UPDATED ON 05/21/2013:
----------------------
Having spent many months with this book, here are a few updates to my earlier review:
Published on April 18, 2012 by planetregin

3.0 out of 5 stars The videos are better.
I was expecting a lot more from this book. However, the videos he produces are much better. The book is a little to vague and simplistic but the videos go into detail in such a way that they are easy to follow and very informative for even more experienced photographers. If I were rating the videos alone they would get 5 stars.
Published 13 months ago by Greg S. Johnston

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like fine wine... this books keeps getting better with time!, April 18, 2012
planetregin (Jacksonville, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography (Kindle Edition)
UPDATED ON 05/21/2013:
----------------------
- There are a ton of advanced photography techniques covered in this book: Underwater, Star Trails, Macro, Light painting, advanced lighting techniques, etc. So it never gets boring or exhausted. As a amateur or pro photographer, there is always some challenge or technique that you can move on to.
- The Facebook group for this book is great and everyday one can see great images clicked by readers of this book.
- Great updated gear-buying advice
- Did I already say this books keeps getting better with time? I have seen a number of great updates since, a lot of them based on reader feedback and needs.
----------------------

This is a fantastic find and really helped me get a lot from my DSLR camera. Excellent instructions, tons of pictures and a friendly writing style makes one feel as if a pro photographer is guiding you step by step and teaching you his tricks. There are exercises that help you retain what you learn. I recommend you do the exercises (if you are new to the technique) and not just read the book passively. That way you can recreate those techniques when actually shooting pictures.

I was under the impression that pro photographers always whipped out their cameras and right away shot their for-the-magazines-final pictures with each click. I felt editing a photograph was not ok and there were so many other myths that I had as a newbie. Being in the field for quite some time, Tony explains the need to persevere, take hundreds of pictures, keep just the good ones and discard the rest, edit and touch-up as required and so many things that made taking great pictures seem so much feasible and accessible to me. (Yes, most great work is still 99% perspiration as of today.)

This book does not dabble in a lot of unnecessary camera lingo and settings, but just what's necessary coupled with tips and techniques to actually get those pictures. While a photography student will not mind studying all the alphabets, others like me appreciate getting straight to the point on how to get a good portrait, how to get a good landscape, what are the pitfalls to avoid, etc. So this book works great in that respect. The author mainly gives Canon/Nikon examples, but they work well for someone like me using a Sony DSLR.

The organization of the book is great. The resources it mentions and links are great. The constant updates the author is committed to is amazing. Just yesterday, months after its release, I saw a new video added into YouTube for this book (which I think will make into the pages of the digital edition soon). Lots of great accessories are explained. Tony keeps in touch with the readers through the book's Facebook page and that is a great personal touch the author puts in.

I think it will be great if the index was a little more expanded with subheadings (at least the major ones). The other day I was looking for information on RAW files (I remember reading it earlier in this book) but had a hard time finding its location.

Overall an excellent resource for newbies and others alike. I have already recommended it to many and will continue to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is why you want a Kindle, August 9, 2012
J. Urie (Pennsylvania USA) - See all my reviews
I have recently purchased a Nikon 3100 and bought the corresponding "dummies" book, which about matches my photography expertise. So, now I know how to use my new camera....right? Nope. Now I need education on how to take photographs with my fancy new toy so that they look better than my iPhone snapshots. Enter Tony's book. Since there are a ton of reviews on the paper version, you can pretty much figure out that the content is excellent. I will focus on the electronic version.

First of all, this is a great book in any form--hard copy or ebook. However, as far as I can tell, there are a bunch of great paper books out there on DSLR photography. When I downloaded the Kindle sample and read through it, I knew that the ebook format was the way to go.

I've owned a Kindle since version 1, and now own the Fire. Tony's book should be a primer on how to properly create an ebook. The embedded links and videos, as well as the ability to grab the sample photos and enlarge for detailed study (need an Internet connection for the latter two items) is invaluable to rank photography newbs like me. The videos are top-notch and contain many side-by-side examples of how pictures are improved when applying the techniques that are covered in the video. The videos are stuck in the appropriate place in the book, which leads to excellent learning flow as you build on the lessons. The experiences on the Kindle Fire and the iPad and PC Kindle apps are equally excellent.

Tony has indicated that he plans on improving and updating the ebook contents, which all buyers will be able to download as they become available. This is a refreshing change to the "quick scan, make a buck and forget" mentality that the big publishers follow. I will try to update my review as this new content becomes available.

Finally, the price. Tony has evidently not subscribed to the overpriced ebook mentality that has been the source of thousands of complaints on Amazon. Compared to the phyiscal version, he is charging about half. Obviously Tony wants to sell many books reasonably rather than try to gouge us buyers. Again, very refreshing.

I am looking forward to improving my nonexistent skills over the years using Tony's book as my teacher. No matter which version you buy, you will do well. However, I strongly suggest you go for the ebook.

5.0 out of 5 stars This should be an example on how to write an e-book!, April 23, 2013
I cannot say enough good things about this book.

I have been wanting to get better at photography for awhile, but was kind of hopping around between online tutorials and tips here and there, and didn't feel I was making a lot of progress. I decided to purchase this book to make sure that I had everything in an organized manner... and I'm so glad that I did!

The book starts at the beginning and moves through all the basic elements of photography, covering things like quick tips, composition, depth of field, lighting, etc. (Aperture, ISO, Shutter Speed, Camera Equipment, etc. are all covered.) After learning the basics, the book has later chapters that have detailed ideas for Portraits, landscapes, macro photography, photographing animals, weddings, night photography, underwater photography, HDR techniques, and more.

I am a natural editor, and I can't stand to read books that have a lot of "fluff," where I am constantly trying to fix the book in my mind. While this book has quite a bit of content, it is written so that every word counts. As you read it, you never feel like you're wasting your time. Each sentence is informative and interesting and occasionally funny.

The book is illustrated with lovely, original pictures and examples that really illustrate the principle being taught.

However, probably the best part is the VIDEOS. As you read, there are 3 hours worth of video illustrating and reinforcing each concept being taught. It almost feels like an online course. And when you combine the fact that purchase of the book gives you access to Tony's Facebook page where people including Tony and Chelsea give tips and techniques, this book is an incredible value. It is almost like taking a photography course, but so much cheaper! Well worth the money.

This book would be great in print, but it works especially well on an ipad or a kindle fire or something like that.

If you want to learn more about photography, this book is for you. You won't regret getting it. I have convinced several family members to buy it as well, and they all really like it.

And the proof is in the result. I started an album on my facebook (trying to follow Tony's tip to use your pictures) and do you know what some of my friends said? "Stunning."

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book and Responsive Author, July 15, 2013
I don't believe I've ever written a review, but after purchasing this book, and interacting with the author I am compelled to do so. I have a stressful job so I decided to take up photography as a way of relaxing. My wonderful wife has a Canon T3i that was begging to get used beyond the auto-pilot mode. I couldn't sleep the other night, and read the book cover to cover and watched the movies that are tied to the chapters--I was really impressed at how good it was. After reading it through quickly, I'm going back chapter by chapter to begin to experiment as the author implores you to do, and learn how to take great photo's. I spent the weekend revamping my wife's file system on her new iMac so I have a solid platform to begin the journey--another tip from his book!

In the book the author states you can email him a copy of the receipt, and you will get updates to the book, and then also have the ability to join the Facebook group. I did as directed thinking it would be weeks before I heard back, but the next morning I had the updates and some kind words from him waiting for me in my inbox. I was floored on how quickly he responded to the request. Working in a field where customer service makes or breaks you--this is exceptional, and the reason I'm writing my first review. Buy the book, you will learn a lot, and have an experience like no other. Thanks Tony--You Rock!

5.0 out of 5 stars gets the priorities right, December 8, 2012
Philip Greenspun (Cambridge, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I'm the founder of photo.net (started in 1993), so I've seen a lot of photography tutorials. This might be my favorite so far in terms of density of practical information. I appreciate that composition and lighting are covered before the "what do the buttons do" stuff that is typically found in a camera owner's manual anyway. Specific photographic situations, e.g., weddings or portraits, are covered with actionable advice packaged into 10-30 pages.

A very functional book designed for busy people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., April 24, 2013
I bought the print version of this book as it currently comes with instructions on how to also get the regularly updated e-book version for free, (in several of the popular formats). I'd have possibly just bought the e-book version otherwise, but this is a great idea that I wish many other publishers would consider and it definitely convinced me to spend the extra for the print version to read when I'm home, and to have the e-book version with me when I'm not.

I've only recently taking the jump from a bridge camera to a full blown DSLR. The (6 month) earlier jump I made from a simple point and click camera to a bridge camera that offered full manual and program modes, plus aperture and shutter priority modes really whetted my appetite and interest in photography further so I finally convinced myself that a Nikon DSLR was a purchase I could justify.

Within days of receiving the camera I decided a good reference and "how-to" guide would be useful. I didn't realize at the time I wasn't just buying a book - I was buying access to a wonderful online community, resource center, video tutorials, and much more. Wow. The lengths those responsible for this book have gone to to provide a truly fantastic resource for their readers is unprecedented and incredibly useful - for novices or more experienced and seasoned photographers. The private Facebook group allows those who have bought this book to post their photos and have their work critiqued and commented upon, often by the author himself, to ask for help and advice - or to give help and advice, or perhaps to just to feel connected with other like minded hobbyists and photography enthusiasts.

As for the book itself, it is presented wonderfully with full color examples where needed. The advice given is sound and comprehensive and there are many links to online video tutorials scattered through-out the book that further reinforce the lessons given on the page. The author took all the example photos himself rather than use stock images, so you know that what he is telling you gives you the essential knowledge to create your own similar photos.

This is a great book with great advice and it deserves five stars for that alone. The online community that the purchaser can access (for free) upon purchase means there are not enough stars available on the Amazon review system that this product deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, February 13, 2012
I absolutely love everything about this guide! I own other photography publications (some, even issued to me when I studied photography in college) and they are not nearly as concise, up-to-date and informative as this one is. The first few chapters alone make will give you a much better idea of photo composition, technique and method than some books cover in their entirety. Very neatly organized, and packed with helpful information, this book is simply a must have! I purchased the Kindle Fire edition and was pleasantly surprised to find it packed with even MORE bonuses (informative videos, clickable hyperlinks) and look forward to keeping it on hand as a field guide while I am out in the world, shooting photos. Furthermore, Tony's DSLR book would make a great gift for any budding photographer enthusiast. Thanks for sharing your years of expertise and intimate knowledge of photo composition in one beautiful, easy to understand book, Tony!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wealth of information, October 13, 2013
ABOUT THE TITLE
Please do not think that by reading this book you will be producing Pulitzer prize images. It's just not going to happen. You will learn how to take much better photos though. Tony takes stunning photos. You will take better photos.

ABOUT THE BOOK
The great thing about this book is that it incorporates videos to SHOW what the author is talking about. The book is geared for beginners to mid level intermediate users. Advanced intermediate users might get something out of this book but will probably already know most of the material. The author's wife, Chelsea, does some of the videos and she is pretty good. I would recommend starting from the beginning of the book as some of the concepts are dependent on previous chapters.

The author will talk about the rule of thirds, focal point, important information like not taking close up portraits with wide angle lenses, the rule of space, exposure, and so on. You will even get to see their dog named Cowboy. Cowboy is so cute!

ACCESSING VIDEOS
If you have the kindle version of the book (Kindle Fire) then just click on the link in the kindle book and the video will play automatically. If you have the physical book and you have a phone running Andriod then you will need the scanning software app called QR Droid which is free. Launch the scanning software, place your phone's camera over the barcode, press scan, then the video will launch.

There are pros and cons to the kindle version and the physical version of the book.

KINDLE VERSION
I love the idea of just clicking a link on my kindle to see a video but to see the videos you need a wi-fi connection or 4g connection on your kindle. In other words, you cannot just store the videos on your Kindle (but if you have a cell phone with unlimited data then you can type in the url to watch a video). An advantage of the Kindle Fire is that if you do not feel like reading the book you can just enable text-to-speech. Also, when looking at images on the kindle fire, you can make the images larger by just double clicking on the photo. As a side note, this book for the kindle cost less than $10.

PHYSICAL BOOK
My cell phone has an unlimited data plan so the book works out well, I can take the book with me and if I want to watch a video then just scan the bar code. Of course you can always type in the tiny url if you fancy doing so. The physical book is in full color! The list cost of the physical book is about $25 but amazon sells the book for about $18.

USER GROUP
By purchasing the book you are not just getting a book with videos, you are buying into a system. There is a private Facebook group exclusively for anyone who has bought the book. Also the book comes with free upgrades.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd had this book when I was a teenager -- or even five years ago., March 25, 2013
I have been a shutterbug since I was 19 years old, back in the Jurassic era. Back then I used a Nikon F2 and a 240mm lens to take pictures at rock concerts, and a 50mm to do candid portraits at school. I knew nothing about technique and the bare minimum that one could get from a one-term college class about style. Fast forward 35 years. I'm finally secure enough to think about hobbies, and get back into photography. I spent $1500 on a correspondence course in photography, which taught me quite a bit, bought a couple of digital Nikon bodies and a few lenses and started having fun.

There was NOTHING in that $1500 correspondence course that was not covered in this book, and in some cases more clearly. Tony's explanations of more technical concepts are very clear and the embedded videos (on Kindle) reinforced them beautifully. The book is comprehensive and very up to date, and he makes specific recommendations about gear and software. In addition he generously critiques work by students of the book, in a Facebook group (which I have yet to locate, unfortunately).

Tony, Tony, where were you when I was 19? (Probably a gleam in his daddy's eye!) If I were 19 again I'd run away and try to get a job as your assistant. This is the best single book on photography I've ever seen, hands down.

Any chance I could get invited into that Facebook group?

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning book on stunning digital photography, October 21, 2013
G. Smith "Egghead" (Longmont, Co United States) - See all my reviews
While I won't say that any of my work yet qualifies as "stunning", I know that this book will help me get there. Of course, it's not just a book that you're buying, as you also get access to several online communities with which to share your photos and ask questions. If you're a beginner, this is one of the best investments you can make as it will take you from the beginning to an advanced-intermediate photographer. If you're already more advanced, then the book will have less to teach you, but your feedback to the Northrups about what you'd like to see in the book can make it better for everyone. I've already contacted Tony twice - he was extremely nice and helpful.

The videos in the book are extremely helpful and really do add a lot to each chapter. The formatting is clear, the writing makes sense and there's enough material to keep a beginner learning for at least a year of hard study. I will say that the Kindle version's formatting is a bit funky, but when you sign up for the online communities, you get access to all of the digital versions, including a PDF (very flexible) and iPad (my personal favorite) copy.

It's possible to find this information elsewhere on the Internet, but for the price, you get everything in one, easy to read book packaged with lots of extras, all written and maintained by real, helpful professionals. I can't recommend this book enough.

Rate and Discover Movies