5.0 out of 5 stars This is undoubtedly a life-changing book., July 18, 1998
I can't say enough about the importance of this book. In short, Illich makes the point that there is a way in which the so-called "Third World" countries can avoid industrialization, and move directly into the post-industrialist state that the developed world is headed. There is no doubt in my mind that we will look back on this man's work sometime in the near future and realize how amazingly right he is. It is really a shame that he does not have more of an influence than he does. Some of the points in this book are so right that they seem impossible to refute or even question. I really can't even put into words the influence that the book has had on me. It is something everyone should read, and it's short enough that it can be done in a matter of a few hours. Please feel free to e-mail me and tell me what you thought of it, or of other works by this genius as I am going to work on trying to popularize and spread his ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars stunningly topical, August 27, 2012
This review is from: Tools for Conviviality (Paperback)
I was blown away by the fact that 40 years after it was first written, this little book can make so much sense!

5.0 out of 5 stars Who's got privilege? Not me!, August 21, 2014
I think Illich was way ahead of his time. He shows that any program, or lack of program should be questioned: "Who benefits, who pays, who decides" He talks a lot about the ideas of Privilege and of Monopoly. Most of us are unaware of our own privilege, even when we are aware of that of others. Henry George in "Progress and Poverty" offers a solution to the economic aspects of privilege and monopoly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Profound insight, November 11, 2014
This review is from: Tools for Conviviality (Paperback)
Incredibly well presented case for understanding our relationship with tools.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read!, July 20, 2001
By A Customer
"Leftists operate as industrial elitists and only serves big business with their social programs that insure the subordination of an underclass of consumers to keep the capital and mythical progressivism on motion"?? What are you smoking?!! Actually, many Marxists revere both Illich and Fromm. We currently live in a world marred by global finance-capital impoverishing and destroying the well-being of millions for the mega-profits of a few, and industrial realities play a key role in the problem... as well as the solution: its time for workers to harness for themselves what they create and have created for their own benefit locally and internationally. I really don't think a proper reading of "Tools for Conviviality" condradicts this.

5.0 out of 5 stars mind blowing., May 19, 1999
This review is from: Tools for Conviviality (Paperback)
This only fortifies my opinion that our leftists operate as industrial elitists and only serves big business with their social programs that insure the subordination of an underclass of consumers to keep the capital and mythical progressivism on motion.

Tools for Conviviality
Tools for Conviviality by Ivan Illich (Paperback - December 10, 2001)
$14.95 $12.15