UPDATED ON 05/21/2013:
----------------------
Having spent many months with this book, here are a few updates to my earlier review:
Published on April 18, 2012 by planetregin

3.0 out of 5 stars Current 2014
The book is well written if not a little superficial. Although Tony and Chelsea tout the videos and personal feedback if you
buy their book (and there's a new addition apparently), I found it impossible to get Youtube feedback even after subscribing
to their Youtube channel. There's a lot of tips in the videos but answer to a specific question: forget it...
Published 1 month ago by Mark Schottenfeld

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like fine wine... this books keeps getting better with time!, April 18, 2012
planetregin (Jacksonville, FL) - See all my reviews
UPDATED ON 05/21/2013:
----------------------
- There are a ton of advanced photography techniques covered in this book: Underwater, Star Trails, Macro, Light painting, advanced lighting techniques, etc. So it never gets boring or exhausted. As a amateur or pro photographer, there is always some challenge or technique that you can move on to.
- The Facebook group for this book is great and everyday one can see great images clicked by readers of this book.
- Great updated gear-buying advice
- Did I already say this books keeps getting better with time? I have seen a number of great updates since, a lot of them based on reader feedback and needs.
----------------------

This is a fantastic find and really helped me get a lot from my DSLR camera. Excellent instructions, tons of pictures and a friendly writing style makes one feel as if a pro photographer is guiding you step by step and teaching you his tricks. There are exercises that help you retain what you learn. I recommend you do the exercises (if you are new to the technique) and not just read the book passively. That way you can recreate those techniques when actually shooting pictures.

I was under the impression that pro photographers always whipped out their cameras and right away shot their for-the-magazines-final pictures with each click. I felt editing a photograph was not ok and there were so many other myths that I had as a newbie. Being in the field for quite some time, Tony explains the need to persevere, take hundreds of pictures, keep just the good ones and discard the rest, edit and touch-up as required and so many things that made taking great pictures seem so much feasible and accessible to me. (Yes, most great work is still 99% perspiration as of today.)

This book does not dabble in a lot of unnecessary camera lingo and settings, but just what's necessary coupled with tips and techniques to actually get those pictures. While a photography student will not mind studying all the alphabets, others like me appreciate getting straight to the point on how to get a good portrait, how to get a good landscape, what are the pitfalls to avoid, etc. So this book works great in that respect. The author mainly gives Canon/Nikon examples, but they work well for someone like me using a Sony DSLR.

The organization of the book is great. The resources it mentions and links are great. The constant updates the author is committed to is amazing. Just yesterday, months after its release, I saw a new video added into YouTube for this book (which I think will make into the pages of the digital edition soon). Lots of great accessories are explained. Tony keeps in touch with the readers through the book's Facebook page and that is a great personal touch the author puts in.

I think it will be great if the index was a little more expanded with subheadings (at least the major ones). The other day I was looking for information on RAW files (I remember reading it earlier in this book) but had a hard time finding its location.

Overall an excellent resource for newbies and others alike. I have already recommended it to many and will continue to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is why you want a Kindle, August 9, 2012
J. Urie (Pennsylvania USA) - See all my reviews
I have recently purchased a Nikon 3100 and bought the corresponding "dummies" book, which about matches my photography expertise. So, now I know how to use my new camera....right? Nope. Now I need education on how to take photographs with my fancy new toy so that they look better than my iPhone snapshots. Enter Tony's book. Since there are a ton of reviews on the paper version, you can pretty much figure out that the content is excellent. I will focus on the electronic version.

First of all, this is a great book in any form--hard copy or ebook. However, as far as I can tell, there are a bunch of great paper books out there on DSLR photography. When I downloaded the Kindle sample and read through it, I knew that the ebook format was the way to go.

I've owned a Kindle since version 1, and now own the Fire. Tony's book should be a primer on how to properly create an ebook. The embedded links and videos, as well as the ability to grab the sample photos and enlarge for detailed study (need an Internet connection for the latter two items) is invaluable to rank photography newbs like me. The videos are top-notch and contain many side-by-side examples of how pictures are improved when applying the techniques that are covered in the video. The videos are stuck in the appropriate place in the book, which leads to excellent learning flow as you build on the lessons. The experiences on the Kindle Fire and the iPad and PC Kindle apps are equally excellent.

Tony has indicated that he plans on improving and updating the ebook contents, which all buyers will be able to download as they become available. This is a refreshing change to the "quick scan, make a buck and forget" mentality that the big publishers follow. I will try to update my review as this new content becomes available.

Finally, the price. Tony has evidently not subscribed to the overpriced ebook mentality that has been the source of thousands of complaints on Amazon. Compared to the phyiscal version, he is charging about half. Obviously Tony wants to sell many books reasonably rather than try to gouge us buyers. Again, very refreshing.

I am looking forward to improving my nonexistent skills over the years using Tony's book as my teacher. No matter which version you buy, you will do well. However, I strongly suggest you go for the ebook.

5.0 out of 5 stars This should be an example on how to write an e-book!, April 23, 2013
This review is from: Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography (Paperback)
I cannot say enough good things about this book.

I have been wanting to get better at photography for awhile, but was kind of hopping around between online tutorials and tips here and there, and didn't feel I was making a lot of progress. I decided to purchase this book to make sure that I had everything in an organized manner... and I'm so glad that I did!

The book starts at the beginning and moves through all the basic elements of photography, covering things like quick tips, composition, depth of field, lighting, etc. (Aperture, ISO, Shutter Speed, Camera Equipment, etc. are all covered.) After learning the basics, the book has later chapters that have detailed ideas for Portraits, landscapes, macro photography, photographing animals, weddings, night photography, underwater photography, HDR techniques, and more.

I am a natural editor, and I can't stand to read books that have a lot of "fluff," where I am constantly trying to fix the book in my mind. While this book has quite a bit of content, it is written so that every word counts. As you read it, you never feel like you're wasting your time. Each sentence is informative and interesting and occasionally funny.

The book is illustrated with lovely, original pictures and examples that really illustrate the principle being taught.

However, probably the best part is the VIDEOS. As you read, there are 3 hours worth of video illustrating and reinforcing each concept being taught. It almost feels like an online course. And when you combine the fact that purchase of the book gives you access to Tony's Facebook page where people including Tony and Chelsea give tips and techniques, this book is an incredible value. It is almost like taking a photography course, but so much cheaper! Well worth the money.

This book would be great in print, but it works especially well on an ipad or a kindle fire or something like that.

If you want to learn more about photography, this book is for you. You won't regret getting it. I have convinced several family members to buy it as well, and they all really like it.

And the proof is in the result. I started an album on my facebook (trying to follow Tony's tip to use your pictures) and do you know what some of my friends said? "Stunning."

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book and Responsive Author, July 15, 2013
I don't believe I've ever written a review, but after purchasing this book, and interacting with the author I am compelled to do so. I have a stressful job so I decided to take up photography as a way of relaxing. My wonderful wife has a Canon T3i that was begging to get used beyond the auto-pilot mode. I couldn't sleep the other night, and read the book cover to cover and watched the movies that are tied to the chapters--I was really impressed at how good it was. After reading it through quickly, I'm going back chapter by chapter to begin to experiment as the author implores you to do, and learn how to take great photo's. I spent the weekend revamping my wife's file system on her new iMac so I have a solid platform to begin the journey--another tip from his book!

In the book the author states you can email him a copy of the receipt, and you will get updates to the book, and then also have the ability to join the Facebook group. I did as directed thinking it would be weeks before I heard back, but the next morning I had the updates and some kind words from him waiting for me in my inbox. I was floored on how quickly he responded to the request. Working in a field where customer service makes or breaks you--this is exceptional, and the reason I'm writing my first review. Buy the book, you will learn a lot, and have an experience like no other. Thanks Tony--You Rock!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wealth of information, October 13, 2013
ABOUT THE TITLE
Please do not think that by reading this book you will be producing Pulitzer prize images. It's just not going to happen. You will learn how to take much better photos though. Tony takes stunning photos. You will take better photos.

ABOUT THE BOOK
The great thing about this book is that it incorporates videos to SHOW what the author is talking about. The book is geared for beginners to mid level intermediate users. Advanced intermediate users might get something out of this book but will probably already know most of the material. The author's wife, Chelsea, does some of the videos and she is pretty good. I would recommend starting from the beginning of the book as some of the concepts are dependent on previous chapters.

The author will talk about the rule of thirds, focal point, important information like not taking close up portraits with wide angle lenses, the rule of space, exposure, and so on. You will even get to see their dog named Cowboy. Cowboy is so cute!

ACCESSING VIDEOS
If you have the kindle version of the book (Kindle Fire) then just click on the link in the kindle book and the video will play automatically. If you have the physical book and you have a phone running Andriod then you will need the scanning software app called QR Droid which is free. Launch the scanning software, place your phone's camera over the barcode, press scan, then the video will launch.

There are pros and cons to the kindle version and the physical version of the book.

KINDLE VERSION
I love the idea of just clicking a link on my kindle to see a video but to see the videos you need a wi-fi connection or 4g connection on your kindle. In other words, you cannot just store the videos on your Kindle (but if you have a cell phone with unlimited data then you can type in the url to watch a video). An advantage of the Kindle Fire is that if you do not feel like reading the book you can just enable text-to-speech. Also, when looking at images on the kindle fire, you can make the images larger by just double clicking on the photo. As a side note, this book for the kindle cost less than $10.

PHYSICAL BOOK
My cell phone has an unlimited data plan so the book works out well, I can take the book with me and if I want to watch a video then just scan the bar code. Of course you can always type in the tiny url if you fancy doing so. The physical book is in full color! The list cost of the physical book is about $25 but amazon sells the book for about $18.

USER GROUP
By purchasing the book you are not just getting a book with videos, you are buying into a system. There is a private Facebook group exclusively for anyone who has bought the book. Also the book comes with free upgrades.

5.0 out of 5 stars gets the priorities right, December 8, 2012
Philip Greenspun (Cambridge, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I'm the founder of photo.net (started in 1993), so I've seen a lot of photography tutorials. This might be my favorite so far in terms of density of practical information. I appreciate that composition and lighting are covered before the "what do the buttons do" stuff that is typically found in a camera owner's manual anyway. Specific photographic situations, e.g., weddings or portraits, are covered with actionable advice packaged into 10-30 pages.

A very functional book designed for busy people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this Book for your picture taking sanity, January 11, 2013
Holy Cow, a photography book that actually teaches you real world, usable techniques.
This book is spot on with what I needed to learn not only the controls of my camera but the elements of what it means to take a great digital picture and produce quality photos.
I am a casual, at best, photographer.
Actually, I am a novice at best. My spouse has always commented that my picture taking leaves something to be desired. I didn't understand all this "photography" lingo she used nor how to actually set up the camera or get the "right shot". The manuals didn't really help and I needed it. But, the problem was I had no idea what resource to use. They all seemed daunting; that is until I got a copy of this book.
This really is a simple to use, well informed guide to taking great digital pictures. I learned a lot from the examples and it was easy to follow.
I had never thought taking pictures needed to vary. I mean a picture is a picture, right? Wrong. I have a much better understanding of what that "composition" thing my wife always said I lacked. And I now understand the different settings and controls I should use to take a good picture. I used to take one photo and be done. Maybe 2 to make sure the eyes were opened. I know get it that I need to set up my camera, not just use the automated settings, and take a series. I need to look beyond the view finder. Go figure.

I really was impressed with the easy to understand approach this book gives. I recommend this book for anyone, regardless of skill level. It is a good read with great examples and easy to follow instruction. You'll start to enjoy picture taking in a whole other way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., April 24, 2013
I bought the print version of this book as it currently comes with instructions on how to also get the regularly updated e-book version for free, (in several of the popular formats). I'd have possibly just bought the e-book version otherwise, but this is a great idea that I wish many other publishers would consider and it definitely convinced me to spend the extra for the print version to read when I'm home, and to have the e-book version with me when I'm not.

I've only recently taking the jump from a bridge camera to a full blown DSLR. The (6 month) earlier jump I made from a simple point and click camera to a bridge camera that offered full manual and program modes, plus aperture and shutter priority modes really whetted my appetite and interest in photography further so I finally convinced myself that a Nikon DSLR was a purchase I could justify.

Within days of receiving the camera I decided a good reference and "how-to" guide would be useful. I didn't realize at the time I wasn't just buying a book - I was buying access to a wonderful online community, resource center, video tutorials, and much more. Wow. The lengths those responsible for this book have gone to to provide a truly fantastic resource for their readers is unprecedented and incredibly useful - for novices or more experienced and seasoned photographers. The private Facebook group allows those who have bought this book to post their photos and have their work critiqued and commented upon, often by the author himself, to ask for help and advice - or to give help and advice, or perhaps to just to feel connected with other like minded hobbyists and photography enthusiasts.

As for the book itself, it is presented wonderfully with full color examples where needed. The advice given is sound and comprehensive and there are many links to online video tutorials scattered through-out the book that further reinforce the lessons given on the page. The author took all the example photos himself rather than use stock images, so you know that what he is telling you gives you the essential knowledge to create your own similar photos.

This is a great book with great advice and it deserves five stars for that alone. The online community that the purchaser can access (for free) upon purchase means there are not enough stars available on the Amazon review system that this product deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, February 13, 2012
I absolutely love everything about this guide! I own other photography publications (some, even issued to me when I studied photography in college) and they are not nearly as concise, up-to-date and informative as this one is. The first few chapters alone make will give you a much better idea of photo composition, technique and method than some books cover in their entirety. Very neatly organized, and packed with helpful information, this book is simply a must have! I purchased the Kindle Fire edition and was pleasantly surprised to find it packed with even MORE bonuses (informative videos, clickable hyperlinks) and look forward to keeping it on hand as a field guide while I am out in the world, shooting photos. Furthermore, Tony's DSLR book would make a great gift for any budding photographer enthusiast. Thanks for sharing your years of expertise and intimate knowledge of photo composition in one beautiful, easy to understand book, Tony!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource for beginners and experienced photographers, September 20, 2014
I am delighted that the photos I take (and keep) are much better now! One day they may even be stunning. Many thanks.

The first few chapters are elementary - suitable for beginners to photography. Although I have been an amateur photographer for many years, I found the hints and the videos in those elementary chapters reminded me of important lessons, reinforced others, and even introduced some new ideas.

I especially like the advice "take lots of photos and delete most of them". In the old days of film photography, few amateurs could afford to do that. With digital cameras everyone can afford a couple of test shots to make sure everything is set right, provided we don't miss the moment. Kids and animals, as photographic subjects, make it almost impossible to judge the perfect moment, so snapping away and selecting the best shots later is much better than stalking them until the one "perfect shot" can be snapped. That one "perfect shot" is either half a second too early or too late.

The more advanced chapters dealing with various photographic subjects,and techniques of lighting, shooting, and post-processing are very useful indeed. The text, pictures and the videos give insights into photography that come from years of experience as a photographer. There are far too many insights to mention all, but here is just one: watching Chelsea pose for the camera made it clear to me that getting ready to have your photo taken is a skill. Being able to instantly strike an interesting pose, and add a winning smile, is a professional skill. Posing my non-model friends and relatives for a photo shoot requires patience and good humour - it should not be rushed or stressed. Also they need to understand I will take lots of photos of them, keep only the best few, and show them those shots after editing. Of course, I also try to apply the knowledge about lighting, equipment, ISO, aperture, shutter speed, tripods, remote control, and all the rest.

Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography
Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography by Tony Northrup (Paperback - December 1, 2012)
$24.99 $19.66