Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2012 10:57:23 AM PDT
Over priced! I thought the Kindle development was to keep the cost of buying books low and more affordable. Guess that thought is out the window.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 11:04:11 AM PDT
Cory says:
publishers, not amazon, set the price of ebooks.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 11:08:34 AM PDT
This is close to the MSRP of the book. £11.99 converts to $19.14. Source: http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/TheCasualVacancy

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 11:33:05 AM PDT
The Steve Jobs book was priced much the same as this. I did not buy it nor will I buy this one at this price.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 2:43:51 PM PDT
I agree this is insane. ebooks should never be any higher than the $9.99 we not so long ago paid. Then because of Steve Jobs we all got stuck with "his" idea of ebook value for the ipad of $12.99 and colaborated with Kindle and Nook. Then we have this publisher who says lets charge $19.99 for a digital down load. No thanks! I'm ready to sit on a waiting list at the public library and get to know all the books that Amazon has for a much more reasonable price. Amazon needs to step up to the plate and take care of your loyal clients.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 2:47:36 PM PDT
kate says:
I would read it at a reasonable price, which this is not. I like Rowling's writing, but I like a lot of other people too, and with almost 400 books on my Kindle now I can sit this one out until sanity sets in, if it ever does.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 3:06:31 PM PDT
Ridiculous price. I'll get it from the library.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 4:24:42 AM PDT
Butch says:
I totally agree. Tired of seeing popular authors selling their published books for outragious prices for Kindle. What does it cost to send me a Kindle version anyway? And then to want me to pay $19.99 for the versionis not acceptable. This is very frustrating. I bought a Kindle to avoid having to purchase hardcover or paperback books but I am spending the same amount of money on Kindle for some of the books.
Need to stop now.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 10:58:11 AM PDT
I think the publishers were not prepared for how popular ebooks would become, thus vastly cutting into their profits....so the solution, naturally, is to jack up the prices of the ebooks to recoup their losses. It's insane and I'm upset over it. The reason I got an ebook (as a gift) was because I could not afford the prices of paperbacks (I live on a small social security check), and there is no decent library within 65 miles of me (believe it or not, it's true).

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 2:42:08 AM PDT
I also bought kindle to save money handycaped senior with bad eyes and fixed income. Now all of a sudden any book seems to be only a couple of rollers less than paper backs. Guess these authors forgot where they came from and who butter's there bread. This book is really really really very overpriced on kindle. I am so angry I believe I will boycott her book kindle or paperback. Shame on her.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 2:53:37 AM PDT
Also the kindle books. Are soooo very green I am a advive reader a book or 2 a day. These books pile up and there you go...they save money on the kindle versions lots. And shame on amazon I haven't had a decent book for even the 9.99 price in months leveing the unreadinable unpopular books with impossable to view pis maps time lines etc etc. Bad bussiness. Well probably have to go back to the second hand books with lighted mag. And stop reading Mag's also. There needs to be something done. Who will be able to afire the kindle versions. Boycott outrageous kindle book prices or we will never

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 5:10:39 AM PDT
Butch says:
I think more of us should do this. I will certainly boycott her books and unfortunately I was a true Harry Potter fan. Just angers me so.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 8:32:50 PM PDT
Cory says:
yes, lets boycott the author for the publishers decisions.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 3:32:13 AM PDT
The price for this book on Kindle I am seeing is $24.34. Although I have grown to value the convenience of buying books on Kindle- let's face it, Kindly books do not work as well as paper copies for functionality AND you can't buy this book and on-lend it. So much as I would have liked to try out this new JK Rowling effort I flatly refuse to pay nearly $25 for a Kindle version.
It will be for sale cheaper than this in the cheaper department stores before Xmas and I might get it then.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 2:58:59 PM PDT
Butch says:
more people need to boycott Kindle books that cost $25.00. Not worth it. As stated before I purchased a Kindle in order to keep my purchase of books down. Rowling has made enough money off of Harry Potter why do publishers have to be so greedy.
Until prices come down I will not purchase a kindle book at this cost.
rjk20@aol.com

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 4:05:08 PM PDT
Grimes says:
Fine, don't buy it. Plenty of people will buy it at this price and do no more than shrug. The publisher knows this.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 7:25:12 AM PDT
Scott Hamby says:
I've had a Kindle since they first came out and love the ebook format but not at these prices. I'll wait and go to 1/2 price books and grab a copy there or from a friend that still reads paper.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 7:28:02 PM PDT
Steve F. says:
My children and I love the HP books and have great respect for Ms. Rowling's ability as a writer, but the $17.99 price is unconscionable. It is better to halve the price and double the sales than to sell a few at a ridiculous price.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 10:19:17 AM PST
bamer640 says:
I personally refuse to pay anything over $10 for an e-book. If its over $10 I will buy the physical book and usually will try to find a nice second hand version.

Posted on Apr 9, 2016 8:07:16 PM PDT
vesme says:
I remember buying hardcover books in the late nineties for thirty dollars. When you think about what it takes for someone to write a book and the small percentage that actually goes to the writer 12.99 as someone has mentioned isn't too bad. For those that want to read the book without purchasing it go the library or use the overdrive app.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Casual Vacancy forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 9, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about