Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 29, 2000
Linda White shows a side of life that people do not often see nowadays--the optimistic approach to life. What do you do when your childhood experiences have led you to, quite frankly, hate pumpkins, and through an odd twist of circumstances you end up with a houseful of them?! Make the best of it! Too Many Pumpkins is a wonderful (and educational--watch the seeds grow!) Autumn/Halloween book without the spooks and goblins that aren't always suitable for a bedtime story. This is a delightful read with beautiful illustrations that your children will love, and you won't mind reading it "just one more time." Go ahead--read it with your little Pumpkin...and then bake a pumpkin pie together.
on August 21, 2002
Rebecca Estelle has a problem on her hands. Rebecca Estelle is a white-haired woman who lives with her calico cat Esmeralda. She hates pumpkins because when she was a youngster her family was poor and ALL they had to eat was pumpkins. She doesn't even like to think about them. One day a truck loaded with pumpkins loses a pumpkin that smashes in Rebecca Estelle's yard and sends seeds flying every which way. When plants spring up she refuses to tend to them and just ignores them all summer long. She won't even go over near the space where the pumpkin smashed. In autumn, much to her surprise there is a huge pumpkin patch just filled with beautiful big orange pumpkins. At first she is horrified. There is a SEA of pumpkins! She uses her clever ingeniuity and her practical good sense to figure out a wonderful way to not only use up the pumpkins, but to attract many people to help her share the pumpkins. She ends up with a delightful party atmosphere, sharing a happy Halloween and she patches up her differences with pumpkins. The illustrations are utterly charming, brightly colored and filled with warm and homey country scenes. The feeling of autumn's hazy nostalgia and the wonderful aromas of harvest baking almost leap up out of the pages. Parents will enjoy reading this one every year at Halloween and the kids will love it for years to come.
on October 10, 1999
With a captivating and amusing storyline and brilliant illustrations, "Too Many Pumpkins" is a family favorite. It will delight the youngest reader and Mom and Dad will enjoy reading it over and over! It is a wonderful introduction to the world of gardening and the Halloween season while avoiding many of the things young children may find frightening about that holiday. Truly a treasure!
on January 5, 2004
This is a book that stays with you even when you are not reading it! My older son has adored this book for years and now my younger son is requesting it as well... I think I could probably recite it from memory at this point! We are often caught in the rhyme of "pumpkin muffins, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pies..." when found in the kitchen or picking pumpkins or other activities that remind us of this book! Definately a well read book in our house - and a keeper for the library for years to come! Oh, and amongst the enjoyment are heart-felt lessons to learn and grow on.
on November 3, 1998
A delightful lesson in what to do when life hands you too many pumpkins -- and you hate pumpkins!! In no way preachy or ponderous, this book shows what happens when you ignore a problem, and has lovely ideas of how to make the best of a bad situation, how to share and give to others.
Too Many Pumpkins is well-written, entertaining and fun to read aloud.
on September 26, 2000
This is a wonderful children's book! The illustrations were a delight. Hunter (age 6) and I thought it was just the right length for a good story. This book made Hunter want to bake a pie!
on October 10, 2015
My three year old and I loved too many pumpkins. (I'm not sure who enjoyed it more.). Rebecca Estelle doesn't like pumpkins, but, when one smashes to slimey smithereens in her yard one fall (my child loves this part), she learns to make the best of a bad situation. Before purchasing I had read some reviews stating this book had "strong language." Don't worry. It's fine for toddlers. (Older children would probably like it too, but I cannot say for certain.). I hope you enjoy!
on August 31, 2003
The story AND pictures in this book are outstanding. The story's rich character, Rebecca Estelle, comes to life on the page with Megan Lloyd's beautiful illustrations. If you love pumpkins and fall this book is a must have! I love it so much I read it over and over again all year...not just in the fall. However, I ALWAYS share it with my first graders in October and they love it as much as I do! A hardback edition is available from the publisher.
on September 1, 2005
We originally checked this book out of the library 2 years ago. We immediately loved it and bought our own copy. This is a favorite with my daughters, ages 3 and 5. They will request it all year long. This is probably the best children's book I have ever read. The story is funny, enchanting, and I love the subtle lesson in it. The illustrations are perfect. We love Rebecca Estelle!
on June 27, 2016
My 4 year old continually borrowed this book from the library, so we bought it. She has it nearly memorized. Quite a feat, in my mind. While I like the story and the character arc. Oh yes, ol' Rebecca Estelle experiences some growth in this children's book that spans more than a years time. Even after the 80th reading, I still feel a tug on my heart strings at the end. I also like the set up for Rebecca's original disdain for pumpkins. The writing is crisp and clean.

It's only nearly memorized because I cannot stand to read Rebecca's name as often as it appears. She lives alone- er.. with her cat. I don't need to continually call her by her whole name. And I don't Linda, you hear me!?