Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2011 7:43:33 AM PST
DryvBy says:
I played for about an hour 1/2 yesterday and I'm already on W-4. I remember this was the biggest issue I took with New Super Mario Bros. Wii, it being super short and hardly any reason to go back to play them. Does this suffer from that?

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 2:41:18 PM PST
Solway says:
No, it doesn't, It took me four hours to beat Bowser, but then I went back and got all the star coins, which took another five hours, maybe more. Then after beating bowser you unlock underworlds for each world with the exact same amount of levels as the original game, meaning there are 16 worlds. So even if you don't get star coins you are only 1/4 of the way through, and it gets VERY difficult in the second half of the special worlds. Getting the star coins on the special worlds is very difficult. I have died many times along the way.

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 11:09:34 PM PST
Wander says:
The game is actually pretty lengthy. Not only do you have the eight standard worlds but you also have to go back and collect all the Star Coins so that you may access all the levels in the 8 SPECIAL Worlds. That said, there are a grand total of 16 worlds you'll explore. If anything, some of the levels are short. Most of them are over quickly, but I think it offers some replay value in some regards.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 11:32:30 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Yeah, it's strange that no review mentioned just how many levels there are. After you beat the first 8 worlds and save the princess, the credits roll, but then you can go to the Special Worlds. A couple of the levels are the same as in the regular worlds with an added challenge, but the huge majority of them are entirely new levels that are much more challenging than the first half of the game.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 2:40:36 PM PST
Solway says:
I wouldn't say a majority, but yeah, there are some new levels.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 11:58:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2011 11:58:31 PM PST
David L. says:
As well as the 16 worlds, there's also a very large and challenging secret level by getting the 5 stars next to your save file. To get the five stars...
1. Beat Bowser
2. Get all Star Coins
3. Get all Golden Flags
4. Beat every stage as Mario
5. Beat every stage as Luigi

As of now, I have two stars next to my save file.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 11:51:53 AM PST
Sounds like a good challenge. I hope to at least get 3 or 4 stars for my file.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 7:56:13 PM PST
Tim Lai says:
Thanks David! That is pretty cool, I'm having trouble with the second one of course :)

As for the length issue, I defeated the eight standard worlds and collected all the star coins within 4 hours. I have played the game for 16 hours now and I am still struggling to collect all the star coins in the special worlds.

So in response, yes the standard worlds are trivial. That is because Nintendo designed those for new people. Any experienced 3D Mario gamer can blow right past them. The eight special worlds are for the more experienced players.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 12:49:43 AM PST
I beat this game over the weekend and also thought it was too short and a mite too easy (although I had one hell of a great time playing it). I had heard that beating the game opened a World 9, but no... EIGHT MORE ENTIRE WORLDS! Good lord, it's suddenly a very big Mario game. Especially considering that many of the "special" world stages are really, really tough, including the types of stages I had the most in video games: speed runs.

Thanks for the heads-up on that final bonus level, David... that pretty much ensures that Super Mario 3D Land still has a LOT of play time in store on my 3DS. I'm playing through all the "special" levels as Luigi, because his extended jumps are so handy... but having to beat every level as both characters will hopefully also help me make sure to get every gold flag; those are surprisingly difficult to nail in some stages if you're not in possession of the correct power-up. The gold star medals, though, I have to say, have been fairly easy to find. I had to look up a few, but for the most part, I've gotten each and every one of them on my own. I don't move on to the next level until I've found every star medal in the one I'm on, so I'm looking forward to eventually hitting 100% completion on this one.

Amazing how much content opens up right when you think you've beaten the whole thing! :D Go Nintendo! This is a really great game!

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 1:22:15 PM PST
All right, I gave it the New Year's weekend... and I now have all five stars on my file! The final World 8 "crown" level, however, is the most singularly impossible thing I have ever played. I can't get through it to save my life. The enemies are easy, but the platforming is absolutely unforgiving. Good luck to anyone opens up that beast. Does anyone know whether beating that level unlocks any particularly special new bonuses? Because I don't think I have it in me to keep trying, even with 137 lives stockpiled.

Also, beware World 7-4, especially if you're trying to snag all the star coins. I must have lost over 60 lives trying to get through that monstrosity of a level. Bad enough that you have to do a perfect run to get through it (you will need a Tanooki suit to survive!), but that they put one of those &$%# cosmic clones hot on your heels through the entire thing makes it one of the hardest game stages I have ever played. It took a LOT of willpower to not throw my 3DS across the room. When you finally defeat it, you breathe a sigh of relief that you'll never have to do it again... but then realize you must beat it as both Mario AND Luigi to get all the stars next to your save file. SO evil.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Super Mario 3D Land forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario 3D Land by Nintendo (Nintendo 3DS)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (880)