers (Audio CD)
Tony Bennett Sings for Lovers is a beautiful collection of love songs performed by the great Tony Bennett. Tony sings these with panache and the sound quality couldn't be better. These love songs are truly timeless and that's terrific. The artwork is very nicely done, too.

"My Foolish Heart" starts the CD off with Tony crooning this magnificent love song; he handles complicated tempo and key changes very well--almost effortlessly, it seems. Of course, we know it really wasn't so easy--Tony's talent always carried him through! The piano arrangement is also very pretty. "Isn't It Romantic" gets the royal treatment from Tony who sings this to perfection--and beyond! Tony's voice is in excellent form and it seems that nobody could sing this as well as Tony does. Sure, his voice may have deepened a bit with age; but I think on this number this more mature voice actually enhances the natural beauty of this ballad. I love it! There's also the classic "This Can't Be Love;" "This Can't Be Love" gets a jazzy arrangement and the electric guitar works wonders for this ballad.

"I Could Write A Book" features Tony front and center--right where he belongs! Tony aces this easily and I really like "I Could Write A Book." "Thou Swell" is a major highlight of this album; Tony sings this with all his heart and soul; and I could never tire of hearing Tony Bennett sing "Thou Swell" with this somewhat jazzy arrangement that wisely never overshadows him. Great! In addition, "My Heart Stood Still" shines like silver and gold as Tony sings this so very well; "My Heart Stood Still" has a very sweet melody and I think you'll like "My Heart Stood Still" very much.

"You Don't Know What Love Is" sounds fresh and new when Tony sings this with all his might; and the piano arrangement again is very elegant. "My Romance" is yet another timeless classic love song that charms me with its beauty; and Tony Bennett makes this a masterpiece! Tony adds a few tempo changes to put his own stamp on "My Romance;" and it all works very well. "As Time Goes By" comes from the movie Casablanca; Dooley Wilson sang this in that movie--but when Tony sings this number I think Dooley would be very proud! Tony's excellent diction bolsters his performance, too.

"Bridges (Travessia)" has a great musical arrangement; and the CD ends strong with Tony Bennett singing "Some Other Time." "Some Other Time" also features a wonderful piano arrangement and Tony sings this with all his heart. It's wonderful.

Tony Bennett truly is an American institution; and albums like this prove he's one of the best male vocalists we have ever seen. I highly recommend this for Tony Bennett fans; and people who like classic love songs will appreciate this album as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars The last of the Crooners, January 14, 2006
Matt C. Demko (walnutport, pennsylvania United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tony Bennett Sings for Lovers (Audio CD)
So tired of people hopping on the Rod Stewart bandwagon. Rod Stewart should stick to what he knows and not make a mockery of the American Songbook. 79 Years old and Tony Bennett is the last of his kind and has more talent than any of these new hacks. Tony is just doing the same thing hes done for almost 60 years, its a shame people end up buying a Rod Stewart Songbook album... just shows ignorance and lack of taste. Rock and Roll artist with a gravel voice singing standards.. please. Get a Sinatra or Bennett album and hear what the soundbook should sound like. Bennett shows his age on this album but handles the songs well and definetly makes this a worthwhile purchase, only reason it gets 4 stars is because Bennett in his prime was untouchable.

5.0 out of 5 stars TONY TONY TONY, January 10, 2006
HEEEEE'S BACK.

Yeah another Tony Bennet album. How could you not love this master of mood that refuses to go away quietly into the night. One could say he is following in the footsteps of Rod Stewart by playing someold stand bys in a bygone era. But this woud be false. This is Tony's era. If anything Rod is following Tony. Either way, they are both bringing back a forgotten style of music to the masses and I for one support that to its fullest.

5.0 out of 5 stars another 'Tony" hit, December 21, 2009
Nancy A. Kelly "Book worm" (Colorado Springs, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tony Bennett Sings for Lovers (Audio CD)
Thought I had every album of Mr. B's but somehow I missed this one. There are a lot of songs on here that aren't on my other recordings so I was pleasantly surprised. Of course, in my eyes (and ears, especially), there isn't a song that he doesn't do well.

5.0 out of 5 stars tony bebbett sing for lovers, March 10, 2006
This review is from: Tony Bennett Sings for Lovers (Audio CD)
Tony is one of my alltime favorite singers and this album with great old favorites is one of his best

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, March 3, 2006
rembo (New Jersey) - See all my reviews

Tony Bennett Sings for Lovers
Tony Bennett Sings for Lovers by Tony Bennett (Audio CD - 2006)